Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Nintendo Kid posted:

Eh, it could be valid for a USB 3.0 drive.
Bandwidth aside, it's still an awful idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Ticket didn't come in...

Our ticket system and Exchange servers are down. Excellent. It's 16:00 on a Friday and the beer cart is rolling around the office. Dealing with this outage just fine imo.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

As promised, presented without further commentary or speculation.

QuiteEasilyDone fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Aug 21, 2015

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
...I.... don't.... want to believe it?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

It may be funny but it really shouldn't be that hard to believe. Think back to all the stupid poo poo you thought was true about computers before you learned better.

That first screenshot does show the CPU at 100% usage.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

nexxai posted:

Wait, why the gently caress are VMs being stored on a USB drive?

No idea at all, I wasn't the one who set it up and I know that external belongs to our MSP who use it for emergency backup (besides the offsite), I checked over where the Virtual Hard Disk was saved and it definitely was on the C: drive.

Plugging in the drive and seeing it fire up caused far too many questions to answer an hour over quitting time, it's going to be an interesting Monday :psyduck:

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

High CPU usage and the idle process reporting incorrectly can indicate a root kit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

The Fool posted:

High CPU usage and the idle process reporting incorrectly can indicate a root kit.

That's my thinking too. More benignly, something they may not have permission to see, like an AV hook?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

Maybe I am wrong but won't it show that way until you hit the all users button?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

the littlest prince posted:

It may be funny but it really shouldn't be that hard to believe. Think back to all the stupid poo poo you thought was true about computers before you learned better.

That first screenshot does show the CPU at 100% usage.

When MS added the system idle process, and I saw it for the first time, I thought it was some malware trying to hide itself as something innocuous.

QuiteEasilyDone
Jul 2, 2010

Won't you play with me?

RFC2324 posted:

When MS added the system idle process, and I saw it for the first time, I thought it was some malware trying to hide itself as something innocuous.

On that particular server when opening event viewer, the CPU will reach 100% flag down to 40% go back to 100 for a brief moment and then level out at or around 20% average. Notice that he just started the tracking for the statistics.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Nintendo Kid posted:

Your response is the perfect explanation of "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Yes, technically, we can run a VM on a USB 1.0 zip drive - that doesn't make it any less of a completely loving stupid idea.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

nexxai posted:

Your response is the perfect explanation of "just because you can doesn't mean you should".

Yes, technically, we can run a VM on a USB 1.0 zip drive - that doesn't make it any less of a completely loving stupid idea.

Could be worse, could be a parallel port ZIP drive.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

QuiteEasilyDone posted:

On that particular server when opening event viewer, the CPU will reach 100% flag down to 40% go back to 100 for a brief moment and then level out at or around 20% average. Notice that he just started the tracking for the statistics.

Also looks to be a single core server so just launching task manager could be asking a lot.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Sickening posted:

Maybe I am wrong but won't it show that way until you hit the all users button?

The system idle process wouldn't be at 99%, you just wouldn't be able to see the process that was using the CPU in the list, and the idle process would show 30% or whatever.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Nintendo Kid posted:

Could be worse, could be a parallel port ZIP drive.

Now I'm wondering what the minimum size for a VM is. I found an OVA for a linux distro that's about 11MB.

If you can get it under 1.44 MB...

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Now I'm wondering what the minimum size for a VM is. I found an OVA for a linux distro that's about 11MB.

If you can get it under 1.44 MB...

Older versions of QNX can run off a 720 KB floppy disk, newer ones require a 1.44 MB floppy disk.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

SAN over acoustic coupler. :getin:

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Nintendo Kid posted:

Yeah, I keep my Windows 10 and various Linux VMs on a Samsung T1. Thing is super fast. Not as fast as the mPCIe SSD, but blows away any kind of platter drive.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 22, 2015

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

nexxai posted:

Wait, why the gently caress are VMs being stored on a USB drive?

Eh... I mean I've run FreeNAS from a usb 3.0 drive that was pretty much the entire company's datastore.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

SAN over acoustic coupler. :getin:
Using FCoPPP?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Aunt Beth posted:

Using FCoPPP?

Fibre Channel over PPP? Is this a thing?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
At my old job, we brought on a client that had horrendous msp support before us. Their backup situation was a nightmare so we brought in a new backup core and drive and got everything set up.

We sent one of our guys to pick up the USB drive with backups so we could seed it off in the cloud. He grabs the wrong USB drive from the server, shows up at the office, we plug it in to see what's on it and find...

Their entire exchange database.

It was the biggest "what the everliving gently caress" moment of my career.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

RFC2324 posted:

FCoPPPoE

We must go deeper.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Collateral Damage posted:

FCoPPPoE

We must go deeper.

Oh God. The latency. I just. I can't.

I support apps that get cranky when avgsvc gets even slightly above baseline. That just hurts.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

AlexDeGruven posted:

Oh God. The latency. I just. I can't.

I support apps that get cranky when avgsvc gets even slightly above baseline. That just hurts.

Be sure to use an Ethernet to serial converter to bridge it over to the next building.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

RFC2324 posted:

Dear lord I hope not, but I kind of want to make it one.

flosofl posted:

Be sure to use an Ethernet to serial converter to bridge it over to the next building.
I have a customer with some ancient machines that have SNA (I think it's SNA) converted to 10baseT converted to fiber to do exactly this.

Aunt Beth fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 22, 2015

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We have 15 year old fiber between buildings. Boss man thought that meant it's 1 gig, nope only 100mbit.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

flosofl posted:

Would that be better than the point to point wireless using arduino shields I was going to use?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Going back a bit, but cheap ticketing software... Isn't BMC's (used to be Numara's) TrackIt! pretty inexpensive?

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Their entire exchange database.

:stonklol:

The inevitable happened, saw an SMS on my phone saying poo poo's hosed for the weekend staff (luckily only two people have my number for super emergencies) and nobody has access to the server room. So I finish my morning tea & biscuits and drive over to the office and find one VM is online but there other still doesn't have connectivity, I check the cabling and everything is wired up fine... except I notice one of the server Ethernet port LED's isn't doing anything.

Light bulb! swap out the cable and by gum we've done it, connectivity restored. What lovely luck, doesn't explain the drive though.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.
From a few pages back:

Try the bath bong. Tricky to keep the bong water cold while sitting in a warm bath, and sometime the flint gets wet but, yeah.

Just sit back and relax, bro.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Agrikk posted:

From a few pages back:

Try the bath bong. Tricky to keep the bong water cold while sitting in a warm bath, and sometime the flint gets wet but, yeah.

Small cooler with some ice in it next to bath. Just drop a few cubes in every now and again.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
I used to manage a server that had a drive attached to over USB. And the server's BIOS could not be configured to not attempt to boot from USB over internal disk.
So every time you had to patch that server you needed to drive out to the customer and disconnect the drive during the reboot or it'd get stuck. So we were able to charge the guy like a hundred bux every time one of our interns did the 15 minute drive :D

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

I cant seem to find the picture. Someone post the classic "Server Backups" that's the two lovely thumb drives.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Agrikk posted:

From a few pages back:

You ever seen the movie Narc?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!

BaseballPCHiker posted:

I cant seem to find the picture. Someone post the classic "Server Backups" that's the two lovely thumb drives.

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Thats the one! Thanks. While looking on my computer for that one I did come across this classic:

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Collateral Damage posted:

FCoPPPoE

We must go deeper.

This is the new "Printout of a web page scanned in to a PDF and insert in to a word document then attached to an email" and it's beautiful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

At least put a box over it or something, Christ.

• Locked thread