Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Japanese Games: Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid 3, Morrowind

American Games: Chrono Cross, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Final Fantasy 2, Call Of Duty, Oblivion, the bad Bust-a-Moves, Baldur's Gate 2, E.T. 64, Superman: The Arcade Game

The difference is clear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Japanese RPG: Hydlide

American RPG: Hunt the Wumpus

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Unlike modern Bethesda games even the shittiest Compile Heart pile doesnt require mods to be playable and even those have better story than Mass loving Effect.

As someone who just started playing base Skyrim on a scenic run, I very much disagree. I always find it odd that Bethesda gamers have that "mod or die" mentality when the games themselves are pretty drat fun on their own. They have that great sense of discovery since you always trek upon someone or something you've never seen before just lying around to be discovered.

Also, Mass Effect 1 and 2 had a good story. 3 imploded, but the gameplay was pretty tight, like the previous titles, and that's what I really want the most from my games. Story in games are always bad when judged on the bigger scale of media, so gameplay is usually what I look at for deciding factors.

Japanese Roleplaying games are just fine, but, outside of Chrono Trigger, FFX, FFV, and Persona 3+4, they never really appealed to me. They either move way too slow, suffer from plots that are just not my cup of tea, had character archetypes I didn't like, or just felt too "grind-y." Still, that's all personal preference and not objective.

Covok fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Aug 22, 2015

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

bunnielab posted:

Speaking of D&D, I am cleaning out my parent's garage and am would love to give the following old lead minis away to a good home.

They are mostly all labeled TSR and Ral Partha, I must have bought them in the early to mid 90's. I am going to keep a few of the painted ones for my desk, maybe just the twin mind flayers and the wizard/warlock looking dude. If anyone wants them let me know and I can stick them in the mail next week. They should all fit in a $5 flat rate box and I will cover shipping unless you live somewhere weird.
Hey, if these aren't spoken for I'd love these. I'll pm you my address if so. I've been running 4e with some old plastic Minis and colored washers. :)

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

dwarf74 posted:

Hey, if these aren't spoken for I'd love these. I'll pm you my address if so. I've been running 4e with some old plastic Minis and colored washers. :)

They are yours. PM me your address. They are a little rough but should be 90% salvageable.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Potsticker posted:

Arcanum has better interaction with the player's choice of race and gender.

Arcanum's also the perfect argument against Real-time with Pause.

It's a game that includes both a real time and turn-based modes. The RTwP mode is one of the worst combat systems ever inflicted and the turn-based is merely bad.

Aside from the atrocious combat, Arcanum has better interaction because it had better writing than almost all RPGs ever made.

Covok posted:

As someone who just started playing base Skyrim on a scenic run, I very much disagree. I always find it odd that Bethesda gamers have that "mod or die" mentality when the games themselves are pretty drat fun on their own. They have that great sense of discovery since you always trek upon someone or something you've never seen before just lying around to be discovered.

Theme park

quote:

Also, Mass Effect 1 and 2 had a good story. 3 imploded, but the gameplay was pretty tight, like the previous titles, and that's what I really want the most from my games. Story in games are always bad when judged on the bigger scale of media, so gameplay is usually what I look at for deciding factors.

Mass Effect 2's premise is like some golden age sci fi by a KKK affiliate.

Tulpa fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Aug 22, 2015

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
What the hell does that even mean? You're not even making Plutonis levels of sense.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

FactsAreUseless posted:

Japanese Games: Chrono Trigger, Deus Ex, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid 3, Morrowind

American Games: Chrono Cross, Deus Ex: Invisible War, Final Fantasy 2, Call Of Duty, Oblivion, the bad Bust-a-Moves, Baldur's Gate 2, E.T. 64, Superman: The Arcade Game

The difference is clear.

American Final Fantasy 2 is known as Doki Doki Panic 4 in Japan dude

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Covok posted:

Japanese Roleplaying games are just fine, but, outside of Chrono Trigger, FFX, FFV, and Persona 3+4, they never really appealed to me. They either move way too slow, suffer from plots that are just not my cup of tea, had character archetypes I didn't like, or just felt too "grind-y." Still, that's all personal preference and not objective.

Skyrim is Oblivion with the same engine and slightly better graphics yet unlike Oblivion every place managed to look the same while Mass Effect had the extremely AIDS cover shooter gameplay, go play a real game like The Witcher, SMT, Etrian Odyssey or Tales.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

:frogout:

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
See that's the real stuff.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Tulpa posted:

Mass Effect 2's premise is like some golden age sci fi

I'd argue it's more a modern take on sci fi, but I can see that. It does have some Star Trek elements.

quote:

by a KKK affiliate.

Wait, a minute, what? What? How do you even get that from that?

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Skyrim is Oblivion with the same engine and slightly better graphics yet unlike Oblivion every place managed to look the same while Mass Effect had the extremely AIDS cover shooter gameplay, go play a real game like The Witcher, SMT, Etrian Odyssey or Tales.

As someone who played the poo poo out of Oblivion, Skyrim is a very different game while still being an Elder Scrolls game, I'd argue. From the big changes like removing weapon durability to the little changes like the removal of certain magic effects, the game feels very different and offers new playstyles. For a quick example, Oblivion's difficult lockpicking minigame made magic amazing because of the Unlock spell while, in Skyirm, lockpicking has more utility because of the removal of that spell and the minigame being much more managable.

Also, while not for everyone, cover shooters are a perfectly fine gameplay subgenre. The first one was rough in that regard, but the laters really got good cover shooter gameplay down.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tulpa posted:

Arcanum's also the perfect argument against Real-time with Pause.

It's a game that includes both a real time and turn-based modes. The RTwP mode is one of the worst combat systems ever inflicted and the turn-based is merely bad.

Aside from the atrocious combat, Arcanum has better interaction because it had better writing than almost all RPGs ever made.

I should go back and play Arcanum again because the way I recall it was a lot like Fallout 2 in that eventually I would reach a part if the story (after I had beaten the game the first time) where I felt like all the fun interactive stuff was done and all that was left was the boring third act. As I recall it was the Dwarven Caves in Arcanum and everything after New Reno in Fallout 2.

At least that's how I recall Arcanum.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Potsticker posted:

I should go back and play Arcanum again because the way I recall it was a lot like Fallout 2 in that eventually I would reach a part if the story (after I had beaten the game the first time) where I felt like all the fun interactive stuff was done and all that was left was the boring third act. As I recall it was the Dwarven Caves in Arcanum and everything after New Reno in Fallout 2.

At least that's how I recall Arcanum.

Arcanum story and quests are pretty good all the way through, but the first few story dungeons were retarded hard unless you went out of your way to overlevel by exploiting. The loving Black Mountain mines were the worst. Featuring amazing challenges such as:

-10 miles of hallways full of oneshotting traps
-a giant room full of ore elementals which would break your weapon if you hit them in melee
-an entire dungeon full of wererats that are lightning fast, hit hard as hell and for extra gently caress you apply poison with their attacks

I'm sure many playthroughs ended there, or at least soured the player for the rest of the game. Maybe that's what you're remembering?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ojetor posted:

-a giant room full of ore elementals which would break your weapon if you hit them in melee

Oh, that was it. That's the point where I felt like it was just more fun to start another character or play a different game.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
The Spiderweb cRPGs are all pretty good (especially Geneforge), and made in America.

And yeah, Arcanum has a really frustrating early game.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Final fantasy 7 is extremely good

Citation: my personal experience and also elentor's S-tier LP

Serf
May 5, 2011

Mass Effect 2 was such a huge improvement over the first one in gameplay terms that it was almost unbelievable. It went from a wonky mess that you had to slog through to a smooth cover-shooter with a slick control scheme and smart, less intensive inventory management. Easily one of my favorite games ever. 3 improved on that in smaller ways, but the multiplayer (something I hadn't cared about) eventually sucked me in for over a hundred hours. You start out pinballing from enemy to enemy as a vanguard, then figure out how biotic/tech combos work and its off to the races. Next thing you know you're an invisible salarian with the biggest shotgun in the universe one-shotting bosses at point blank range.

Mass Effect was such a fun series, drat.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Serf posted:

the biggest shotgun in the universe one-shotting

Please stop doxxing my dick

Dec 26, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

The Spiderweb cRPGs are all pretty good (especially Geneforge), and made in America.

And yeah, Arcanum has a really frustrating early game.

Please play Geneforge, everyone.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Serf posted:

Mass Effect 2 was such a huge improvement over the first one in gameplay terms that it was almost unbelievable. It went from a wonky mess that you had to slog through to a smooth cover-shooter with a slick control scheme and smart, less intensive inventory management. Easily one of my favorite games ever. 3 improved on that in smaller ways, but the multiplayer (something I hadn't cared about) eventually sucked me in for over a hundred hours. You start out pinballing from enemy to enemy as a vanguard, then figure out how biotic/tech combos work and its off to the races. Next thing you know you're an invisible salarian with the biggest shotgun in the universe one-shotting bosses at point blank range.

Mass Effect was such a fun series, drat.

Mass Effect 2's story and plot progression was so bad that I never played 3.

Doubly so since I played Alpha Protocol first and couldn't play any other RPGs for a while without hating them after that.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Paper Mario 2 is the best RPG. Don't know why you're all still talking about bad games.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Jimbozig posted:

Paper Mario 2 is the best RPG. Don't know why you're all still talking about bad games.

It's the third best to me but I respect your informed and elegant choice.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Sorry to interrupt video game chat, but I don't really know any better topic to post this in except the chat thread.

Since a lot of rpgs have dice systems that can be annoying or difficult to try and run in irc, like counting up the number of successes in 30+ die Shadowrun rolls, or dealing with the symbol dice EOTE uses, I've been progressively making dice scripts for the various games my online group has attempted running to make the games run smoother. These scripts are all .tcl files designed to be used for the eggdrop (or windrop for running in windows) irc bot. Figure I'd upload them incase anyone else ends up wanting to use them for irc gaming.

http://www.mediafire.com/download/z0z016x12dum3j9/RPG_Dice_Scripts.zip

Games with scripts for them:
L5R 4e's roll/keep including the exploding dice. Rolls X dice and keeps the Y highest ones.
Shadowrun 5e and the "push the limit" edge usage. Counts successes, will state if a glitch or critical glitch occurs.
Torchbearer, including an attempt at doing the "decide actions in advance, declare simultaneously" flow of its combat.
AFMBE/Unisystem including its weird exploding dice method for 10s/1s.
One Roll Engine: displays each set generated by the dice roll.
Last Stand: Has card drawing for the Armory and Bio Armor decks to do the random chargen methods (we just did the draft method using this today).
EOTE: Handles the symbol dice for the game with the proper die faces.
Fate: Fudge dice rolling, outputing +,-, and blank spaces
Don't Rest Your Head: Handles up to 3 dice pools in one input for players rolling discipline, exhaustion, and madness dice all in one action.

and stuff some various pokemon, digimon, dragonball z homebrew games the group's played at various points.

Also has a basic XdY+Z style dice roller. Can handle two dice types (AdB+XdY+Z) for stuff like Ryuutama.

Readme file and usage guide in the archive states how to add the scripts, and what the command syntax for each script.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Covok posted:

Wait, a minute, what? What? How do you even get that from that?

Commander Shepard signs up with a racist paramilitary/terrorist organization run by a mysterious rich white dude that has been psuedo-retconned so that the disposable bad-guys you fought in a dozen cookie cutter missions from the first game are just an 'extremist faction' and not representative of the true values of the KKK Cerberus. Cerberus is the only organization with the clear vision to see the true threat alien outsiders pose to civilization and they have to work in secret because the government is too bureaucratic and myopic to face the truth.

Also, Jacob's dad, one of the few black characters in the game, ran a rape camp.

ME2 is like Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream only without the metafictional satire about the fascistic nature of pulp narratives.

Ojetor posted:

Arcanum story and quests are pretty good all the way through, but the first few story dungeons were retarded hard unless you went out of your way to overlevel by exploiting. The loving Black Mountain mines were the worst. Featuring amazing challenges such as:

-10 miles of hallways full of oneshotting traps
-an entire dungeon full of wererats that are lightning fast, hit hard as hell and for extra gently caress you apply poison with their attacks

I'm sure many playthroughs ended there, or at least soured the player for the rest of the game. Maybe that's what you're remembering?

Yep, The BMC mines are pretty much unbearable, and arcanum is a game where playing on easy difficulty and maybe even cheating to max out combat stats is probably worthwhile because the combat has so little to do with what makes the game great. On the other hand, you can complete the main quest without a strategy guide/walkthrough even if you decide to never go to the BMC mines, and it's not even a sequence break, the game is genuinely nonlinear in its quest design.

01011001 posted:

Please play Geneforge, everyone.

Yes, the Geneforge series is really good, though if you don't want to do the whole series and just play the best games, I would suggest you play the first one and the 5th one. The first one works really well as a standalone adventure while still providing all the necessary foreshadowing for the last game, which fortunately assumes that you haven't played any of the previous games.

Tulpa fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Aug 22, 2015

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

This is why I make it a point of having no evil races in my setting.

Ratpick
Oct 9, 2012

And no one ate dinner that night.
The best part of Arcanum, in my opinion, was there being a spell for speaking with the dead. It was only situationally useful, but being able to talk with the dead made some of the quests more interesting.

Also, Final Fantasy Tactics does own. I think everyone should play it.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tulpa posted:

Commander Shepard signs up with a racist paramilitary/terrorist organization run by a mysterious rich white dude that has been psuedo-retconned so that the disposable bad-guys you fought in a dozen cookie cutter missions from the first game are just an 'extremist faction' and not representative of the true values of the KKK Cerberus. Cerberus is the only organization with the clear vision to see the true threat alien outsiders pose to civilization and they have to work in secret because the government is too bureaucratic and myopic to face the truth.

ME2 is like Norman Spinrad's The Iron Dream only without the metafictional satire about the fascistic nature of pulp narratives.

You realize that the entire game is trying to make it clear Cerebus is dangerous and not to be trusted and the Illusive Man is pulling a "Satan's greatest trick" on you by trying to make you trust them. Numerous characters remind Shepard not to trust him, entire characters are signs of how the Illusive man uses and abuses people, and, if you do exactly as Cerebus tells you, you will see signs of the harm you're doing to people constantly. That's why, after all, the Illusive Man is the last villian you defeat before you defeat the Reapers. In other words, he is as dangerous and as important of a villain as the reapers. Heck, even the actor who played him, told the players that he viewed him as "someone not to be trusted."

Like, it's ok not to like the game, but this interpretation ignores all the subtext of the game.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

I played a single FF game, that being FF XII-2. While the fighing system wasn't awful, exactly, it did get rather boring between one boss and the next, and it had that problem I always have with JRPGs: I end up being shamefully underleveled because I abuse the weakness system and can't stand grinding for levels so I get brickwalled by particularly tough bosses.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

Covok posted:

You realize that the entire game is trying to make it clear Cerebus is dangerous and not to be trusted and the Illusive Man is pulling a "Satan's greatest trick" on you by trying to make you trust them. Numerous characters remind Shepard not to trust him, entire characters are signs of how the Illusive man uses and abuses people, and, if you do exactly as Cerebus tells you, you will see signs of the harm you're doing to people constantly. That's why, after all, the Illusive Man is the last villian you defeat before you defeat the Reapers. In other words, he is as dangerous and as important of a villain as the reapers. Heck, even the actor who played him, told the players that he viewed him as "someone not to be trusted."

Like, it's ok not to like the game, but this interpretation ignores all the subtext of the game.

I'm talking about Mass Effect 2 alone, your spoiler text is talking about stuff that happens in 3, a game I didn't play because I was disgusted at ME2. When I played ME2 I tried to pick every single option that was hostile to his organization and yet I was still railroaded into working with the space KKK. It's not a successful act of subtlety when the game is overtly about being the tool of space racists, pretends that it has legit choices and consequences but then only offers the option of quitting the game and never playing again as a way to avoid working for Cerberus (I regret not having taken this option as soon as it became clear that the game was gross).

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I pretty much only played Mass Effect 3 for it's multiplayer, since I never got through the first two games(unfortunately I can't beat ME1 cause it's so drat boring from a gameplay perspective)

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Why do a lot of people in this forum hate ability scores?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

paradoxGentleman posted:

I assume it's because derived stats are kind of a pain in the rear end to deal with. It's so much more intuitive to go "I have X which means I add X to rolls for thing" rather than "I have X stat which after some math gets me +Y to thing."

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I suspect that being a space racist is the only way to deal with alien contact. I think the general lesson of human history is that "colonize or get colonized" and I don't want no bug-man overlords. Same thing with Skyrim and those cat people, I just don't trust them not to bury turds all over the city and to not piss on my backpack given the chance.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

bunnielab posted:

I suspect that being a space racist is the only way to deal with alien contact. I think the general lesson of human history is that "colonize or get colonized" and I don't want no bug-man overlords. Same thing with Skyrim and those cat people, I just don't trust them not to bury turds all over the city and to not piss on my backpack given the chance.

You even have a conversation about this exact thing with a crew member in the first Mass Effect.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Ability scores make very little meaningful contribution to a character, and serve only to forever remind the player that his guy sucks because of a roll or decision he made three years ago.

In some games, your prime ability score is basically your "how good a [class]" score. A higher score is always better, there's no dilemma there.

Dec 26, 2012

paradoxGentleman posted:

Assuming they have a mechanical use beyond general skill proficiency, they're often redundant with the concept of classes and often bog down the math side of games, as well as being another part where someone can get "trapped" while making a character.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

Oh, so by "ability scores" you mean stuff like D&D stats? Strenght, Dexterity and whatnot?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Ability Scores are good and cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh, so by "ability scores" you mean stuff like D&D stats? Strenght, Dexterity and whatnot?

Yes.
Imo ability scores can be fine. As long as you don't also have skills. One or the other, but not both

• Locked thread