Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Franchescanado posted:

Well, Anthony Hopkins also regrets being in The Elephant Man, so the dude's weird about what roles he takes in my opinion.

wtf? I couldn't find this interview. Did he say why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Wiggles Von Huggins posted:

wtf? I couldn't find this interview. Did he say why?

i think he viewed it as overly sentimental.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
From the behind the scenes footage I've seen, Oldman seemed to have a rough time doing Coppola's Dracula, and maybe that caused him to hesitate on something like Harry Potter.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
The role wasn't challenging enough for him and instead found it very mundane and boring. It may also have something to do with the character's moral compass: him being a "good" guy in the movie, but still taking advantage of The Elephant Man like other characters, but for good reasons. It's a very subtle character, and I think he wanted something more explosive. Like Hannibal Lecter.

Edit: I forget if I read it in interviews about making The Elephant Man, but it's probably on imdb and wikipedia as well. I don't know much about Hopkins, but I get the feeling working with David Lynch would piss him off too. He's pretty well known for giving acting prompts like "More air. More clouds. Less raindrops." and Hopkins doesn't seem like he has the patience. That's just my speculation, of course.

Franchescanado fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Aug 19, 2015

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Stupid double post.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

Franchescanado posted:

Well, Anthony Hopkins also regrets being in The Elephant Man, so the dude's weird about what roles he takes in my opinion.

Gary Oldman also hates pretty much anything he's ever been in.

He also said this in the same interview where he defended Mel Gibson's racist tirades, so I guess he's got issues all over.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Jack Nicholson is the similar about any movie he's in. Not that he hates the movies themselves, but he can't stand to see his own acting, so he refuses to watch them, or the dailies, or anything.

wafflesnsegways
Jan 12, 2008
And that's why I was forced to surgically attach your hands to your face.
I've heard that Samuel L Jackson doesn't even read the scripts he's offered. He just looks at the offers that line up with his schedule and takes the one that pays the best.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

wafflesnsegways posted:

I've heard that Samuel L Jackson doesn't even read the scripts he's offered. He just looks at the offers that line up with his schedule and takes the one that pays the best.

With I'm sure a few exceptions here and there, like Star Wars, an MCU film or a Tarantino film. I think he actively campaigned for the Star Wars role.

I guess playing Nick Fury is his primary gig right now, so anything else has to fit into that schedule.

Cocoa Ninja
Mar 3, 2007

wafflesnsegways posted:

I'm super curious how he plays on stage -- isn't he in some Broadway stuff?

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I have this theory that there really isn't a whole lot of difference between the script for a good movie and the script for a bad movie. But, there is a pretty large difference between the script for a movie that isn't going to get made versus one that is already green lit. I imagine a lot of actors care far more about if the movie is likely to get made or not than almost any other concern, especially the relative quality of the script which is likely to change even up to the point that the movie is released

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

So finally got around to it and watched Lord of War. I regret not watching it sooner. It's a really nice film overall. Nothing staggeringly great but no real weak points to it either. I thought it was a pretty solid flick.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm home sick and my sleep schedule is s all messed up due to fever and what not. I need something to watch. I think I'd like a non-maudlin historical film. Amazon or Netflix. Thank you for the recommendation.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm home sick and my sleep schedule is s all messed up due to fever and what not. I need something to watch. I think I'd like a non-maudlin historical film. Amazon or Netflix. Thank you for the recommendation.

Chinatown is on netflix right now.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Lord of War is loving fantastic, holy poo poo.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Lord of War is loving fantastic, holy poo poo.

glad people are watching that movie, kinda landed with a thud when it first came out

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

glad people are watching that movie, kinda landed with a thud when it first came out

I was wondering why I didnt hear more positive about it after watching it last night for the 1st time and I vaguely remember the trailers / commercials for it making it come across as more of a glitzy glamorous Nic Cage country hopping and unrepentantly being a sleazy arms dealer. Basically that's what the movie was but the ads didn't really pick up on any of the nuances of the film that made it interesting.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It kinda reminds me of Catch Me if You Can in some obvious ways.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

That Works posted:

I was wondering why I didnt hear more positive about it after watching it last night for the 1st time and I vaguely remember the trailers / commercials for it making it come across as more of a glitzy glamorous Nic Cage country hopping and unrepentantly being a sleazy arms dealer. Basically that's what the movie was but the ads didn't really pick up on any of the nuances of the film that made it interesting.
Yeah, when it came out, I recall the marketing giving me the impression that it was a forgettable crappy action flick. I'm sure a movie condemning the arms industry would be a hard sell for American audiences as well, especially in 2005.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

kuddles posted:

Yeah, when it came out, I recall the marketing giving me the impression that it was a forgettable crappy action flick. I'm sure a movie condemning the arms industry would be a hard sell for American audiences as well, especially in 2005.

part of the reason it got kinda dumped is no major studio was willing to finance it. it is a blunt, angry message picture (also a movie that came out in 2005 and has jokes about shooting down commercial aircraft)

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

part of the reason it got kinda dumped is no major studio was willing to finance it. it is a blunt, angry message picture (also a movie that came out in 2005 and has jokes about shooting down commercial aircraft)

And doesn't even portray the arms dealers as the "real bad guys".

"Even before that night, I did a lot of cocaine in West Africa. But I never killed a man."

Also, add it to the list of "Jared Leto's good films".

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Lord Of War came out theatrically while I was still evacuated for Hurricane Katrina, so it wasn't on my radar at all until a couple months later when I got back in town and rented it from the only Blockbuster in the area that was open. It owned. I remember leaving the DVD menu on for a while after I watched it the first time because I was mystified by how cool it looked.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Lord Of War came out theatrically while I was still evacuated for Hurricane Katrina, so it wasn't on my radar at all until a couple months later when I got back in town and rented it from the only Blockbuster in the area that was open. It owned. I remember leaving the DVD menu on for a while after I watched it the first time because I was mystified by how cool it looked.

Oh poo poo you know that's exactly why I didn't pick up much on it either. Was still pretty shell-shocked and going back and forth helping family. Never realized it till you mentioned it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

precision posted:

Also, add it to the list of "Jared Leto's good films".

yeah, it's not a super dynamic performance but his answer when Nicholas Cage asks him why he's so hosed up all the time is probably my favorite moment of his acting career.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
Leto and Cage do great jobs in that but honestly my favorite performance is Hawke's. He's just so well-cast as a tough, goodhearted guy who's trying really hard to act like he has more influence in this situation than he really does.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's probably Hawke's best performance, but I say that as someone who doesn't like the Before Sunrise trilogy (though, paradoxically, I love everything else Linklater has ever done, though Boyhood was a bit of a letdown).

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

precision posted:

It's probably Hawke's best performance, but I say that as someone who doesn't like the Before Sunrise trilogy (though, paradoxically, I love everything else Linklater has ever done, though Boyhood was a bit of a letdown).

It was good but I like him better in training day even though Denzel was killing every scene.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

That Works posted:

Chinatown is on netflix right now.

A good old movie. Thanks.

Were new episodes of Foyle's War ever made, or anything like that? I really like that show. The Ian Fleming miniseries was really good, too.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

precision posted:

I haven't seen Before Midnight yet, but Before Sunset is easily one of my favorite movies of all time. Before Sunrise is also up there.

His performance in Lord of War is great, but my favorite in that movie is probably the guy who played Andre Baptiste. I rewatched it yesterday and it had probably been 8 or 9 years since I'd seen it the first time. I got a lot more out of it now that I've read a decent amount of Cold War histories. It's probably the quintessential "war economy" movie.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
Girlhood is stupendous and my new favorite movie from 2014.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

stickyfngrdboy posted:

The worst soccer related film is Hooligans at War: north vs south, and I mean by a very long way, so if I were you I'd stay away. It makes Green Street look brilliant.

I hated the original green Street so never bothered with any sequels but if they're worse than the original they must be terrible.
I keep thinking Danny Dyer is in the Green Street movies somewhere because I love seeing that guy on film, but he was in some worse movie that I couldn't sit through because the graphic violence in the first 5 minutes really tipped over the line for my personal Body Horror limits, when they beat some guy's head in with a brick within what felt like seconds of the movie beginning.

SubG posted:

Nah, the two films highlight a bunch of broad currents in American popular film. There's obvious poo poo like the parallel between De Niro's transformation between Ragin Bull (1980) and The King of Comedy (1982) and Gyllenhaal's between Nightcrawler (2014) and Southpaw (2015), but it's so obvious because the sort of body-horror-as-character-acting schtick that was exceptional when De Niro did it is now just an accepted part of acting in prestige dramas. But there's also all of the shifts from Scorsese's New York Film school/New Hollywood sensibilities and contemporary mainstream prestige drama sensibilities. There's the shift of the cultural centre of mass from New York to LA. There's the shift from the narrative of transformation entailing the principle changing the facts of the situation to changing the rules of the situation---Scorsese's archetypal protagonist is a working class joe facing the Nabokovian dilemma of choosing between safe mediocrity and achievement through transgression, and they effect this choice by direct, consequential action---Rupert Pupkin by kidnapping, Jake La Motta by fighting (and throwing fights), Travis Bickle by killing, Henry Hill by adopting a life of crime, and so on. But now it's all indirection. Louis Bloom starts out not in a Scorsesian working class life, he starts out a grifter. His transformation is not through fighting or kidnapping or anything like that, but by observation and manipulation. He's not Rupert Pupkin because we don't care about stories about Rupert Pupkins anymore. We identify with stories of Walter Whites, of Jigsaw from the Saw films, of loving Nolan's Joker. So between the two films there's all of that movement. And there's the fact that Nightcrawler is a disaster procedural---not a disaster film (which is concerned about the people the bad poo poo is happening to) but a film about how the people around the disaster handle it. And the one of the first, if not the first such film in American cinema is Porter's The Life of an American Fireman (1903), which was one of the structural inspirations for The King of Comedy. And there's the contrast between the way the endings read---both Taxi Driver (1976) and The King of Comedy have narrative transformations at the end that have puzzled audiences for years---how could the transgression mean success? This is something that many audiences felt positively cheated by, but it reads absolutely naturally in Nightcrawler. It's like all of the over-the-top parody in Network (1976) reading like documentary today.

I mean I could go on, but it's precisely the superficial similarities, which are all you comment on, that makes them such great loving bookends for the differences in mainstream American film between the two periods. That's great poo poo.
The most interesting thing i gained from the progression of his character wasn't so much that he was a grifter, as that he was unemployable and just living in the margins, in a life of quiet desperation until he found a lodestone he could reach. I probably repeated what you already said though, sorry, it's late and I am tired.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:43 on Aug 21, 2015

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k
I just watched "I Dream of Wire" on Netflix. It's a documentary on the history of modular synthesizers and in some ways, electronic music in general. Building modular synths is what made me want to become an EE in the first place, so I thought it was highly enjoyable and would recommend it to others who are interested in music or engineering!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

coyo7e posted:

The most interesting thing i gained from the progression of his character wasn't so much that he was a grifter, as that he was unemployable and just living in the margins, in a life of quiet desperation until he found a lodestone he could reach. I probably repeated what you already said though, sorry, it's late and I am tired.
Yeah, he's unemployable but given what the film tells us it's more because he's a grifter than the other way around. Literally every time we see him engaging in human interactions he's trying to play the other guy to shave a couple points for himself. That's pretty much the textbook definition of a grifter. The film eases us into it by depicting Bloom's needs in a way that leads us perhaps to excuse more of his behaviour early on then later, but his behaviour is consistent throughout the narrative. Put in slightly different terms, most audiences will find Bloom less and less sympathetic as the film progresses, but that's just because his opportunities are changing, not because his morals are.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

K. Waste posted:

Girlhood is stupendous and my new favorite movie from 2014.
It's final shot is perfect.

Also, that impromptu music video was absolutely the best scene in the film, but there were a multitude other great scenes to go along with it.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I watched Lord of War last night. It was p good. Not amazing but p good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
In a World... is pretty fun, but goddamn does the little reveal at end not really add anything but really not work because Carol totally was the best voice and at least the best for that trailer. It would have been better if we hadn't heard the other voice overs or the woman told her that it was irrelevant if she was or wasn't the best voice.

Also nice to see that Rob Corddry can actually make good film choices.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

The year that came out was rough for Rob Corddry, as he was also in a bad relationship in The Way Way Back. Independent cinema was very rough on the hearts of men played by Rob Corddry that year.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
For some reason I saw the Lord of War trailer when it first came out, then saw Iron Man, and somehow equated the first ten minutes of Iron Man with "oh yeah, I totally saw that movie, the arms dealer is Tony Stark and he becomes Iron Man". Weird, but seeing it pop up on Netflix made me realize it was a totally different movie. Anyway, I liked it.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I tend to go through jags where I'll watch a movie on Netflix a few times in a short period, and De Palma's Mission: Impossible is really good for that. I love those movies where the editing and camerawork are so good they just work your lizard brain over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Lord of War is pretty fun. Recommend it.

SubG posted:

Yeah, he's unemployable but given what the film tells us it's more because he's a grifter than the other way around. Literally every time we see him engaging in human interactions he's trying to play the other guy to shave a couple points for himself. That's pretty much the textbook definition of a grifter. The film eases us into it by depicting Bloom's needs in a way that leads us perhaps to excuse more of his behaviour early on then later, but his behaviour is consistent throughout the narrative. Put in slightly different terms, most audiences will find Bloom less and less sympathetic as the film progresses, but that's just because his opportunities are changing, not because his morals are.
I don't feel that he's a grifter, because he's not ripping people off and lying as much as just gaining skills and utilising them as his personal morals allow and his personal goals/needs direct. He's a thief, a sociopath, probably a killer.. But I can't recall him committing fraud or otherwise creating falsehoods throughout the movie - and I watched it twice. I'm sure he lies about some poo poo but he's actually performing a job and doing it far better than the other competition, for the desires of his customers. I'd say he's not as much a grifter as a product of society.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Aug 23, 2015