Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Turtlicious posted:

I'm gonna run 4e

Print out power cards for your players. Colour code them white for dailies, red for encounters, green for at wills. Makes power management so much easier when you can just flip a card and you know it's gone, and your options are always right in front of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
Now this looks like the right kind of thread to throw me a bone.

See, I'm contemplating to get into 4e for a change, but that seems to be strangely harder than I thought. For whatever reason, I can't find an online shop offering PDFs of the books you'd actually need to get started (like the first Players Handbook, or those two Essentials books I'd like to avoid anyways). What's up with that?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Doresh posted:

Now this looks like the right kind of thread to throw me a bone.

See, I'm contemplating to get into 4e for a change, but that seems to be strangely harder than I thought. For whatever reason, I can't find an online shop offering PDFs of the books you'd actually need to get started (like the first Players Handbook, or those two Essentials books I'd like to avoid anyways). What's up with that?

At this point I would just buy the Rules compendium PDF and get the offline character builder for the actual player options.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Aug 19, 2015

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

The rules compendium is an excellent reference but it's not at all a good resource for learning how to play the game.

--edit: correction. The compendium application isn't good for learning the game. The compendium book is fine. Sorry, I was confused there.

You can get PDFs of all the older edition stuff here: http://www.dndclassics.com/

Here's everything they have for 4th:
http://www.dndclassics.com/browse.php?keywords=%284e%29

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 19, 2015

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Leperflesh posted:

You can get PDFs of all the older edition stuff here: http://www.dndclassics.com/

Here's everything they have for 4th:
http://www.dndclassics.com/browse.php?keywords=%284e%29

Oh, I know those sites. They seem to have everything except for the first set of Players Handbook, GM Guide and Monster Manual.

Andrast posted:

At this point I would just buy the Rules compendium PDF and get the offline character builder for the actual player options.

I'll probably get the compendium anyways, but I'd really like a book with the standard base classes in them.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
E: strike that, figured it out myself, better question. When my players level up, do I have too reprint the sheet out each time? or is the sheet left blank enough to level up on their own?

Turtlicious fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Aug 20, 2015

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
You don't necessarily have to print out a new sheet, but there can be a lot of fiddly details to change. Particularly, on the even levels you get a new feat and an additional +1 from the half-level modifier, which is a lot of changing numbers.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Doresh posted:

Oh, I know those sites. They seem to have everything except for the first set of Players Handbook, GM Guide and Monster Manual.

I'll probably get the compendium anyways, but I'd really like a book with the standard base classes in them.

Try your local gaming store. They will likely have any remaining 4e stuff on serious discount.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Doresh posted:

There were some articles with Fighter, Rogue, Wizard, Cleric and Warlord released on DDI. Complete with full errata, last I checked.

http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/201107wizard
http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/201106rogue
http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/201105templar
http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/201104fighter
http://archive.wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/dra/201103warlord

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Generic Octopus posted:

Check out 4e's charop forum (here's the fighter guide, and the guide collection thread). Lots of good general advice, power recommendations, and feat recommendations.

Oh excellent, those links are handy thanks.

Out of interest, what is the free character builder du jour? I'm not yet at the monthly subscription level of immersion to get Insider.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Noxin of Shame posted:

Oh excellent, those links are handy thanks.

Out of interest, what is the free character builder du jour? I'm not yet at the monthly subscription level of immersion to get Insider.

It's technically :filez: but you can find the discontinued official offline character builder by googling a bit. It has been kept 100% updated by the community.

Noxin of Shame
Jul 25, 2005

:allears: Our Dan :allears:

Andrast posted:

It's technically :filez: but you can find the discontinued official offline character builder by googling a bit. It has been kept 100% updated by the community.

Ah right - say no more then.I guess that's why all the online ones I found circa 2009 either no longer work or support 4e. All good!

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Pfox posted:

Try your local gaming store. They will likely have any remaining 4e stuff on serious discount.

Well, gaming stores aren't exactly all that local around here, and the funny thing about living in Germany is that WotC completely abandoned the German market after the first printing of the 4e core books. Oh well, I was looking for the English versions anyways as those actually have official support. Maybe the not-so-local store has some imported stuff.

Andrast posted:

Now that sounds nice. Gotta check that one out.

I think there are also a wiki or two with more or less complete information about the classes. That's at least something.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doresh posted:

the funny thing about living in Germany
What area are you in, roughly, if you don't mind me asking?

My Lovely Horse fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Aug 20, 2015

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

My Lovely Horse posted:

What area are you in, roughly, if you don't mind me asking?

Why not? I'm currently in North-Rhine Westphalia for job reasons.

Lord Justice
Jul 24, 2012

"This god whom I created was human-made and madness, like all gods! Woman she was, and only a poor specimen of woman and ego. But I overcame myself, the sufferer; I carried my own ashes to the mountains; I invented a brighter flame for myself. And behold, then this god fled from me!"

Doresh posted:

Now that sounds nice. Gotta check that one out.

I can help you out if you want, either via PMs (Says you've turned them off) or Steam (The God Emperor, King of Magi).

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Doresh posted:

Why not? I'm currently in North-Rhine Westphalia for job reasons.
Ah okay. Just always looking for folks in my neck of the woods (of Thuringia (also job reasons)).

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

My Lovely Horse posted:

Ah okay. Just always looking for folks in my neck of the woods (of Thuringia (also job reasons)).

Yeah, I know how that feels...

Lord Justice posted:

I can help you out if you want, either via PMs (Says you've turned them off) or Steam (The God Emperor, King of Magi).

Now they're turned on. I must've turned them off accidentally as part of my typical registration routine of disabling anything that sounds like an automatic email notification. That stuff usually clutters my inbox when I leave it on.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

How does cover work with Large and larger creatures? Do you have to be able to draw unbroken lines to the creature's entire space, or just one of the squares it takes up?

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Really Pants posted:

How does cover work with Large and larger creatures? Do you have to be able to draw unbroken lines to the creature's entire space, or just one of the squares it takes up?

I think it is two corners of any square the creature occupies.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I managed to dig up the Rules Compendium I thought I'd lost and it agrees with you: clear lines to any single square is enough for no cover penalties.

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

So I had an interesting conversation with some friends today about why they really didn't like 4th. It mostly boiled down to them not liking the feel of the AED for non-casters, and that the mechanics side is more exposed. Also, we sort of haven't run into caster supremacy, because the only person who basically ever plays a full caster is terrible at choosing spells and playing tactically, along with tending to stop around level 12-ish. It was really weird how we all basically agreed that it was a better system mechanically, but they still preferred other d&d systems because of the feel and the fact that our casters sucking caused them to not be that effective (also some great arguments about them not min-maxing, but they do a lot more of that than any casters we've had). Wasn't really sure how to move the discussion to get them more on board.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
Well if that's not enough for them it just sounds like they're going to be opposed no matter what.

The big difference is that every class has things they can do during combat rather than being stuck with "I attack" and theatre of the mind.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ZypherIM posted:

So I had an interesting conversation with some friends today about why they really didn't like 4th. It mostly boiled down to them not liking the feel of the AED for non-casters, and that the mechanics side is more exposed. Also, we sort of haven't run into caster supremacy, because the only person who basically ever plays a full caster is terrible at choosing spells and playing tactically, along with tending to stop around level 12-ish. It was really weird how we all basically agreed that it was a better system mechanically, but they still preferred other d&d systems because of the feel and the fact that our casters sucking caused them to not be that effective (also some great arguments about them not min-maxing, but they do a lot more of that than any casters we've had). Wasn't really sure how to move the discussion to get them more on board.

This is one of the things Essentials gets right. Not always, but for some people.

The Thief can just do stuff. Like climb anything or hide where no one else can. Everything's at will except the set-up opening attack. It's a gem of a class (and I think the high point of Mearls' design).

The Scout is a roving ball of two weapon death that does everything you would want a ball of two weapon death to do.

The Knight works. "This is my space!" And with Defend the Line/World Serpent's Grasp thing knocking everyone down they feel mighty. It's more limited than it should be and has problems with forced movement. But in heroic it really works.

(Slayers are for casual players who don't care about mechanics and the Hunter would be great if it scaled a bit better).

And it's also something I was very much looking at for the classes for my retro-clone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
They're technically not wrong that other editions of D&D don't get so bad if you never hit high levels (i.e. 3.5 under e6) or if the players playing the full casters are, to put it bluntly, bad, but they're basically banking on the idea that both of those points are always going to be true.

What I mean to say is that instead of "well 3rd Ed won't break because our campaigns don't last that long", then enter a gentleman's agreement that you literally will not ever, even if the circumstances line up. And what if the caster players do get good? Are you supposed to come up with a list of banned spells to keep them where they used to be?

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
That's basically what many crpgs did, banned/restricted a lot of the problem spells and made people play blaster wizards.

I think they may have influenced many players' thinking.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Littlefinger posted:

That's basically what many crpgs did, banned/restricted a lot of the problem spells and made people play blaster wizards.

Well yeah, I'm just saying that playing 4e already does most of that work for you.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

If your players started with 3.5, and then houseruled and adapted it to the point where they have a balanced game (for their adventures), I don't see any particularly strong reason to move to 4th edition. From the player's perspective.

One thing they might be discounting, though, is the degree to which 4th is so much easier on the DM. From encounter design to creating custom monsters to setting up campaigns, 3.5 just requires massively more work. It's one of the places where players might just be unaware of 4th edition's advantages.

It can be tough to convince a player group to go along with the DM when it's the DM reaping a big benefit, but once they do, they might find they're enjoying interacting with a less stressed-out DM, who has more time to focus on the actually interesting parts of the game (description, plot, characterization) rather than the tedious details.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Littlefinger posted:

This is what we did for pencil+paper games, too. Otherwise you ended up with the problem of "The game is only fun for casters" and you got groups where your party lineup was something like '1 Wizard, 2 Clerics, 1 Druid" because people have learned that playing a fighter or a paladin or a thief is a good way to spend most of the game using basic attack actions while the casters get things like "choices in combat" and "spells that can handle your out of combat niche without a need for you to be present" .

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Doresh posted:

Well, gaming stores aren't exactly all that local around here, and the funny thing about living in Germany is that WotC completely abandoned the German market after the first printing of the 4e core books. Oh well, I was looking for the English versions anyways as those actually have official support. Maybe the not-so-local store has some imported stuff.

Too bad. I have just stumbled upon thriftbooks.com, which is a resource everyone should be familiar with. I just nabbed a like-new copy of the dm guide for $10.99 plus super-cheap shipping. Maybe it'll work for you?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Is there a cheap knock-off of Heroscape terrain tiles? Something that comes in hex grids of varying shapes so I can make quick and massive scenery?

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Pfox posted:

Too bad. I have just stumbled upon thriftbooks.com, which is a resource everyone should be familiar with. I just nabbed a like-new copy of the dm guide for $10.99 plus super-cheap shipping. Maybe it'll work for you?

Even international shipping doesn't seem to be too expensive. Interesting.

*Notices that the Players Handbook is out of print*

Dammit <_<

Oh well, I just remembered a German side that has a good selection of imported stuff, though the PHB costs like 32 eurobucks. Oh well, the offline character builder plus Rules Compendium will do for now.

Then again, I'm moving into a new apartment around the end of the year. Now with an actual kitchen, but I'm not sure how much space I'll be having for hardcovers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Honestly if you have the Compendium and offline builder, there's no real need to own the PHB anymore. They have all the stuff you could need from the book with all the errata baked in. for better or worse

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

My Lovely Horse posted:

Honestly if you have the Compendium and offline builder, there's no real need to own the PHB anymore. They have all the stuff you could need from the book with all the errata baked in. for better or worse

So now I'm ready to roll :D

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

neonchameleon posted:

(Slayers are for casual players who don't care about mechanics and the Hunter would be great if it scaled a bit better).

Slayers are beasts if you build them correctly, but mediocre using only essentials materials. But then, everything other than Wizards pretty much fits that particular description.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

thespaceinvader posted:

Slayers are beasts if you build them correctly, but mediocre using only essentials materials. But then, everything other than Wizards pretty much fits that particular description.
Yeah, Slayers are mostly good because they count as fighters, and thus get all the toys that fighters have gotten over the years.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Yeah that's pretty much the Essentials story. OR, the Essentials content feeds the older classes a bunch of cool poo poo. You don't really notice this problem as long as you're building with the character builder, which I would recommend to anyone anyway.

Werewhale
Aug 10, 2013

thespaceinvader posted:

But then, everything other than Wizards pretty much fits that particular description.

CASTER SUPREMACY :argh:

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!
And like everyone else, wizards get even better when they have access to other books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

LightWarden posted:

And like everyone else, wizards get even better when they have access to other books.

Lesser classes only get new feats. Wizards get feats and spells.

Werewhale posted:

CASTER SUPREMACY :argh:

They're just taking what's rightfully theirs - or something.