Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free basket of chips
Sep 7, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

oh man if they make it so you can set how many times mario can take it hit that would crazy fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I don't like it

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Mario is so fwiggin Racist!

qnqnx
Nov 14, 2010

Whoever made that video needs to goddamn shut up

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i hope there arent a lot oflevels like that because while conceptually interesting that doesnt seem fun to play at all

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

rediscover posted:

i hope there arent a lot oflevels like that because while conceptually interesting that doesnt seem fun to play at all

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Its use of items is extremely cool but

- it means you can never get hit ever

- there's still a time limit

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Oh, and you never build up any real momentum because there's so much precision jumping.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

isnt he also p[laying his own level? imagine figuring all of that poo poo out through trial and error

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Bobnumerotres posted:

isnt he also p[laying his own level? imagine figuring all of that poo poo out through trial and error

Sounds like an epic way to spend an afternoon.

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

if the time limit could be disabled it would be fine. exploration with trial and error plus time limit equals zero fun samario

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i can understand restricting the time limit tho, nintendo probably wants to keep away from crazy long complicated levels. even if its a puzzle level or a ghost house or something a mario level should just last a few minutes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mario levels can be beaten in like 20 seconds if you run through them, so I'm hoping for a similar level of quality in the levels I play

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

In Training posted:

Mario levels can be beaten in like 20 seconds if you run through them, so I'm hoping for a similar level of quality in the levels I play

ya thats the thing i dont like about nsmb games, longer levels with checkpoints

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I will immediately skip all levels that require small mario to navigate long 1-block high corridors filled with turtle shells.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Azraelle posted:

I will immediately skip all levels that require small mario to navigate long 1-block high corridors filled with turtle shells.

That would be impossible.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx
nah, just dumb. there are going to be at least a few kauzo style levels. some people are into that poo poo. people will figure out how the engine works and they'll do insane set pieces that only a few people can get through. i'm looking forward to the precision Goomba stomping that will result.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

In Training posted:

That would be impossible.

I'm talking about the ones where you have long 1-block large corridors, and then some narrow vertical shafts to jump over shells that require trial-and-error timing.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Azraelle posted:

I'm talking about the ones where you have long 1-block large corridors, and then some narrow vertical shafts to jump over shells that require trial-and-error timing.

That is an oddly specific theoretical to hate.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I hope somebody does a SMM race at AGDQ where they just have to play a list of randomly generated levels

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
This loving game! I have it preordered with my cool Mario amiibo. I will never need to play another game again. This is it gamers. I am ecstatic for it :]

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P5fcDHnhOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its just like mario land

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

codenameFANGIO posted:

That is an oddly specific theoretical to hate.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

i don't usually go for maze levels like ghost houses/yoshi's island castles but the one in the video looks cool

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
well designed levels the length of a smb3 level is the ideal mario level imho

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax

Eonwe posted:

well designed levels the length of a smb3 level is the ideal mario level imho
SMB3 levels are generally really short. Honestly NSMB wasn't that bad with length. I'd much rather err on the long side. imho at least.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
new luigi tried having short hard levels with short time limits but they were too short

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Super Mario World had checkpoint levels, but still mostly not levels as long as NSMB, and imo established the most ideal balance.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I think as soon as I have the tools available, I'm going to make a more fun version of tubular.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3726029&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post449250504

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
I don't even want to fake quote that

that ivy guy
May 20, 2015

mamma mia

Dec 26, 2012

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012
Are they going to have checkpoints at all? Feels like the answer is no.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

INSPECTAH DECK posted:

Are they going to have checkpoints at all? Feels like the answer is no.

Yeah I don't think so :(

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah I don't think so :(

good

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

:dogbutton:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU