Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

rizzen posted:

I did not know this was even a thing. Guess I've found my next time waster.

Same here. The chapter creation is far more detailed than I thought it would be. This will take months out of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Same here. The chapter creation is far more detailed than I thought it would be. This will take months out of my life.

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Chapter_Master_%28game%29

You can read about its humble origins there, essentially /tg/ pretending the game existed, as they always do, and then eventually poo poo got done.

Always bet on Duke

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Did it ever become a plotpoint that the Necron looked suspiciously like the Tau before they all got turned into Terminators?

I think this was dropped with Newcrons and is probably my most hated loss, well that and Pariahs. The Tau being a race created by the Necrons, most likely as bait to get other races to let their guard down and playing the long game was really cool and kind of showed how the Necrons are multigenerational assholes like that dick Eldrad. Also its an additional reason to hate the Tau, and that is never bad.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Eimi posted:

I think this was dropped with Newcrons and is probably my most hated loss, well that and Pariahs. The Tau being a race created by the Necrons, most likely as bait to get other races to let their guard down and playing the long game was really cool and kind of showed how the Necrons are multigenerational assholes like that dick Eldrad. Also its an additional reason to hate the Tau, and that is never bad.

drat, that would have made for a great bit of Lore.
Unfortunately for them, the Imperium and Eldar are having none of their blue hearted love and peace nonsense.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Veloxyll posted:

Unfortunately for them, the Imperium and Eldar are having none of their blue hearted love and peace nonsense.

To be fair, the Eldar have seen too much of the universe to trust such a naive message (also they're arrogant jerkoffs) while the Imperium needs its xenophobia if it is to survice- after all, if you're willing to admit that something that isn't human might have good ideas, you might just end up listening to that guy with the... interesting interpretation of the Imperial Creed. If you're taught from birth that there is only One, True Way™, it'd reduce your chances of having your soul consumed by beings bond time and morality.

Kasrkin
Feb 16, 2014

Nothing suspicious here.
Yes, finally a game i Have personally played the gently caress out AND know a fuckton of Background of.

Looking forward to this. And submiting myself to re-education. Cadia's Elite can wait. (Since they technically seem to Not exist anymore in that way)

That said, i keep alternating between O'Kais original voice and blind sally's while reading the Dialog. It is strange

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Apparently this game and Soulstorm doesn't deal out keys on Steam anymore?

Kinda a bummer when I used to have this on CD, got rid of them when moving without remembering that I only activated the base game on Steam :negative:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Time for someone to show ya gitz wat REALLY appaned on Kronos

Da tru story starts ere

Part 1
Part 2 - includes Hyperion Peaks!
Part 3
Part 4

Veloxyll fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 22, 2015

JohnOfOrdo3
Nov 7, 2011

My other car is an asteroid
:black101:

Dr. Snark posted:

Speaking of which, do you plan on getting your LP of it archived any time soon? Because I'd hate to see such an entertaining LP go to waste.

I'd have to look into how to do that. I'll also have to see if I ever finish the final video. I think the forums went down and by the time it was back, so was my thread. Hopefully I didn't delete the videos like a nobhead.

Turns out I didn't I've still got all the bits of the final level waiting in my editing folder. Fancy. There goes the rest of my weekend.

malkav11 posted:

It's important to note that Front Mission Evolved (which is a mech action game) is almost completely unrelated to the main Front Mission series, which is a bunch of tactical JRPGs about mech combat. I think most people would say the latter are significantly better, but you probably can't build Tau battlesuits in them.

Oh yeah it's a complete departure from the rest of the series and not representative of the series at all.

Anyway, back to the 40ks. I'm kind of sad they never included the tyranids in this version of Dawn of War, they would have worked really well as an army. Rather than the more tactical gameplay we got in Dawn of War 2. Then again I guess we already had one melee swarm army in the orks. So maybe they couldn't make them unique enough?

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

JohnOfOrdo3 posted:

I'm kind of sad they never included the tyranids in this version of Dawn of War, they would have worked really well as an army. Rather than the more tactical gameplay we got in Dawn of War 2. Then again I guess we already had one melee swarm army in the orks. So maybe they couldn't make them unique enough?

They didn't think this style of game would do the Tyranids justice was the logic I heard, which is quite frankly not true. Honestly this style of RTS works way better for Tyranids than DoW2 ever did, heck this style works better than DoW 2 does as a whole, the only thing DoW 2 has is the stories are arguably better quality. I really don't like the game-play of DoW 2 for anything other than the campaigns and even then the campaign works best if played like a Diablo game not an RTS in my opinion. Another missed opportunity is that there's no multi-player version of the Dark Crusade/Soulstorm campaign with multiple players fighting to take control of the planet/sector. Also a really great thing in Soulstorm that isn't in this as far as I remember is unique resources, specifically the Sisters of Battle, Dark Eldar and Orks get special resources for abilities/upgrades in the case of the SoB and DE and extra unit cap for the Orks.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
The bext thing about Soulstorm is the Chaos voice acting. That, and Indrick Boreale.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So going back to the Exterminatus. It's not that the Imperium couldn't just say, blow up the entire loving galaxy and starve the tyranids, turn it all into one giant husk sans Terra. But the entire idea is to survive without consigning the whole of the galaxy to death. That's forgotten slightly I think when you bring up how horrible the Imperium can be. The end goal is still to populate the galaxy and expand and evolve further. You can think of the God Emperor less as a literal deity and more "What Mankind can achieve over a few billion years. Human Evolution is laid out pretty decently actually it goes Human, Space Marine, Custodes, Primarch, Emperor. The Emperor himself is more of an evolutionary 'cheat' than anything special. Much like how his creation of the primarchs and Custodes was him cheating

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The manual also states that the Grey Knights are assisting the Blood Ravens to repay a past favor.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Veloxyll posted:

Time for someone to show ya gitz wat REALLY appaned on Kronos

Da tru story starts ere

Exporting the parts to youtube.

Thanks goodness, this is just in time! I'll be away for a week, so expect the next update sometime round then.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

The manual also states that the Grey Knights are assisting the Blood Ravens to repay a past favor.

Or to get their stuff back. And who's to say they're Grey Knights at all? After all, if the Blood Ravens have canonically been 'gifted' Custodes armour...

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Custodes armour, a full company of Custodes, what's the difference to the Magpies?

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

They didn't think this style of game would do the Tyranids justice was the logic I heard, which is quite frankly not true. Honestly this style of RTS works way better for Tyranids than DoW2 ever did, heck this style works better than DoW 2 does as a whole, the only thing DoW 2 has is the stories are arguably better quality. I really don't like the game-play of DoW 2 for anything other than the campaigns and even then the campaign works best if played like a Diablo game not an RTS in my opinion. Another missed opportunity is that there's no multi-player version of the Dark Crusade/Soulstorm campaign with multiple players fighting to take control of the planet/sector. Also a really great thing in Soulstorm that isn't in this as far as I remember is unique resources, specifically the Sisters of Battle, Dark Eldar and Orks get special resources for abilities/upgrades in the case of the SoB and DE and extra unit cap for the Orks.

Eh, this might be the result of changing tastes, but I really like Dawn of War 2, ti feels in many ways better than one. I really, really miss the old races and more unique playstyles, but 2 just feels very satisfying with things like melee units, the no reinforcement in the field, retreats and the like. Reinforcing in the field felt just awful overall, unless you had overwhelming superior firepower. As well vehicles in 1 didn't quite feel like something unique like they do in 2 where they are ridiculously terrifying. 2 also can feel a bit more rpg like, where your hero is a super awesome factor and retaining and leveling up your troops is a key mechanic too.

I don't know, when 2 came out I hated the gameplay changes and lack of races, but trying to go back to DoW1 now it reminds me of all the bugbears I have about traditional RTS that 2 just side steps. The lack of Sisters (:colbert:) and a horrible single player AI do hurt 2, when to be played properly you need to fight a player, which these days can be hard if not impossible to get a balanced game. Or a game at all.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

The bext thing about Soulstorm is the Chaos voice acting. That, and Indrick Boreale.
There's a reason why they went with Thule and Eliphas for DoW2.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I would play the poo poo out of a DoW2 style game about the Sisters or the Kasrkin. Or the Tau.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Dark Eldar are criminally under represented. Who cares about their hippy cousins, Dark eldar know whats up.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

to be fair, part of that is because the Dark Eldar don't pick fights like everyone else.

If they'd shown up during DOW2 it would've just been a case of doing a few slave raids, making the local authorities feel useless, then loving off.

Also planning next stream for Monday. Might do 2 missions US time, then 2 EUish. I haven't decided yet.

I will probably resist doing most of the strongholds. Probably. Cept the Tau. That one is 100% on the cards.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I think if there is a Dawn of War 3, Sisters might make sense as part of the Imperial Guard as a playable army. Keep stormtroopers as the stealthy stabby demolitionists they are in the fluff, bring in Sisters of Battle as the Guard's high-end infantry unit that can go toe to toe with Space Marines and the like.

And don't have them be like they are in Soulstorm where the only actual female character is a brain-damaged psychopath and it's the male priest guy that is the actual brains of the operation.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

I think if there is a Dawn of War 3, Sisters might make sense as part of the Imperial Guard as a playable army. Keep stormtroopers as the stealthy stabby demolitionists they are in the fluff, bring in Sisters of Battle as the Guard's high-end infantry unit that can go toe to toe with Space Marines and the like.

And don't have them be like they are in Soulstorm where the only actual female character is a brain-damaged psychopath and it's the male priest guy that is the actual brains of the operation.

I'd have loved if in Retribution they went not with just straight up guard, but Inquisitorial forces, and then how in Elite mod does it, if you pick a certain commander it would change some of your forces. So in this case there'd be Cannoness for Sisters, Lord Commissar for full Guard and then Inquisitor would be some kind of mix. I don't think that baseline Sisters should be a high tier unit, but what they would definitely benefit from is stealing some of the Guard's tanks. Because Immolators are not very good main line tanks at all. :v:

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Who needs tanks when literally everyone has melta guns?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
On the other hand, in Soulstorm they had motherfucking missile-launching organs.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

I'd have loved if in Retribution they went not with just straight up guard, but Inquisitorial forces, and then how in Elite mod does it, if you pick a certain commander it would change some of your forces. So in this case there'd be Cannoness for Sisters, Lord Commissar for full Guard and then Inquisitor would be some kind of mix. I don't think that baseline Sisters should be a high tier unit, but what they would definitely benefit from is stealing some of the Guard's tanks. Because Immolators are not very good main line tanks at all. :v:

Eh, small mercies they weren't put into an army with Grey Knights. What the hell, GW?

Or, to really make grog heads explode, do Dawn of War 3 focusing on the Imperial Guard. Specifically, one of the all-women regiments occasionally referred to but never seen in the fluff and books.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

anilEhilated posted:

On the other hand, in Soulstorm they had motherfucking missile-launching organs.

Yeah Exorcists own, I just mean in a DoW2 style game, having a main battle tank is important. I suppose they could kinda do it like 1 in where Penitent Engines are the high end mech stompy thing and then have Immolaters be transport capable like in the fluff, which would be cool.

Cythereal posted:

Eh, small mercies they weren't put into an army with Grey Knights. What the hell, GW?

Or, to really make grog heads explode, do Dawn of War 3 focusing on the Imperial Guard. Specifically, one of the all-women regiments occasionally referred to but never seen in the fluff and books.

Eh, I'd settle for just randomly putting in female models in guardsmen squads. Granted I am TERRIBLE at playing anything but Space Marines in DoW2, but it'd be neat. Now if they wanted to be really cool, be able to play a female Lord General or Lord Commissar.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
The Ordos Hereticus army should be relatively easy. Frateris militia as trash mobs, Inq. stormtroopers as infiltrators, Sisters as heavy infantry/anti-armour, Sisters vehicles. Inquisitorial retinue as special units.

If they could avoid the nipple-tassled, "enhanced" warrior ladies that would be nice, but I imagine they would be included.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Cythereal posted:

Ugh, don't remind me of Matt Ward's bullshit...

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

goatface posted:

If they could avoid the nipple-tassled, "enhanced" warrior ladies that would be nice, but I imagine they would be included.

They are, for all the wrong reasons, one of the more iconic Sisters units. Ogryn would probably fill the same heavy melee unit niche, though.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Cythereal posted:

They are, for all the wrong reasons, one of the more iconic Sisters units. Ogryn would probably fill the same heavy melee unit niche, though.

Eh, I don't mind Repentia because to me the image is almost more horrific than titillating. I mean this might just be the fault of GW being unable to draw or model women at all, but they looked rather messed up, and the notion of a fanatic who just makes a massive scroll as body armor to charge against an army of Tyranids is crazy badass. It's really the fan artists who try and draw sexy Repentia. Also gameplay wise Ogryns are more just tanky and slow, while Repentia are crazy killy. And I prefer my killy, especially if my main troops all get power armor anyway.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I wouldn't say psycho path as I would say 'ultra-orthodox religious extremist', though i suppose your average euphoric Redditor might not see the difference. In any case, Canoness Agna is actually one of my favourite Soulstorm characters because of that- she's got a job to do, one that she loves, and by the Emperor she's going to do it. As for the Confessor, he may be the brains but in the end he takes orders from Selena.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

Eh, I don't mind Repentia because to me the image is almost more horrific than titillating. I mean this might just be the fault of GW being unable to draw or model women at all, but they looked rather messed up, and the notion of a fanatic who just makes a massive scroll as body armor to charge against an army of Tyranids is crazy badass. It's really the fan artists who try and draw sexy Repentia.

As I said, they're iconic for all the wrong reasons. The idea is fine, echoes of the Celts charging people bare naked with weapons which naturally freaked the Romans right the hell out, but in execution?

quote:

I wouldn't say psycho path as I would say 'ultra-orthodox religious extremist', though i suppose your average euphoric Redditor might not see the difference. In any case, Canoness Agna is actually one of my favourite Soulstorm characters because of that- she's got a job to do, one that she loves, and by the Emperor she's going to do it. As for the Confessor, he may be the brains but in the end he takes orders from Selena.

Agna just comes across as dumber than a sack of potatoes to me. "Do you mean these blessed shrines will confer... invincibility?"

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Eimi posted:

Eh, this might be the result of changing tastes, but I really like Dawn of War 2, ti feels in many ways better than one. I really, really miss the old races and more unique playstyles, but 2 just feels very satisfying with things like melee units, the no reinforcement in the field, retreats and the like. Reinforcing in the field felt just awful overall, unless you had overwhelming superior firepower.

Is this having to do with reinforcing squads being a tedious time-management task? A lot of people I know who play DoW never noticed that you can have squads auto-reinforce by right-clicking the reinforce buttons or weapon upgrade buttons.

Veloxyll posted:

I will probably resist doing most of the strongholds. Probably. Cept the Tau. That one is 100% on the cards.

:colbert:

Sally fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Aug 22, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Is this having to do with reinforcing squads being a tedious time-management task? I lot of people I know who play DoW never noticed that you can have squads auto-reinforce by right-clicking the reinforce buttons or weapon upgrade buttons.

Nah, it's more it doesn't make engagements feel decisive unless you wipe them out, all of them. It can take a lot of time of two forces just sitting there shooting as models get picked off and come back up. Meanwhile in DoW2, that same skirmish feels a lot more dynamic, as if you pick off enough, or even get the squad low enough to threaten to pick something off, it forces that unit to fall back, which changes the engagement drastically. Also it makes melee feel a hell of a lot more powerful, as in DoW1 I never really liked any melee that wasn't a walker or overpowered Banshees, but in 2 melee matters a ton if only because they did more damage to retreating units. (Not to say loving Banshees were balanced in 2, fuckers run at a million miles an hour and can chase down retreating units easily)

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Cythereal posted:

As I said, they're iconic for all the wrong reasons. The idea is fine, echoes of the Celts charging people bare naked with weapons which naturally freaked the Romans right the hell out, but in execution?

They should mix them in with the arco-flagellants. All charging off to die for redemption, together.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Cythereal posted:

I don't know; I'm as red-blooded a male as one can get, but Repentia are not sexy, not at all, and it's kind of disturbing you'd think that people would find them so :stare: Unless you're talking about the Sister that leads them with her neural whip, but even that is loving disturbing. Sure, it may sound sexy in concept, then you see the art...

Cythereal posted:

Agna just comes across as dumber than a sack of potatoes to me. "Do you mean these blessed shrines will confer... invincibility?"

That's just Soulstorm's special writing coming into play, I wouldn't read too much into it.

goatface posted:

They should mix them in with the arco-flagellants. All charging off to die for redemption, together.

Yeah, they really should. I mean, they broughyt in friggin' Lightnings, they could've had ana rco or two. That being said, the Penitent Engine* makes up for it, I think.

Seriously, look at this thing. It's amazing, at least visually and fluffwise.

EDIT: In fact, here, have my favourite 40K image. Sure, Spehss Marehns might be the supposed iconic representation of 40K, but to me, nothing catches the Imperium's fanaticism insanity and terrifying awesomeness more than the below image.

EDIT 2: Also have a bonus Inquisitor Karamazov:

That battle throne was an actual tabletop model last time I played :allears:

CommissarMega fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 22, 2015

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

CommissarMega posted:

Yeah, they really should. I mean, they broughyt in friggin' Lightnings, they could've had ana rco or two. That being said, the Penitent Engine* makes up for it, I think.

Seriously, look at this thing. It's amazing, at least visually and fluffwise.

Yeah Penitents are Imperial batshit insanity at its best. No AIs, and those Space Marine dicks wont' share with us how they make dreadnoughts, so gently caress it we will torture someone to the point of insanity, stick em in a walker and point them at the enemy. Said walker being covered in enough flame throwers to make any Sister jealous. The fact that its a demon engine in all but name and that no one recognizes this also adds to the insanity.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Eimi posted:

Yeah Penitents are Imperial batshit insanity at its best. No AIs, and those Space Marine dicks wont' share with us how they make dreadnoughts, so gently caress it we will torture someone to the point of insanity, stick em in a walker and point them at the enemy.

Oh no, you don't really need to torture the person inside- they torture themselves with thoughts of impurity and redemption. That, to me, is the real horror of the whole thing- odds are good that the person screaming at you from a Penitent Engine, or the lobotomized berserker that is an arco-flagellant, or the crazed naked woman wielding a two-handed chainsword and with scripture nailed to her actually wanted that fate, that their lives of indoctrination have made them see that as the desirable thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Eimi posted:

The fact that its a demon engine in all but name and that no one recognizes this also adds to the insanity.

Lorgar said it best: the difference between angels and demons largely depends on where one is standing at the time.

• Locked thread