Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008

gleb09 posted:

Well I fixed the broken paint dispenser.... didn't expect the result :(

What happens? I've never bothered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poland Spring
Sep 11, 2005

UntilYouAreSoNude posted:

remember that one scene from Raiders of the Lost Ark where the Ark gets opened?

that's not what happens

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
How did you manage to fix it?

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

I'm pretty sure it's like a 9/10 chance of blowing up. I've spent a round on extended copying them with a device scanner and fixing them. After fixing it like 4 times and it blowing up, I just gave up.

NewMars posted:

How did you manage to fix it?

What are you having trouble with? Everything up to the "Insert paint cartridge" is just your standard toolbox stuff and some wiring. The paint comes from QM.

Mofleaker
Jun 30, 2011
The paint dispenser was fun while it lasted. Curse you AIBM!

awox
Aug 21, 2015
luv2club

Mofleaker posted:

The paint dispenser was fun while it lasted. Curse you AIBM!

Wait, it got removed?

Mofleaker
Jun 30, 2011

ErikHanson posted:

Wait, it got removed?
It was once available for all to use. Entire stations were painted hot pink. This lasted for about a week until it was run into the ground and consequently the dispenser was transformed into the sorry state it's in today. :rip:

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum
Everything getting painted constantly wasn't the problem in itself, but painting absolutely everything caused lag.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
If only there were ways to replicate the Secret Paints in the debris field. Paint the station plaid.

Houka
Mar 27, 2014

Archenteron posted:

If only there were ways to replicate the Secret Paints in the debris field. Paint the station plaid.

One of the bugs that came with that was turning pods invisible by painting them with plaid. It sounds really weird to repeat that to myself out loud.

UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008
Than you to Gannets/Hufflaw for organising a monkey vs. humans arena match today, set to the Barkley Gaiden theme.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Houka posted:

One of the bugs that came with that was turning pods invisible by painting them with plaid. It sounds really weird to repeat that to myself out loud.

They've gone plaid :stare:

awox
Aug 21, 2015
luv2club
plaidstation13

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Another good ship lost to the horrors of the plaid dimension.

Incidentally, I suppose the paint issue means there's no chance of a paintball gun and associated paintball match funtimes? A shame.

awox
Aug 21, 2015
luv2club

NewMars posted:

Incidentally, I suppose the paint issue means there's no chance of a paintball gun and associated paintball match funtimes? A shame.

Wait, paint causes lag? Thats odd.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

NewMars posted:

Oh God. Traitor paintballs infused with hellchems. :gonk:

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy

ErikHanson posted:

Wait, paint causes lag? Thats odd.

It's probably an entity layer over the top of whatever you're painting. Thousands of them.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Black Pants posted:

It's probably an entity layer over the top of whatever you're painting. Thousands of them.
There may be better ways to do it now, the coders have done a lot of work making things like the color of objects more logical, but I'm not sure.

Which is a shame, because Gang mode would be a lot more fun if it were just Splatoon.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

A cool traitor weapon would be a paintgun. If you shoot it normal it simply leaves paint marks (or, alternatively, turns whole blocks colored) everywhere, including players. You can also infuse the paintballs - that you can buy as extra ammo - with chems to make them extra fun.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Wasn't paint lag eliminated ages ago?

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Michaellaneous posted:

A cool traitor weapon would be a paintgun. If you shoot it normal it simply leaves paint marks (or, alternatively, turns whole blocks colored) everywhere, including players. You can also infuse the paintballs - that you can buy as extra ammo - with chems to make them extra fun.

Applies on-touch chem reactions.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Michaellaneous posted:

Wait, I have a better idea: if paint is no longer lagging, have the vendor work, and have paintball guns available if the vending restrictions are disabled.

Zuggeh
Sep 14, 2012

Fucking Pterodactyls.
I whole-heartedly endorse paint/paintguns being a thing. As far as features that can be run into the ground, I feel like it would be pretty benign* and would probably subside on its own once everyone has had their fun.

*not so much if additional chems could be added.

Edit: adding chemicals to paint could be fun... Sure you could coat everything in some ridiculous hellmix, OR you could paint a fish with styptic powder and run around the station slapping people with it.

Zuggeh fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 22, 2015

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

You already have paint guns for Chema. They're called flamethrowers.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Last night I busted into chemlab and found a flamethrower some of the chem nerds had been tinkering with, namely Damian Garneys. I decided to use it to kill myself and discovered it had styptic powder in. Is it possible to put something like silver sulfadiazine in and have a flamethrower that treats burns?

awox
Aug 21, 2015
luv2club

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Last night I busted into chemlab and found a flamethrower some of the chem nerds had been tinkering with, namely Damian Garneys. I decided to use it to kill myself and discovered it had styptic powder in. Is it possible to put something like silver sulfadiazine in and have a flamethrower that treats burns?

Yes.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

But filling it with anything but ants/spiders is a crime.

gleb09
Jan 21, 2015
Who are the celebrities in the Goonstation (or even SS13) community. Who are the people who revolutionized this game, the ones who cause nerfs to certain mechanics, weapons, chemicals. I don't know SS13 history too well but I do know of Cuban Pete.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
zorato was a poo terrorist. lord doom was a terrorist in general. there have been a few people of note known for either how destructive they're capable of being or for their horrible sperginess. humble bee was one of the latter. he wound up finding himself pissing people off every round with his pedantic bullshit and usually got lynched for it.

Zuggeh
Sep 14, 2012

Fucking Pterodactyls.
What are some good ways to enable fun in a given round? When not an antag I find myself trying to find ways to help the crew but often go unnoticed by all but a rare few. I also like playing civilian jobs because I think they can add flavor to an otherwise dull round. Basically, what would YOU like to see Fridtjof Nansen doing as a chef/barman/janitor/botanist/chaplain?

UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008

Darkman Fanpage posted:

zorato was a poo terrorist. lord doom was a terrorist in general. there have been a few people of note known for either how destructive they're capable of being or for their horrible sperginess. humble bee was one of the latter. he wound up finding himself pissing people off every round with his pedantic bullshit and usually got lynched for it.

I feel like Help Medbay is on his way to this status, too. No matter what role he gets, he insists on flashing people to steal their weapons/robbing sec.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

I feel like Help Medbay is on his way to this status, too. No matter what role he gets, he insists on flashing people to steal their weapons/robbing sec.

He's a real motherfucker, that guy.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Zuggeh posted:

What are some good ways to enable fun in a given round? When not an antag I find myself trying to find ways to help the crew but often go unnoticed by all but a rare few. I also like playing civilian jobs because I think they can add flavor to an otherwise dull round. Basically, what would YOU like to see Fridtjof Nansen doing as a chef/barman/janitor/botanist/chaplain?

A good barman is one who enables crewmen to kill or incapacitate themselves in spectacular fashion with just a sip or two.

Kayle7
Mar 19, 2012

Little solace comes
to those who grieve
when thoughts keep drifting
as walls keep shifting
and this great blue world of ours
seems a house of leaves
moments before the wind.

magic mountain posted:

He's a real motherfucker, that guy.

Almost certain he changed his name to Matt Dale just recently

haha oh poo poo is that the new Motherfucker character? didn't catch that till just now

Kayle7 fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Aug 23, 2015

Mom with a blog
Jul 15, 2009

Comedy is basically self-deprecation.
RIP George Melons, we barely knew thee

2??? - ????

UntilYouAreSoNude
Apr 21, 2008

Kayle7 posted:

Almost certain he changed his name to Matt Dale just recently

haha oh poo poo is that the new Motherfucker character? didn't catch that till just now

Enlighten me, is he someone I should know?

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

That dick has killed me as a non-antagonist without saying a word simply for being near him at the start of the round when he obsessively cracks the ISS derelict crates. And has generally been a silent, unfun rear end in a top hat everywhere else.

Avoid if possible.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Anticheese posted:

That dick has killed me as a non-antagonist without saying a word simply for being near him at the start of the round when he obsessively cracks the ISS derelict crates. And has generally been a silent, unfun rear end in a top hat everywhere else.

Avoid if possible.

somthing similar happened to me years ago when the mining station was still the normal spawn. came back from a piss between rounds and found someone choked me to death within 30 seconds of the round starting because he reckoned I was one of those babies who quit when they're not an antag :downsbravo:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
The shuttle took a trip through the Lava Dimension on its way back after the engine melted down. I was the only survivor in a lava-surrounded shuttle., most likely because I buckled up for safety in my chair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The shuttle took a trip through the Lava Dimension on its way back after the engine melted down. I was the only survivor in a lava-surrounded shuttle., most likely because I buckled up for safety in my chair.
Seatbelt safety is very important and I sigh every time 15 people get thrown against the walls of the shuttle when it leaves. Buckle up, people!

• Locked thread