Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want a Japanese Maro 2 pallete with the weird ugly ground sprites.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Honestly expecting to see other NES game themes as DLC. Zelda (mix of 1 and 2), Kirby's Adventure, Metroid, Kid Icarus, etc

They'll just be reskins of the default SMB1 set or something but look like other classic games. so you'll have moblins over koopas or whatever

It just seems like a very Nintendo thing to do, crossover cosmetics rather than new functionality

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.

Macaluso posted:

The Mario All Stars versions look worse, especially Mario Bros 3 :colbert:
Thank you.

I'm glad to have original Mario3 graphics; they have always been my favorite look for the Mario games.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

SeANMcBAY posted:

I want a Japanese Maro 2 pallete with the weird ugly ground sprites.

I'm actually shocked its not already in the game. They'll probably put out DLC with that palette along with poison mushrooms and gusts of wind.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Doki Doki Don't Matter

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
Doki Mario 2 always was cool-looking/sounding, but I never aged it for more than ten minutes out a time. Always felt like I was missing context for what I had to be doing.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013
I hope we can get some DLC updates eventually for extra tiles.

I think we might eventually get a "Youtube Replay" feature that let's you upload your playing of a level to Youtube.

Here's my concern. Nintendo tends to have a "if we update it, it invalidates stuff we've done so far" attitude.

For example, in Smash Bros Wii U, when they update the game, it makes your older replay files not work anymore.

I'd be afraid that if they added DLC via update for Super Mario Maker, it might make all the existing levels you've made (and online files) not work anymore.

Of course, a decent programmer could make it work, but you would have had to have planned for DLC expansion in the first place.

What I want:
*More Powerups from games (Frog Suit, Tanooki Suit, Hammer Bros Suit)
*A ?-Block that gives Mario the appropriate item based upon his size.
*Fuzzy
*Fireballs that come up out of lava pits.
*Those pulley elevator things from Super Mario Bros (the two platforms attached by a pulley)
*Different colored Yoshi that have the appropriate power from Super Mario World.
*Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) stuff.
*Super Mario All-Star Style Sprites (for fun)
*Other playable characters without the need to get a Mystery Mushroom first. (Let a level start as Luigi or Princess with their proper physics)
*Ability to make a level with no time limit.
*Youtube Replay Functionality.

There, that stuff would make the game fully complete. I put in bold the stuff I'd want the most.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Motto posted:

SMB1/Lost Levels All Stars looks ugly, SMB3 All Stars looks good

I think it looks good too, but all the other games got new sprites and stuff, and that's the only one where they just painted over the old ones by adding colours and shaders. If you're used to the original it can look weird, and it definitely gives it a different feel.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Spectacle Rock posted:

Here's my concern. Nintendo tends to have a "if we update it, it invalidates stuff we've done so far" attitude.

For example, in Smash Bros Wii U, when they update the game, it makes your older replay files not work anymore.
Are there even any other examples? They had a bunch of games with patches and DLC recently, and I think they've been pretty good with this, unlike many other companies. Maybe there's just no workaround with that particular feature?
Also, there are jumping lava balls in this game, as far as I remember.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Smash replays are basically just running off button inputs, so if you change the way the moves work the playback is not going to be accurate. There's no way around this.

Either way, they already explained why there are no youtube upload features and it's because the producer wants people to "experience the game by playing, not by watching".

TechnoSyndrome
Apr 10, 2009

STARE

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

Smash replays are basically just running off button inputs, so if you change the way the moves work the playback is not going to be accurate. There's no way around this.

I mean, they could store the way the moves used to be balanced and switch to those "sets" for the replays, but I dunno how much space that would take up. It really bums me out every time I update and realize I never captured 99% of my replays from the last patch though.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Either way, they already explained why there are no youtube upload features and it's because the producer wants people to "experience the game by playing, not by watching".
That's a loving dumb position to take when Youtube videos can serve as a great way to advertise levels that people will then go and actually play. They should at least set up some sort of way to queue levels up from a website to play later.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

J-Spot posted:

That's a loving dumb position to take when Youtube videos can serve as a great way to advertise levels that people will then go and actually play. They should at least set up some sort of way to queue levels up from a website to play later.

Even if they did I'm sure they'd gently caress it up somehow like they did with smash (3 minute limit, locked at 30 fps and 720p), so really you're just better off shelling out for a capture card

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

J-Spot posted:

It's a specific type of dumb answer that they tend to give when they don't want to admit there are practical reasons for not doing something, like "it's too much work" or "it can't fit into the schedule".

They clearly understand the value of videos and streams at this point - a few games have Youtube uploads built in now, they've been putting all their games in the hands of streamers and youtube people and doing press tours that are totally isolated from the traditional games media, and they even bought a reasonably large stake in the company that owns Nico Nico Douga, Japan's youtube equivalent.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

That's one of the most profoundly loving dumb things I've ever heard, lol.

Hey guys, let's not make trailers for this movie, people should experience it for themselves. Boy I sure hope they're made aware of it somehow.

Also hey let's make a video game about infinite content creation but not let people make it as prolific and ubiquitous in the gaming community as possible, for free... and at no risk of spoiling anything because there's no story to spoil.

edit: ^^^ yeah, that makes a lot more sense. Still though, you'd think a video upload feature in a game like this would be a huge priority considering how valuable it would be for the life of the game.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Spectacle Rock posted:

I hope we can get some DLC updates eventually for extra tiles.

I think we might eventually get a "Youtube Replay" feature that let's you upload your playing of a level to Youtube.

I'd be afraid that if they added DLC via update for Super Mario Maker, it might make all the existing levels you've made (and online files) not work anymore.

Of course, a decent programmer could make it work, but you would have had to have planned for DLC expansion in the first place.

What I want:
*Fuzzy
*Those pulley elevator things from Super Mario Bros (the two platforms attached by a pulley)
*Different colored Yoshi that have the appropriate power from Super Mario World.
*Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) stuff.
*Super Mario All-Star Style Sprites (for fun)
*Other playable characters without the need to get a Mystery Mushroom first. (Let a level start as Luigi or Princess with their proper physics)
*Youtube Replay Functionality.

There, that stuff would make the game fully complete. I put in bold the stuff I'd want the most.

My list is just:
features sufficient to make each and every level in the games they are basing this off, along with precise physics from those games(not sure if the latter is in or not)

BowieFett
Oct 21, 2008

I just want a Super Mario Land 2 tile set, with the bunny ears power up and that Dracula guy who throws bats at you in one level.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Game preloaded, took the 11th of September off, gonna get that fuckin' Amiibo in the morning, I am prepared for Mario. :mario: :yoshi:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

along with precise physics from those games(not sure if the latter is in or not)

This is not the case according to gamexplain. All the styles share the same physics.

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I want Nintendo to make Sonic Maker as that's another platforming series that gets a lot of fan hacks.

Specifically Nintendo. I don't want SEGA to gently caress it up

GI_Clutch
Aug 22, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Dinosaur Gum
In Sonic Maker, the emphasis is not on creating levels, but creating new animal friends.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Just ordered my book for my digital preorder. They asked if I wanted the .pdf :jerkbag: They couldn't tell me if the book would ship a few days before release of the day of but I am still pumped for this dumb little book. Gonna look at those graph paper sketches super hard.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Is the book thingie part of the normal physical preorder or is there some special edition I'm not seeing?

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Is the book thingie part of the normal physical preorder or is there some special edition I'm not seeing?

It should be part of the normal order. It's the reason it comes in a little box rather than just a CD case.

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Spectacle Rock posted:

What I want:
*Fuzzy

I'm shocked many of these aren't in the game actually, as they seem like obvious features. They focused so much on random bullshit new abilities like shell hats that they left out some of the fundamentals, especially polishing elements that pertain to specific releases (like the multicolored Yoshi). Extremely disappointing. It'll still be a great game, but sometimes I wonder if Nintendo execs and game designers on both sides of the ocean are actually retarded - they always miss basic functionality.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

The book just comes with the game, the only "special edition" I believe is the version that comes with the amiibo

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Macaluso posted:

The book just comes with the game, the only "special edition" I believe is the version that comes with the amiibo

And it seems like America isn't getting that for whatever reason.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

Little Mac posted:

And it seems like America isn't getting that for whatever reason.

Because they are just getting a bunch of the amiibos that come out on the same day anyway.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

BabyRyoga posted:

I'm shocked many of these aren't in the game actually, as they seem like obvious features. They focused so much on random bullshit new abilities like shell hats that they left out some of the fundamentals, especially polishing elements that pertain to specific releases (like the multicolored Yoshi). Extremely disappointing. It'll still be a great game, but sometimes I wonder if Nintendo execs and game designers on both sides of the ocean are actually retarded - they always miss basic functionality.

I think they focused on those things for this reason: the more combinations you can support, the more you can "surprise" the level designers and players. Cool features to the individual games required a subtle approach to make fun. A level designer's eye. Being able to combine 2 random things and make a new thing? That's out of the box fun.

So... yeah, a frog suit would be a cool DLC. But it would fit more nicely with the game's core idea if you could make frog goombas and frog koopas.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Wait, no podaboos? The hell?

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
This game is doing the same thing all other "make stuff" games do: It looks cool until I start wondering "Hey can I do this?" and the answer is usually no.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Yeah, I was thinking about getting this, but the restrictions make me reconsider. I just hope there is an easy way to access specific levels, if people can easily access that cool level they saw on YouTube or Twitch then this may take off, but if they have to enter a long code or jump through several hoops then I doubt a community will develop.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
You can filter by user, so locating levels shouldn't be hard.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Overbite posted:

This game is doing the same thing all other "make stuff" games do: It looks cool until I start wondering "Hey can I do this?" and the answer is usually no.

Your loss

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Narcissus1916 posted:

Wait, no podaboos? The hell?

They're in.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Sonic Dreams Collection has you covered.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Giantbomb got Mario Maker:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hoQF9zWVsZk

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

ikanreed posted:

I think they focused on those things for this reason: the more combinations you can support, the more you can "surprise" the level designers and players. Cool features to the individual games required a subtle approach to make fun. A level designer's eye. Being able to combine 2 random things and make a new thing? That's out of the box fun.

So... yeah, a frog suit would be a cool DLC. But it would fit more nicely with the game's core idea if you could make frog goombas and frog koopas.

I just feel like a game called "Mario Maker" should 100% be able to make an exact 1 for 1 copy of any Mario game level that has already existed, otherwise the game fails on some fundamental level. I would think it screams oversight more than anything, but there's no way they leave something like that out on accident.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

BabyRyoga posted:

I just feel like a game called "Mario Maker" should 100% be able to make an exact 1 for 1 copy of any Mario game level that has already existed,

This was never going to happen.

• Locked thread