Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mr. Wookums posted:

You are confusing general deterrence with specific deterrence.
Yes

Tell me why AR brought up specific deterrence. :allears:

You might be interested in this post http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3701648&userid=124707&perpage=40&pagenumber=13#post449154254

Starshark fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

What are you trying to get at? Having longer jail terms for murder actually increases murder rate? What AR stated is true and isn't contradictory to any of your claims of general deterrence regardless of whether or not I feel your correlation is hosed.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Arn't a pretty big chunk of murders basically heat of the moment type things? I don't think harsh sentencing is going to make those go away.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's only because we aren't jailing enough people.

For example, if we jailed 100% of the people in prisons run by robots, the murder rate would be zero, now there's specific deterrence for you, suck it Norway.

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope

Mr. Wookums posted:

What are you trying to get at? Having longer jail terms for murder actually increases murder rate? What AR stated is true and isn't contradictory to any of your claims of general deterrence regardless of whether or not I feel your correlation is hosed.

Well in that case I did get the two terms mixed up, I see where you're coming from. But how necessary is specific deterrence? I don't have time to analyse murder in various countries but I can say anecdotally it's rare in Australia for someone released on a murder charge to murder again. Do we know if people locked up for life would definitely kill had they been allowed to get out?

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Depends largely on the type of murder.

Remember, I deal primarily in gang homicide. In that context specific deterrence is absolutely a valid consideration. Same with sexual abuse of minors.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Starshark posted:

Well in that case I did get the two terms mixed up, I see where you're coming from. But how necessary is specific deterrence? I don't have time to analyse murder in various countries but I can say anecdotally it's rare in Australia for someone released on a murder charge to murder again. Do we know if people locked up for life would definitely kill had they been allowed to get out?
Quick search found: http://www.researchgate.net/publication/233945219_Homicide_offender_recidivism_A_review_of_the_literature

You want page 21 and 22. Can't prove a negative regarding people locked up for life, but hopefully those are murder 1s with previous violent convictions which lean towards recidivism involving some type of violence.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

VitalSigns posted:

We would have a 0% recidivism rate if we instituted the death penalty for every crime, makes you think

Start with tailgating and speeding and I'm on board.

E: seeing as though we already started in Texas with unsignaled lane changes.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

FAUXTON posted:

Start with tailgating and speeding and I'm on board.

E: seeing as though we already started in Texas with unsignaled lane changes.

Modest speeding is okay since most roads have needlessly low speed limits, but slamming down on the stupid poo poo that causes accidents like tailgating and unsignaled turns would be unironically good. It's not like following someone another car length closer even gets you anywhere.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

My fault, was working from memory - its violent crime rate is one of the highest in the US (somebody's doing the raping), but the murder rate is in the middle of the pack.

Which is still nearly an order of magnitude higher than Norway though despite all of the similarities.

Sweden actually has double the rape rate as the US the last time I checked, which was surprising.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

computer parts posted:

Sweden actually has double the rape rate as the US the last time I checked, which was surprising.

How much of that is due to different reporting? About 80% of sexual assaults in the US are estimated to go unreported, predominately due to our society's nasty tendency to blame the victim for being assaulted. Even among those, only 2% of rapists actually see a felony conviction.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Starshark posted:

So if it works so well we should be seeing lower murder rates, yeah?

We are, dramatically, many criminologists believe as a direct result of specific deterrence from mass incarceration. Many others claim that the massive drop in crime rates occurred for other reasons though and there's way, way too many confounding variables to make a strong statement in either direction so it tends to falls along political lines.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Jarmak posted:

We are, dramatically, many criminologists believe as a direct result of specific deterrence from mass incarceration. Many others claim that the massive drop in crime rates occurred for other reasons though and there's way, way too many confounding variables to make a strong statement in either direction so it tends to falls along political lines.

Sources?

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Why would I source something I admit is unprovable? do you want me to source both sides of the arguement? Do you want me to spend time throwing up a bunch of sources I know aren't conclusive so you can knock them down after I already admitted they're not conclusive?

Also could you please source your statement that Sweden has a much better report rate then the US and that's the reason for the higher number of rapes? Cause I'm pretty sure that you're just making that the gently caress up, I'm having trouble finding one for Sweden specifically but everything I see puts the nordic countries as even or worse at reporting then the US. This Amensty International paper puts the unreported rate in Finland at 90%-95% https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/ACT77/001/2010/en/

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 21, 2015

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

Jarmak posted:

Why would I source something I admit is unprovable? do you want me to source both sides of the arguement? Do you want me to spend time throwing up a bunch of sources I no aren't conclusive so you can knock them down after I already admitted they're not conclusive?

Also could you please source your statement that Sweden has a much better report rate then the US and that's the reason for the higher number of rapes? Cause I'm pretty sure that you're just making that the gently caress up, I'm having trouble finding one for Sweden specifically but everything I see puts the nordic countries as even or worse at reporting then the US. This Amensty International paper puts the unreported rate in Finland at 90%-95% https://www.amnesty.org/en/documents/ACT77/001/2010/en/

Yeah, it is probably not reporting rate, as Nordic countries also have their own versions of rape culture. It is more to do with classification and reporting techniques, since very few countries use identical methods.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

archangelwar posted:

It is more to do with classification and reporting techniques, since very few countries use identical methods.

Homicide is about the only comparable statistics for this reason, and even that has some nuances between countries.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
So the guy who was shot in St. Louis? He was shot in the back.

And the response of STL police? A "heightened state of alert," extending shifts and cancelling leave requests. That's really going to cut down on the mistakes.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
This week, six police officers have been charged with murder.

http://usuncut.com/news/six-indictments-of-killer-cops-this-week-proves-blacklivesmatter-is-working/

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

VitalSigns posted:

That's only because we aren't jailing enough people.

For example, if we jailed 100% of the people in prisons run by robots, the murder rate would be zero, now there's specific deterrence for you, suck it Norway.

And if 100% of people were robots, assault would be replaced with property damage! :pseudo:

Zarkov Cortez
Aug 18, 2007

Alas, our kitten class attack ships were no match for their mighty chairs

ActusRhesus posted:

You are confusing general deterrence with specific deterrence. Long jail terms absolutely have a specific deterrent effect. That person is unable to continue his criminal conduct while he is incarcerated. The longer he is incarcerated for, the longer he is unable to recidivate.

I think specific/general deterrence is it's own distinct thing (which at times is questionable with some mandatory minimum sentences) compared to the requirement to separate violent offenders from the rest of society.

We have it codified in :canada::

quote:

718. PURPOSE — The fundamental purpose of sentencing is to contribute, along with crime prevention initiatives, to respect for the law and the maintenance of a just, peaceful and safe society by imposing just sanctions that have one or more of the following objectives:
    (a) to denounce unlawful conduct;
    (b) to deter the offender and other persons from committing offences;
    (c) to separate offenders from society, where necessary;
    (d) to assist in rehabilitating offenders;
    (e) to provide reparations for harm done to victims or to the community; and
    (f) to promote a sense of responsibility in offenders, and acknowledgment of the harm done to victims and to the community.

Zarkov Cortez fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Aug 23, 2015

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Hopefully I'll have another dose of rage tomorrow. But here is today's.

Mentally Unstable, Road-Raging Police Officer, Has A History of Mental Instability

http://www.copscaughtontape.com/headline/mentally-unstable-road-raging-police-officer-has-a-history-of-mental-instability/

Cleveland officer resigns over "unintentional" text message

http://www.wrcbtv.com/story/29857261/cleveland-officer-resigns-over-unintentional-text-message

Cop Busted on Hidden Camera Extorting Driver: “Buy These or I Take Your Car."

http://usuncut.com/news/cop-busted-on-hidden-camera-extorting-driver-buy-these-or-i-take-your-car/

Just a few bad apples.

SpeedGem
Sep 19, 2012

by Ralp
Sorry for the double post, but.

Worcester, MA — Marianne Diaz and her children were asleep during the pre-dawn hours of August 18 when a gang of heavily armed militarized men kicked in the door to their apartment and began terrorizing this family.

Diaz was woken up by the sound of multiple doors being kicked in. The next thing she knew, she was naked and on her knees, looking down the barrels of several AR-15 rifles.

“Stop f**king crying and take care of your f**king kids,” she quoted one officer as saying. According to Diaz, the militarized gang would keep her in this state of terror, completely nude, for ten minutes.

With her children crying at the sight of their mother being held hostage by men in black body armor, the gang proceeded to tear apart their house.

This heavily militarized invasion of an innocent family’s home was because incompetent police had raided the wrong house.

During the assault and terrorization, dispatch records show that officers called for a female officer to come to the scene. When the female officer arrived, Diaz, who was completely naked, was then patted down by the female officer and told to spread her legs to be searched.

Read more at http://thefreethoughtproject.com/stop-fking-crying-swat-raids-wrong-home-holds-naked-mom-gunpoint-front-children/#OhWkfsBlBZOTbsAk.99

edit : The fact that they were at the wrong house is only part of their incompetent and brutal blunder, however. These inept barbarians actually arrested Jackson 2 weeks prior to the raid!

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/08/24/3694725/ferguson-municipal-court-reforms/

Ferguson’s new municipal court judge, Judge Donald McCullin, issued an order Monday to withdraw all arrest warrants issued before the end of last year. The order may affect thousands of people in Ferguson who have racked up exorbitant debt for traffic violations or other minor offenses.
McCullin also reinstated all driver’s licenses suspended solely because the driver failed to appear in court or pay a fine. Suspended license penalties tend to trap poor people into cycles of debt, as they have little choice but to continue driving to work and risk being arrested for driving with a suspended license.
The defendants whose warrants have been withdrawn will be given new court dates. Pretrial release conditions will also change, the judge said. Rather than jail people, the court will come up with alternative payment plans, commute fines for people who can’t afford them, or require community service.
“These changes should continue the process of restoring confidence in the Court, alleviating fears of the consequences of appearing in Court, and giving many residents a fresh start,” said McCullin. “Many individuals whose license has been suspended will be able to obtain them and take advantage of the benefits of being able to drive. Moreover, defendants will not be disadvantaged in being afforded pre-trial release because of the inability to make bond.”

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.

Vahakyla posted:

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2015/08/24/3694725/ferguson-municipal-court-reforms/

Ferguson’s new municipal court judge, Judge Donald McCullin, issued an order Monday to withdraw all arrest warrants issued before the end of last year. The order may affect thousands of people in Ferguson who have racked up exorbitant debt for traffic violations or other minor offenses.
McCullin also reinstated all driver’s licenses suspended solely because the driver failed to appear in court or pay a fine. Suspended license penalties tend to trap poor people into cycles of debt, as they have little choice but to continue driving to work and risk being arrested for driving with a suspended license.
The defendants whose warrants have been withdrawn will be given new court dates. Pretrial release conditions will also change, the judge said. Rather than jail people, the court will come up with alternative payment plans, commute fines for people who can’t afford them, or require community service.
“These changes should continue the process of restoring confidence in the Court, alleviating fears of the consequences of appearing in Court, and giving many residents a fresh start,” said McCullin. “Many individuals whose license has been suspended will be able to obtain them and take advantage of the benefits of being able to drive. Moreover, defendants will not be disadvantaged in being afforded pre-trial release because of the inability to make bond.”

Well, holy poo poo.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

In the future, please post shit with the sole purpose of antagonizing the person running this site. Thank you.
Public outrage and riots are useless. :rolleyes:

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

I'm not used to hearing good news so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

But...but a store got looted, therefore all protesters are only making things worse for themselves and their neighborhood :downs:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

That sounds like great news. :)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grey Fox posted:

I'm not used to hearing good news so I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop.

The other shoe is that the same pieces of poo poo who brought that town to its nadir through their abuses of power are probably furiously poring over everything that municipal judge has ever said, done, written, drawn, or opined, to find something to sue him over.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
So some members of BLM have launched a policy plan to deal with policing in this country.
http://www.joincampaignzero.org/#vision

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Pohl posted:

Public outrage and riots are useless. :rolleyes:

Spreading awareness about outrageous behavior is useless. What we need to do here is having long, pedantic discussions about how the only legally feasible solutions are the status quo.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

blackguy32 posted:

So some members of BLM have launched a policy plan to deal with policing in this country.
http://www.joincampaignzero.org/#vision

I'm too tired to deal with that right now, but I will look into it tomorrow. Thanks.

Pohl
Jan 28, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

But...but a store got looted, therefore all protesters are only making things worse for themselves and their neighborhood :downs:

The entire poor and working class just needs to stand up and declare that we want ice cream or something. It would be amazing.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Pictured: an effective petition for judicial reform

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

SedanChair posted:

Pictured: an effective petition for judicial reform

The effect being judicial reform, so yes? Effectiveness doesn't really cover the ethics or morals of activism.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

The effect being judicial reform, so yes? Effectiveness doesn't really cover the ethics or morals of activism.

I think he concurs with you that, threatening racist white institutions with violence, works to get what you deserve. Not WANT, Deserve, as Americans. gently caress the FPD.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
I'm pretty sure the federal probe into the Ferguson PD that's been driving this was announced before the grand jury finished deliberations in the Darren Wilson case, so it's hard to see how all the stunts after that point contributed.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A Philadelphia officer has been placed on desk duty after literally being caught on camera demanding a bribe.

quote:

A Philadelphia patrolman who appears to be pressuring a driver to support a police fundraiser or have his car towed in a video released last week has been placed on desk duty, police said. Officer Matthew Zagursky embarrassed the police department and may have committed a crime, Commissioner Charles Ramsey said. On the video, the officer asks: "You and your friend got any money to buy these thrill show tickets? Either you buy these or I take your car. 'Cause it's unregistered. Ten bucks each, man."

The uniformed officer balks at the driver's plan to buy just two tickets, and the driver ultimately agrees to give the officer $30 for three tickets. The officer also is heard making a homophobic remark while discussing pink windshield wipers on the unregistered car. The driver says they honor a grandmother who had breast cancer.

"Yeah, he may have committed a crime. I dunno, is bribery illegal in Pennsylvania yet?"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

chitoryu12 posted:

A Philadelphia officer has been placed on desk duty after literally being caught on camera demanding a bribe.

"Yeah, he may have committed a crime. I dunno, is bribery illegal in Pennsylvania yet?"

When I read the words "Philadelphia cop," that's exactly the guy I imagine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Dead Reckoning posted:

I'm pretty sure the federal probe into the Ferguson PD that's been driving this was announced before the grand jury finished deliberations in the Darren Wilson case, so it's hard to see how all the stunts after that point contributed.

It was launched two days after the shooting but there were protests the day after. Also the grand jury announcement was last November and the results of the probe weren't released till March, so actions after the grand jury announcement could still have a large impact.

• Locked thread