Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

podcat posted:

We are making computer games, not history books so we can discriminate as much as we want with facts.
And everyone else can call you out on it as much as they want.

podcat posted:

although if you read my paragraph above you'll see how its different.
Seen in isolation, yes, but validating Stalin's paranoia has wider implications. Not enough perhaps to put them on equal footing to the Holocaust, but that's also a pretty high bar to set for inappropriate design decisions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This thread is ridiculous. The reality of WW2 is that it's not very interesting if everything plays out historically. So who gives a flying gently caress whether or not the Holocaust is present. Who cares if Stalin was a evil, paranoid, tyrannical dictator. That has nothing to do with make an interesting game. If you play Paradox games to roleplay you are a loving dipshit in the first place but even then, the magic of roleplay is that you are making up 99% of it up as you go along so go the extra mile and just ignore the event you clicked on or something. Jesus.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Drone posted:

Edit: also slightly off-topic but it's kinda sorta disheartening that, on the Hearts of Iron 4 website, the Axis side has a pretty overwhelming lead on the Allies or Comintern for beta signups.

Well you could read it as some commentary on their political leanings, I'd be prone to also just take it as the Axis usually has the most fun gameplay from '36 until '48 or '50 or whenever the game calendar ends.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I love how the thread goes into spasms of joy at seeing the Paradox forumites reaction to Sunset Invasion, yet spergs out hard at the suggestion by a Dev that they might not want to make a game where the player is actively complicit in the holocaust.

e: ps I really like developing recon and battle tactics to work together. It's definitely the sort of mechanic that builds into a grand strategy 'how do I provide the tools my army needs to win' theme rather than a wargame 'how do I move these identical counters around the map to win' theme.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 21, 2015

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Gas this thread

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

Alchenar posted:

I love how the thread goes into spasms of joy at seeing the Paradox forumites reaction to Sunset Invasion, yet spergs out hard at the suggestion by a Dev that they might not want to make a game where the player is actively complicit in the holocaust.

I don't think most people debating the issue are saying that? People seem to be saying that the Dev should not make a game where Stalin's purges are presented as the right thing to do by suggesting that there was a real Trotskyite conspiracy against Stalin, by analogising it to making a game where the holocaust is presented as the right thing to do because there was a real Jewish conspiracy against Germany. They're not saying "you should do the latter because you did the former", they're saying "since you realise doing the latter would be abhorrent, please don't do the former, or at the very least don't suggest it was the right thing to do".

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Has anyone yet mentioned the fact that Paradox's hands are very much tied by its legal team in this matter?

If the design premise is "we want to provide gameplay-based advantages to activating Stalin's Purges so that the player is in the same mindset (that it should have been done) as Stalin historically was", which is then juxtaposed against the complete omission of the Holocaust, the proposed solution isn't "how do we pull off the same thing with the Holocaust tastefully and legally", but rather "maybe we shouldn't try that approach at all because it would imply having to do the same with the Holocaust, which we then have to treat tastefully and legally"

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
I can send a million sprite soldiers to their doom, but mentioning Stalin's purges are a bridge too far

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Dibujante posted:

This is actually a pretty neat idea. Generally, games aren't good at simulating folly. E.g. if a player knows that raising tariffs on the 13 colonies will push them to rebellion, they simply won't. People have the benefit of hindsight now, and know not to purge the officers / support jiang-kai-shek / bomb pearl harbour / leave the ardennes lightly defended / support french colonialism in vietnam / start ww2 at all / vote reagan. I like that you're changing the "facts" to fit the facts as were understood at the time and that lead to the choices that people made.

Yeah, stamping out hindsight advantages as much as possible has been one of the core goals for HOI4.

also jeeeeesus this thread.....

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
A technology tree that allows for the development and use of nuclear weapons, but please nothing political- that means I care

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
Gas this thread.

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
I don't get this thread sometimes.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Kainser posted:

I don't get this thread sometimes.

Thanks for contributing this valuable opinion to it?

Edit: Though I guess I'm not really making things better.

I like the stuff in the new dev diary where recon companies give you a chance to pick the right counter to the one your opponent chose. Could be very powerful in larger battles. Not 100% sure if I like the hard limit of five support companies maximum per division, I would have thought cost would be enough of a limiter on its own. It may not even matter though, most divisions might only see marginal benefits from 6+ support companies anyway.

Gort fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Aug 21, 2015

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost
You guys are being dumbos. Try reading what podcat is saying from a game design perspective instead of getting morally outraged over a WW2 computer game?

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

Gas this thread.

Don't gas this thread, just purge it :iamafag:

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

podcat posted:

Obviously the german version can't contain that portrait for legal reasons though.

Please do a dramatic circus clown painting at the same angle and uniform to replace.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Disco Infiva posted:

Don't gas this thread, just purge it :iamafag:

:golfclap:

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Drone posted:

Aw, got excited for a sec that he would have been on the normal Bombcast for a few minutes to talk about PDS and stuff. I'm a GB fan but pretty much every time Paradox comes up, they all kinda adopt this leery tone of "yeah they're doing really well for themselves but those games... are weird..."

I mean, the learning curve for mapgames is still there, but with CK2 and EU4 it's nowhere near as extreme as it used to be, and the games aren't impenetrable. Especially considering they've been all about impenetrable games before (Brad and his Dota, basically everyone and their Souls franchise games, Drew with his crazy grognardy flight simulators).
Even being at a peak of popularity, map game coverage necessarily falls into niche media coverage because putting 100 hours into EU4 or CK2 is "a good start". That doesn't preclude coverage like you mention, although to provoke derail away from weird atrocity chat, Brad's Dota coverage is built on the shoulders of more dedicated players feeding him info, Drew is more interested in DCS World and Arma as an idea than putting time in to actually play, and Souls games aren't impenetrable like a map game and use the same basic skill set as mainline 3d action games.

Although I am pleasantly surprised about the interview and the CK2 livestream scheduled later today because the new guy spearheading all of that had previously said he shelved all the really involved strategy games he enjoyed for the time reason.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Wiz posted:

You guys are being dumbos. Try reading what podcat is saying from a game design perspective instead of getting morally outraged over a WW2 computer game?

Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg does the same thing with the purges- keeping Tukhachevsky on board gives you advantages but there's a chance of a military coup later on.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Wiz posted:

I was going to make this point, but figured we'd just get a page of people further making GBS threads up the thread trying to prove that the holocaust could be turned into interesting gameplay choices :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Fintilgin posted:

Please do a dramatic circus clown painting at the same angle and uniform to replace.

Please make this an option in the non-German version as well.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Since choice of tactics depends on composition, commander traits and doctrine will the AI take this into account when assigning commanders to forces (or forces to a commander)? Also will we be able to see what kind of tactics a given commander can use?

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Since choice of tactics depends on composition, commander traits and doctrine will the AI take this into account when assigning commanders to forces (or forces to a commander)? Also will we be able to see what kind of tactics a given commander can use?

yeah there is an interface you can open listing them all and what limits their use.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Nice.

Another question I was thinking of, will it be possible to see what choice another nation has made for its focus tree? I imagine some of them will pop up as global events, but I figure it might be necessary to get a kind of picture of just what Hitler or Stalin or whatever is up to when you choose your own.

podcat
Jun 21, 2012

Randarkman posted:

Nice.

Another question I was thinking of, will it be possible to see what choice another nation has made for its focus tree? I imagine some of them will pop up as global events, but I figure it might be necessary to get a kind of picture of just what Hitler or Stalin or whatever is up to when you choose your own.

you can see it. its part of espionagey stuff we'll talk about later.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Wiz posted:

You guys are being dumbos. Try reading what podcat is saying from a game design perspective
People have. That's why we've suggested alternatives to the current solution which would also incentivize the player to carry out the purges, except based on the historical fact that Stalin was paranoid as gently caress and not the paranoid delusions of a man responsible for immense misery in Eastern Europe.

Wiz posted:

instead of getting morally outraged over a WW2 computer game?
You mean like how Podcat says:

podcat posted:

The line really is if the events in question creep out my morals in which case they dont get in.
? The only difference being that Podcat puts the line somewhere else than we do?

podcat posted:

I was going to make this point, but figured we'd just get a page of people further making GBS threads up the thread trying to prove that the holocaust could be turned into interesting gameplay choices :(
That's not what people are doing.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Well, from purely a reasonable perspective, I do think that a 770+ page thread is getting a bit long in the tooth. The OP would need to be refreshed with the latest developments, like :woop: Stellaris :woop:, the latest CK2 patches, updated links to the new dev diaries for HOI4 and so on.

David Corbett
Feb 6, 2008

Courage, my friends; 'tis not too late to build a better world.
What Hitler portrait are we referring to anyway? It's been a long time since I've played vanilla HoI2, but I always remember like Hitler looking like his lovely old self with his bad hair and dumb moustache.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

unwantedplatypus posted:

Gas this thread

looking at today's date i think an icepick would be more appropriate.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

David Corbett posted:

What Hitler portrait are we referring to anyway? It's been a long time since I've played vanilla HoI2, but I always remember like Hitler looking like his lovely old self with his bad hair and dumb moustache.

HOI4 has hand painted "heroic" portraits instead of photos.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

This one.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Fintilgin posted:

HOI4 has hand painted "heroic" portraits instead of photos.

They should be randomly-generated CK2 style potraits, imo

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

That doesn't look like Berlin at all!

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Baronjutter posted:

That doesn't look like Berlin at all!

In ten years time, you won't recognise Berlin.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

podcat posted:

The line really is if the events in question creep out my morals in which case they dont get in.

Those events don't creep you out? Have you read transcripts of show trials at the height of the Purge, Old Bolsheviks pleading for their lives and proclaiming their love of Stalin until the very end? Solzhenitsyn's description of the gulags? Anything about the Katyn Massacre?

quote:

Blokhin initially decided on an ambitious quota of 300 executions per night; and engineered an efficient system in which the prisoners were individually led to a small antechamber—which had been painted red and was known as the "Leninist room"—for a brief and cursory positive identification, before being handcuffed and led into the execution room next door. The room was specially designed with padded walls for soundproofing, a sloping concrete floor with a drain and hose, and a log wall for the prisoners to stand against. Blokhin would stand waiting behind the door in his executioner garb: a leather butcher's apron, leather hat, and shoulder-length leather gloves. Then, without a hearing, the reading of a sentence or any other formalities, each prisoner was brought in and restrained by guards while Blokhin shot him once in the base of the skull with a German Walther Model 2 .25 ACP pistol.

While technically not a part of the Great Purge, I'm sure it would make for a great pop-up event. Perhaps it could lead to a diminished manpower pool for a future liberated Poland - and if your spies are skillful enough, you can put the blame on Nazi Germany and increase their belligerence. I also wonder how Paradox will model Operation Lentil. Maybe if you don't go through with the deportations, Chechnya will declare independence as a German puppet.

If you are being selective in your treatment of genocide because of legal issues, that is perfectly valid and you should just say so. But to treat this particular set of crimes against humanity, and these crimes only, as sort of a joke that does not deserve to be treated with gravitas, even outright stating that Stalin had ample justification to do the things that he did, still does not sit right with me. That's all. I will still buy the game and probably enjoy it, this is just my personal reaction to the previous dev diary and admittedly a point of criticism that not everyone seems to agree with..

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Gort posted:

In ten years time, you won't recognise Berlin.
There better be custom graphics for Berlin/Munich/Moscow if the Nazis hold any of them long enough.

e: They could be like the canals in EU4, a stupid waste of resources.

A Buttery Pastry fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 21, 2015

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
Don't worry, in Stellaris we'll be able to play Space Nazi Woodlice and eradicate Space Jew Seagulls.

Has there been any word yet how big the galaxy could be at its largest in Stellaris?
I want a huge galaxy, with a slow initial exploration phase

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Sad King Billy posted:

Don't worry, in Stellaris we'll be able to play Space Nazi Woodlice and eradicate Space Jew Seagulls.

Has there been any word yet how big the galaxy could be at its largest in Stellaris?
I want a huge galaxy, with a slow initial exploration phase
I don't think we've heard anything besides "1000 star systems" which I guess would be the default scale, although with support for custom/modded/determinate maps the scale should be at least modifiable down, if not up to some level that will cook your computer.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I think podcat is just a holocaust denier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I check the thread hoping for some news on space game and instead I'm not sure I have the ability to feel human anymore :(

• Locked thread