Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Typical
Mar 19, 2007

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Do you have a favorite from among the episode's parasites?

MY favorite is the big bad wolf.

Applewhite posted:

The blast shields were some very slick tech and I loved the designs.
So I was noting earlier that the blast shields seem a lot more polished than Rick's usual style. In your mind do you think Rick built them himself or pay some alien to have them installed?

I think they are part of his secret underground lair tech, which was supposed to be invader zim inspired. I think its ultimately something he paid aliens to do. His personal projects are more amalgamation of junk hes acquired. he doesn't really care for design for personal use. its purely functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Typical posted:

MY favorite is the big bad wolf.

I think they are part of his secret underground lair tech, which was supposed to be invader zim inspired. I think its ultimately something he paid aliens to do. His personal projects are more amalgamation of junk hes acquired. he doesn't really care for design for personal use. its purely functional.

Finally. I am vindicated.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

CelticPredator posted:

Finally. I am vindicated.

Congratulations for obsessing over a show most people stopped caring about ten years ago.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hey, someone's gotta do it.

r0ck0
Sep 12, 2004
r0ck0s p0zt m0d3rn lyf
Anyone read the comics? Are they as good as the show? Issues 1-5 are out.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yes. I like them. They vary, but they keep in tone with the show and are a pretty fun thing to read between episodes.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Saw this comment on reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/rickandmorty/comments/3h9xcl/so_uhhh_mr_poopy_butt_hole/cu6asnh

tl;dr: the ending of the episode is a fake memory, Mr. Poopybutthole is a parasite. the 'rule' is that the parasite has to be remembered fondly, not that the fake memory has to be a positive one.
That says "Vietnam isn't a positive memory" but people absolutely fondly remember bonding with their fellow soldiers in the poo poo.

The semantic logic of the episode consistently functions with the fake memory flashbacks always being prompted by a parasite. Following this, Mr. Poopybutthole being shot wouldn't ever be shown unless he brought it up to them later ("Hey, do you remember how Beth shot me after everything calmed down?"), but he asks to not see them again, so when would he prompt that flashback?

Furthermore, why would he even fabricate this memory? It's assumed that the blast shields are lowered and the house is repaired before the fateful dinner shooting, why wouldn't he just leave? If they weren't lowered yet, and he wanted them to rush him out of the house and to the hospital, Rick would surely notice that the house was suddenly once again full of laser blasts and dead parasites. Also, he can only inject false memories, not alter current perception, so once the shooting memory ends, he wouldn't have a horrible gunshot wound. If the hospital part is also a fake memory, then what? They're still in the living room, he's not in a wheelchair, they remember him wanting them to go, but then he's back in the house? It doesn't follow.

Unless the presumption is that we, the viewers, are the ones infected with the fake memory. To me, this doesn't hold water because we are not characters in the show, even if Rick occasionally addresses us directly. Whenever there's perception or universe fuckery going on, we're impartial and aware of all of it. For instance, we can see every split in the first episode this season.

The simplest explanation is this: it is way, way, waaayyy funnier if Mr. Poopybutthole is a real and beloved person who's just happened to not be mentioned or seen before, and that's all you really need.

edit: Also, can somebody remind me who/what prompted the "catchphrases" sequence? I don't remember thinking it was a false memory.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

So, it's right after Beth doesn't kill Jerry. Near the end of the episode, there's a cut to the view of the house having the blast doors open, and almost immediately, Rick says "Rikki-Tikki-Tavi", a fake catchphrase introduced in a fake memory.

Killing the parasites didn't erase their gained memories, so Rick said "Rikki-Tikki- Tavi"! and "that's the waaay the news goes!" because they were now implanted in his catchphrase repertoire. It's not proof that the ending was a false memory.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
I think they just intentionally made the episode have a weird ambiguous ending that might not actually make sense and will be completely ignored in the next episode because Dan and Justin thought it would be funny and cool.

Did people argue this much about whether the ending of Something Ricked actually happened?

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Plenty of his reasoning is pretty stupid but if you rewatch the episode there's plenty that suggests that Mr. PB is indeed a parasite. He initiates the first flashback of the episode, the one in the elevator (which isn't very positive either), Beth has no pictures of him on her phone. I think there were a few more clues.

Just thought it was an interesting notion, it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. PB will return in a future episode, otoh it wouldn't surprise me if he's a Seven Bundy joke.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Plenty of his reasoning is pretty stupid but if you rewatch the episode there's plenty that suggests that Mr. PB is indeed a parasite. He initiates the first flashback of the episode, the one in the elevator (which isn't very positive either), Beth has no pictures of him on her phone. I think there were a few more clues.

Just thought it was an interesting notion, it wouldn't surprise me if Mr. PB will return in a future episode, otoh it wouldn't surprise me if he's a Seven Bundy joke.

To me everything that hinted at Mister Poopy Butthole being a parasite was deliberate red herrings / misdirection so that at the end we'd all be nodding along with Beth when she pulled out the gun and then we'd be incredibly stunned by the revelation that he'd been real the whole time.

Then you re-watch it and it fits pretty well as a concept, and like Alf said, it's wayyyy funnier and darker if he's real.

Like, the viewer starts off going who is this weird thing, is he a parasite, oh man even Rick is falling for it, he's putting 6 on the wall, I'm convinced he's a parasite, yeahhh no pictures on Beth's phone I've def got this figured out, oh he's conspicuously hiding during the shootout I can't wait to see how Rick puts it all together, why's he eating with them when he's definitely a parasite OHH SHIIIIIIT. The suggestions that he's a parasite were there to lure the viewer into a comfort zone of accepting that as a truth to make the revelation have a far greater impact.

kalensc fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 21, 2015

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Entropic posted:

I think they just intentionally made the episode have a weird ambiguous ending that might not actually make sense and will be completely ignored in the next episode because Dan and Justin thought it would be funny and cool.

Did people argue this much about whether the ending of Something Ricked actually happened?

It's not am ambiguous ending at all, it's incredibly explicit that Mr. Poopybutthole was real.

I am Reverend
Sep 21, 2008

Pheromosa's Special Attack rose!
Shut the gently caress up about Poopybuttholemen

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

I am Reverend posted:

Shut the gently caress up about Poopybuttholemen

Seriously, let's talk about something substantial.

Entropic posted:

Like this! I think it totally happened.

Holiday Lobster
Oct 27, 2009

I am going to smack everyone into tiny little pieces.
:h:
I'm at the point where I don't care if he was real or not. I just want sleepy Garry back so Jerry can be happy.

E: also maybe Tinkles.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

boom boom boom posted:

It's not am ambiguous ending at all, it's incredibly explicit that Mr. Poopybutthole was real.

Which makes no sense. But they did it because it's funnier that way and who cares if it doesn't make any sense.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Entropic posted:

Which makes no sense. But they did it because it's funnier that way and who cares if it doesn't make any sense.

It doesn't make no sense at all. He wasn't a parasite. Nothing about the episode doesn't make sense after you know that fact

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

boom boom boom posted:

It doesn't make no sense at all. He wasn't a parasite. Nothing about the episode doesn't make sense after you know that fact

He's always been there for us. He's here to help.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Entropic posted:

It's a bad writing joke.

Look, here's this wacky character that's totes been with us the whole time. That's the joke. It's like a bad sitcom you stopped watching for 3 years and then came back to it and noticing all the weird stupid characters they added.

It also happens to be pretty important to the plot and it leaves the viewers wondering what the deal is, leading to the punchline of the joke.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Holiday Lobster posted:

I'm at the point where I don't care if he was real or not. I just want sleepy Garry back so Jerry can be happy.

Surprised we haven't discussed this further, because it's kind of another can of worms like MPB. Did Sleepy Garry awaken bi or gay feelings inside Jerry? Is Jerry secretly gay? If you have memories of enjoying gay activities implanted in your brain, does that imply that being gay can be a choice?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

sweetmercifulcrap posted:

Surprised we haven't discussed this further, because it's kind of another can of worms like MPB. Did Sleepy Garry awaken bi or gay feelings inside Jerry? Is Jerry secretly gay? If you have memories of enjoying gay activities implanted in your brain, does that imply that being gay can be a choice?

Jerry enjoys being paid attention to. Doesn't matter who or how. He's a parasite.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Jerry's not gay, he's just gay for Sleepy Gary. And really who wouldn't be, he's so dreamy.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

CelticPredator posted:

It's a bad writing joke.

Look, here's this wacky character that's totes been with us the whole time. That's the joke. It's like a bad sitcom you stopped watching for 3 years and then came back to it and noticing all the weird stupid characters they added.

It also happens to be pretty important to the plot and it leaves the viewers wondering what the deal is, leading to the punchline of the joke.

Hows'it hangin everybodyyy???

"Yeah, hi Roy."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Holiday Lobster posted:

I liked tinkles a lot; she was like a mixture of Rainbow Bright, Lambchop, and an acid trip. I'd love an extended remix of her theme song if there's ever a soundtrack released for the show.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Oh my god are you all still talking about this?

The top loving fell over. You saw it wobble, it didn't do that the other times when he spun it in the dream world.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The top loving fell over. You saw it wobble, it didn't do that the other times when he spun it in the dream world.

But he dropped it in the bathroom so we can't be sure he wasn't dreaming then!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

It's more about that the character doesn't really care any more if he's awake or dreaming. He just wants to move on from his problems, and accept the life he lives in now.

Pavlov
Oct 21, 2012

I've long been fascinated with how the alt-right develops elaborate and obscure dog whistles to try to communicate their meaning without having to say it out loud
Stepan Andreyevich Bandera being the most prominent example of that
So guys important question: Is Mr. Poopy Butthole supposed to be a buttplug or something?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
He was recently shot by one of his best friends and you make fun of his apearance? Rude!

Grizzlegrax
Mar 21, 2013

:ghost: Bustin' Makes Me :ghost:
:ghost: Feel Good
:ghost:

Entropic posted:

Jerry's not gay, he's just gay for Sleepy Gary. And really who wouldn't be, he's so dreamy.

Dreamy cuz he's ALWAYS SLEEPING! Rikki-tikki-tavi!

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Mr. Poopy butthole was a parasite until it was funnier that he wasn't. That's how comedy logic works.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

Pavlov posted:

So guys important question: Is Mr. Poopy Butthole supposed to be a buttplug or something?

Oooh wee! Is this what being reduced to a sexual object feels like?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
A smart parasite would have just disguised itself as a non anthropomorphic item of furniture. Nobody would question a chair that's always been there.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIexUliqwWg

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?

r0ck0 posted:

Anyone read the comics? Are they as good as the show? Issues 1-5 are out.

They're a good read but so far the only one that I would say is "as good as the show" and feels like something Justin Roiland wrote is the first issue.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Applewhite posted:

A smart parasite would have just disguised itself as a non anthropomorphic item of furniture. Nobody would question a chair that's always been there.

Nobody would feed it, either, or listen to it talking to let it flash them back so it can reproduce.

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
So it should disguise itself as a TV or computer or something. It'd have to sneak around to eat. Has anyone seen where I left my phone?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Edit: Nevermind.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Aug 22, 2015

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Applewhite posted:

This is an honestly scary concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Applewhite posted:

That parasite would get farted on a lot though.

• Locked thread