Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dead Snoopy
Mar 23, 2005
Props to this show's musical selection - great use of Rappin' 4 Tay's Player's Club.

Also, after that intro I spent the entire episode holding my breath, convinced someone was getting into a car accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

Dead Snoopy posted:

Also, after that intro I spent the entire episode holding my breath, convinced someone was getting into a car accident.

Haha I'm glad I'm not the only one

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The show DID start with a fatal car accident.
The Brink is excellent at getting characters into and out of poo poo, of their own and other's design.

On Ballers, nearly every problem could be solved with honesty, which makes the characters assholes. Which Cordry can pull off.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Boner guy!

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Charles is so going to get crippled or paralyzed his first game back. The level of foreshadowing is almost insulting.

Hell I thought he was going to hurt himself pushing the SUV.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Shooting Blanks posted:

One of the big criticisms of Entourage, especially the early seasons, was that Vince was the only person who had any real character development, and arguably Ari. In later seasons the other characters got fleshed out but early on it was definitely the Vince and Ari show, oh and some other guys. Personally, I think the pictures, the MRI, the golf thing, etc. are all attempts to mitigate that criticism from coming up again. HBO knows exactly what worked and what didn't in Entourage, and they're trying to improve on the formula.

Pictures: resolved by Spencer (it's all good)
MRI: resolved by Spencer (it's all good)
the golf thing: resolved? did not involve Spencer, no mention of it in this episode

Philthy posted:

I thought the preview showed something else happening. Maybe next week?

Also, the best show on TV ever has no thread. The Brink is absolutely amazing.

There's no thread because it's too hard to nitpick an all-out satire like The Brink How are we going to post, "It's so unrealistic..." when that's the whole point of the show!?

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
Does anyone else think the funniest thing on the show so far was finding out that when alone in his car, big tough ex-footballer Spencer likes to sing along with - not Lil Wayne or some other hardcore rapper, but Taylor Swift.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009

Binary Logic posted:

Does anyone else think the funniest thing on the show so far was finding out that when alone in his car, big tough ex-footballer Spencer likes to sing along with - not Lil Wayne or some other hardcore rapper, but Taylor Swift.

There are the people who sing Taylor Swift in the car and then there people who are filthy liars.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

lostleaf posted:

There are the people who sing Taylor Swift in the car and then there people who are filthy liars.

There exists a video of me shouting along to Iggy and waving my hands everywhere on one of my friends phones.

People do crazy stuff in cars.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Binary Logic posted:

I was always meh on Tay-Tay but 1989 is a good album and there's no shame in singing along to it. :colbert:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

People sing funny poo poo when they're happy. Also, jokes.

Doobie Keebler
May 9, 2005

Someone mentioned it on the last page but he seems to like that song. The fun lip syncing starts around 0:50.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

M_Gargantua posted:

There exists a video of me shouting along to Iggy and waving my hands everywhere on one of my friends phones.

People do crazy stuff in cars.

Yeah Iggy's fun to sing along while driving!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opBcpTyG0s4

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I make the beep beep beep noises when ever I am forced to back into a parking spot.

IM CRAZY

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
lol nice move with the range rover

e: this is so awkward

Waroduce fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Aug 17, 2015

GLOSS
Apr 10, 2005

PEARL GROWLS "TAKE OFF THAT SHIRT, STEVEN." I COMPLY, REVEALING THE FULL LENGTH SHIRT TATTOO. PEARL RETREATS INTO HER GEM, DEFEATED.
This is a terrible representation, the Marlins never have this many people in attendance!

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I loving laughed my rear end off at the ending. That was hilarious.

Jaysus
Sep 17, 2004

"Hey, did you see my game against the Detroit Lions?"
Holy gently caress that ending was amazing.

lostleaf
Jul 12, 2009
Loved this episode. Lots of feel good moments. Reggie getting a little comeuppance. That hilarious ending. It can only mean that something is going to go wrong for Strasmore on the next episode.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I really thought Dan was going to turn around and drill Spencer with the ball, but what happened was a million times funnier.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
That was a very weird kind of feel-good ending but I liked it.

Good to see this show's quirky side.

Azmodaii
Aug 16, 2008
ballers is doing great and I enjoyed that ending...

but the brink is hilarious, easily my favorite tv show right now... they even got me to like jack black... that hasn't happened ever. And the Navy guys started off lame but I like where their story is at right now. I wish we had a brink thread :/

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I really though that Bill was going to stroke out or something just after he threw the pitch, making the rock feel even more guilty.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Azmodaii posted:

ballers is doing great and I enjoyed that ending...

but the brink is hilarious, easily my favorite tv show right now... they even got me to like jack black... that hasn't happened ever. And the Navy guys started off lame but I like where their story is at right now. I wish we had a brink thread :/

I have no idea how no one ever made a Brink thread. I hadn't even heard of it besides small mentions in this thread, and I still had no idea what the show was about. I smashed all 8 episodes in a row the other day -- it is extremely my poo poo, and I would have jumped on it had I known about it. Jack Black and a hilarious Tim Robbins as government officials during a nuclear standoff in the middle east? I don't know why it hasn't had more press, either.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.
At the very least change the title to include both shows. Its not like this is an incredibly active thread.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

lostleaf posted:

It can only mean that something is going to go wrong for Strasmore on the next episode.

It's already going wrong. They don't offer a giant contract like that and not have something go wrong. They can't even find what's his face. Can't the agent guy just say "yes" on his behalf?

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

PaganGoatPants posted:

It's already going wrong. They don't offer a giant contract like that and not have something go wrong. They can't even find what's his face. Can't the agent guy just say "yes" on his behalf?

No because than you end up drafting or signing people who are dead or in jail

BlindSite
Feb 8, 2009

PaganGoatPants posted:

It's like a contract when buying a house or whatever, the agent negotiates it, presents it to his client then they go in and sign in the GM's office or whatever. Even if he said yes, he'd still need to locate his client and hope to hell he agreed. If he says yes and then his client says "gently caress that" he's screwed, teams won't trust him which hurts his viability as an agent etc.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
TTD is the best character on this show.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The way this show is working right now, the Cowboys will think Vernon's playing head games with them and, against all logic, end up offering him more than his and Reggie's 'insane' ask, which will make Vernon love Reggie again because 'he knew how much I was worth all along, and you guys didn't.'

I do wish they hadn't waited until the next to last episode of the season to finally confirm Dule Hill was the Dolphin's GM, though.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The way this show is working right now, the Cowboys will think Vernon's playing head games with them and, against all logic, end up offering him more than his and Reggie's 'insane' ask, which will make Vernon love Reggie again because 'he knew how much I was worth all along, and you guys didn't.'

I do wish they hadn't waited until the next to last episode of the season to finally confirm Dule Hill was the Dolphin's GM, though.

This is a feel good show, everything turns out OK in the end, look at what happened to Spencer - no head trauma, the guy forgives him and he works out Vern's situation perfectly. They'll find Vernon and sign the contract. Rock, bald guy and agent dude will go off and setup a new company. Charles will get back into the game and cocky bloke will makeup with his lady (or find a new one)

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

notaspy posted:

This is a feel good show, everything turns out OK in the end, look at what happened to Spencer - no head trauma, the guy forgives him and he works out Vern's situation perfectly. They'll find Vernon and sign the contract. Rock, bald guy and agent dude will go off and setup a new company. Charles will get back into the game and cocky bloke will makeup with his lady (or find a new one)

Yeah, its been said before that Ballers is just Entourage with football players and they never had bad ending in Entourage (at least not the first 3 seasons which is where I stopped watching).

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

Yeah, its been said before that Ballers is just Entourage with football players and they never had bad ending in Entourage (at least not the first 3 seasons which is where I stopped watching).

They tried doing a serious storyline on Entourage with Vince getting hooked on drugs and it was insufferable.

Kevyn
Mar 5, 2003

I just want to smile. Just once. I'd like to just, one time, go to Disney World and smile like the other boys and girls.
Yeah Entourage got pretty dark in the last season or two. I recall an episode where Vince pretty much gets held hostage by a suicidal guy who ends up shooting himself.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Kevyn posted:

Yeah Entourage got pretty dark in the last season or two. I recall an episode where Vince pretty much gets held hostage by a suicidal guy who ends up shooting himself.

Uh, no, the guy was just being a prick about a movie script, had a breakdown and locked himself in the bathroom while Vince tried to talk him down. The crazy guy pulls a gun from under his sink and shoots himself in the head.

The next episode has Vince trying to pass a drug take using a fake dick and its played up for comedy. It's like it took the writers 8 seasons to finally admit no, Adrian Grenier literally can't act anything other then "I'm a famous chill douce movie star"

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Entourage also did that thing, which Ballers also does, where it is so lazily written that they half-forget the storyline they're developing and write it off via some awkward dialog when they need to jumpstart a story.

On the boat party, wasn't Vernon doing cocaine? Why, then, did they have like six scenes where the photos are showing him drinking and smoking weed and that's the scandal? Also, why was the whole "Reggie secretly caused the problem by trying to gently caress photo-girl" something that happened entirely off screen and only came up in the episode after the character appeared? There's half a dozen better ways to do the same lovely story.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Last Buffalo posted:

Entourage also did that thing, which Ballers also does, where it is so lazily written that they half-forget the storyline they're developing and write it off via some awkward dialog when they need to jumpstart a story.

On the boat party, wasn't Vernon doing cocaine? Why, then, did they have like six scenes where the photos are showing him drinking and smoking weed and that's the scandal? Also, why was the whole "Reggie secretly caused the problem by trying to gently caress photo-girl" something that happened entirely off screen and only came up in the episode after the character appeared? There's half a dozen better ways to do the same lovely story.

The answer to this question is because its written to be a show that you can veg out and watch without thinking about. Add a laugh track and its basically a Chuck Lorre show.

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Yeah, but why not write it in a way that's also funny. Like did you laugh at the scene where they reveal reggie took his dick out? There wasn't a joke, just a hamfisted plot point and some weird out of character bullshit about "not disrespecting women."

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

They don't like disrespecting women man! Right after they talked about the difference between a hood rat and an upright girl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Buffalo
Nov 7, 2011
Yeah, they never really commit to the bit and make these guys actually trashy or petty or even human.

Things always have to work out, and the dudes all need to be stand-up, old school bros that everyone loves.

• Locked thread