Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

I think the whole PBR thing peaked a couple years ago and it's on its way back out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

All about that Lone Star.

And Sony Lone Star would be an amazing name.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Pretty sure that if a customer finds a roach in her meal, and you get her a replacement, and the replacement also has a roach in it, and she refuses your offer of a comp and a gift certificate, *and* your place is filled from basement to rafters with other code violations, calling the cops on the customer is not the right course of action.

http://www.delcotimes.com/general-news/20150819/radnor-officials-find-many-more-code-violations-at-yangming-restaurant

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Phanatic posted:

Pretty sure that if a customer finds a roach in her meal, and you get her a replacement, and the replacement also has a roach in it, and she refuses your offer of a comp and a gift certificate, *and* your place is filled from basement to rafters with other code violations, calling the cops on the customer is not the right course of action.

http://www.delcotimes.com/general-news/20150819/radnor-officials-find-many-more-code-violations-at-yangming-restaurant

:stonklol:

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!
Literally basement to rafters. Goddamn. And the inspectors are just clear-cutting the whole operation; no better time to find a new location! Like jail!

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

Phanatic posted:

Even better is that the customers were the ones who told the owner to call the cops. :laugh:

Tonight when I slip on the leakage from our lovely coolers all I'll think about is how much worse it could be (also finding something to stabilize myself, but right after that!).

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

SHUPS 4 DETH posted:

Tonight when I slip on the leakage from our lovely coolers all I'll think about is how much worse it could be (also finding something to stabilize myself, but right after that!).

Right? I'll take the couple of dead roaches I sweep up daily over skittering hordes of live ones. :gonk: How does a place like that get so bad? Bribed/no inspections? I get hollered at for a stray bacon bit because of the constant of threat of inspections. (Ours happens sometimes every week and it's the Army, not the health dept, so my mileage may vary.)

And for those of you playing along at home, Sony's last name is:

wikipedia posted:

In 2013, Buzz Aldrin stated that "Tang sucks."
Couldn't agree more, on both levels. The fact that Wiki's "see also" points only to Instant Breakfast makes mindphlux's guess by far the closest winner. Well done!

JacquelineDempsey fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 21, 2015

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Wu tang?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

That's a great name. But Fujitsu Faygo is much better.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

and here I was hoping it was Toyota Tang

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

Errant Gin Monks posted:

That's a great name. But Fujitsu Faygo is much better.

I knew this kid in high school who drank tons of faygo. What a weird dude.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Today we learned that cooking meat 50F above correct temp for 14 hours results in roughly $1k in burnt, dry meat.

We threw away about half of it and soaked the rest in broth for a few hours to "salvage" it...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Secret Spoon posted:

I knew this kid in high school who drank tons of faygo. What a weird dude.

Juggalo.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Buffalo Trace makes more money on fireball than any other whiskey they sell.

Sazerac*

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I just spent the last week in Napa/Sonoma/SF with work, visiting wineries and drinking all manners of alcohol on someone else's dime. Including getting into some exclusive parties and clubs with some co-workers with connections.

To counteract this karmic indulgence, one of the nights I spent walking around with a homeless dude between one bar and the next. I bought him a lagunitas and we talked about cars n' guitars, his two favorite things. Vanishing Point, '72(?) Dodge challenger 440 sixpack.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Not to be pedantic but while both are owned by Sazerac, people distinguish between their operations for Barton's and the stills at Buffalo Trace,

Why yes I leave for Kentucky in the morning COMING IN HOT, LOUISVILLE.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
So explain to me how it takes one guy the amount of time it takes me to poo poo out 51 desserts to make 4 little pizzas?

Admittedly all the desserts are mostly made by the prep guy so all I do is plate em and dress em, but still...it takes like a minute tops for me to crank out a pizza, and I know I took like 8 min on the desserts cause we nuke the brownies back to warm since they sit in the cooler all day

MAKE NO BABBYS
Jan 28, 2010

bloody ghost titty posted:

Not to be pedantic but while both are owned by Sazerac, people distinguish between their operations for Barton's and the stills at Buffalo Trace,

Why yes I leave for Kentucky in the morning COMING IN HOT, LOUISVILLE.

Runamok?

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

Yes'm. Send me your baby bartenders for some port finished bourbon.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
NO. NONONONONONO. NO DONT CALL ME ON MY ONE DAY OFF THIS WEEK. gently caress YOU gently caress YOU gently caress YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
IM ASLEEEEEEEPP. IM DRUUUNNNNNNNNNKKK. I HAVE SYRETTES OF BLACK TAR SMACK IN EACH ARM AND COKE SMEARED ON MY FACEEEEEEE

LET ME HAVE ONE loving DAY PLEASE

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
oh praise the black baby jesus the sous just wanted to know where the chocolate cake was. its on a speed rack in the cooler, labeled: Chocolate Cake.

oh my god breathe. breathe. im having a panic attack, time for another cup of coffee.

AA is for Quitters posted:

So explain to me how it takes one guy the amount of time it takes me to poo poo out 51 desserts to make 4 little pizzas?

Admittedly all the desserts are mostly made by the prep guy so all I do is plate em and dress em, but still...it takes like a minute tops for me to crank out a pizza, and I know I took like 8 min on the desserts cause we nuke the brownies back to warm since they sit in the cooler all day

I have long since despaired of figuring out the rhyme or reason to how and why some people get the gears for little poo poo while others work on Jamaica Time (i.e. "i do when i feel like, mon") for fairly critical tasks with no apparent issues. You do you, booboo. Its all any of us can manage.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 22, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Yo dog where's the chocolate cake.

YOU SON OF A !!!

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Man, I hope CDC sees these posts, then calls him randomly to gently caress with him.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.
Yeah, this guy definitely runs on Jamaica time. To be fair, it's his first kitchen job. They moved him to flattop where he can do less damage, but since there was a 51 top of Cesar salads to make (and it's not like you can prep em in advance since they get soggy) and then open dessert menu for them they had him helping me on pantry last night.

Tonight's already off to a fun start. Wedding booked for salads at 430, entrees at 445. They got here at 330 instead of 4, and want everything half an hour early because of it.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

AA is for Quitters posted:

Tonight's already off to a fun start. Wedding booked for salads at 430, entrees at 445. They got here at 330 instead of 4, and want everything half an hour early because of it.

argh the people who show up early and don't understand why poo poo isn't ready yet are unbelievably frustrating.

"Why isn't our table for 14 ready yet?" etc.,

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Man, I hope CDC sees these posts, then calls him randomly to gently caress with him.

I usually like to tell him we're going to start prepping X item in a random, esoteric way. He loves them jokes, let me tell 'ya.

He did send me a photo of the other boss guy's SECOND pitcher of SWEET TEA for the night. Dude must loving love his diabeetus.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch

Trebuchet King posted:

argh the people who show up early and don't understand why poo poo isn't ready yet are unbelievably frustrating.

"Why isn't our table for 14 ready yet?" etc.,

I always wish people would tell them no, your reservation is in an hour, we have everything scheduled for that. Now here is the wine list, proceed to spend a bunch of money getting blitzed.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

THE SOUND OF A TOILET FLUSHING

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Hey CDC and Willie. My buddy has just shot 4 boars. He is going to give me a bunch of meat. If you guys want to come down to SA after i get it you are more than welcome to a share of the spoils!

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

I usually like to tell him we're going to start prepping X item in a random, esoteric way. He loves them jokes, let me tell 'ya.

I used to love to casually mention to servers how stoked I was that we were pulling the soda gun out in the kitchen remodel so we could switch over to all glass bottled soft drinks. In the hotel. The looks of absolute terror and horror were delicious.

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

pile of brown posted:

I used to love to casually mention to servers how stoked I was that we were pulling the soda gun out in the kitchen remodel so we could switch over to all glass bottled soft drinks. In the hotel. The looks of absolute terror and horror were delicious.

We don't have a fountain where I work. loving love the look on some of the guests face as they do the mental gymnastics to guess how much each bottle costs as their 9 year old is sucking down their 6th sprite.

Trebuchet King
Jul 5, 2005

This post...

...is a
WORK OF FICTION!!

wheeeeeee I'm getting promoted to some low-level management stuff, dealing with setting up register banks and booze ordering/deliveries. I'm super excited, even if perhaps I shouldn't be. I really want to open my own place someday, even if that's years and years away, and the financial side of things is the area I'm least familiar with--rendering this, hopefully, just the preparation the doctor ordered.

Plus, I like my boss and think he's good for the restaurant, so my stepping up in this regard should reduce his burnout risk.

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
Hi, I spent the past week or so reading the saga of this thread.

Anyway, I work FoH at a chain burger place. FoH at our place does cashier, food running, bussing, chatting up customers, shake making, etc. Also no tips*

I have a ton of respect for the BoH guys because they do everything in back just like we do everything up front. Almost all of my usual frustrations come from scheduling since we are a chain and are given an hour allowance that we are not supposed to go over in a week. This means that although I'm "the lunch person" and have been covering the lunch rush, my average shift is 2 hours. Tomorrow I get 4.5 hours because I'll be on for dinner too (with a 3h break between where I sit around because going home takes 45 mins one way)!

I enjoy the job for the most part, and the customers are really nice, but it occurred to me recently I could be making so much more if I worked at a place as a server getting tips instead of a glorified fast food employee.

Most of the guys in back are pretty great too, so I feel very lucky. Aside from times when I toss a burger or salad back to them because it was supposed to have/not have something on it or a topping looked gross, they're pretty on point. (Like seriously, the pickle had a chunk taken out that looked like a bite. And the avocado is almost black.)

MY BOYFRIEND works at the same place in BoH and when he catches up in the thread I'm sure he'll have some complaining to do since he works more hours than I do.

Edit: Fun story!

Last week there was a teacher in-service day, and every teacher in the district came in for lunch! We have maybe 20 tables total and there were about 5 or 6 employees working that day because Wednesdays aren't usually busy. That's where the simple list of FoH duties I wrote further up in the post comes in. It is my responsibility to take orders of the line that's still reaching to the outer door, run the orders from the window to the customer's tables as they're finished, make shakes, and bus/clean tables as people filter out.

When there's about 15 more people than you have tables and only 2 people working the front it got a little out of hand. I think we had some 15 minute ticket times when 7 is usually shameful for us. Since they all came in together for the most part they were understanding but we were kinda freaking out because the GM was out at a luncheon for the day or something and wouldn't be there to actually SEE how we got those poo poo numbers. So someone took a picture of the ticket screen just in case. :)

I'm so glad we didn't get any phone or online orders during that rush.

...we did get a phone order but we didn't answer so she came into the store instead like they usually do.
The job only gets hectic when it's busy enough that I have orders still to take while there's food that needs to go out and a table leaving or waiting for a shake. Overall pleasant and I'm glad I'm not in the kitchen.

moonsour fucked around with this message at 03:36 on Aug 24, 2015

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Your average shift is two hours?

:aaaaa:

Secret Spoon
Mar 22, 2009

A Man and his dog posted:

Your average shift is two hours?

:aaaaa:

Yeah I'm actually with this.

What the gently caress is a two hour shift even like, especially since you drive an hour and a half round trip.

E: do you work at steak and shake?

moonsour
Feb 13, 2007

Ortowned
It's a 15 minute drive! I just have to take the bus usually. And an average shift is to basically take care of the rush and reset tables for dinner.

Also it's not steak and shake!

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't hating or anything. I've just never heard in any industry of a 2-4 hour work day.

Like I get an hour to just set up my main joint.

Anyways crushed it this weekend on tips. The season on the beach is dying down so 2nd job is getting slower.

Also my main job switched POS systems like 1-2 months ago. Owner hated it and now we are going to another system in a few days lol.

The system we are replacing is that loving tablet system Clover. It was never made for a turn N burn pizzeria. That's why you see that system in retail and coffee shops.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
Is it alright if I plug a single night private party gig here? A member at the club I work at needs a bartender. I'll go into more specifics if a mod okays this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If your average shift is two hours, quit and find somewhere that you can actually make some money.

I worked for a guy who loved having huge piles teams on the rush, and was very quick to send people home as soon as anything slowed down. Sometimes people would end up with like 2h total in a day, on splits. He stopped doing that to me after I screamed at his idiot sous in front of the whole staff for having called me on my day off :frogsiren: because we're getting slaughtered and need you :frogsiren:, only to tell me "false alarm lol you can go home don't sign in," after I dropped everything that I was doing and drove two miles to help with "his emergency." I quit not long after.

And the oval office went out of business because he couldn't keep staff and he wondered why. (His restaurant also sucked.)

• Locked thread