Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I have a Pelikan M1000 and it's honestly one of the most disappointing pens I've ever owned.

The nib is nothing to shout about compared to Japanese nibs a half to two-thirds of its price, and the body is unwieldy in the hand in a way the other big-rear end flagship pens are not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
I got my girlfriend a Pilot Custom 74, it's really nice.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I wonder what I should do for ink too. I already have the four inks that caught my eye when I started wasting money on this stupid crap in the first place: Ancient Copper, Alt Goldgrun, 54th Mass, and Fuyu-Shogun. I feel like something is pretty well underrepresented by this selection, but I'm not sure what.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
No purple or violet. Also, no J. Herbin.

Luckily, you could fix both of those with a fine bottle of Poussière de Lune!

e. Speaking of J. Herbin, does anyone have Vert Empire and a really wet/broad pen? When I use it in a dip pen (clumsily), it comes out beautiful and dark, but all my pens are fine-ish or smaller, so in practice, it's just a nice subdued green. I'm kinda curious if it comes out super dark in any FP.

Zenostein fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Aug 21, 2015

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Woo, just ordered me a bottle of Noodler's Raven Black. Looking forward to seeing it in person, I don't actually have a good black on hand, I just realized.

Not sure why this one's Canadian-exclusive but it looks like such a pretty black.

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Zenostein posted:

That's one I've considered actually. That and this. I have a sample of the Noodler's and it looks fantastic but kinda stinks and creeps like crazy. A nice dusty purple would be alright by me though.

GoodBee
Apr 8, 2004

I went to look at the Goulet nibs and it looks like a bunch are out of stock. I think a broad nib will work well in my Konrad. It's red and I fill it with red ink so I can mark things giant and red.

Then I added 6 ink samples.

And the Goulet nibs fit the Jinhao pens, so I should get a $10 pen and an italic nib to go with these ink samples. It's only $50. It's not bad.

Speaking of cheap pens, does anyone want to do a swap? I have a Grey Fox Ahab that I don't care for. It's mostly because I think it's really ugly.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Meldonox posted:

That's one I've considered actually. That and this. I have a sample of the Noodler's and it looks fantastic but kinda stinks and creeps like crazy. A nice dusty purple would be alright by me though.

Poussière de Lune is a great color, and since it behaves nicely with even horrendously cheap and pulpy papers, I nearly always have a Safari full of it laying around. Plus, that dusty purple looks especially nice on ivory-ish papers, like in moleskines (even if it does take ages to dry on them).

It's also a nice contrast color with basically everything, for headers and things in notes and lists.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Zenostein posted:

e. Speaking of J. Herbin, does anyone have Vert Empire and a really wet/broad pen? When I use it in a dip pen (clumsily), it comes out beautiful and dark, but all my pens are fine-ish or smaller, so in practice, it's just a nice subdued green. I'm kinda curious if it comes out super dark in any FP.

I believe I have a sample of vert empire, I'll look tomorrow and if I do I'll take a shot of what it looks like with a super wet 2mm stub.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011

Meldonox posted:

I wonder what I should do for ink too. I already have the four inks that caught my eye when I started wasting money on this stupid crap in the first place: Ancient Copper, Alt Goldgrun, 54th Mass, and Fuyu-Shogun. I feel like something is pretty well underrepresented by this selection, but I'm not sure what.

When starting out, get samples. Inks are a rabbit hole where if you're not careful you could easily end up with 15 bottles you use twice, if you're lucky.

2mL is enough for two or three full fills, depending on the pen.

Some notes on the inks you listed: Ancient Copper is a popular colour that cruds up the nib if you're not careful (I found it to be too brown); Alt-Goldgrun is the most gorgeous glowy olivey green you'll ever find (and has the unfortunate habit of feathering on EVERYTHING with any nib larger than Fine); Fuyu-syogun is gorgeous, well-behaved, and has a translucence that is attractive in broader nibs and too light to use as body text in a Metropolitan Medium. A Western medium is pushing it. My favourite use for it is in calligraphy (headings and such) and sketching.

e to add:

Zenostein posted:

Poussière de Lune is a great color, and since it behaves nicely with even horrendously cheap and pulpy papers, I nearly always have a Safari full of it laying around. Plus, that dusty purple looks especially nice on ivory-ish papers, like in moleskines (even if it does take ages to dry on them).

It's also a nice contrast color with basically everything, for headers and things in notes and lists.

The batch of PdL I got is this awful unsaturated reddish colour. It's very readable as a body text colour, but not to my taste.

Fall fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Aug 22, 2015

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

neongrey posted:

Woo, just ordered me a bottle of Noodler's Raven Black. Looking forward to seeing it in person, I don't actually have a good black on hand, I just realized.

Not sure why this one's Canadian-exclusive but it looks like such a pretty black.

:eyepop:

I'm unabashed in my love for Noodler's Borealis Black. A similarly dark and saturated black that's also bulletproof is very attractive.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Just want to give a shout out for xFountainPens.com

Got a bottle of night sapphire that didn't work right in any pen and worked mediocre in a other.. I contacted them past the 30 day mark asking for suggestions for additions.. they are sending a new bottle of ink of a different color so I can give it a shot.. hopefully this will redeem diamine / chesterfield in my eyes.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Brightman posted:

Good to hear, wasn't sure about Lamy's XFs, I know I got the Pilot Penmanship but I guess that is a Japanese EF and that thing is scratchy as all get out. I have a Lamy with a 1.5 italic that I've used for work junk before, guessing you got the 1.9 maybe? I know with the 1.5 it can be thick but if I angle it a bit I can cramp up the writing enough to write legibly on notebook paper.

You probably need to switch the Sailor and the gold VP, I don't know how much a steel nib VP costs, but I got my 18k gold one for $99 (130 + 2 free bottles of ink) and they typically can be had for $140...now if you get one of the collector's editions like Raden then yeah, that's super pricey, maybe that's what you were thinking of? Sailors are like 250~350 depending, the one I got has an msrp of 400 but I got it for 328, generally you can find any of the pricier pens for like 50 or more off, like the Lamy 2k can be had for 150 instead of 200 more often than not, the steel one is listed at 300 I think...maybe it's listed higher and sells at 300. At any rate the 2K has a great nib and the Makrolon version looks so classic and innocuous, I love it.

I was remembering some more basic Sailor pen, but you're right, VPs with gold nibs can be imported from Japan for very reasonable prices (there's absolutely no reason to buy Japanese pens from sellers outside Japan, unless you need them right now or want to support a particular shop).

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Solumin posted:

:eyepop:

I'm unabashed in my love for Noodler's Borealis Black. A similarly dark and saturated black that's also bulletproof is very attractive.

Wonder Pens doesn't normally ship outside of Canada but I think they're willing to make exceptions for Raven Black and Blue Upon The Plains of Abraham since they're the only source for them. Probably worth shooting them an email.

Looking forward to it getting here.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Dear Amazon,

Stop offering things I want for prices I can afford, tia.

Love,
Your Man Shran
----------------

Amazon currently has the 14k version of the Platinum 3776 for $70-80, and a few Pilot Custom 74s for the same. Both shipping from the USA and fulfilled from hamazon.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

My Man Shran posted:

Dear Amazon,

Love,
Your Man Shran
----------------

Amazon currently has the 14k version of the Platinum 3776 for $70-80, and a few Pilot Custom 74s for the same. Both shipping from the USA and fulfilled from hamazon.

I just got a 14k Soft Fine 3776 for $86, and it's quickly becoming one of my favorite pens. I'd jump on that asap, man.

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

My Man Shran posted:

Dear Amazon,

Love,
Your Man Shran
----------------

The Custom 74 is a nice pen. Go for it!

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

So if I had to choose between the 74 and the 3776, which is the better? :v:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Meldonox posted:

So if I had to choose between the 74 and the 3776, which is the better? :v:

They both use a converter, but the Pilot comes with their pump converter (CON-70) that is a little larger but harder to clean thoroughly. I like the platinum converter more. The 3776 feels a little bit heftier in the hand too, but the 74 is just a bit longer overall. I probably like my 3776 just a hair more, and specifically because of the soft fine nib. It's comparable to the FA nibs for the Custom 912, and is just incredible to write with.

The real solution is to get both :getin:

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

howe_sam posted:

The M600 is great, my only, and very minor, complaints are that it's just a shade too short unposted for my taste

:justpost:

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Dumb question but I noticed that my pilot cartridges have a small black plastic thing in them. Do I have to worry about that getting stuck or something when refilling? What is it even :v:

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

Xun posted:

Dumb question but I noticed that my pilot cartridges have a small black plastic thing in them. Do I have to worry about that getting stuck or something when refilling? What is it even :v:

Is it a disc shape? It's the cap that was in the mouth of the cartridge.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Kerbtree posted:

Is it a disc shape? It's the cap that was in the mouth of the cartridge.

Yeah, it looks like it's kind of stuck in. Does it do anything?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I've never had a problem with them, even when refilling with a giant eyedropper instead of a syringe. I wouldn't worry about it unless you can see that the ink is having trouble getting past it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

It may even be benefiting your ink flow by acting as an agitator.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Kessel posted:

It may even be benefiting your ink flow by acting as an agitator.

Ding ding ding. It is an agitator.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I actually had tremendous ink flow issues with my Faber Castell converter until, out of frustration, I cut a used FC cartridge in half, stole the little plastic ball agitator from inside it, and forced it into the converter.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

Zenostein posted:

This is what I meant:

Out of pretty much any fountain pen I try, Vert Empire looks like the rightmost loop of "Hoeffler," a light olive green. I'm wondering if that's just how it is in any fountain pen — even in my F Pelikan (m215), which I consider a pretty wet pen — it ends up that lighter green. It's still very nice, but it would be great to get the deeper green out of a fountain pen.

Incidentally, in case I hosed the color balance or something: everything below "Hoeffler" is india ink and a crow quill, and above is Vert Empire with a "101 Imperial" nib.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Zenostein posted:

This is what I meant:

Out of pretty much any fountain pen I try, Vert Empire looks like the rightmost loop of "Hoeffler," a light olive green. I'm wondering if that's just how it is in any fountain pen — even in my F Pelikan (m215), which I consider a pretty wet pen — it ends up that lighter green. It's still very nice, but it would be great to get the deeper green out of a fountain pen.

Incidentally, in case I hosed the color balance or something: everything below "Hoeffler" is india ink and a crow quill, and above is Vert Empire with a "101 Imperial" nib.

You can try pouring out a small amount in to a separate container and adding a (very, very) small drop of dish detergent.

teraflame
Jan 7, 2009
Anyone have any experience with Pilot Custom Maple? I saw it in person and now I lust for it.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Did you hold it in your hands? It's lighter than the normal 845s and I find that that makes it more difficult to write with.

You also have to be careful with the wood because it can pick up ink stains. Honestly, they're pretty but I'd just go with the normal 845.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Thoughts on the new Diamine Shimmer inks? I thought the blue and silver looked nice but it's too much glitter all at once :v:

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Alder posted:

Thoughts on the new Diamine Shimmer inks? I thought the blue and silver looked nice but it's too much glitter all at once :v:

I haven't used them first hand, but I'm pretty spoiled by the J. Herbin 1670 inks so they'll have quite a hump to overcome when I do.

Fall
Jun 6, 2011
from the Goulet blog:

:swoon: I love the mix of bolder and more muted colours. They've got what looks like a souped-up Pelikan Edelstein Aventurine and Diamine Ancient Copper in there. Night Sky will probably become a staple for me, Golden Sands, like the Herbin Amber, looks so useless but I bet I could splash it across a page and spend ages making art out of it.

I wish they'd put out a set of like 15ml bottles. Their retro equivalent -- glitter pens -- were great and all when I was 12, but they weren't usable outside of cards and such and I don't anticipate I'll get 50mLs of mileage out of them now.

NeurosisHead posted:

I haven't used them first hand, but I'm pretty spoiled by the J. Herbin 1670 inks so they'll have quite a hump to overcome when I do.

Do tell! What do you use them for?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

I'm just disappointed that they didn't make a dark, piney green with gold flakes.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Aww yiss, speaking of 1670, my 1670 Massdrop showed up today. Emerald of Chivor is a fascinating color, and Bleu Ocean reminds me of Edelstein Sapphire, but sparkly. I also got Rouge Hematite to round out my 1670 collection, but haven't inked up a pen with it yet.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
My order isn't scheduled to be delivered until Friday. UPS Surepost is the loving worst.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Emerald of Chivor is so pretty :sparkles:
Of the four I think the sparkles behave the best in this one, they're very easy to distribute vs how heavy the others seem when I'm shaking up the bottle. Beyond that, the color and shading is gorgeous -- this would be a really pretty ink even without being sparkly. The only pen I had clean that I can easily clean 1670 ink out of was my Hero 395 and it looks great writing with that soft nib. The green seems appropriate coming out of a copper pen as well, lol.

I don't know about anybody else but I haven't been saving the 1670 inks for any special purpose -- just ink up a pen and write with them if I'm feeling like having fancy notes.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I do a lot of letter and postcard writing and that's what I use them for too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

My Man Shran posted:

I'm just disappointed that they didn't make a dark, piney green with gold flakes.

Yeah, I'd love that myself. I'm gonna grab Emerald of Chivor, but in a perfect world I'd want something without the red luster.