Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Night10194 posted:

Basically, anyone who wins naval superiority has already won in 40k, GW hasn't been supporting the naval game for years

FTFY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Which is a drat shame. I still have my Imperial Fleet and that game was a lot of fun. But as has come up in other threads, a game where you can get 6 Cruisers for 33 bucks and be set to play isn't something GW wants to sell.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Why does everyone keep calling the Tau commander O'Kais instead of Kais? Is he some kind of Tau-Irish hybrid?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shas'O'Kais is his full name. There should also be an additional name in there for his home colony. It's Shas (Caste designation, fire caste), 'O (Hero/Colonel/Commander, rank designation), missing his colony designation, and then Kais (personal name).

So O'Kais is equivalent to calling him Commander Kais.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
^^^^^ha, beaten

Guitar_Hero posted:

Why does everyone keep calling the Tau commander O'Kais instead of Kais? Is he some kind of Tau-Irish hybrid?

It's literally the Tau equivalent of saying "Commander Kais".

EDIT:

Shas'o translates to "Fire Caste Commander"
O'Kais translates to "Commander Kais"

Sally fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Aug 21, 2015

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
To elaborate on that a bit further, it's suggested that Kais is from T'au itself, so his full name would be Shas'O T'au Kais. Some especially distinguished Tau then pick up an additional name as an honorific. For example, Commander Farsight, the leader of the Tau rebellion against the Ethereals, is fully known as Shas'O Vior'la Shovah Kais Mont'yr.

Yes, he has the same personal name as the PC here, also shared with the PC of the game Fire Warrior. It's supposed to be a very common personal name for Fire Caste.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
So basically he's the Tau equivalent of Captain John Smith.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Don't be silly, Tau don't have last names. That would imply they value individuality enough to distinguish between three different Captain Johns. Instead you have Captain John the Far-Sighted and two schlub Captain Johns.

Farsight can otherwise be easily distinguished because he's piloting the battlesuit with the giant sword and being accompanied by what are totally not the Seven Samurai: Sub-Commander Torchstar, Shas'vre Ob'lotai 9-0 (an AI), Commander Bravestorm, Honor-Shas'vre O'Vesa (an Earth caste mad scientist), Commander Sha'vastos, Commander Brightsword, and Commander Arra'kon.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

I say we take the Vandean Coast before repositioning for an attack on the Space Marines in the following turn. The increased requisition from the coast will help support the costs of forward bases and our territory to the west of the Marines puts us in a position to defend against any attacks on us by the Space Marines and Eldar.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Orestan Plains for the Crisis suits stored there. Also we have not bloodied the Imperial Guard yet.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Farsight can otherwise be easily distinguished because he's piloting the battlesuit with the giant sword

That is totally not a khornate artifact.

Isn't it cute! The Tau are having their own Horus Heresy. It's like they think they're people or something.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

goatface posted:

That's if they want to blow it up. I'm talking about the accidentals.
Except when calling for Exterminatus the Inquisitor has to provide his full authorization code (in some form or another, Signet Rings are the usual backup in case of a post-mortem call) so the only accidental Exterminatus' are the 'wait what do you mean the problem solved itself oh crap now this world is going to die needlessly' sort.

One thing I'm not sure of that the Imperium also has over the Tau are Titan Legions. I don't think Tau can field anything that pound for pound matches a Titan. Anyone know if they do in fact have something that huge?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Lone Badger posted:

That is totally not a khornate artifact.

It's Necron. :v: The dude from Fire Warrior is the one who has Khorne whispering in his ear.

quote:

Anyone know if they do in fact have something that huge?

Forge World is giving them one according to the latest Warhammercon or whatever, but historically no the Tau answer to Titans is starships, particularly the Manta - a superheavy gunship/small frigate armed to the teeth with rail guns, ion cannons, and missiles.

Archaeology Hat
Aug 10, 2009

EponymousMrYar posted:

One thing I'm not sure of that the Imperium also has over the Tau are Titan Legions. I don't think Tau can field anything that pound for pound matches a Titan. Anyone know if they do in fact have something that huge?
I vaguely recall them having some kind of very large rail gun laden gunship in their fairly limited epic release in the 00s

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Except when calling for Exterminatus the Inquisitor has to provide his full authorization code (in some form or another, Signet Rings are the usual backup in case of a post-mortem call) so the only accidental Exterminatus' are the 'wait what do you mean the problem solved itself oh crap now this world is going to die needlessly' sort.

The Mechanicus outright refuse to field Titans against the Tau, claiming they're unworthy of fighting them.

The real reason is the last time they did this the Tau air force killed a bunch of Titans and they learned that if you send one of those pieces of crap against them, you don't get it back.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

EponymousMrYar posted:

No, not that sort of accidental. The "I'm going to fix this problem by being smart" accidentals. The ones they do while showing how easy it is to use this ancient artefact to channel plasma directly from the sun through a micro-wormhole and use it as a flamethrower, or how easily they can manipulate the lesser races to do their bidding, or just showing off their pet daemonhost.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Dawn of War 2: Retribution has a pretty good example of an Exterminatus being carried out.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h67JpMyrOVE

Edit: the first part of the cutscene is the intro to a mission where you have to fight your way to a teleportation relay while the planet is literally being blown away from under your feet by the orbital bombardment, and then after the mission ends the second part plays out with the Inquisition delivering the final blow to the planet.
It's pretty :black101:

radintorov fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Aug 22, 2015

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

EponymousMrYar posted:

Manta gunships, complete with smart missile loads, ion cannon arrays, and starship grade railguns, plus the cargo space to transport an entire hunter cadre. Because why make a giant robot when you can just use a gunship to blow it up instead?

E:f;b

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

The Tau always preferred Front Mission to Gundam.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Night10194 posted:

The Tau always preferred Front Mission to Gundam.

I have no knowledge of either, except that they're both mech games/animes?

I assume Front Mission has lots of gunships, which are awesome, and Gundam has a bunch of robot mechs, were are cool, I guess, but impractical?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Front Mission's mechs are 'only' like 10-15 feet tall and used much more like a Crisis Suit and are sort of 'just another weapon' alongside choppers, tanks, and infantry. As opposed to massive 30m robots in Gundam.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Bear in mind, this monstrosity is getting added to the Tau arsenal by Forgeworld. It's a Tau titan, called the Supremacy Armor. Also another bigger battlesuit that the Crisis was added after Dark Crusade, but smaller than this one. Riptides superheavy but not Titan superheavy, think a Baneblade.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:
drat I missed a trick there! I could have made a crisis suit or broadside for the lp!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
See, that's why they suck.

Everyone else is fighting with robots and monsters the size of buildings that walk up and punch each other, and then some min-maxing sperg has to show up with his railgun on a plane and ruin it for everybody.

Cythereal posted:

Bear in mind, this monstrosity is getting added to the Tau arsenal by Forgeworld. It's a Tau titan, called the Supremacy Armor. Also another bigger battlesuit that the Crisis was added after Dark Crusade, but smaller than this one. Riptides superheavy but not Titan superheavy, think a Baneblade.

Well that just looks silly.

Rulebook Heavily
Sep 18, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
This LP is making me want to dig out that old unpainted Tau battlebox I have lying around, I admit.

Or possibly those Grey Knights I have :getin:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

drat I missed a trick there! I could have made a crisis suit or broadside for the lp!

???

goatface posted:

See, that's why they suck.

Everyone else is fighting with robots and monsters the size of buildings that walk up and punch each other, and then some min-maxing sperg has to show up with his railgun on a plane and ruin it for everybody.

Well that just looks silly.

No, that's why they're hilarious and awesome! Suck it, everyone else, the Tau know how to play the game better! are more competent than you!

Also, that Tau Titan looks rad as heck. For the Greater Good, and all that.

EDIT: also, the term "railgun on a plane" made me laugh.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
The more appropriate Tau titan-equivalent would be the Manta, a heavy gunship and landing craft:

It's... pretty loving big:

efb.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Pierzak posted:

The more appropriate Tau titan-equivalent would be the Manta, a heavy gunship and landing craft:

efb.

For reference, in the starship combat spinoff of 40k, Thunderhawks are considered fighters. Mantas are full on starships.

And I agree with Blind Sally. Get with the giant stompy robots or go home you giant loving mind-controlled greyskin nerds.

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

I did a tiny let's play of the game. Part of it is building your own mecha suits to make stupid broken robots to shoot mans with. I could probably have pulled off a pretty accurate crisis suit within the game's garage.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where would you even PUT the house-sized chain-fist?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Pierzak posted:

efb.

For reference, I'm pretty sure that little APC in the middle is about the size of that Predator tank Thule threw at us in the last mission:

Cythereal posted:

And I agree with Blind Sally. Get with the giant stompy robots or go home you giant loving mind-controlled greyskin nerds.

I support railguns on planes just as much as I support giant stompy robots.

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I did a tiny let's play of the game. Part of it is building your own mecha suits to make stupid broken robots to shoot mans with. I could probably have pulled off a pretty accurate crisis suit within the game's garage.

That sounds brilliant. I've never played a Front Mission game, which one is worth playing to build Tau Battlesuit knock-offs?

Delacroix
Dec 7, 2010

:munch:

JohnOfOrdo3 has an expensive hobby. :v:

Pierzak posted:

quote:

The Manta has been designed to have a fully working and detailed interior and has two decks: the upper deck is where you will find forty-eight seated resin Fire Warriors and six Gun Drones, overseen by a seated Tau Ethereal. They exit through doors that retract into the walls and then down to the landing zone via the hidden extendable ramp. On the lower deck are eight Tau Battlesuits, two Devilfish troop carriers and two Hammerhead battle-tanks. This whole deck drops down so the vehicles and Battlesuits can disembark and deploy rapidly.

:stare: Nine hundred and eighty nine pounds.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Delacroix posted:

Jesus loving christ. How? Why? Who would BUY THAT?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nerds. Pretty sure that's not even close to the most expensive thing FW sell.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Night10194 posted:

Jesus loving christ. How? Why? Who would BUY THAT?

You don't understand, it's for The Greater Good™.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
That's about my yearly food budget. :stare:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Why do Tau railguns have rectangular barrels? Do they fire weird shaped projectiles or what?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

goatface posted:

Nerds. Pretty sure that's not even close to the most expensive thing FW sell.

It's not. I took a quick peek at the Imperium Titans...

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Delacroix posted:

At first I thought you meant pounds as in weight, before I realized you meant pound as in currency. Wow, that seriously is a lot for a (admittedly very large) plastic model...

Still, I love the doctrine behind the use of the Manta. Just shoot the poo poo out of any threat on the ground, and then land an entire Hunter Cadre there to seize and hold the territory. No need to bother with giant fuckoff robots, just shoot them full of holes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
Yeah... and then you start looking at conversion rates for the British Pound into US or Canadian Dollars...

eesh...

Also: I hate you, you're making me want to play this again >:(

• Locked thread