Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

captainOrbital posted:

Just got home after spending a night in the ICU and another night in a rather nice (and probably quite expensive) private room after getting (apparently) smashed by some lady that blew a stop sign. I don't remember anything; I don't know if I was awake for the ambulance or the ER. Hell, once I woke up I didn't recognize my own mom (I did say hi to her husband, though). The upshot is that I am mostly better now, aside from a broken collarbone and a bruised hand. Got pretty lucky overall, thank goodness for all my gear. I have no idea in what shape my bike is. Probably won't be able to ride until the spring. And I was so looking forward to that Ducati demo ride tomorrow!

Good luck on your recovery man, that's poo poo luck right there :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Buell are your other 99 though.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Goons stop getting rekt please :(

Yes this. No more rekt.

On the bright side the Ducati horn made me laugh. Primarily because it started out slightly acceptable and then vocal fried its way into straight up nasal.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

captainOrbital posted:

Crash nightmare I can't believe can happen.

I'm so glad you pulled through without being dead or disabled. What a terrible thing to go through. I hope your family is taking it ok. This sort of intense accident is the sort of thing I try to deny is a possibility. For it to happen to one of our own responsible and geared up riders is quite a surprise. It's such a good thing that your gear was there to save you.

Collarbones heal up fine and are a reasonably easy to break thing, and a bruised hand is a bruised hand. The collarbone will heal up sooner than you think, just bear with it as it does. With that, it sounds like you might be back to riding well before spring, unless there are other complications. I can't quite place which bike you had. Do I dare ask which one got wadded?

First poor HCC got the hit, now you. I'm just so sorry to see good riders get injured.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

captainOrbital posted:

It seems like my head took most of the impact. I have a big abrasion on my forehead, my braces are all hosed up...my poor wife was telling me that I kept asking her if something happened. Like every 5 minutes or so. I'm glad I don't remember most of that.

Wow, you're really lucky if that type of poo poo happened and you're typing coherently two nights later.

Glad to hear you're mostly OK

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

captainOrbital posted:

Just got home after spending a night in the ICU and another night in a rather nice (and probably quite expensive) private room after getting (apparently) smashed by some lady that blew a stop sign. I don't remember anything; I don't know if I was awake for the ambulance or the ER. Hell, once I woke up I didn't recognize my own mom (I did say hi to her husband, though). The upshot is that I am mostly better now, aside from a broken collarbone and a bruised hand. Got pretty lucky overall, thank goodness for all my gear. I have no idea in what shape my bike is. Probably won't be able to ride until the spring. And I was so looking forward to that Ducati demo ride tomorrow!
That sounds awful, I'm glad you're (mostly) ok. :sympathy:

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
So glad you're OK captainOrbital, stories like that are the one reason I'd ever quit riding and makes me angry.

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

M42 posted:

Goons stop getting rekt please :(

This. Get well soon capt/HCC.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Gorson posted:

Yeah that's pretty awful, but calling a marketing honk an adult human is a stretch. I like the looks but if it rides like the NC700 I'm not interested. I test rode one and it felt like a big soulless scooter.

There's nothing I love more than the "soulless" character of my NC (CTX). The lack of soul ensures my bike starts every time and, even though it's got a DCT, has had literally zero non-regular-maintenance issues in 9k miles over my first year.

Orbital - what gear were you wearing? I'd like to lean towards the brands that are keeping people breathing. Glad to hear you will be OK.

Radbot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Aug 21, 2015

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Radbot posted:

There's nothing I love more than the "soulless" character of my NC (CTX). The lack of soul ensures my bike starts every time and, even though it's got a DCT, has had literally zero non-regular-maintenance issues in 9k miles over my first year.

There's a difference between not being "soulful" and "having character". I mean if you like the way that engine feels then cool but don't mistake that for being a symbol of reliability.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
It's reliable, and it pisses off motorcycle enthusiasts on the Internet. It's pretty much everything I need in a bike.

americanzero4128
Jul 20, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Orbital, glad you're still alive after that. Getting wrecked like that is my wife's biggest fear when I ride.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Radbot posted:

It's reliable, and it pisses off motorcycle enthusiasts on the Internet. It's pretty much everything I need in a bike.

You're nearly as sick as the Buell owners.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Glad you're not too banged up captain, as someone that remembers every loving vibration jostling bone pieces on the Care Flight, I'd count you pretty lucky in more ways than one.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

americanzero4128 posted:

Orbital, glad you're still alive after that. Getting wrecked like that is my wife's biggest fear when I ride.

Because you'd be too hosed up to contribute, but not hosed up enough for life insurance to pay out?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
So I said something in the pics thread that has sort of crystalised something else in my mind...

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I sort of like the idea but gently caress me the execution is terrible. Like get that properly panel-beat and polished, and use decent LEDs, that'd look pretty cool in a Buck Rogers kinda way.

I realised those words would be Martian to whoever made that thing. This is what really pisses me off about not just hipster bikes, it's everywhere - software design, "maker" culture, and of course almost every loving thing published on the internet. It's the complete neglect of craft - not a conscious rejection as you'd get with, say, modern art or a rat bike, but the idea that the craft is completely and totally subservient to The Idea, and that if the result is poo poo it doesn't matter because "I'm creative!".

This could probably turn into an anti-millenial rant but I'll stop here. And you can't criticise me for it because I'm creative!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

So I said something in the pics thread that has sort of crystalised something else in my mind...

I realised those words would be Martian to whoever made that thing. This is what really pisses me off about not just hipster bikes, it's everywhere - software design, "maker" culture, and of course almost every loving thing published on the internet. It's the complete neglect of craft - not a conscious rejection as you'd get with, say, modern art or a rat bike, but the idea that the craft is completely and totally subservient to The Idea, and that if the result is poo poo it doesn't matter because "I'm creative!".

This could probably turn into an anti-millenial rant but I'll stop here. And you can't criticise me for it because I'm creative!

It's been like that a lot longer than "kids these days".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Kids these days are a product of the world prior generations built.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

Kids these days are a product of the world prior generations built.

It's dumb cunts all the way down.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
:downs: "you're safer without a helmet."

:geno: "we kind of view helmets as seatbelts."

:downs: "I don't wear those either."

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pope Mobile posted:

:downs: "you're safer without a helmet."

:geno: "we kind of view helmets as seatbelts."

:downs: "I don't wear those either."

Do we have a :darwin:?

e: nope

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

You're nearly as sick as the Buell owners.

Look it just happens to be pretty reliable and I don't know why it pisses you all off

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

clutchpuck posted:

Look it just happens to be pretty reliable and I don't know why it pisses you all off

It's just some good natured ribbing, you're all right.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Thirding that you're full of poo poo, in this regard. That millennials aren't all killing everyone older than them for stealing their chance at propserity is proof positive that they're good people.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

That millennials aren't all killing everyone older than them for stealing their chance at propserity is proof positive that they're good people.

But that would require effort beyond snapchat.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

But that would require effort beyond snapchat.

I don't know anyone my age that uses snapchat (29 year old and a millennial here).

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Radbot posted:

I don't know anyone my age that uses snapchat (29 year old and a millennial here).

Well with - I presume - a drivers' license, you're already an outlier.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Things happen later than the rest of the world in little old NZ so the only people I've met who fit the millenial stereotype of being lazy stupid useless device-addicted fucks are around 20. I'm 27.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

clutchpuck posted:

Not statistically, no.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Radbot posted:

That millennials aren't all killing everyone older than them for stealing their chance at propserity is proof positive that they're good people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7XVcqZodAM

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

clutchpuck posted:

Where do you live that driver's licenses aren't a thing that everyone (who didn't just get a DUI) have?

VVV Norway?

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Aug 25, 2015

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013

Marxalot posted:

Where do you live that driver's licenses aren't a thing that everyone (who didn't just get a DUI) have?

Likely somewhere they don't put them in crackerjack boxes.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Sorry sometimes I forget you guys don't appreciate humor.

e: or you're all easily-offended millenials (yes I realize this is redundant).

clutchpuck fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Aug 25, 2015

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Marxalot posted:

The United States, at least if you're under 25.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonkblog/wp/2014/10/14/the-many-reasons-millennials-are-shunning-cars/

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/7750246

http://business.time.com/2013/08/09/the-great-debate-do-millennials-really-want-cars-or-not/

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

All I'm seeing is

- The washington post acting like the difference between their arbitrarily defined 'generations' is anything other than an age thing (5% difference in car use? That's it?). There's a definite cultural shift in this country for a hundred reasons, but most of what they're bringing is the typical "drat KIDS THESE DAYS :argh:" hype/clickbait aimed at an older crowd. Seriously, "Their report defines millennials as born between 1983-2000, the youngest of which are just on the verge of their first driver's licenses (should they choose to get them)" and from there we get "They'd rather spend their money on experiences than things. Of the things they do own, they value smartphones and laptops over cars".
I'm probably reading into this (and :spergin:) too much, but whatever. At least in my part of the country (and every place I've visited) you either have a car, access to one, or you don't work. Not counting people in college, or highschoolers.

- uber knockoff? Dunno.

- "A bloo bloo, people making <20/hr don't want a $500 payment on some ugly rear end overpriced SUV crossover for the next 5-7 years" - Sincerely, GM.
Also, I'm just going to quote this straight from the article and drop the mic.

quote:

The latest data from the University of Michigan’s Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI) bolsters the idea that younger Americans are much less interested in car ownership than their older siblings, parents and grandparents. Bloomberg highlighted data from the study showing that while consumers in the 35-to-44-age demographic were the most likely to be purchasing new cars four years ago, today it’s the 55-to-65-age Baby Boomers buying new cars with the most frequency. In 2011, boomers were 15 times more likely to purchase new vehicles than young millennials (ages 18 to 24)

fakeedit: Also alot of new cars are kinda lovely.

e2: Not trying to be a dick. It's just that news articles that bitch about ~kids these days~ kind of don't sit well with me. I'm 25, and I've yet to meet any of these stereotypical ~millennials~ that I hear so much about on the news.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 25, 2015

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Traffic is worse, gas is expensive, the climate is getting hosed and people want to live in more urban areas. In short, cars suck. But we all know that which is why we ride motorcycles.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yup. I'm a poor but I also don't want to spend 2.5 hours a day sitting in a car staring at another car's bumper. Even if the performance and other rewarding aspects of riding a bike didn't appeal to me, I'd probably still have a scooter for the above reasons.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

clutchpuck posted:

Sorry sometimes I forget you guys don't appreciate humor.

e: or you're all easily-offended millenials (yes I realize this is redundant).

You just gotta troll the hell out em man, whip em into shape.

The strong ones last and become...okay. The weak are weeded out.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Marxalot posted:

they value smartphones and laptops over cars

There is nothing precious or high minded about this, given that these things have to be high end or nothing at all and the combined cost is the equivalent of a decent used car. New, if you count recurring costs. The not wanting a car thing is slacker mythology--another case of circumstances dictating philosophy rather than the other way around. The tech gear is more efficient at broadcasting vanity and locating fun, but in the end you need both unless you'll be in some Richard Scarry walkable utopia from cradle to grave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
I'm willing to bet a big part of the car ownership disparity is simply that an awful lot of Gen Z or whatever you want to call them are still living with their parents. This isn't a drat ETERNAL CHILDREN thing, it's that's just how hosed the post-07 economy is (and I suppose might contribute to that eternal children thing).