Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

You could probably stick it in the oven, reflow the solder on the cooling vanes and be could to go.

(god drat son)

Makes me glad Audi went overboard on their condensor coils...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0toShifty
Aug 21, 2005
0 to Stiffy?
I have several things here:

A 1984 VW Scirocco with partially charged freon sytem
A nice R-134a Manifold Gauge set
A Harbor Freight single stage vacuum pump
A R-134 can valve
An unopened (!!!) case of R-12 cans :unsmigghh: (I actually have the EPA cert)

So I need a can tap for the R-12 cans obviously.

Do I run R-134 adapters and use my current gauges, or should I go find an old guy who has old R12 gauges?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

0toShifty posted:

A R-134 can valve

Do I run R-134 adapters and use my current gauges, or should I go find an old guy who has old R12 gauges?

Just run the current gauges and add R-134 conversion adapters. Not a major issue.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

dyne posted:

Backstory: I bought a used 2008 STI this past winter. This past spring, the AC pulley bearing went bad and I believe the friction related heat melted the wire insulation of the electromagnet coil. I cut the AC belt off (it's a stretch fit belt) and proceeded to drive it until last week until I decided to fix it.

The compressor turned pretty easily by hand so I figured that it was fine, and just replaced the AC clutch, pulley, and coil with used parts. I have a compressor as well but didn't want to deal with recharging the system.

Problem: The AC makes a whirring/whiney type noise when the AC is on and the car is idling (800-1200 rpm). The noise nearly entirely goes away at 1500 rpm and above. It's blowing cool (not really cold) air. There's no noise when the AC is off.

The clutch activates okay and doesn't visibly slip. It's not a squealing sound and it's a new stretch fit belt so I don't think that's a problem. There was no play in the pulley bearing and it spun freely, and there's no sound when the AC is not activated so I don't think the bearing is the problem either.

Any thoughts? I'm guessing the compressor is bad. I can't check the pressures at the moment as my manifold gauges are 800 miles away.

I just decided to pick up a new set of gauges so I could get this worked out before a road trip. The old compressor didn't seem to be generating the correct pressures (was getting 60s on the low side and 120s on high side at 80 degrees). I picked up another vacuum pump and swapped out the compressor, and recharged the system. It's now working great.

Question: I was only able to dump out about a quarter ounce of oil out of the old compressor, so should I add any PAG oil? I have one of those combo 1oz PAG100/1oz r134 cans that I can put in (plus I was about 2oz shy of the recommended amount of r134 so I couldn't hurt in that respect)..

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

CommieGIR posted:

Just run the current gauges and add R-134 conversion adapters. Not a major issue.

But you might want to tape a note on there that the system is still r12 for future reference, almost any shop that sees the 134 adapters will just assume the system underwent conversion even if you directly tell them it didn't

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

0toShifty posted:

A R-134 can valve

Sell the R12 for thousands of dollars and put R134 in the car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

0toShifty posted:

A R-134 can valve

My R134 gauges unscrew at the ends and already have R12 fittings, but mine are from HF.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ShittyPostmakerPro posted:

So I finally took Motronics advice from last year and replaced my condenser. Anyone know if this is still good to use? Just wondering if the replacement was necessary...

This needs to go over in the mechanical failures thread. That's amazing.

:stonklol:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Oh man, I really regret not fixing the AC on my Miata this year. The temperature's been at pretty much record levels for a couple of weeks and I'll need to drive like 4 hours tomorrow. It'll probably be too hot for top-down and likely even more miserable with the (black) roof up. Also no brick and mortar shops seem to have one of those recharge kits :(

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

BrokenKnucklez posted:

My R134 gauges unscrew at the ends and already have R12 fittings, but mine are from HF.

Mine don't. If anyone can actually find R134>R12 adaptors for gauges let me know please I have looked quite a bit. I think I actually even asked in one of these threads like a year ago. Also would like to know where to find adapters for house AC as well...

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
I found some on eBay, they are just short lengths of hose with the correct fitting on each end. Something like this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...2316076759.html

The easier/cheaper solution may be to get R134a adapters for the R12 system in the car instead. They are just fittings which screw over the end of your old R12 ports. I had to remove the schrader on the low-side to fit mine (not a problem if there's no refrigerant in the system).

edit: in fact, the item I linked to is just a set of R12 to R12 fittings, with a R134a adapter screwed onto the male end. Hah.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

revmoo posted:

Mine don't. If anyone can actually find R134>R12 adaptors for gauges let me know please I have looked quite a bit. I think I actually even asked in one of these threads like a year ago. Also would like to know where to find adapters for house AC as well...

Amazon. They sell yellow jacket gauges which seem to be highly regarded (according to motronic)

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

mobby_6kl posted:

Oh man, I really regret not fixing the AC on my Miata this year. The temperature's been at pretty much record levels for a couple of weeks and I'll need to drive like 4 hours tomorrow. It'll probably be too hot for top-down and likely even more miserable with the (black) roof up. Also no brick and mortar shops seem to have one of those recharge kits :(

Harbor freight sells gauge sets and cans of r134a.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.

BrokenKnucklez posted:

Amazon. They sell yellow jacket gauges which seem to be highly regarded (according to motronic)

Seconding the Ritchie/Yellow Jacket gauges. I have several of their products and use them just about every day. The only thing I have complaints about are their digital micron gauges. Poorly made. CPS is the way to go for those.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Another crosspost with the mechanical failure thread :( I have successfully diagnosed my AC error code:

:kheldragar:

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

The AC in my 04 RX8 went out a month or so ago. On its last few days working it was spitting water droplets out the center vents and then a thin piece of plastic came out another vent. Now the compressor no longer comes on and there isn't even a hint of cold air.

Fortunately the OP was a really good run down of how the AC system works and was a huge help in confirming that my AC is completely hosed. So thanks for saving me the 100 bucks or whatever I'd have wasted trying to recharge it like a dummy. :smith:

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs
Doesn't water from the vents mean evaporator freezing? Which means low refrigerant?

You should do a quick visual with a UV light and look for leaks, check the valve cores, and get a set of loaner gauges and see if there is any pressure in the system too.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

SperginMcBadposter posted:

Harbor freight sells gauge sets and cans of r134a.

I'm not in the states, sadly. However I left early enough in the morning that it was just getting unbearably hot when I arrived.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

mafoose posted:

Doesn't water from the vents mean evaporator freezing? Which means low refrigerant?

Could also mean moisture in the system causing the evaporator to freeze. Could also be a leaking heater core.

Any unusual sounds from the compressor? Does it turn smoothly by hand? Is there a sight glass near the receiver-dryer/accumulator?

The compressor no longer coming on isn't a bad sign - it could just be a cut-off due to low pressure. My compressor didn't come on as Toyota fitted a speed sensor to the compressor, to detect when it has jammed. Usually it's a pressure cut-off.

Best bet is to buy a set of manifold gauges and check your own pressures.

Plastic coming from the vents will be unrelated to the AC system itself. Could be a piece from inside the heater/AC box. My car can sense when the internal doors/flaps are not working, and will not run the system. Perhaps yours is the same, and something is stuck inside.

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Could also mean moisture in the system causing the evaporator to freeze. Could also be a leaking heater core.

Any unusual sounds from the compressor? Does it turn smoothly by hand? Is there a sight glass near the receiver-dryer/accumulator?

The compressor no longer coming on isn't a bad sign - it could just be a cut-off due to low pressure. My compressor didn't come on as Toyota fitted a speed sensor to the compressor, to detect when it has jammed. Usually it's a pressure cut-off.

Best bet is to buy a set of manifold gauges and check your own pressures.

Plastic coming from the vents will be unrelated to the AC system itself. Could be a piece from inside the heater/AC box. My car can sense when the internal doors/flaps are not working, and will not run the system. Perhaps yours is the same, and something is stuck inside.

No noise from the compressor and it seems to spin freely. It doesnt stick or feel gritty or anything. I COULD buy the gauges and check the pressure, but my budget is so tight right now I wouldnt be able to afford to fix it afterwards. :v:

I couldnt find the accumulator. It might be hidden under something. Or maybe I was looking for the wrong thing.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
If you have an accumulator - Your system will use a receiver/dryer - most of them are roughly the size of a 1 liter soda bottle and are usually silver/aluminum.

But you need gauges - simply throwing parts at a car is much more expensive than proper diagnostics.

edit: :doh: yeah i was thinking something else.

But this is what most of them look like - your results may vary depending on your system.

BrokenKnucklez fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Aug 11, 2015

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

The car will either have an expansion valve and receiver/dryer, or an orifice tube and receiver. Sometimes, the accumulator or receiver will have a sight glass on it. Sometime it won't.

The fact that the compressor spins freely is a good sign for the overall health of the system, but there's still a good chance that you are low on refrigerant. Seconding the need for a manifold gauge here to see what the issue is. These aren't expensive if you buy second hand, and are useful to have around, as they will work on 99% of all car AC systems.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

Great Beer posted:

. I COULD buy the gauges and check the pressure, but my budget is so tight right now I wouldnt be able to afford to fix it afterwards. :v:

That's why I said loaner gauges. Parts stores should have rentable ones.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

You never know what kind of life the loaner gauges have lead - the ones I borrowed from AutoZone wound up being nearly 100 PSI off on the high side. Also had a cracked gauge face.

When I mentioned it to them, they said "*sigh* yeah, unfortunately any idiot can rent them, and they treat them like poo poo".

I bought their $55 gauges, turns out my high side was a bit over 300 PSI, not the 210 the loaners were showing. Explains why the compressor would run for about half a second at a time the next day once the sun was out!

Oh yeah, R134a is much, much cheaper at Wal-Mart. <$7 can there, usually $10+ for store-brand at AutoZone.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Not only that, walmart cans (the white ones with blue lettering) are stopleak free, as far as I could tell reading the ingredients list! So that's what I bought. So far so good, I've had working AC in the Forester for a month or two now.

Another crosspost with the mechanical failure thread :( I have successfully diagnosed my AC error code:

:kheldragar:

I think that might actually be dirtier on the inside than the outside. Impressive.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I'm currently removing the entire AC system and throwing it in the garbage. I'll get replacement parts from a junkyard. A whole car may be cheaper, so I may end up doing that instead.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009
I"m not sure if this has been covered yet (my apologies if it has) but I didn't see it covered in the OP(s). I have to add a bit of oil to my (R134A) system, and have a container here I bought a while ago that has 1 oz R134A, 1 oz PAG 46 oil, and 1 oz of :siren:"Ice32 Performance Enhancer".:siren: This exact can, actually. I have already made sure that the oil is correct - my car calls for Nippondenso ND-8 which crosses over to PAG 46.

I figure the performance enhancer poo poo is just some gimmick, but is there any reason I shouldn't add this to my car? What is the "performance enhancer" stuff exactly? It doesn't really say on the can - just has some marketing fluff that says "advanced chemistry for improved cooling and extended compressor life". I guess I'm wondering if this additional ounce is more oil, or more refrigerant, or something else??

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
The performance enhancer will be another gas that alters the performance of the refrigerant. It turns your R134a+oil system into an unknown mixture that you can no longer properly diagnose with pressure and temperature readings, though.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

EightBit posted:

The performance enhancer will be another gas that alters the performance of the refrigerant. It turns your R134a+oil system into an unknown mixture that you can no longer properly diagnose with pressure and temperature readings, though.

Yup. You dont need mystery snake oil ingredients to get ice cold ac.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Full disclosure: I'm dumb when it comes to A/C.

I'm buying a truck (2001 Silverado, 5.3L) that has a strange problem. I jumped in it, A/C was running and cool air from the vents. I drove it down the road and wanted to test the heat so I moved the knob from cool to hot. Heat worked, and I twisted it back and A/C no longer worked. Only hot air from the vents. Before when it was working, I looked under the hood I saw the A/C lines were frosting over, and after the drive (after it wasn't working for a bit) they were dripping with condensation but not frozen anymore.

Of course the dealer says they'll give it a recharge before I pick it up but does it sound like that's the problem? Or something with the doors that open and close for the vents?

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Blend doors, or the cable from the knob to the blend door broke.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Moisture in the system can cause the evaporator to freeze after a few minutes which will reduce its cooling ability (ice is an insulator), but yeah if you're getting hot air (rather than outside-temp air) then it's probably your blend door rather than the AC itself.

The whole 'recharge it and see!! $$$' philosophy at most shop really pisses me off.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Blend doors. The Silverado/suburban family is notorious on eating blend door motors.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Awesome, thanks dudes. Sounds like it should be well documented on how to fix it then, too.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Recharged my '90 RX-7 a little while back, after replacing both schrader valves (I suspected the low side was leaking, based on the little psst! I got when I removed the cap. While I was in there with the valves out, I added some UV dye. Well, the valves may or may not have been leaking, but I found where it definitely is leaking:

Through the UV glasses:

Nuts.
Looks like I may be able to get an o-ring kit for it and just replace the front cover o-rings and shaft seal (because you;re already in there...) Just need to confirm that it's the factory installed Nippon-Denso, rather than the dealer installed whatever.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If your '90s Denso compressor is like my '90s Denso compressor, replacing the shaft seal is a bitch to do without damaging it. The main o-rings should be easy to find though. Be careful not to damage the shaft seal when replacing the front housing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just a follow up: AC is still ice cold in my Audi using R152 and Esther oil.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Any reason why you used esther oil and not PAG-46? I'm planning to regas my old R12 system after replacing every single freaking component, and was wondering which oil to use. There would still be some mineral oil residue in the replacement (junkyard) parts, but I don't think it matters?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Any reason why you used esther oil and not PAG-46? I'm planning to regas my old R12 system after replacing every single freaking component, and was wondering which oil to use. There would still be some mineral oil residue in the replacement (junkyard) parts, but I don't think it matters?

Compatability and Availability. Esther oil is compatible with both R134 and R152 and will work with any remaining Mineral Oil, as well as it was easy to find.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

I've just read up on it, apparently it's compatible with everything and you can also get it with some anti acid/corrosion additives, which considering my history with :kheldragar: BLACK DEATH :kheldragar: is probably not a bad thing to have.

My bottle of PAG oil has some milky white swirls in it and is of questionable age. I'm gonna go ahead and assume it's moisture contaminated and not use it.

In other news:

Last week I filled my receiver/drier with the correct amount of PAG oil (I didn't have my manifold gauges with me at the time), vaccd the system and found it leaking slowly. I haven't touched it since (been waiting for UV dye to turn up, it just did). Is the drier now garbage? They aren't cheap. But neither is a compressor, so.... have I just answered my own question, or am I being over cautious?

• Locked thread