Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

there's supposedly more of these.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
If you buttholes don't stop talking trash about dragon ball z im sending you to the next dimension.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I don't know why the translators don't just do what kai dub did and go "drat you" or "you bastard." It's a lot less jarring that vegeta calling beerus a cocksucker.

Monaghan fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Aug 21, 2015

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Kisamaaaaaaaaa

TL: Kisama means bastard.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Monaghan posted:

I don't know why the translators don't just do what kai dub did and go "drat you" or "you bastard." It's a lot less jarring that vegeta calling beerus a cocksucker.

It's funnier the second way

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!
So...

Champa is after the dragonballs, of course, but I'm almost certain he's gotta be from another universe (6, probably), based on how he addresses the Kais. Kinda curious what a god of destruction might want though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Knowing Dragonball?

To lose weight.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

That crow call "A-ho". Which I thought meant dumbass/dummy.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rudoku posted:

It does, but it's not, like, the explicit version of the word. It's more like "idiot" than it is "dumbass."

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

It can be translated as either depending on the context!

Because Japanese doesn't really have cursing in the same way English does.

dogs named Charlie
Apr 5, 2009

by exmarx
The TFS breakdown's tongue in cheek jokes at the squealing newborn infants who didn't know Tom from Myspace were great. Was that a topic of discussion on other DBZ discussion forums or is Kaiserneko reading this thread?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rudoku posted:

I know what the crow call is which is why I was confused that someone said it was "rear end in a top hat" when it's a general word for someone stupid.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
gently caress Hank

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Hank confirmed for the worst DBZ character.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Aurain posted:

there's supposedly more of these.

I'm 100% positive I have a couple tapes of this stuff in my dad's basement. Memories :allears:

I specifically remember Vegeta flipping out and cussing the hell out of the baddie for messing up his house or something.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Dude's entire planet was blown up and he was forced into working with Frieza.

That's not Vegeta, that is clearly his OTHER brother named "Jetabu".

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

ThNextGreenLantern posted:

That's not Vegeta, that is clearly his OTHER brother named "Jetabu".

Don't you mean Tarble, the legendary shorter sayian?

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

I hope one of them Arlian bug men shows up in Super having tapped into Bug God Ki and just wrecks Vegeta entirely.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Mogomra posted:

I'm 100% positive I have a couple tapes of this stuff in my dad's basement. Memories :allears:

I specifically remember Vegeta flipping out and cussing the hell out of the baddie for messing up his house or something.

Kanzenshuu has that one on their fansub dialogue guide. It comes from the Anime Labs' subs of the Hirudegarn movie.

There's something to be said about that line when I immediatly remembered having read it before. Then again, nothing quite compares to "come out, you candy-rear end human being!" in terrible fan translations, in my opinion at least.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

For as much as Taka talked it up, that trailer for TFS's FF7 thing looks loving dire.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Rodyle posted:

For as much as Taka talked it up, that trailer for TFS's FF7 thing looks loving dire.

I'm still sad their Attack on Titan Abridged got canned, I felt like it hit the same sort of perfect balance DBZA has. FF7A looks somehow like both an elaborate and low effort LP at the same time.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

I thought AoT Abridged was really terrible too :shrug:

Basically everything that isn't either Dragonball related or Hellsing really.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mogomra posted:

I used to really enjoy the Mexican/LatAm dub of Z because the characters were a little different.

US Android Saga Dub
Krillin: wow Piccolo, we sure are lucky you're on our side!
Piccolo: DON'T YOU GET IT WE NEED TO TRAIN HARDER BLARRGGHHG :flies off:

LatAm dub:
K:《Wow Piccolo, it's a good thing you're our friend or--》
P: 《I'M NOT YOUR FRIEND YOU IDIOT. I'M EVIL. THE ONLY REASON YOU'RE AROUND IS TO GET RID OF THEM SO THAT I CAN TAKE OVER THE WORLD :flies off:》

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Aug 22, 2015

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Rodyle posted:

I thought AoT Abridged was really terrible too :shrug:

A couple of jokes fell flat for me (mostly anything Connie said) but overall I thought it was pretty good. Jean and the Patrick Warburton instructor were both great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Connie was amazing, gently caress all of you. That was the only part of the episode that made me loving die laughing because I love stupid poo poo like that.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

TriffTshngo posted:

Jean and the Patrick Warburton instructor were both great.

They were okay yeah.

sharktamer
Oct 30, 2011

Shark tamer ridiculous
Yeah that FF7A video is the worst thing I've seen in ages. Do people still think bleeping swears is the height of comedy?

e X
Feb 23, 2013

cool but crude
I never played a single FF game, but I didn't think that terrible. Yeah, it was rough, and not really a good trailer, but it honestly reminded me a lot of the first DBZA episode, and we all know how that went. Regardless how it turns out in the end, I will give it a couple of episodes to come in its own in any case.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012

Covok posted:

Don't you mean Tarble, the legendary shorter sayian?

Tarble didn't have green armor, don't be ridiculous.

SirDrone
Jul 23, 2013

I am so sick of these star wars
What about the legendary warrior of space?

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I used to really enjoy the Mexican/LatAm dub of Z because the characters were a little different.

US Android Saga Dub
Krillin: wow Piccolo, we sure are lucky you're on our side!
Piccolo: DON'T YOU GET IT WE NEED TO TRAIN HARDER BLARRGGHHG :flies off:

LatAm dub:
K:《Wow Piccolo, it's a good thing you're our friend or--》
P: 《I'M NOT YOUR FRIEND YOU IDIOT. I'M EVIL. THE ONLY REASON YOU'RE AROUND IS TO GET RID OF THEM SO THAT I CAN TAKE OVER THE WORLD :flies off:》

In this case "different" = true to the source. The US dialog is made up because nobody watched Dragon Ball and that line would feel out of place.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

In Kai's English dub, Piccolo actually does mention world domination and all that, fwiw.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
It's cute that Piccolo thought anyone would buy that poo poo by that point.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Rodyle posted:

Yeah, I couldn't watch past the first ten seconds. I'm kinda surprised they put out something that bad.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Just did a watch of World's Strongest with my kids and my girlfriend and... man the disparity in quality between the first 3 movies and everything after it is huge. World's Strongest is by far the best, but there's just so much honest to god EFFORT involved in Dead Zone, World's Strongest, and Tree of Might and so much not in almost everything after. World's Strongest had incredible animation, and the tone of the movie is so different from anything else that came out with DBZ that it hugely stands out.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

It's cute that Piccolo thought anyone would buy that poo poo by that point.

Yamcha and Tenshinhan did. Krillin was the only one to point out how it was blatantly bullshit, and how Piccolo flew to Kami's Tower, therefore he was going to fuse with Kami to combat the Androids but couldn't bring himself to actually say it.

Krillin is the best, is what I'm trying to say.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Krillin's a bad person who stands by and watches his wife get beaten up by an anorexic cat

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well if his wife is getting smacked around, then he's not going to really help much.

But he could tap into further power by having a "NOT MY 18!" moment in... RESURRECTION P (Sr.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Stairmaster posted:

Krillin's a bad person who stands by and watches his wife get beaten up by an anorexic cat

lol dude if you wanna assign traditional gender roles to that relationship Krillin's the wife

• Locked thread