Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
News:

chris Peterson posted:

After Sam Ukwauchu was dismissed from the Boise State football program and expressed an interest in transfering to Baylor, I initiated a call with coach Art Briles. In that conversation, I thouroughly appraised Coach Briles of the circumstances surrounding Sam's disciplinary record and dismissal.

Views: Briles is a liar, liar. Pants on fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
Yeah, strange hill to choose to die on.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neil Armbong posted:

Yeah, strange hill to choose to die on.

I think Briles kind of forced Peterson to say something when he claimed that Peterson didn't tell him why the guy was kicked off the team.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Thoguh posted:

I think Briles kind of forced Peterson to say something when he claimed that Peterson didn't tell him why the guy was kicked off the team.

Oh, I was talking about Briles. Why come out and state something that appears to be refuted by previous reporting.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Jesus, Art:

Chieves fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 21, 2015

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Art Briles lied about being unaware of rape

He's a wannabe joe paterno and should be forced to resign

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Neil Armbong posted:

Oh, I was talking about Briles. Why come out and state something that appears to be refuted by previous reporting.

Yeah, so was I. I think what Briles said this morning made it seem like Peterson was partially at fault. So he put Peterson in a spot where he either had to clear the air about what he did or have it be assumed that he just let a player go be a menace on another campus without telling Briles what he was getting.

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 21, 2015

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.
Keep digging that hole deeper Art. Pleading ignorance is only going to make it worse.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

Pakled posted:

What the gently caress is Ivy Tech Community College

Jesus.

It is the state wide community college system for Indiana.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
What a stupid loving thing to do, good lord.

"Yeah it was that other guy's fault."

Like, what did you loving thing would happen if you tried to pin it on someone else you idiot?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
lol this might actually cause Baylor to lose its head coach and topple back to mediocrity.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD
Why didn't he try to pin it on Boise's coach instead of Peterson? :confused:

Not that it would have worked either but still

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Maybe this is just Briles trying to create that brand he cried about them needing.

Zifnab
Aug 21, 2005

Hope Springs Eternal

Spintzel posted:

Why didn't he try to pin it on Boise's coach instead of Peterson? :confused:

Not that it would have worked either but still

Petersen was still the coach at Boise when the transfer happened

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

computer parts posted:

lol this might actually cause Baylor to lose its head coach and topple back to mediocrity.

Lol no, while unsavory, none of this is actionable

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Frackie Robinson posted:

Lol no, while unsavory, none of this is actionable

It absolutely is if their AD wants to fight the PR backlash.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
A Des Moines sports station posted the audio from Briles interview this morning, if anyone wants to listen.

http://www.kxno.com/onair/the-sports-fanatics-55984/art-briles-responds-13878194

Let's talk about football, guys. Let's talk about football.

Also, lol, he did straight up call Peterson a liar.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

vyst posted:

Yeah, Title IX is much more of an issue here for Baylor than the NCAA, I'd think.

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide

vyst posted:

Plus if they knowingly accepted a violent rapist and then didn't investigate things seriously the whole loving school's liable

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

vyst posted:

Unless someone with the program actively hampered the investigation, Briles' biggest sin is a) taking on the guy to begin with and b) allowing him to stick around with the team when the allegations surfaced. Both show some pretty poor judgement, but if that's the extent of it then I think he comes away relatively unscathed. It's not enough to bring down someone that's flying so high.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Chieves posted:

Jesus, Art:

Martha Stewart is Briles' speech writer?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Raku posted:

Art Briles lied about being unaware of rape

He's a wannabe joe paterno and should be forced to resign

The rape happened at Baylor. The stuff Peterson says he told Briles about was unspecified violence that got the guy dismissed from Boise State.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PostNouveau posted:

The rape happened at Baylor. The stuff Peterson says he told Briles about was unspecified violence that got the guy dismissed from Boise State.

Their DC said they expected him to keep playing so at the very least someone in the coaching staff is unaware/covering up stuff.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

computer parts posted:

Their DC said they expected him to keep playing so at the very least someone in the coaching staff is unaware/covering up stuff.

The fact that Bennet said that really lends more credence to the ignorance angle.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Yikes, Baylor.

Spintzel
Dec 31, 2007

Distractions makes it better when ya take up the ENTIRE ROAD

Zifnab posted:

Petersen was still the coach at Boise when the transfer happened

Well that makes a lot more sense

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

computer parts posted:

Oh, I mean they suspended him for all of the 2014 season and didn't say why, and it turned out to be this rape charge. I'm sure everyone on the coaching staff knew about it unless they kept it from Briles. But even if they tried to wouldn't he go "No really, why are you suspending this guy?"

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Ehud posted:

@BruceFeldmanCFB: ex #USC QB Ricky Town to transfer to #Arkansas, according to espn.

Next year is going to be a really interesting QB competition at Arkansas with a lot of great high school QBs competing for the job. Hopefully this year we will open it up a little more and attract some good receivers to go along with it. I'm still hoping for two really good running backs out of this class but it's nice to know that we should be set at QB if we can develop the talent.

This is the second year that we've had a scholarship left over at the end of the traditional signing period and the second time it has paid off. I think it's a pretty good idea to keep an extra scholarship in your back pocket for gems like this.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

@Anthony_Chiang: Latroy Pittman, Marcus Maye and Alex McCalister will miss the season opener due to Athletic Department policy, per UF.

go gators

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

Ehud posted:

@Anthony_Chiang: Latroy Pittman, Marcus Maye and Alex McCalister will miss the season opener due to Athletic Department policy, per UF.

go gators

No worries, you have a ton of other 2 and 3* players to fill the gaps. Reload.

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?

quote:

Prosecutors will not be able to present new evidence against Florida State running back Dalvin Cook at his Monday trial on a misdemeanor battery charge, a Leon County judge decided Friday.

Cook’s lawyers were granted a motion for sanctions against the State Attorney’s Office in Tallahassee after it tried to introduce screenshots of posts from a fake Twitter account, Cook’s juvenile records and business records as evidence. Those items will not be included in testimony.

Also on Friday, four men and two women were sele

lol

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So it looks like we've gotten all the Baylor news we're going to get today, so I'm just going to say A.) gently caress Sam Ukwuachu and anyone who covered/covers for him, B.)Most of this looks really bad for Baylor - though it may get less bad or peak bad depending on what was in the disciplinary report Boise gave Baylor before Ukwuachu transferred, so hopefully that is made clear sooner than later, and lastly C.) Frankly I was already feeling kind of low before Baylor suddenly possibly ruined my enjoyment of CFB for the year, so if it's all the same to you lot I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from TFF for a bit because this story is depressing me further and I want to keep some distance for a while while I focus on personal poo poo.

Have fun, folks.

Spiritus Nox fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Aug 21, 2015

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Spiritus Nox posted:

So it looks like we've gotten all the Baylor news we're going to get today, so I'm just going to say A.) gently caress Sam Ukwuachu and anyone who covered/covers for him, B.)Most of this looks really bad for Baylor - though it may get less bad or peak bad depending on what was in the disciplinary report Boise gave Baylor before Ukwuachu transferred, so hopefully that is made clear sooner than later, and lastly C.) Frankly I was feeling kind of low before Baylor suddenly possibly ruined my enjoyment of CFB for the year, so if it's all the same to you lot I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from TFF for a bit because this story is depressing me further and I want to keep some distance for a while while I focus on personal poo poo.

Have fun, folks.

nah stick around

having your school go through a horrible scandal is just part of the sport

we had a guy who literally murdered people

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Spiritus Nox posted:

So it looks like we've gotten all the Baylor news we're going to get today, so I'm just going to say A.) gently caress Sam Ukwuachu and anyone who covered/covers for him, B.)Most of this looks really bad for Baylor - though it may get less bad or peak bad depending on what was in the disciplinary report Boise gave Baylor before Ukwuachu transferred, so hopefully that is made clear sooner than later, and lastly C.) Frankly I was feeling kind of low before Baylor suddenly possibly ruined my enjoyment of CFB for the year, so if it's all the same to you lot I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from TFF for a bit because this story is depressing me further and I want to keep some distance for a while while I focus on personal poo poo.

Have fun, folks.

Baylor has arrived as a major program, congratulations. Now spend your sabbatical working on your spin game.

"It will shock you how much it never happened." -Don Draper

General Dog fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Aug 21, 2015

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Spiritus Nox posted:

So it looks like we've gotten all the Baylor news we're going to get today, so I'm just going to say A.) gently caress Sam Ukwuachu and anyone who covered/covers for him, B.)Most of this looks really bad for Baylor - though it may get less bad or peak bad depending on what was in the disciplinary report Boise gave Baylor before Ukwuachu transferred, so hopefully that is made clear sooner than later, and lastly C.) Frankly I was already feeling kind of low before Baylor suddenly possibly ruined my enjoyment of CFB for the year, so if it's all the same to you lot I think I'm going to take a bit of a break from TFF for a bit because this story is depressing me further and I want to keep some distance for a while while I focus on personal poo poo.

Have fun, folks.

Can't jump ship when poo poo gets real.

edit: if you got real poo poo to deal with in your life, then by all means gtfo the internet and deal with it. but don't walk away from watching football when it isn't all sunshine for baylor.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Aug 21, 2015

Anals of History
Jul 29, 2003

N: Reading the @TSpoonFeed: A lawyer representing Baylor objected from the audience to a cross-examination question posed to Baylor's athletics chaplain because of clergy-parishioner privilege. The judge overruled the objection after a conference in chambers.

V: How is someone yelling form outside even allowed, much less considered? Why didn't the Baylor guy get thrown out of the court on his ear?

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ehud posted:

nah stick around

having your school go through a horrible scandal is just part of the sport

we had a guy who literally murdered people

So did Baylor.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

Pillbug

Anals of History posted:

N: Reading the @TSpoonFeed: A lawyer representing Baylor objected from the audience to a cross-examination question posed to Baylor's athletics chaplain because of clergy-parishioner privilege. The judge overruled the objection after a conference in chambers.

V: How is someone yelling form outside even allowed, much less considered? Why didn't the Baylor guy get thrown out of the court on his ear?

sounds like he's part of legal team but can't fit at table? is that a thing?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Anals of History posted:

This will make a great SVU story in like 3 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Anals of History posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjXmZ8FkOI8

• Locked thread