Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Chairman Capone posted:

This may seem like a strange question, but I know there's a born again belief that grey aliens are actually demons and alien abductions are just a Satanic trick somehow, I guess to try and make people think that there's a 'scientific' explanation for Biblical truths or something like that. I'd think that idea would be fertile ground for a Christian horror movie... does anyone know if a film with that plot has ever been made?

Signs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
Also Knowing, although that film sort of spins it in the opposite direction.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Lamprey Cannon posted:

Also Knowing, although that film sort of spins it in the opposite direction.

That one is more like Childhood's End, but yeah exactly.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn't there a movie about Bigfoot recently that had devil grays living in the woods?

21st Cherry boy
Jan 28, 2004
i'm a girl, fucktard
Was there a sequel to that Tribulation movie that involved Mister T? I picked it up from the dollar store a while ago. I don't think I finished it though, I fell asleep. But I remember the name Hannah.
Are there any actually interesting movies or books about the apocalypse? The events described sounds awesome, but somehow every version I've read or seen of it is snore-inducing. Left Behind books were the worst offenders.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

DStecks posted:

Spoilered because this sounds like a loving pro watch:

Sounds like the typical "We don't really understand it, but rather than try, we'll just make a movie with all the outlandish bullshit we can come up with about it and mix in some persecution complex for the god fearin' people"

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Since this thread could use some good movies on faith:

K. Waste posted:

Premieres here tomorrow [Sunday], 8:00 p.m. EDT

About an hour before then I'll also be running through a playlist of music that I feel relates to the movie, including some Leonard Cohen, Junior Murvin, Nina Simone, Queen, lotsa good stuff.

In case it's confusing, I did a minor re-edit on the silent masterpiece The Passion of Joan of Arc with music from Alejandro Jodorowsky's El Topo and especially The Holy Mountain. S'gonna be good.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Questions and something to share for film buff goons ITT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5sOOCb1JjM

I came across a video made by an evangelical critical of the film industry. It's another one of those "oh hey, take everything at literal face value and not try to interpret things better".

He praises Ben Hurr in the first section, and just seems to be more so focused on the Crucifixition scene than anything in that entire movie.

He then moves onto bitch about "Inherit the Wind", "Elmer Gantry" and "The Last Temptation of Christ" as being movies that are overly critical of his faith. Also he deems all three "blasphemous" among other things.

Now that I've heard him bitch about these things, what would a more "normal" look at those four movies sound like?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
I've heard the Last Temptation to be a contest against the Passion for a "good family Easter viewing", but I never thought that highly of the Passion anyways

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
On the topic of Last Temptation of Christ just reminded me that nearly 15 years ago or so I saw something about some guy who was trying to get a movie made about his experiences running a video store and the protests and threats that occurred when they started to carry TLToC in the 1980s. The story sounded interesting when I read about it back then, so I thought I'd look up to see if anything of the story from still remained for reading.

Turns out, he apparently got the film made, after all.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0415838/
Heart of the Beholder.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

FuzzySkinner posted:

Questions and something to share for film buff goons ITT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5sOOCb1JjM

I came across a video made by an evangelical critical of the film industry. It's another one of those "oh hey, take everything at literal face value and not try to interpret things better".

He praises Ben Hurr in the first section, and just seems to be more so focused on the Crucifixition scene than anything in that entire movie.

He then moves onto bitch about "Inherit the Wind", "Elmer Gantry" and "The Last Temptation of Christ" as being movies that are overly critical of his faith. Also he deems all three "blasphemous" among other things.

Now that I've heard him bitch about these things, what would a more "normal" look at those four movies sound like?

The thing of critical importance here - and I'll comment only on the two films I've seen - is that Inherit the Wind and The Last Temptation of Christ are both deeply conservative movies. With its black-and-white photography and histrionic presentation, Inherit the Wind only appears like it blindly extols agnosticism if you ignore that the climactic 're-interpretation' of Genesis in the film - the great debate between Drummond and Brady (Brady basically coerced into telling the truth about the relativity of interpretation) - is not an abandonment of faith in Genesis, per se, but merely a reinterpretation of it. Drummond's final confrontation is, ironically, with the atheist journalist Hornbeck, who fails to understand how Drummond can still maintain compassion for the Evangelical town. The final image of Drummond 'weighing' the Bible and The Descent of Man in his hands before walking out of the room with both represents an emphatic endorsement of neither science nor mythology but both inherently compromising one another. The play at no point presents a clear or explicit case for even the possibility that there is no god, or even that there is any religious-moral perspective outside of Christianity. Rather, in the modern context, it is proper to view Inherit the Wind as an early thesis on the advancement of intelligent design, from the secular-humanist perspective that now still cluelessly supports its systematic teaching.

The critic here engages in typical, cynical scare tactics about Hollywood's 'truthiness,' but he avoids the essential point that the foundation of the criticism of Christian creationism - that its teaching is unconstitutional and racist - is also not resolved by the play/film. The problem with teaching creationism in schools is that you either need to systematically teach all religious perspectives or none of them are acceptable, but Inherit the Wind, by virtue of its period and setting, is entirely concerned with the narrow perspectives of people who, while they might be agnostics or even atheists, are, ironically, still Christian-agnostics and Christian-atheists. Now, as a clear Evangelist, this secular-humanist (dare I say, Catholic) perspective would be immaterial to him, since any deviation from strict constructionism is necessarily blasphemy. My only point is that this guy has a clear objective: to make Hollywood's 'repudiation of faith' seem way, way, way more radical than it inherently is.

The same principle operates within The Last Temptation of Christ, a film by a devout Catholic which, while superficially playing with Christ-as-Man's fallibility and the imagery of gnosticism, is actually a criticism of the secular and new age trivialization of Christian mythology. Again, the climax of the film is key - it is the moment at which Jesus is tempted into believing that as long as he engages in only a symbolic sacrifice for mankind, that this is the same thing as if he actually did die for man's sins. (In other words, the belief that it is possible to extrapolate wisdom from Christ's moral teachings without emphatically believing he was divine.) The whole point of the movie is that this interpretation is so diabolically false that Judas Iscariot himself repudiates Christ as a false prophet, and Jesus realizes that the very entity that he believed to be the hand of God was really just 'the Devil' endemic to all men, contriving convenient scenarios in which we are called upon to act as 'normal people' rather than to be 'like Christ' and do what is just. The point of the movie is that without the firm basis of irrational mythology, Christ's sacrifice contains no contemporary relevance. We learn nothing because we conform Christ to our decadent contemporary values, rather than humbling ourselves before Christ. Jesus, in the film, is in part an active and progressive historical metaphor for how Hollywood and contemporary liberalism - precisely the subject of this Evangelist's paranoid criticism - have 'bastardized' Christianity.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Alhazred posted:

I always forget that Melissa Joan Hart still exists.

She's been on an ABC Family TV show ripoff of Who's The Boss for a few years now with other noted forgotten actor Joey Lawrence

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I looked more into the meaning of "Inherit the wind".

I guess Jerome Lawrence wrote the script as a reaction to "McCarthyism", and not so much a "religion v. science" sort of debate, but rather a "right to think" sort of commentary.

It's why Darrow and Bryan are not featured in the movie. It's why the movie is mostly fictionalized because if it wasn't? The movie wouldn't fit the vision of the Lawrence had in mind.

Electric Lady
Mar 21, 2010

To be victorious
you must find glory
in the little things

The fact that it's a selfie, the douchebag smiles, the other guy holding up the spinach can of justice proudly, as if it were the stone in David's sling -- This shot perfectly encapsulates why Christians actually perform good deeds -- not to glorify God but to glorify their earthly selves and prove to the people around them how godly they are. It'd be perfect in a satire film about Christianity, but the fact that it's presented as a positive image makes my blood boil.

I'm glad I read about this film instead of watching it. Just reading about the ending scene with the lesbian sister regretting her identity, the correlation between that identity and her impending death, the manner in which her character is utterly subverted by some creepy stranger and the stranger is the hero because he's a straight white man, I don't know how I'd react if I had actually been watching it. It's partly personal - coming to terms with my sexual and gender identity is what caused me to leave the faith in the first place - and reading about that shame, the shame I felt, being presented on screen as the right thing to feel just made me upset.

Are there any films which try to reckon Christianity and LGBT concerns in a mature manner? I'm thinking like if there was the scene in Audacity where the main character is talking with the gay couple, and when he says he's Christian the couple goes "Oh, we're Christian too! Where do you go to church? :D" Is there anything that shows the potential complications in the matter and truly tries to present it in a balanced way?

Electric Lady fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Aug 20, 2015

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Ye gods, I failed this thread. So it turns out that Dark Dungeons came out last year and is available for digital download for half the price to post in SA.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's also available to watch for free on the company's official Youtube page. This is apparently a cut version but it's still like 50 minutes, and it already covers the entire tract.

Nckdictator
Sep 8, 2006
Just..someone

FuzzySkinner posted:

I looked more into the meaning of "Inherit the wind".

I guess Jerome Lawrence wrote the script as a reaction to "McCarthyism", and not so much a "religion v. science" sort of debate, but rather a "right to think" sort of commentary.

It's why Darrow and Bryan are not featured in the movie. It's why the movie is mostly fictionalized because if it wasn't? The movie wouldn't fit the vision of the Lawrence had in mind.

It's a bit sad how Bryan- the champion of liberalism in his time- is now only remembered as a anti-evolution fanatic due to that movie. (but that's more of a subject for D&D http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/05/books/review/05lingeman.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 )

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Argue posted:

It's also available to watch for free on the company's official Youtube page. This is apparently a cut version but it's still like 50 minutes, and it already covers the entire tract.

Yeah, this aligns with my experiences of University LARP clubs.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Nckdictator posted:

It's a bit sad how Bryan- the champion of liberalism in his time- is now only remembered as a anti-evolution fanatic due to that movie. (but that's more of a subject for D&D http://www.nytimes.com/2006/03/05/books/review/05lingeman.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 )

Bryan while a liberal for his day fell victim to the rise of progressive that he didnt agree with.

Plus the whole show trial killing his rep. As a great !an.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dante Logos posted:

Ye gods, I failed this thread. So it turns out that Dark Dungeons came out last year and is available for digital download for half the price to post in SA.

There's no way this can be real. 1) It's more solidly made than Courageous. 2) The acting is only mildly bad. This has to be a parody of Christian films.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
It's an official adaptation of a totally sincere Chick tract (they actually got his permission and licensed it or whatever). However, the people who adapted it are... shall we say, less than sincere.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
I stumbled across a blog where someone reads through a terrible christian sf-f novel, it's pretty entertaining.

http://www.pretty-terrible.com/2015/05/28/bad-life-decisions-make-me-read-theodore-beale/

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

coyo7e posted:

I stumbled across a blog where someone reads through a terrible christian sf-f novel, it's pretty entertaining.

http://www.pretty-terrible.com/2015/05/28/bad-life-decisions-make-me-read-theodore-beale/

So is Jesus Halo now?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Jesus is The Emperor of Mankind and Christopher thinks he's pretty cool.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

coyo7e posted:

I'm pretty sure I tired to read this book once but failed.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

PassTheRemote posted:

So is Jesus Halo now?
I'm not sure, I stepped into it at the next to last and last chapter but holy poo poo is it poorly written, by someone who clearly has no idea how to realistically portray anything that doesn't agree with his worldview. I wish the blog wasn't a succession of tweets a lot of the time however it's still cute, and reminds me of a light attempt at the Wild Cards let's play itt

edit: this "let's read" is pretty great, to be fair. Chapter 6 - "protagonist is tempted by totally-not-satan-we-gotta-reveal-this-poo poo-in-chapter-30 into breaking through the gates of heaven" (why yes, the gates are made of a pearl of great value)

followed by (in another chapter)

also spoilers: Jesus watches you masturbate - or watches your sex dreams - whatever, he'll still hold your hand a whole lot.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Aug 26, 2015

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

coyo7e posted:

This is written by Theodore Beale, aka Vox Day, the guy who was behind the recent Sad Puppies thing at the Hugo. If that doesn't mean anything to you, just know that is supports eugenics, is an explicit white supremacist, thinks that Malala Yousafzai should have been killed by the Taliban because educating women causes a decline in society, and once wrote, "If the definition of rape is stretched so far to include women who have not given consent, then I am absolutely a serial rapist."

Wapole Languray
Jul 4, 2012

Are there any blatantly christian authors other than C.S. Lewis that aren't horrible people?

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

G.K. Chesterton wasn't horrible, but his Father Brown character was even more insufferable than Sherlock Holmes and that's really saying something.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Wapole Languray posted:

Are there any blatantly christian authors other than C.S. Lewis that aren't horrible people?

Probably most Western authors before the 20th century.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

Chairman Capone posted:

This is written by Theodore Beale, aka Vox Day, the guy who was behind the recent Sad Puppies thing at the Hugo. If that doesn't mean anything to you, just know that is supports eugenics, is an explicit white supremacist, thinks that Malala Yousafzai should have been killed by the Taliban because educating women causes a decline in society, and once wrote, "If the definition of rape is stretched so far to include women who have not given consent, then I am absolutely a serial rapist."
:stare: What the gently caress. Why do so many SF & Fantasy authors have such a passion for being literal Dark Lords?

Wapole Languray posted:

Tolkien? By the standards of his time, I mean.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Luminous Obscurity posted:

Tolkien? By the standards of his time, I mean.

I don't remember Tolkien doing anything particularly dickish even by our standards. He was just an Oxford professor who wanted a quiet life after most of his friends got brutally slaughtered druing WWI.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Samovar posted:

G.K. Chesterton wasn't horrible, but his Father Brown character was even more insufferable than Sherlock Holmes and that's really saying something.

This is admittedly not the fault of G.K. Chesterton in any way, but his cousin A.K. Chesterton was a literal fascist in the 1930s and later founded the National Front. There were actually a disproportionately high number of Catholics in the British fascist movement, but that's mainly because their program attacking the establishment appealed to Catholics and Irish who were marginalized. (For the same reason there were a disproportionately large number of women active in the movement too.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Wapole Languray posted:

"Other than C.S. Lewis"? Have you read That Hideous Strength? Straw atheists, straw feminists, straw everything Lewis doesn't like. I seem to remember (cannot find cites, so it could well be folk history) that Lewis was one of the people in the Inklings who was adamant about excluding women.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Other than C.S. Lewis"? Have you read That Hideous Strength? Straw atheists, straw feminists, straw everything Lewis doesn't like. I seem to remember (cannot find cites, so it could well be folk history) that Lewis was one of the people in the Inklings who was adamant about excluding women.

He does end the Narnia series with one of the girls not getting to go to Heaven because of boys.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

C. S. Lewis said that it's morally correct to burn witches if you sincerely believe that witches exist. That's at least twice as bad as not giving health insurance benefits that cover birth control.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Other than C.S. Lewis"? Have you read That Hideous Strength? Straw atheists, straw feminists, straw everything Lewis doesn't like.

He failed badly at making Major Hardcastle unlikable, I thought she was super-cool. Cigar-smoking lesbian badass? Sign me up :swoon:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Samuel Clemens posted:

Probably most Western authors before the 20th century.
That's also mainly because nobody asked them any difficult questions which had relevance in modern times

Also CS Lewis was profoundly scarred by war times, which apparently is largely why treacle and other poo poo is fetishized - when you're living on a ration of half-ounce of meat a week and one chocolate bar a month, it becomes a big deal I guess.

Still don't like sweets and that poo poo always annoyed me as a kid.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Pretty much. Tolkien was merely a sort-of cranky old man by comparison.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

Wapole Languray posted:

Dostoevsky

• Locked thread