Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Lord Frisk posted:

Amish? In Michigan? Or were you in Pennsylvania? I know there's a thriving Mennonite community in the UP

There's a notable amish population in central michigan, around Clare.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I just never see them on the freeway

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

While on topic, anyone in SE Michigan near Novi? We should meet up and talk about this thread.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Foehammer posted:

While on topic, anyone in SE Michigan near Novi? We should meet up and talk about this thread.

I live in Troy

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

If you guys end up in GR or on the west side of the mitten, clog up the thread so we can game.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Chomp8645 posted:

That's not what he meant, he's bigger eurogay than anyone else in our gaming circle. He meant that as in "it's not very euro, so the group should be accepting of it". He's been worn down by years of the rest of us preferring Ameritrash games.

so in the end, you brought this upon yourself

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Chomp8645 posted:

That's not what he meant, he's bigger eurogay than anyone else in our gaming circle. He meant that as in "it's not very euro, so the group should be accepting of it". He's been worn down by years of the rest of us preferring Ameritrash games.

Ahhhh. That's a lot better then. Carry on and enjoy your five player Betrayal! Perhaps we should also tell your friend about Arkham Horror. It plays five and isn't euro-y....

Three Pixel
Jun 13, 2003

In space no one can hear your anime stare downs.
Hey Michigan. I'm in Sterling Heights. Meeting my monthly group tomorrow to play Twilight Imperium. It's our second time so that should only take all day.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

PlaneGuy posted:

so in the end, you brought this upon yourself

Honestly sometimes I don't get his choices. On the one hand he LOOOOVES euro games. Dominant Species, Suburbia, that game with peppers. But then every once in a while he tables some off-the-charts-Ameritrash theme game like A Study in Emerald or Robinson Crusoe.

I don't get it. It's not just loving all games because he often complains about the rest of us liking "war games" (anything where the players fight directly instead of solely competing for resources) and Ameritrash too much. Maybe he's just the tabletop equivalent of an extreme personality.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

We all have those media that are guilty pleasures. I love the hell out of Smallworld despite its heavy Ameritrash. When we get it on the table I try to get 3-4 quick games of it before we move onto something else. I can't stop myself.

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

Countblanc posted:

There's a notable amish population in central michigan, around Clare.

I'm about 30 minutes south of there and they make amazing baked goods. Michigan goons represent.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Michigoons?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Andarel posted:

Traders of Osaka is also really brutal at 2p because points are so tight. Got a game in at GenCon and thought it was really good, might pick it up once it comes out.

Traders of Osaka totally froze up on me twice and it wasn't pretty. Basically the game can get stuck where it'll take forever for the game to end. That was my experience from the first edition at least.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Huxley posted:

If my wife and I love Agricola: All Creatures Great and Small but hate Agricola, we're probably going to love Caverna, aren't we?

We played two games of Agricola Family style and found it boring. We played one game with cards where we made plans and played our upgrades then starved to death. Then we played a couple of games correctly and found it boring since the most interesting aspect of the game (card strategy) is still a lot smaller than just taking either 3 wood or starting player every round until the midgame.

I would highly recommend Fields of Arle instead of 2 player Caverna, it's just better all around.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Lorini posted:

Traders of Osaka totally froze up on me twice and it wasn't pretty. Basically the game can get stuck where it'll take forever for the game to end. That was my experience from the first edition at least.

Do you remember what caused it? We got stuck briefly while squabbling over some colors but it didn't last long. I know there were some rules changes, that may have been touched?

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

Ora et Labora is back in stock at BoardGameBliss :toot:

Texibus
May 18, 2008

Foehammer posted:

I work in Farmington Hills so I'd be down some time, PM me maybe we can game day going.

Andarel posted:

Michigoons?

Holla, Detroit represent. (I'm a mile away from Detroit in Warren.)

Three Pixel posted:

Hey Michigan. I'm in Sterling Heights. Meeting my monthly group tomorrow to play Twilight Imperium. It's our second time so that should only take all day.

If y'all get a spot for that game over a weekend again I'd like to sit in.

Texibus fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 21, 2015

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

Texibus posted:

Holla, Detroit represent. (I'm a mile away from Detroit.)

False alarm, I'm NYC.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Andarel posted:

Do you remember what caused it? We got stuck briefly while squabbling over some colors but it didn't last long. I know there were some rules changes, that may have been touched?

It's been like five/six years ago? So I don't remember it. I just remember that it happened twice, and after that, I was done. I would be happy to know if there were rules changes that addressed this.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.
I'm in Michigan and my friends host weekly game nights at their place in Livonia. It's a pretty open group and we usually have 3 or 4 games running. I sometimes bake cakes and often times criticize the bad games that people continually play because they are "fun". Fuckin heathens.

They also host a "boardgame con" twice a year with raffle prizes and stuff like that. Except no one teaches anything new or different.

This fall I'm teaching:
Cutthroat Caverns, Scoville, Travel Blog, Game of Thrones, Bunny Bunny Moose Moose (Regional Qualifiers), Pictomania, Ugg Tect, Codenames, Caylus

It'll be a good weekend of gaming.

Also for those of you in SE Michigan, if you haven't checked out RIW Hobbies in Livonia you're missing out. Pretty good selection of games, paints, etc.

Texibus
May 18, 2008
You talking about Michi-con?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Texibus posted:

You talking about Michi-con?

No this is just a small-ish event, maybe 30-40 people. Hosted at their house over a weekend.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Chomp8645 posted:

[...]Ameritrash theme game like [...] Robinson Crusoe.
:raise:

Big McHuge posted:

Bunny Bunny Moose Moose (Regional Qualifiers)

There's a Bunny Bunny Moose Moose tournament scene?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Ah, good, finally a place where BBMM players gather together.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
Do people really even argue over/make a distinction between "Eurogames vs Ameritrash" anymore? I thought that had petered out after people figured out that you could have games with both good components AND good rules.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Kai Tave posted:

Do people really even argue over/make a distinction between "Eurogames vs Ameritrash" anymore? I thought that had petered out after people figured out that you could have games with both good components AND good rules.

Tongue in cheek for my friends and I, usually things are just 'board games' without a descriptor. As time goes on it seems like they're moving to a nice balance where both theme and mechanics are important.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I think the two terms are pretty useful but more to describe specific game elements than "this game is a euro" (unless we're talking about older games where the distinction is quite clear). Though every now and then I still meet people who haven't heard that Ameritrash is more a term of endearment than anything and get sorta pissy about it.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Last week I had to explain to my friend, who's probably been playing board games longer than I have, that only people who like Ameritrash actually call it Ameritrash. It's true that the distinction is much less useful nowadays. These days new true Ameritrash games are more likely just called blatant Kickstarter cash grabs.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Kai Tave posted:

I prefer the term Ameri-thrash thank you :smug:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

The idea that in 2015 (with the level of quality that we get nowadays), you would need to make a distinct choice between either theme or rules does not make sense to me in the slightest. Go for both, never compromise, play wargames, hail satan.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Has anyone heard anything substantive about the M.U.L.E. boardgame that got shown off at Spiel?

I tried looking on boardgamegeek for any useful info, but there's just a few posts reminiscing about the 'original' NES version, or about the REAL original on the C64 or even the one guy that clearly remembers playing it on the 2600, and now I have to go lie down for a while.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Archenteron posted:

:raise:

There's a Bunny Bunny Moose Moose tournament scene?

The B^2M^2 pro circuit is both exciting and cutthroat. At Worlds last year there was almost an upset when Frenchman Marcus "Chos3n On3" Lefambre came as close as anyone ever has to beating American Champion Doug "Four Hands" Johnson.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Countblanc posted:

I think the two terms are pretty useful but more to describe specific game elements than "this game is a euro" (unless we're talking about older games where the distinction is quite clear). Though every now and then I still meet people who haven't heard that Ameritrash is more a term of endearment than anything and get sorta pissy about it.

I was playing Taj Mahal at the local pickup group and one of the guys wasn't liking it so he said "thank goodness they invented eruogames after this"

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Yeah I remember back when Ameritrash and Euro were seemingly an important decision to make, but now "is it going to be worth my time" is much more important

Note I didn't say "will I have time to play it"

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Zombie #246 posted:

Yeah I remember back when Ameritrash and Euro were seemingly an important decision to make, but now "is it going to be worth my time" is much more important

Note I didn't say "will I have time to play it"

I remember when Ameritrash vs. Euro was the equivalent of a lovely console war or RPG edition war no matter how "ironic" the Ameritrash label was. Frankly I'm glad it seems to have died out because I always thought it was dumb as hell, and I agree with Tekopo that in 2015 you shouldn't have to (and thankfully don't have to) choose between good theme or good mechanics but not both. It's heartening that designers seem to have picked up on this too.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

That's a bit generous, you've still got companies like Flying Frog peddling absolute unapologetic Ameritrash with a capital "trash".

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Rutibex posted:

I prefer the term Ameri-thrash thank you :smug:

Rutibex is Tom Vasel, confirmed.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I don't really get why nerds think that cthulu or zombies or space marines whatever is better theme. They are simply specific groups of made up names applied to games they live in. House on haunted Hill or whatever could be reskinned as a slasher film or about a mafia group splintering.

There hasn't been a real cthulu game actually dealing with the themes of understanding your personal insignificance against an uncaring universe. (Or terror that a distant relative may not be white.) Just area control games and slow burning yahtzee clones.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker

Impermanent posted:

There hasn't been a real cthulu game actually dealing with the themes of understanding your personal insignificance against an uncaring universe. (Or terror that a distant relative may not be white.) Just area control games and slow burning yahtzee clones.

A game like Republic of Rome where you try and gain favour on earth and maybe a bit of the beyond while keeping the horrors of the universe at bay. The winner is the one with most VP when the event deck empties, unless the world has ended then they all lose. A keen mathematician would find, however, that it is impossible to actually beat the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

I think tying in themes of disempowerment and irrelevant wouldn't make for a fun board game.

Alternatively: The ultimate Cthulu board game is Snakes And Ladders.