Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

protastic posted:

Someone's life is always worth more than someone's property

I reject this premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

go3 posted:

I reject this premise.

Up to about $10 million. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_of_life#Life_Value_in_the_US

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Likewise on the hit by a car thing, I nearly got myself hit by a sheriff when I spent too much time looking one way and not the other before crossing a street near my house when I was 8 or 9. Both of my parents saw the whole thing from both sides of the street and the sheriff was a family friend, so the next hour or so was one after the other doing that whole "we're not yelling but you can tell we kinda want to" thing.

I've always been a lot more careful about crossing the street since then. Funny how that works.

PT6A posted:

My city is doing away with school zones, replacing them all with playground zones (same speed, but in effect every day of the year), because apparently people can't handle two different signs. Now we get to slow down unnecessarily every single day, from 7AM to 9PM!
Welp, I guess that's finally something dumber than the ones that say "school zone during restricted hours" but don't bother to note what the hell the hours actually are.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
So, I witnessed an accident in June. Guy slams into a car stopped for a red light (a stale red, at that) hard enough to flip his car onto its side and slide down the street for a good distance. I've now been contacted by both insurance companies, which I can only assume means that the asshat's insurer is actually trying to litigate this or something.

"Did you see the moment of the accident?"

"No, I saw the stopped car, and then I saw a car skidding down the street on its side with significant damage to the rear end of the stopped car." You don't need to be a loving physicist to figure out what happened.

I can't believe this isn't an open-and-shut, 100% at-fault case for the moron that caused the accident.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

PCOS Bill posted:

Yeah, if I got hit by a car when I was a kid, I would have been the one in trouble for loving up

This is the expectation but kids are young and do dumb stuff and so that needs to be accounted for. You can smack em in the head but that doesn't help if they are hit and in the hospital. I'd worry more about the adults that can't slow down in a school zone for a couple hours a day. If I remember correctly there are many of them in this thread.

Occupy Sesame Street!
Nov 20, 2012

go3 posted:

I reject this premise.

Unless they're jaywalking, on a two-wheeled vehicle, or doing something that might disrupt your driving, obviously. Didn't think I'd need to spell that out.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

nsaP posted:

This is the expectation but kids are young and do dumb stuff and so that needs to be accounted for. You can smack em in the head but that doesn't help if they are hit and in the hospital. I'd worry more about the adults that can't slow down in a school zone for a couple hours a day. If I remember correctly there are many of them in this thread.

Is this aimed at me? I don't object to school zones in general, but 14 hours per day, 365 days per year is significantly than "a couple of hours per day." Slowing down when school is actually in session makes perfect sense, and I observe school zones religiously (and don't overtake in them!). It also makes good sense to slow down to 30 km/h when you see children walking or playing in a residential area anyway, whether there's a zone or not.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I don't slow down in school zones. Kids don't walk anymore, there's no risk of hitting little Ashleigh in her mom's Range Rover.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

But you sure as poo poo can be fined in those zones.

Kids could be delivered to school in drones and school zones won't be going away, police love the revenue and the neighborhood grandma loves standing out there every single morning pretending they're still relevant.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

nsaP posted:

If I remember correctly there are many of them in this thread.

I seem to recall this was more of people ITT taking issue with parents who want a major artery essentially shut down so they don't have to be inconvenienced with having to yield to oncoming traffic and parents who think that parking across or in some stranger's driveway and refusing to move is acceptable behavior because they're waiting for their kids.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
In my experience a lot of those situations stem from parents thinking they need to roll out the red carpet for their kid, and people who said red carpet affects flying off the handle for what's ultimately not a big deal.

Both parties can take a step back in those situations.

Of course soccer moms in numbers can wreak havoc, but those situations seem far and few between or otherwise exaggerated.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

I just realized I need a dash cam specifically so I can share with you guys the absolute shitshow that is my daughter's junior high. Like this morning, I guess I stopped later than a woman liked at a stop sign today, because instead of driving through normally she came to a complete stop on the cross street in front of me and stared at me for a good second or two before I gave her the "what the gently caress are you looking at" hands and she moved on. Then of course when I turned and was following her, at the next intersection I had to wait as she stopped without pulling over to let her idiot kid get out of the car.

Etc etc and so it goes.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
despite there already being laws on the books covering it we just passed a city ordinance to ban texting while driving 'because children'

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Someone's up for re-election huh?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

Is this aimed at me? I don't object to school zones in general, but 14 hours per day, 365 days per year is significantly than "a couple of hours per day." Slowing down when school is actually in session makes perfect sense, and I observe school zones religiously (and don't overtake in them!). It also makes good sense to slow down to 30 km/h when you see children walking or playing in a residential area anyway, whether there's a zone or not.

You realise that they're changing everything to playground zones because there are something like sixty different school schedules being followed by the public, catholic and separate boards, right? Meaning, it's damned near impossible to know what a "school day" (as printed on the sign) is and what isn't. This way, there is no ambiguity.

I'm sorry you can't rip through that school-zone-turned-playground-zone you need to negotiate to buy the overpriced cheese and cigars you use to pretend to be some sort of sophisticate.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

xzzy posted:

Someone's up for re-election huh?

there's rumors the guy behind it wants a state rep seat so yeah

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

MrChips posted:

You realise that they're changing everything to playground zones because there are something like sixty different school schedules being followed by the public, catholic and separate boards, right? Meaning, it's damned near impossible to know what a "school day" (as printed on the sign) is and what isn't. This way, there is no ambiguity.

There's already no ambiguity. On the days when the flag outside the school is flying, school is in session, and you must do the school zone speed during the appointed hours. The hours were already the same, it's just a matter of which days they are in effect.

I also especially enjoy being lectured on school zone etiquette by the poster who admitted, mere pages ago, to literally passing someone in a school zone. But I'm sure that wasn't dangerous at all.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

PT6A posted:

There's already no ambiguity. On the days when the flag outside the school is flying, school is in session, and you must do the school zone speed during the appointed hours. The hours were already the same, it's just a matter of which days they are in effect.

I also especially enjoy being lectured on school zone etiquette by the poster who admitted, mere pages ago, to literally passing someone in a school zone. But I'm sure that wasn't dangerous at all.

I pass through school zones where I can't even see the school in question, let alone their flag pole. There are a few school zones I go through I don't even know where the school IS, just that there's one, somewhere, nearby.

TNO
Jul 9, 2006

I drank all your Kool-Aid.
Do your school zones not have flashing lights on the signs telling you when you should slow down?

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

TNO posted:

Do your school zones not have flashing lights on the signs telling you when you should slow down?

Not all of them, no. Some of them that have flashing lights flash year round, too.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

PT6A posted:

The flag flying is not an indication of when school is in session or not, actually.

And I'm sure you're such an angel that you've NEVER done anything illegal on the roads. Christ you've got your head so far up your rear end you're probably licking your own tonsils.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Protocol7 posted:

Both parties can take a step back in those situations.

Could you explain how exactly someone parking in or blocking access to your driveway and refusing to move is a situation in which both parties need to meet in the middle?

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Geoj posted:

Could you explain how exactly someone parking in or blocking access to your driveway and refusing to move is a situation in which both parties need to meet in the middle?
Well, that is exactly what the city traffic wardens tell me when I can't get in or out of my driveway, because some rear end in a top hat visiting the disco half a kilometre down the road doesn't want to pay 1 euro per 3 hours for parking.

It doesn't matter that they are blocking my driveway, it doesn't matter that they are parked in a manner that obstructs traffic, it doesn't matter that it is explicitly posted that you can't park there, gently caress it doesn't even matter that all of the above are illegal and carry fines starting at 96 euro.

They just don't want to deal with the paperwork of getting a car towed.

Craptacular
Jul 11, 2004

Well, if they're not going to tow people who are parking like that, maybe park in front of your own driveway. At least you'll be able to leave when you need to.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

PT6A posted:

There's already no ambiguity. On the days when the flag outside the school is flying, school is in session, and you must do the school zone speed during the appointed hours.

Sorry dude, I saw you post this somewhere else awhile ago, so I made sure to watch out for it, and it doesn't appear to be true. My local year-round elementary school still flies the flag when they're out of session.

Now, the parking lot of the school is empty except for (I assume) the janitor on those days, so that's what I go by.

I still don't think it's terribly ambiguous but I'm already on the crawling-speed-super-careful-watch-the-speedo-protect-the-children side of the spectrum so better safe than sorry anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Most school zones here also have playground zone signs as well, so you're hosed either way.

In the case of a photo-radar ticket, it would be up to you to prove school wasn't in session the date and time the ticket was issued, and an $80 ticket will still cost you $60 to fight and win.

Deedle
Oct 17, 2011
before you ask, yes I did inform the DMV of my condition and medication, and I passed the medical and psychological evaluation when I got my license. I've passed them every time I have gone to renew my license.

Craptacular posted:

Well, if they're not going to tow people who are parking like that, maybe park in front of your own driveway. At least you'll be able to leave when you need to.
Until there's one who'd rather sit on his rear end than walk his patrol and stuffs me with an 800 euro tow fee plus a couple hundred in fines.

It's a hassle but if I can get actual cops to show up, they will get it towed. Which is hilariously expensive for the owner, not to mention inconvenient because unlike the city wardens, the DA gets 10 workdays to decide whether or not to give the car back. The wardens have to return it immediately at the owner's request and the fines and fees will be in the mail.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Deedle posted:

Until there's one who'd rather sit on his rear end than walk his patrol and stuffs me with an 800 euro tow fee plus a couple hundred in fines.

It's a hassle but if I can get actual cops to show up, they will get it towed. Which is hilariously expensive for the owner, not to mention inconvenient because unlike the city wardens, the DA gets 10 workdays to decide whether or not to give the car back. The wardens have to return it immediately at the owner's request and the fines and fees will be in the mail.

And if you can't get the cops to come out, just say the the owner asked you if you want to buy weed, and the back end seems to be sitting really low as if the trunk is loaded down with weights.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Attention everyone! We have a grocery emergency! Must park perpendicular in two handicap spaces, get out of car, run into the store to get groceries! It's ok because have hazards on. LEGALIZE FREEDOM! DON'T TREAD ON ME!

Goober Peas fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 22, 2015

Killstick
Jan 17, 2010
I'm surprised the driver left the reserved parking sign standing.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

I see a lot of just bad in general driving, pretty much every day, but almost never something that is either terrible enough, or funny enough that I bother pulling the chip out of the dash-cam to save it for posterity. Today after leaving the office, I got one of each, so close together that the same song was still playing for the second one!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPAstNPNs6c

The laughter after I pass the white truck was because the look on the guys face was hilarious.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Geoj posted:

I remember when I was maybe 8 or 9 I rode my bike out into the street and someone had to slam on their brakes to avoid hitting me, and my father smacked the poo poo out of me on the spot and made me apologize to the driver.

Today you'd probably have the parents screaming at you for being an inhuman monster for daring to drive a car on the road when their child was within 500 yards.

I had to slam on the brakes the other day to avoid hitting a kid about the same age. He just glared at me when I laid on the horn and hit the brakes.

Not only was he crossing a major road with a 40 mph speed limit, he did so at a signaled intersection when I had a green light and he had a red. And yeah, if his parents had been there, I'm sure I would have been screamed at. Wouldn't be the first time. I've only seen one parent chastise their child for running out in front of me, and the only reason I didn't splatter him is I saw him run behind a parked car, and saw his feet under the car right at the edge, by the street so I slowed down to a crawl. Slow enough that locking up the brakes just made a slight "erk!" noise.

I remember as a kid, I was always told to NEVER walk or bike behind a car that was backing up. I remember I walked across the sidewalk in front of the house while my stepdad was backing out of the garage, and I got an rear end chewing over it. Now you get glared at if you're backing up and someone has to stop to wait for you. Or god forbid, they keep walking and you hit the brakes to keep from hitting them and making them drop the phone their face is buried in.

CharlieWhiskey posted:

I did get hit by a car on my bike when I was a kid. The offending driver brought me home where my mother bandaged me up, and apologized to the near-manslaughterer for the inconvenience.

I hit a (PARKED!) car on a bike when I was kid, and the owner of the car took me home. Does that count? :v:

(had to go to the ER to get stitches, busted my face up a bit)

I don't know if the owner of the car ever did anything about the dent I left in it, I was probably 7 years old. And on their son's bike. I know their son was pissed enough about the busted reflector that he never talked to me again.

TNO posted:

The majority of the signs I see don't - you only see the lighted ones on major roads. And even then, you often run across signs on major roads that don't have flashing lights.

The last store I worked at, the assistant manager got popped for 45 in a 20 mph school zone (street speed limit was 40, so she was speeding anyway). She pulled into the parking lot at work with the cop in tow, while I figuratively pulled up a seat and some popcorn (also told both the manager and owner "hey you gotta see what's going on out back!") while she argued with the cop that it wasn't a valid school zone because there were no flashing lights (she'd just moved in Texas). You could tell the cop was exercising a LOT of restraint and wanted to smack the poo poo out of her. If he had, I would have turned my head and swore I didn't see anything except for them parking.

The hilarious part was when she came inside and asked how much that ticket would be, and said "it'll be, what, $50? $75?". Everyone cracked up laughing and said she's lucky she didn't go to jail, since she was doing triple the speed limit and was lucky to escape with only a stack of tickets (they also popped her for not registering her car in TX within 30 days, and not getting a Texas license within 30 days). That level of speeding in a school zone is typically a $300 ticket in most of Texas, plus several points.

Goober Peas posted:

Attention everyone! We have a grocery emergency! Must park perpendicular in two handicap spaces, get out of car, run into the store to get groceries! It's ok because have hazards on. LEGALIZE FREEDOM! DON'T TREAD ON ME!

I saw a truck parked across two handicapped spaces AND blocking the ramp yesterday, along with blocking a regular parking space (they had a flatbed trailer attached to it). One of those spaces was one for a van, so it had a huge empty striped-off space next to it.

Those handicapped spaces that are mostly used by my employer's customers, and the neighboring restaurant's customers.

I sat back and watched the fireworks when the cops showed up. It was a contractor renovating a nearby empty space, apparently since it's empty that means they can block the only handicapped spaces on that side of the shopping strip.

I've parked in handicapped spaces before when doing deliveries, until I got an rear end chewing from someone who actually had that space reserved for them. I'll park in a fire lane before I park in either a reserved spot or handicapped now, especially since we don't use car signs at my store, and the local apartments are all too quick to tow.

I'm guilty of grocery emergency parking once, except I parked in front of a cart corral, and apparently parked close enough that someone couldn't get in their car. It was 5 minutes before close and I needed beer. :argh: I felt like a massive dick when I came out and saw the owner of the car next to mine trying to figure out how to get into their car, even moreso when I realized ".... poo poo, I parked in a no parking zone on top of that". :sigh:

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Aug 23, 2015

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
The Crown Vic was already parked and occupied when I pulled in, but the open spot was closest available and was so very tempting. I obviously don't care about a few more dings at this point, and I admit I'm a pretty passive-aggressive fuckhead when it comes to things like this. The woman spouted a stream of gently caress yous at me while I hopped the console and got out the passanger side. She said she'd hit me for sure when she pulled out, and she would call the police if I didn't find another spot to park. I told her to go ahead and call 'em since I was going to be inside for a while, and took a few pictures in the case she did.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

NoWake posted:

The Crown Vic was already parked and occupied when I pulled in, but the open spot was closest available and was so very tempting. I obviously don't care about a few more dings at this point, and I admit I'm a pretty passive-aggressive fuckhead when it comes to things like this. The woman spouted a stream of gently caress yous at me while I hopped the console and got out the passanger side. She said she'd hit me for sure when she pulled out, and she would call the police if I didn't find another spot to park. I told her to go ahead and call 'em since I was going to be inside for a while, and took a few pictures in the case she did.

Wow this in no way makes you look like a childish rear end in a top hat.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I don't get why that's even a problem. Her driver's door is still easy to get to, and she can pull out of there without difficulty. It just seems like you made it more difficult for yourself, but that's your business.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

PCOS Bill posted:

Wow this in no way makes you look like a childish rear end in a top hat.

Being childish would be hanging a sock over her side mirror, being an rear end in a top hat would be dumping a bottle of water through her sunroof. I wanted to, but I didn't actually want to go to jail. Being an rear end in a top hat to an rear end in a top hat makes all things right in the world, yes?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Passive aggressive fuckheads piss me off and you never explained why the other parker was a huge rear end in a top hat. Cause they were over the line? Did you even talk to them before confronting them?

I'd give 4:1 that they just parked poorly out of being poor parkers and no wake showed up like a smug dick to pull in the spot right and all they wanted was courtesy.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

NoWake posted:

I'm a manchild and did the same thing to someone recently, except their drivers side. Full parking lot at work, they took up 4 parking spaces (2 behind them, plus the 2 they took up with the front of the car).

I watched them park as I was leaving, and they got out of the car, looked at how they parked, shrugged, and went inside. When I got back from my delivery and they were still there, I took the only available parking space on that side of the parking lot (i.e. the only one where I wouldn't have to walk half a block). Not my fault they were nearly 3 feet into the only empty space.

Best part? Their car was about the same size as mine, so there's absolutely no excuse for that poo poo.

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice

nsaP posted:

Passive aggressive fuckheads piss me off and you never explained why the other parker was a huge rear end in a top hat. Cause they were over the line? Did you even talk to them before confronting them?

I'd give 4:1 that they just parked poorly out of being poor parkers and no wake showed up like a smug dick to pull in the spot right and all they wanted was courtesy.

She was sitting in the driver's seat smoking a cig when I pulled in. I reached over and knocked on her passenger window, told her she was way over the line and asked if she'd move over so I could open my door. She in return asked me to kiss her loving rear end, buttfuck my boyfriend (brother was with me) etc. I agree it's immature and passive aggressive but you get what you give.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Just read a story about an incident in the next city over. Dude in a Land Rover mowed down another guy on a motorbike as he thought it was his that was stolen a couple of days before.

Biker was seriously injured and the driver is now looking at attempted murder charges...

Is it just me or is that completely mental?

*edit: as in, aiming for someone with your car deliberately.

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Aug 23, 2015