Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hobospider
Oct 17, 2002

by.a.teammate posted:

That's good to hear it looks a solid build, It's such a big saving its hard not to go for it, it seems the only thing you can't get is a snuffer but I assume you can just close the top vent and get the same effect? If no one has anything bad to say about the build quality, etc i think i'll go for this.

By 'snuffer' I assume you mean the rain cap for the BGE. I never use it- in fact I use an aftermarket chimney on top of the grill.

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/eggware/eggwarecap.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Gonna smoke a butt this weekend. Is hickory the preferred wood? Right now I have hickory, mesquite, apple, pear and red oak.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
I like cherry, apple, and pecan as well as hickory. The nice thing about smoking is that all the woods are good, and it's always delicious. There really is no "correct" wood to use, just use what you like the best in the end product. That said, sometimes mesquite and hickory are too strong for pork ribs, but shoulders are so big that it's really not going to become that much of an issue.

McSpankWich fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Aug 21, 2015

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Right, I think I have pecan as well. Maybe I'll go with a mix.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.
I personally prefer fruit woods for pork. I'm one of those guys who thinks hickory/mesquitte are too strong for most things.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Crazyeyes posted:

I personally prefer fruit woods for pork. I'm one of those guys who thinks hickory/mesquitte are too strong for most things.
Agree on mesquite. Mesquite is amazing for rib roast, but I almost never use it for any other purpose. I typically smoke on lump, though, so most of my smoke flavor usually ends up coming from there anyway.

I disagree that hickory is too strong, but I'm also told that the terroir (climate, soil) in which a wood is grown can affect the smoke flavor as much or more than the actual variety of wood. So, beyond accounting for personal differences in taste, YMMV.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Crazyeyes posted:

i agree too, apple and cherry are my go to's

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I've never found any use for mesquite, really. If I do beef, I do red oak and cherry. Pork, I do apple and cherry. Poultry, I use pecan or apple. I think the wood in my mesquite bag is starting to rot.

I'm fixing to do a bunch of Chinook Salmon this weekend. Will post pics.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Just realized I am out of apple chunks... I have a bag of chips but am wary that they will go the distance on a ~14 hour smoke of a butt. I guess I could run out to Home Depot and get a bag of chunks but Id rather not. Yall think chips will be enough?

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

You just have to toss them in a few times

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

And keep in mind that you only really get smoke flavor the first two hours or so. Add early, and if you glaze towards the end, toss a few more on the fire at that point because the glaze will absorb some smoke too.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

It's an electric smoker so adding new chips is not easily, nor physically painless. I'm sure it will be fine, though. The smoke is secondary to the rub.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Thine beef is complete.

and it was cooked absolutely spot on. Bends completely but doesn't break. Brisket perfection.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

Never had those peppers before so I'll defer to your expertise on that.

As much as I could talk for days about chili, this is the smoking thread, daggumit!

Nice butt for tomorrow. Mustard coated followed by Butt Rub spice mix and a little brown sugar. Gon' be goooooood.

Do you smoke it with the skin on? How well does that work? Having grown up in the USA I'm used to smoking skinless pork shoulders, but here in Oz the butchers always leave the skin on. I've been trimming it off when I smoke, but that's a pain in the rear end.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Digital_Jesus posted:

Thine beef is complete.

and it was cooked absolutely spot on. Bends completely but doesn't break. Brisket perfection.

Very nice, good job.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

All hail the brisket overlords

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Trig Discipline posted:

Do you smoke it with the skin on? How well does that work? Having grown up in the USA I'm used to smoking skinless pork shoulders, but here in Oz the butchers always leave the skin on. I've been trimming it off when I smoke, but that's a pain in the rear end.

I'm actually in the states and got it skin on. I smoked with it on. You can cut it off after and make some cracklin with it.... I think.

Either way once it is cooked it will peel right off the meat so won't be an issue. Might just slow the cooking a little but will contain a lot of the moisture.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

I've cut it off and left it on. I was always upset with how much less rub you get onto the butt when you leave the skin on, because it just sits up there and doesn't penetrate the skin. I started scouring it so there were openings for the rub to drip through, but you're still left with about 1/4-1/3 of your butt with no bark, and that's a prized commodity as it is!

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Crazyeyes posted:

Either way once it is cooked it will peel right off the meat so won't be an issue.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking I might try at some point. My main worry is:

McSpankWich posted:

I was always upset with how much less rub you get onto the butt when you leave the skin on, because it just sits up there and doesn't penetrate the skin.

I guess there's nothing for it but to give it a shot and see if I like the results.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls

Digital_Jesus posted:

Thine beef is complete.

That is awesome. What temp did you pull it at??

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

Results are in. Delicious.

For the skin: Peel it off after cooking. Lay on cookie sheet and bake at 350 for about 20 minutes. It'll get nice and crispy and the extra fat will melt off and fry what's left. My dad can't stop eating it.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

THE MACHO MAN posted:

That is awesome. What temp did you pull it at??

Both briskets were between 197-199 in various spots. 21 day cryovac wet aged @ 38 degrees, beef bouillon injection, dried & rubbed open air in the fridge night before cooking.

E: Sounds like a lot of effort but brisket is the one thing I routinely do poorly @ comp with so I think I finally got it right.

Jamsta
Dec 16, 2006

Oh you want some too? Fuck you!

Beeb is carrying a front page story on BBQ, unfortunately....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-33994947

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
If I'm gonna try my hand at smoking ribs for the first time, what do you recommend I go with? St. Louis, or back ribs?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

If I'm gonna try my hand at smoking ribs for the first time, what do you recommend I go with? St. Louis, or back ribs?
Neither is easier or harder to smoke than the other, really, though baby back will be done a little (60-90m?) faster. Keep your temperatures steady and smoke whichever you prefer to eat.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I prefer the taste of baby backs personally. I apply mustard, rub and then spray the ribs with a 50/50 mixture of apple juice and cider vinegar, every 30 minutes after the first hour.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I find back ribs easier. There's less trimming to be done too although I'm not sure if that's a regional thing. The side ribs here are not trimmed well at all.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

That's funny, I find the opposite. I find St. Louis to be much more forgiving than baby backs. There's a much smaller window for that perfect doneness in baby backs in my experience, the first few times I always over or under cooked them. Even after doing St. Louis really well a few times.

Also you can cut up the trimmings and dump them in your beans that you're also smoking at the same time as your ribs. Or make "pulled pork" out of them, or carnitas. That bonus meat is super great.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Okay next question: Should I get a rack to hold them or roll and skewer them like that one dude?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are

Okay next question: Should I get a rack to hold them or roll and skewer them like that one dude?

I did the rib pinwheel this weekend to fit 6 full St. Louis racks into my 30" Masterbuilt. They turned out great, I was skeptical but I'd totally do that again to fit tons of ribs in there.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tivac posted:

I did the rib pinwheel this weekend to fit 6 full St. Louis racks into my 30" Masterbuilt. They turned out great, I was skeptical but I'd totally do that again to fit tons of ribs in there.

Does the pinwheel stay loose enough so that it's still getting smoke all over?

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Does the pinwheel stay loose enough so that it's still getting smoke all over?

Yeah, wish I had pictures. I made sure when wheeling them up to keep them from touching, and they stayed on the skewers pretty well. I used some bamboo ones I had lying around.

Instructions said flip them over halfway through, so I did that as well.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Honestly, while I find the idea of rolling them up intriguing, I'd miss the ability to texas crutch them. At least I'd assume that would be a problem.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Honestly, while I find the idea of rolling them up intriguing, I'd miss the ability to texas crutch them. At least I'd assume that would be a problem.
I'm intrigued. I've done it without shame on shoulder, brisket, and other thick cuts, but why do you use the crutch on a 5-hour cook?

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Speaking of using a crutch, I've foiled my pork butt but I was wondering if I should just put it in the over at this point. Never had one take this long! At 175 internal and I started at 6:15am. It is 6:10pm (1810 for you that like that), I have people expecting food in an hour and I'm hoping time in the over would fix this? Or is the fact that I've already foiled it going to be about all I can do to speed this along?

Temp was 210-235 and mostly near that 235 end. I've upped it to 300 now. Should I go higher on the smoker or what? Save me from myself goons!

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

El Jebus posted:

Speaking of using a crutch, I've foiled my pork butt but I was wondering if I should just put it in the over at this point. Never had one take this long! At 175 internal and I started at 6:15am. It is 6:10pm (1810 for you that like that), I have people expecting food in an hour and I'm hoping time in the over would fix this? Or is the fact that I've already foiled it going to be about all I can do to speed this along?

Temp was 210-235 and mostly near that 235 end. I've upped it to 300 now. Should I go higher on the smoker or what? Save me from myself goons!
The stall is normal somewhere between 160-170, and it can sit there for most of your cook. Are you using the cheapo dial thermometer included on the lids of most smokers, or are you using a good digital thermometer? After 12 hours, unless you've got a super-thick cut, I'd expect you to be out of the stall and somewhere around 180 by now with the cook temperatures you're mentioning. I think the air temperature around the meat is not what you think it is. If that hunch is right, bringing it up is a good idea.

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Foiled and up to 300 in the kettle, the pork finished at 202 at about 7:20. I have two digits thermometers but I think it is new battery time. It was delicious. Abyss from Deschutes Brewery 2007-2014 was also delicious. I should have taken pictures. It wasn't that thick but I guess it was just a particularly whatever piece that required more time than usual.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Remove the membrane on the ribs, yes?

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
absolutely. paper towel works well to grab it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

absolutely. paper towel works well to grab it

Yeah, butter knife to get under it then a paper towel to pull it off. Works great.