Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Shadow Hog posted:

A lot of old DOS side-scrollers did tend to have the camera zoomed way too far in for how fast the gameplay was (at a blistering 16FPS!). I recall Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure, a game near and dear to my heart almost entirely because it was one of my earliest games ever, had that problem something fierce, with enemies blindsiding you all the time because everyone's sprite was gargantuan. Jazz Jackrabbit also had that problem, perhaps even worse because Jazz is touted as running really drat fast (and he does run really drat fast if you let him), but the screen size is just too small to accommodate that, so you end up running straight into enemies you hadn't quite killed more often than not. Still fun games, mind, but... yeah, flawed.

This just got me thinking how different a game like Sonic might play if your view was zoomed out further (I guess at a higher resolution) so that the original view range was only like a quarter of the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas
The side scrolling levels in Sonic Generations does this in places. It feels wrong somehow. It makes Sonic feel slower and more floaty.

The remakes of Sonic 1 and 2 on Android and iPhone extend the screen horizontally to accommodate the wide aspect ratio. That doesn't make so much difference, as your thumbs tend to cover the extra screen space.

EvilGenius fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Aug 21, 2015

ShinAli
May 2, 2003

The Kid better watch his step.

Segmentation Fault posted:

... and it annoys the poo poo out of me when products like Strafe pretend this by making a game that looks nothing like a 90s shooter.

You mean in aesthetics/graphics or gameplay?

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Both.

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -

Dominic White posted:

If you want something incomprehensibly massive to check out in Quake, try Telefragged in the Rubicon Rumble Pack.

Also (not quite as massive!) https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/something_wicked.html .

It's a little daunting to press Tab and see that there are 30 secrets...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I really need to get my Quake on, holy poo poo.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

KozmoNaut posted:

Honestly, I don't care what they call the game, what the plot is or anything.

I just want to hear more of John St. John's Duke voice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9sdH5uA600

I knew what this was before clicking on it and I'm sad the site's no longer up.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Klaus88 posted:

:unsmith:

Also the duke already had a time traveling game on the N64.

The duke is an okay guy.

What is this from?

People have touched on it, but the actual comic's name is Duke Nukem: Glorious Bastard.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

catlord posted:

People have touched on it, but the actual comic's name is Duke Nukem: Glorious Bastard.
Fun stuff, also it came out around DNF, so I don't think it was related to Duke Nukem trilogy. DNF also came with another cool little comic, Balls of Steel edition anyway.

Plus Duke had another time travel game on Playstation, just for the record. Zero Hour had better gameplay, Time to Kill has better one liners.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxGsZdE19wc
One of the map jam 6 maps being played under Qbism super8.

(warning: I am a mediocre at best Quake player)

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Aug 21, 2015

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

This just got me thinking how different a game like Sonic might play if your view was zoomed out further (I guess at a higher resolution) so that the original view range was only like a quarter of the screen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBlUcoA7UTo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zJ8XZEDIisU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk4NnQEkAH8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nc-6m2lA8Ag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSjRP429K8s

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Hah this is basically what I imagined it would look like. Just doesn't have the same "magic" huh?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Hah this is basically what I imagined it would look like. Just doesn't have the same "magic" huh?

Well part of that is that this method involves superimposing stuff on the level maps, so it doesn't also have, say, the enemies and other moving objects continuing to work while you're farther than the original screen window away.

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner

KozmoNaut posted:

So basically Duke Nukem II, then?

I have no idea how I beat that game as a kid, it's pretty close to unplayable.

DN2 nicks a huge amount from Amiga platformers of the time (mostly Turrican), which is interesting as they must have sold about 5 Amigas in the States. And hello, look who wrote this

Not that Turrican has the high ground when it comes to thieving things, mind.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Prenton posted:

DN2 nicks a huge amount from Amiga platformers of the time (mostly Turrican), which is interesting as they must have sold about 5 Amigas in the States. And hello, look who wrote this

Not that Turrican has the high ground when it comes to thieving things, mind.

Yeah I remember seeing a website that compared assets from Duke Nukum and other platformers like Turrican. A lot of the stuff was just straight ripped off, if I remember correctly.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They should do the next Duke game as a retread of Zero Hour. But, you know, not a compromised console shooter.

laserghost
Feb 12, 2014

trust me, I'm a cat.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Yeah I remember seeing a website that compared assets from Duke Nukum and other platformers like Turrican. A lot of the stuff was just straight ripped off, if I remember correctly.

http://www.nemmelheim.de/turrican/news/duke/

I'm honestly surprised they decided to rip off a quite popular 16-bit game (Turrican is one of the most remembered Amiga titles), which iirc had some console presence in the US.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005
All of the Quake 1 love I've been seeing lately has made me so happy. :unsmith: That game has been really underapprciated for a very long time. I'm hoping this encourages some Doom mappers to dabble with Quake 1 mapping because you can do a lot of cool stuff with it.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

closeted republican posted:

All of the Quake 1 love I've been seeing lately has made me so happy. :unsmith: That game has been really underapprciated for a very long time. I'm hoping this encourages some Doom mappers to dabble with Quake 1 mapping because you can do a lot of cool stuff with it.
Gotta love Quake. I'd put it in the top ten single-player FPS games ever. I was a Quake 2 DM guy myself, but Quake's single-player is eighty million times better.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
https://twitter.com/88alice/status/635099261474963456

keys :3:

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS

Klaus88 posted:

Also the duke already had a time traveling game on the N64.

Three time traveling games to be precise.

One on N64, two on PS1. Time to Kill is probably the best of the bunch and closest to the Tomb Raider formula.

I'd love to see a Duke game similar to Die Hard Trilogy. We've had 3rd person, first person and driving in Duke, so just mix em all up and call that Duke Hard Trilogy.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

It turns out Super8 has a Honey palette that makes Honey-themed maps look infinitely better:

r_palette palette

r_palette honey

QuakeSpasm

Woolie Wool fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Aug 22, 2015

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Hey, cool.

I also really like the look of the video you posted earlier... but I haven't got to that map yet myself, so I didn't want to watch too much of it. :)

Captain Cancer
Sep 18, 2005

Teach em' young
Are there any single player doom (preferably doom 1) wads that take the existing maps and alter / expand them with new areas / challenges that anyone can recommend?

H2Omelon
Aug 31, 2009

Captain Cancer posted:

Are there any single player doom (preferably doom 1) wads that take the existing maps and alter / expand them with new areas / challenges that anyone can recommend?
As the idgames archive doesn't allow modified versions of official maps they can be hard to find if there are any, but there's always the controversial Knee Deep in ZDoom.

If you like stupid bullshit then I once made an edit to E4M8 that's more difficult, filled with Doom 2 enemies, and progresses through the level backwards. It's dumb. (Note that it runs in Doom 2 rather than Doom 1).

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

How do you get through Telefragged from Rubicon Rumble Pack? I godmoded around in it for a while but was completely unable to find a way to get back to normal or progress.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Captain Cancer posted:

This might be something you're looking for.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Captain Cancer posted:

I've been having some fun with Maps of Chaos formally known as Brutalized Doom.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/brutal-doom/addons/brutalized-doom-and-doom-ii

Ignore the Brutal Doom silliness. The author states that they can be played vanilla with or without mods. Just need to use a limit removing port. Can be played in Doom or Doom 2. It adjusts itself to whichever iwad you select. It was meant for co-op play but you can do it single player but you may need to turn down your difficulty. UV throws tons of monsters at you. I play it with Demonsteele for that reason :)

Edit: Beaten but consider it a second recommendation for it. The one I linked is the just the Moddb page for that mapset.

Szymanski
Jul 31, 2005

You down with OCP?
Sugartime Jones
Decade by Russell Pearson http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/d-f/decade.zip has some areas you'll recognise

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Woolie Wool posted:

How do you get through Telefragged from Rubicon Rumble Pack? I godmoded around in it for a while but was completely unable to find a way to get back to normal or progress.

There's only one way forward for the first few minutes. You'll end up in a medical bay before long and you'll get your limbs back. Then it's time to go pick up all those guns you saw.

The only tricky part is the boxed robot testing track. Just stay behind the walls and dodge out to press buttons.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Does anyone have tips for clearing Ultimate Doom E4M1 with 100% kills on UV? I've been trying to conserve ammo by using infighting but the level is so cramped and the only goddamn health pickups on the entire map are 5 health bonuses.

EDIT: My mistake, there's actually 9 health bonuses. Still though.

arcsig fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Aug 23, 2015

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Get the barons to bunch up by the red key grate and spam rockets at them like in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yn63AZ93Wps

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

arcsig posted:

Does anyone have tips for clearing Ultimate Doom E4M1 with 100% kills on UV? I've been trying to conserve ammo by using infighting but the level is so cramped and the only goddamn health pickups on the entire map are 5 health bonuses.

There's a reason there's a rocket launcher.

Grimthwacker
Aug 7, 2014

I just finished my first ever playthrough of Hexen - I'd say it was a mixed bag. I liked the idea of the hubs and puzzles, but goodness did the switch hunting get tiring, especially when they were hidden away in obscure places. It also needed more than four weapons for each class; it got a little old using the same two ranged attacks most of the time.

Screw the Necropolis though. What a bad idea for a hub, with constantly respawning flying enemies that shoot stuff at you, and a terribly designed layout.

I got the Duke 3D Megaton Edition when it was on sale for two bucks on Steam for the expansions that I never got to play (I've only owned the Saturn and XBLA versions). So far I finished Duke It Out in D.C. and Duke Caribbean, and both were pretty good, except for the parts where I was stuck wandering around because I missed some small detail like a cracked wall or keycard. Nuclear Winter is really tough so far (I'm three maps in).

I also picked up Blood on GOG a week or so ago. . . I'm not liking it so far. I don't know if it's because the weapons seem weak, or because of the lack of health and ammo I've experienced, but something seems off about it. I'll give it a fair shot, but right now I'm wishing it was on Steam so I could get a refund.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Can anyone with a 32-bit OS install QME 3 and zip up the installed version? This has a 16-bit Installshield installer that won't run under 64-bit Windows but the application itself is 32-bit (confirmed with the "lite" version).

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Grimthwacker posted:

I just finished my first ever playthrough of Hexen - I'd say it was a mixed bag. I liked the idea of the hubs and puzzles, but goodness did the switch hunting get tiring, especially when they were hidden away in obscure places. It also needed more than four weapons for each class; it got a little old using the same two ranged attacks most of the time.

Screw the Necropolis though. What a bad idea for a hub, with constantly respawning flying enemies that shoot stuff at you, and a terribly designed layout.

Nothing seemed so bad for me after Seven Portals. More weapons would have been nice, though.

arcsig
May 29, 2015

Cat Mattress posted:

There's a reason there's a rocket launcher.
I'm aware of the rocket launcher, but I'm still having trouble. There's only enough rockets on the map to take out 2 of the 5 barons on UV, and the rest just totally drain away your shells and bullets. I've tried getting the barons to infight but it's tough because they teleport into the awkward room near the start.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

arcsig posted:

There's only enough rockets on the map to take out 2 of the 5 barons on UV

The rocket launcher does splash damage, herd them into one place and each rocket will do more damage spread across the group.

Nokiaman
Mar 2, 2013

Woolie Wool posted:

Can anyone with a 32-bit OS install QME 3 and zip up the installed version? This has a 16-bit Installshield installer that won't run under 64-bit Windows but the application itself is 32-bit (confirmed with the "lite" version).

Just copy this into installation folder and it'll install on x64 OS :)
Tested it myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pathos
Sep 8, 2000

What's the best Quake map-making program these days? I'm feeling the itch after seeing some of these screenshots.