Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
So I autocrossed a lightly preped CSP Miata this weekend on Vmax classics, 15x10s and 225 RS3s (1.6 car with a 4.30 torsen, no PS or AC) and it was loving fun.

Anything wrong with the vmax or anything better in the price range? I know xidas are the default answer but they also cost as much as vmax, a rear sway, a set of 15x10s and rs3s. My car is a 95m btw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What rear sway?

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
I don't remember what he had. I have the biggest tubular RB makes on the front of my stock class Miata. It was an awful choice. But I figure that bar with a MSM rear bar and coil overs could work well.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
MSM is $100, but you don't need it for autocross. You'll need to hook up a RSB if you go to the track, though.

Dial Ins are $115 shipped a pop vs the $209 + shipping for the 15x10 6ULs (you don't need x10s on an NA car). That saves ~$250 which will inch you closer to Xidas. :P

Buying someone's Bilstein setup is always a good value, too.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005

Phone posted:

MSM is $100, but you don't need it for autocross. You'll need to hook up a RSB if you go to the track, though.

Dial Ins are $115 shipped a pop vs the $209 + shipping for the 15x10 6ULs (you don't need x10s on an NA car). That saves ~$250 which will inch you closer to Xidas. :P

Buying someone's Bilstein setup is always a good value, too.

Yeah I meant 15x9. I've always been up in the air between Konis and valved bilsteins. I guess ill keep my eyes peeled.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Sadi posted:

I don't remember what he had. I have the biggest tubular RB makes on the front of my stock class Miata. It was an awful choice. But I figure that bar with a MSM rear bar and coil overs could work well.
Are you kidding? That's the best choice you could make. MSM bar is too big for most autocross setups but is fine with the tubular front and a decently sprung setup for hte track.

Vmaxx suck, go the bilstein route. Also you don't need 10 wide for 225s, unless you're running 275 hoosiers with the rest of the CSP folks, get the 9s for 225. Hell, get the 8s, I doubt anyone here is a good enough driver to make that cost time on a course.

http://clubroadster.net/vb_forum/22-suspension/198881-budget-bilstein-ballers.html

destructo fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 20, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Because people who leave their cars stock are really cool and respected in the automotive field. 

Ha - enjoy getting dunked on anytime you meet a non-stock NC. And I'm still waiting to see real-world youtube videos of stock vs stock in a 0-60, quartermile, track race, etc.

Hell, I think the ND Cup developer even mentioned it being slower. And FM mentioned it being less sturdy.

But don't let that slow your roll. 

As for sales numbers, I guess we'll see how the ND holds up soon ;)

PS - I testdrove a loaded GT last week. This weekend, I saw it back at the dealership with a used-sticker on it. 40 miles on the clock and $2k lower in price. Asked the dealer what happened. He said someone bought it, and returned it the next morning. Seems that's more of a botched dunk if you ask me.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Sounds like someone paid $2,000 to have the best night of homesexual sex in thier life.

Chriskory
Aug 18, 2004

Back when I was actively driving I drove Akina even in my dreams

Elephanthead posted:

night of homesexual sex in thier life.

Is a homesexual someone who won't gently caress outside the house?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

I hate the Internet sometimes...

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Never change mnet, never change.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Must be fun to be a bitter NC owner lol

Also since when has "dunked on" been an automotive term?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
I don't even understand why they are bickering. This isn't a numbers car. And even if it was, the numbers are too close together to matter.

On one side you have NC owners with an inferiority complex and on the other you have ND guys justifying the money they spent/want to spend.

They are both fun cars, Jesus. They are much more similar than they are different.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=586480

let the butthurt flow through you

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Stop reading that terrible forum, you fucks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

Must be fun to be a bitter NC owner lol

Also since when has "dunked on" been an automotive term?

Dunked On should be used as much as possible.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Who here is broski lol

Nice troll (dunk)

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

So the other driver did in fact lie in their statement and told their insurance that I was speeding through the parking lot. of course I was completely stopped when they hit me. Interestingly they didn't tell the lie I was expecting which would have been more damaging to me, which was that I was speeding and they weren't reversing at all. Instead they are saying that they did see me and continued reversing anyways. stupid.

So I was like, ok I'll just take this to subrogation, but then their insurance agent says my photos are very convincing and that she is going to pull the police report and if it doesn't say I was speeding, rule that they are at fault. I'll have to wait to wait a week for that report to arrive. Of course I already know the report doesn't say anything about speeding, since the officer didn't see the collision, so those people basically lied to their insurance for nothing. I hope their rates at least go up for this bullshit.

The fender is definitely very bent inward, the plastic bumper is crumpled. they hit me more at an angle from the side than I thought so I couldn't see at first how my wheel flare bent in. looked these up quickly, and they seem to be about $900 together, unpainted so it's already more than the 1k I was thinking before

tl:dr bonus pics

That there sir... well that seems to be something that prevents 'speeding'

Wow, so they tried to commit insurance fraud too.... :rolleyes: It's a little curious that their insurance is thinking of ruling against their own client. They could just be saying that, though. :shrug:

As far as accusing you of "speeding through the parking lot" is concerned, I actually have a little story along those lines. Over a decade ago, a [college douchebag] dude was gunning his fox-body Mustang up and down the aisles of the parking lot. It was really obvious too, the car was loud and I saw him when he got to the end of the perpendicular aisle where I was. Well, he does this a few more times and "CRUNCH!" He runs into a chick who was just backing out of her spot. I didn't see the collision, but heard them yelling at each other afterward. Aside from that, I've never seen anyone stupid enough to do it ever before or since.

Also, my Dad had an experience like yours; he was in the STO before he sold it to me, and was stopped in the aisle of a parking lot waiting for someone to back out. Well before that happens, someone else backs right into him, and actually keeps going until she realizes he's holding down the horn (and he upgraded the horn in his Miatas; I have the stock one in my MSM :3:). It was some tiny chick, barely 5' tall, who was in a goddamn Excursion, one of the largest loving SUVs she could find. Didn't even see the Miata. The damage was repaired, and I have some photos, but of course they're not handy. I'll try to remember to post them when I get a chance later.

ethanol posted:

I just ordered one. seeing as how i am moving to a place with even worse traffic.

edit: on second thought this one looks like poo poo.. can you recommend one?

This is what I have in my Miata right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SGXUUTO

It was only $120 when I got it, though it only came with a 32 GB card. Seems high on features and reliability. Should work in all temperatures due to having a capacitor instead of a galvanic cell (although this means it needs to be hooked up to external power at all times.) Nice FoV, good image quality, etc. I posted some video from it earlier in the thread (I think around April) when I asked you guys about that weird noise, if you want to go back and check my posts for a sample.

Rhyno posted:

Dunked On should be used as much as possible.

Also, I'm fond of "get rekt".

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

"The NC will be the 996 of miatas"

I didn't know the miata had catastrophic IMS failure issues :v:

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

BloodBag posted:

"The NC will be the 996 of miatas"

I didn't know the miata had catastrophic IMS failure issues :v:

It's also funny because the IMS failure thing is so overblown anyway. It's easy to prevent so you can pick up a very cheap 996, prevent the failure, and have a pretty amazing car (with some dodgy looking headlights).

Don't mind me, I'm just going to look at craigslist now...

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

GutBomb posted:

It's also funny because the IMS failure thing is so overblown anyway. It's easy to prevent so you can pick up a very cheap 996, prevent the failure, and have a pretty amazing car (with some dodgy looking headlights).

Don't mind me, I'm just going to look at craigslist now...

The problem with the 996 is the interior is Toyota not the $15,000 ready to die engines. I already have the IMS failure mazda version 1990 short nose and it is awesome. Since 1.6 motors are readily available on craigslist for 50 bucks I really don't worry about it. The advantage of the rust belt the car rusts away and leaves the drivetrain.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Atomizer posted:

Wow, so they tried to commit insurance fraud too.... :rolleyes: It's a little curious that their insurance is thinking of ruling against their own client. They could just be saying that, though. :shrug:

In vermont the the law is clear about reversing. You cant reverse if you interfere with traffic moving forward. Meaning the in motion reversing driver is always at fault even if the car behind drives into them. The insurance agent can't easily tell if I was moving or stopped (i was stopped) BUT it won't matter without a speeding ticket because I had the right of way anyways. They probably didn't know this when they lied, and probably didn't want to risk getting caught spinning deeper lies about their direction of travel. But them admitting to reversing is basically the whole if it

ethanol fucked around with this message at 14:50 on Aug 21, 2015

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Was the first refresh of the NB significant? I ask because I know the first refresh of both the NA and the NC were significant, enough that on the NC front I ruled out NC1's from the start of my search.

An established pattern of significant improvements in the first refresh might be a legitimate argument for holding off on an ND right now. But mnetters aren't big on rational arguments, so I doubt they'll make that one.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
NB1 is 99-00 has the BP4W motor which has a really good flowing head; was highly sought after.
NB2 is 01-05 has the BP6D/Z3 motor which has the VVT head; was initially dismissed as being garbage. There were external changes and an optional brake package.

03-05 had optional equipment (like the Sport brakes) become standard. There's also some diff fuckery since they switched away from Torsen units to Tochigi-Fuji Super LSD auburn style.

Other notable things is that the VVT motor was used in conjunction with the VTCS intake manifold for emissions purposes. The current hierarchy of desirable NB parts include a VVT motor over a BP4W, and the VICS intake manifold that came with the BP4W motor. People with NB1s will buy the exhaust manifold off of the NB2s since it's a shorty header and they fetch a high price ($250-300 for an OEM header).

Stock for stock, the NB1s had no real reason to upgrade to an NB2. With the NC is fairly similar because the engine didn't change enough to warrant a new car, just cosmetics and features changing.

Phone fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Aug 21, 2015

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Well for nc2 they unfucked the 6sp gearing and the interior, so those are two improvements I can say I see a definite tangible difference on, and for me were worth eliminating 06-08 from my search.

The forged engine internals and other improvements I won't claim actually make the car any better on a day to day basis under normal use.

The ND1 doesn't seem to have any stand-out problems like the NC1 though, so maybe the refresh won't be as big of a deal.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Phone posted:

03-05 had optional equipment (like the Sport brakes) become standard. There's also some diff fuckery since they switched away from Torsen units to Tochigi-Fuji Super LSD auburn style.

Are those any good, or does everybody end up swapping in Torsens eventually?

Also curious as to why Mazda stopped using VICS on NB2's, does it make a noticeable difference swapping one on?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

GEMorris posted:

Well for nc2 they unfucked the 6sp gearing and the interior, so those are two improvements I can say I see a definite tangible difference on, and for me were worth eliminating 06-08 from my search.

The forged engine internals and other improvements I won't claim actually make the car any better on a day to day basis under normal use.

The ND1 doesn't seem to have any stand-out problems like the NC1 though, so maybe the refresh won't be as big of a deal.

How was the gearing in the NC1 hosed? And what were the standout issues? The most I can think of are mis-adjusted clutch and fail-open thermostats on early models.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
From 06-08 the 6 speed and the 5 speed had the same ratio for their top gears. All the 6 got you was more rowing, it had no highway cruising advantage (which mattered to me)

The thermostat was the other main issue, but I was primarily speaking about the interior affordances like non-protruding door cupholders, padded center console, and aux jack.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The gearbox never changed. I saw that the 09+ got 500 more rpm until fuel cut, but you still need to grab 3rd for a 0-60 run. All of the rear ends (including autos, I think) are all 4.1.

I know for a fact that the NB 6-speed has a shorter final gear than the 5-speed (the 5 speed is taller/less revs in final gear if they have the same diff ratio).

Phone fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Aug 22, 2015

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

quote:

For 2009, the MX-5 Miata's 6-speed delivers quicker, lighter, more direct shift feel thanks to a new carbon coating on the 1st through 4th gear synchros and larger diameter syncrhos on 3rd and 4th gear.  6th gear is also slightly taller (0.787:1 vs. 0.832:1) for improved fuel economy and more relaxed highway cruising.

The NC1 has a weak shifter fork design apparently. Differences listed here:

http://www.miata.net/faq/america/2009.html

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Never mind, it seems everything I've ever read on mnet is wrong and I'm only now realizing it....

Edit: thanks Bulk, I thought I had read it somewhere other than mnet.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Aug 22, 2015

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I was basing it off of the (otherwise excellent) Flyin Miata calculator. On MazdaUSA, the 2015 PRHT has 6th as .79 vs the .832 on FM. You're right on that one, but it was just swapping out the 6th gear cog.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
QUIT TALKIN poo poo ABOUT MY CAR YO.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Just replaced the rocks and dust that were serving as motor mounts with the Mazda Competition mounts.

They are pretty freakin' sweet honestly.

I guess these were mounts at one point in time.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Aug 22, 2015

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Rhyno posted:

QUIT TALKIN poo poo ABOUT MY CAR YO.

You own the worst Miata made. Accept it, move on, yadda yadda.

But hey, it's still a Miata so there's that.

[edit] j/k NCs are cool yo

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Aug 22, 2015

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

leica posted:

You own the worst Miata made. Accept it, move on, yadda yadda.

But hey, it's still a Miata so there's that.

[edit] j/k NCs are cool yo

Not anymore. I have a subaru impreza now :whatup:

MY HEADGASKETS :negative: :qq:

blk
Dec 19, 2009
https://www.facebook.com/groups/miatamilfs/

There's a joke here but it's too early for me to make it.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

2000 Miata started making this sound this morning - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxxfhStbWUc - that's bad right? 155,xxx miles or so.

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE
Take the belts off and try it again, I'd imagine one of the alternator/water pump/power steering/AC compressor bearings ate it. If not that, possibly one of the idlers for the timing belt.

Does it make the same noise while in gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I finally swapped out the steel/urethane mounts that the previous owner installed on my car and replaced them with the stock mounts.

The good: its like a whole different car when it comes to vibrations, cabin noise, etc. I had to take the resonators out of my Goodwin exhaust because the car now felt too quiet. The amount of vibration and extra noise those things transmitted was massive, even after 5k miles.

The bad: the throttle response, especially in 1st, is noticeably worse. I haven't auto-xed the car yet, so I don't know if the engine lean under heavy acceleration will affect me much there, but the reduced throttle response is not to my liking. I've hear the engine braces do most of what the harder engine mounts do, but without nearly as much increased noise, so I think I may go that route.