Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Let's all just buy Toughbooks and call it a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Butt Savage posted:

Let's all just buy Toughbooks and call it a day.

New thread title right there.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

What's the consensus on the new trackpads with the fake click?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It honestly feels exactly like a clicky pad. It's crazy.

Not used force touch much though.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

My mid-2011 27" imac is beachballing a lot, this started yesterday. Its a quadcore i5 3.1GHZ, with 16GB ram. Activity monitor and disk check don't show any obvious issues. A reboot didn't really fix the problem, but this morning the imac doesn't seem to be having the kinda freezing it was last night, although just now it beachballed for a bit.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

How are your thermal sensors when it beachballs? My 2011 iMac collected quite a bit of dust / cat dander even in a "clean" environment; luckily my endless tinkering with its guts gave me an annual opportunity to clean it out. Mine would beach ball in hot afternoons under workloads. If yours has never been cleaned, maybe it's super-caked with fuzz and affecting your performance by keeping it toasty? You can still hit the vents with canned air to spin the brushless fan blares.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Any messages in the console?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kuskus posted:

How are your thermal sensors when it beachballs? My 2011 iMac collected quite a bit of dust / cat dander even in a "clean" environment; luckily my endless tinkering with its guts gave me an annual opportunity to clean it out. Mine would beach ball in hot afternoons under workloads. If yours has never been cleaned, maybe it's super-caked with fuzz and affecting your performance by keeping it toasty? You can still hit the vents with canned air to spin the brushless fan blares.

This would be a good thing to check, thank you for the recommendation. I bought this imac second hand and I get the impression that the original owner allowed it to get quite dusty and dirty. My office gets pretty warm in the afternoon (I live in Phoenix, AZ, it was 111 degrees yesterday) even with air conditioning.

ApproachingInfinity
Sep 14, 2008

Mu Zeta posted:

It really does feel like a click, pretty neat. Very sensitive though, compared to the ones you actually press down; when I first got one (rMBP 13), I didn't think I was going to like it because it was so much easier to press down enough to get a click out of it. After a day or two I had completely forgotten what the actual ones felt like to click, and now I can't stand how hard you have to press those :shobon:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

ApproachingInfinity posted:

It really does feel like a click, pretty neat. Very sensitive though, compared to the ones you actually press down; when I first got one (rMBP 13), I didn't think I was going to like it because it was so much easier to press down enough to get a click out of it. After a day or two I had completely forgotten what the actual ones felt like to click, and now I can't stand how hard you have to press those :shobon:

I think it's because the older click pads are hinged, so the force to click them in the middle of the pad is a lot more than along the bottom edge.

I have tapping / tap to drag turned on anyway, very rarely actually click the pad.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

ApproachingInfinity posted:

You can change the pressure needed to activate the first click under trackpad settings; I think medium is more in line with what the old style trackpad felt like. But yea, light setting rules. I don't even use tap to click anymore.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I think i've narrowed my issue with my imac down to a problem with its connection to my router. It's really just slow on browsers and loading websites. No other computer in my house is having this problem. It's connecting wirelessly, i'm not able to use a wired connection with it, but there's been no problems up until last night.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

This is a possible really dumb question but I was just assigned an out of town project for the next couple of months and I'll be at an extended stay hotel for a few weeks at a time with short breaks back home. Short of using the box it came in, is there a good/reliable option for carrying/moving an iMac (27") around every few weeks?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

This is a possible really dumb question but I was just assigned an out of town project for the next couple of months and I'll be at an extended stay hotel for a few weeks at a time with short breaks back home. Short of using the box it came in, is there a good/reliable option for carrying/moving an iMac (27") around every few weeks?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=iMac+carrying+case

binarysmurf
Aug 18, 2012

I smurf, therefore I am.
Does anyone have any thoughts on when there will be an update to the new Mac Pro? Revision 1 is getting a little long in the tooth. Are Apple waiting for updated Skylake Xeons? Better GPUs? Both?

Personally, a tricked out 5K iMac will be more than I need, but it would be a shame to leave the Mac Pro to wither on the vine after all the general fanfare.

Having said that, the older generation MP went many years without an update so....

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Cyrano4747 posted:

You can also just install windows on an external and boot from that.

I've always wanted to do this with my 128gb Macbook.

Is it possible to boot Windows off an external USB Solid State Drive? If so, how's the performance?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

binarysmurf posted:

Does anyone have any thoughts on when there will be an update to the new Mac Pro? Revision 1 is getting a little long in the tooth. Are Apple waiting for updated Skylake Xeons? Better GPUs? Both?

Personally, a tricked out 5K iMac will be more than I need, but it would be a shame to leave the Mac Pro to wither on the vine after all the general fanfare.

Having said that, the older generation MP went many years without an update so....

Broadwell was kind of a clusterfuck which is why they've been kind of stagnant for years across all their product lines (performance gains between Sandy Bridge and Haswell weren't super dramatic), I'd say Skylake is going to be a huge leap due mostly to Thunderbolt 3.0 and 40gbps bandwidth.

That being said, if you are not working with 4k+ raw you don't need a Mac Pro. And the existing midrange Mac Pro (8 cores, dual D700) is good enough to edit Red 6k at half res.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

I've always wanted to do this with my 128gb Macbook.

Is it possible to boot Windows off an external USB Solid State Drive? If so, how's the performance?

Would this work for you? http://www.cultofmac.com/311348/visiontek-usb-pocket-ssd-review/

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

This is perfect. I remember trying to do this back in 2011 when I bought my laptop but I couldn't find any guides on how to boot off a USB. Thanks!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rabid Snake posted:

This is perfect. I remember trying to do this back in 2011 when I bought my laptop but I couldn't find any guides on how to boot off a USB. Thanks!

I would do this myself except my iMac is only USB 2.0 :kiddo:

Speaking of, my iMac is still having issues. :gonk: Created a new user account to see if it would still beach ball over there, and it's still doing it. This is just normal everyday stuff, internet browsing, opening system preference, looking at activity monitor. I tried looking at the logs but that was just an endless beach ball as well. So right now I am reformatting and reinstalling Yosemite to see what happens. I'm afraid it might be the hard drive though and I have no idea how to fix that. It's a 1TB Fusion Drive.

kuskus
Oct 20, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I would do this myself except my iMac is only USB 2.0 :kiddo:

Speaking of, my iMac is still having issues. :gonk: Created a new user account to see if it would still beach ball over there, and it's still doing it. This is just normal everyday stuff, internet browsing, opening system preference, looking at activity monitor. I tried looking at the logs but that was just an endless beach ball as well. So right now I am reformatting and reinstalling Yosemite to see what happens. I'm afraid it might be the hard drive though and I have no idea how to fix that. It's a 1TB Fusion Drive.

Boot into recovery and go to Safari, that sort of "limbo" mode where you can browse the web in a temp session. See if you have issues there. If you do, it's either hardware or your network setup, IMHO.

Binarysmurf, I predict Spring '16 for a new Mac Pro with new ports & multi-UHD display capable etc.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The price is a lil high considering the guy only got 38/18Mbps read/write out of it via USB 3.0. For around $60 you can get a 128GB microSD card which has "up to 80Mbps read speed (write slower)" but I have no idea how that'd fare as an external dual boot solution.

Arrowsmith
Feb 6, 2006

SAGANISTA!
I think I'm going to get myself a maxed out new Macbook, but I have a couple questions with which I am hoping you all can assist me.

The most intensive thing I do is probably watching a lot of Netflix and Amazon Prime Instant Video. I've heard the Macbook is fine with Netflix, but will the Silverlight that Amazon still uses choke it out?

Also, I heard there is supposed to be a custom 1.3 GHz option for the processor, but the option just isn't there on the Apple Store website. Is it discontinued or unavailable for some reason? Nevermind, I'm dumb.

Thanks!

Arrowsmith fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Aug 22, 2015

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Edit: just noticed I could PM you so I'll remove the shameless plug

hatty fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Aug 22, 2015

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

kuskus posted:

Boot into recovery and go to Safari, that sort of "limbo" mode where you can browse the web in a temp session. See if you have issues there. If you do, it's either hardware or your network setup, IMHO.

Binarysmurf, I predict Spring '16 for a new Mac Pro with new ports & multi-UHD display capable etc.

I made a mistake last night and did not reformat my hard drive after all. Just reinstalled Mac OS X over itself and that actually fixed my issues??? I wish I knew what happened to begin with though but at least I didn't lose anything and my Mac is back to working perfectly again.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

Buddy needs a new laptop this weekend - can't wait. He wants a Macbook Air, but is concerned about buying one with only 4GB of RAM, and that is the only thing available in stores, it seems. How valid is that worry for basic web browsing/word processing/excel type stuff?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

4gb is just barely adequate for the OS these days. No loving way I would buy a Mac new with only that much.

Edit also a lot of browsers can be surprising ram hogs esp if you go anywhere more complicated than these forums.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I have one of the brand new Macbook Airs with 4GB ram and the SSD on it makes up for the lack of memory. A lot of the issues come from just loading things. The Macbook Air never beachballs on web browsing and using Google Drive for word processing and excel. Obviously you won't be able to go nuts still with running lots of apps at once. The Macbook Pro I have is just a normal platter disk drive with 4GB of ram, and it gives me the beach ball sometimes and on uncommon occasions to the point where I would call it annoying.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Mu Zeta posted:

I hate them and don't like how it feels at all. It's a neat trick, but, IMO feels nowhere near a real click. And the force touch features in OSX are essentially useless.

Marco Arment agrees with me so I'm pretty sure this is The Right Opinion.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Cozmosis posted:

I hate them and don't like how it feels at all. It's a neat trick, but, IMO feels nowhere near a real click. And the force touch features in OSX are essentially useless.

People don't use tap to click?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Using it to click no matter where you tap on the touchpad is pretty amazing. I've become so used to it that I try force touching most touch pads and it takes me a minute to figure out why it won't do as I tell it. Also to finger press will right click.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Bob Morales posted:

I do, but when I want to click, it's not satisfying.

empty baggie
Oct 22, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Ugh. I don't see how people can stand that poo poo.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Cozmosis posted:

He made it so that Pocket/Read it Later doesn't work on his personal site. That's incredibly petty.

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

That's a shame - he can get the 13" base model Air at Best Buy for $749 right now, which seems to be a pretty good deal. Anyone else able to chime in on the RAM concenrs?

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

4 go is awful don't do it. I guess unless you want to buy a new laptop in 1-2 years.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IuniusBrutus posted:

That's a shame - he can get the 13" base model Air at Best Buy for $749 right now, which seems to be a pretty good deal. Anyone else able to chime in on the RAM concenrs?

I thought 4GB was too little back in 2011 but that laptop also had a platter drive.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

4 gb of ram will suck, don't do it

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte
I own a 2015 rMBP with the force touch trackpad.

After 2 days you totally forget that it's not a 'real' click. The haptics are incredible.

That being said, I only use Tap to Click, so it's a total nonstarter for me anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jfff
Oct 27, 2003
indeed
I'm looking to purchase a monitor to use with my 13" rMBP. Only going to use it for word and excel files and the occasional game. Saw this Dell U2415 in the Monitor/Display thread and I'm curious if it would work well with the laptop. Should I find something else that has a similar native resolution as my laptop?