Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

paradoxGentleman posted:

Oh, so by "ability scores" you mean stuff like D&D stats? Strenght, Dexterity and whatnot?

Yep.

In older editions sometimes depending on the whims of the GM and how he interpreted the rules, you might do an ability check by rolling under the ability score. As soon as you used anything resembling non-weapon proficiencies, this was immediately dumb. Then in 3.x "ability check" became just a skill check without a skill bonus, taking your ability bonus versus a regular DC. Which, as far as slimming down the mechanics and making the math easier, was a good idea, but they kept those superfluous scores because, uh, it's D&D. And then there're all the inconsistencies that arise from writers remembering or not remembering, or caring or not caring, so sometimes when you're weakened by something it reduces your ability score (which was often translated directly into a set penalty, making it even dumber), and sometimes it just gives you a penalty to ability rolls. And they added ability score increases as you level, but they were piddly poo poo boosts, so you could raise the roof over getting an odd score that does nothing while on the side of the system that matters you picked up ice storm or wish or some poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Potsticker posted:

Mass Effect 2's story and plot progression was so bad that I never played 3.

:shrug: Dunno what to tell you. I liked all the Mass Effect games pretty well, never had any problems with the story or anything. I remember I walked a couple miles to get that game in college and we all pretty much loved it. Good memories.

RE space racism in Mass Effect: yeah, totally. I mean the game does a good job of showing you that the Illusive Man and Cerberus are bad news, and Shepard works with them to fight the Collectors because what else is he gonna do? They're basically a myth, no one else wants to deal with them. I was uncomfortable with how in 2 the Renegade options make you a space racist, so I went Paragon for that game. Ideally both options would have you giving the Illusive Man a big ol' gently caress you. Finally getting to kick Cerberus' rear end in ME3 was awesome.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Ability scores can also be attached to character attributes that should be fully under the player's control. It's fine to say "we use this stat to say that this character is this strong", but once you apply that to intelligence you get situations where players work out a puzzle solution, but because they have INT as a dump stat they feel they can't suggest it to the group (not that anyone would know how to tell how much INT you need). Taken to extremes you get stuff like DSA's Courage score where you can literally fail a skill check because it turns out that thing you want your character to do, he's too cowardly to do it.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

paradoxGentleman posted:

Why do a lot of people in this forum hate ability scores?

It's specific to D&D's implementation, or even post-3rd Edition's implementation, where A. it presents a false choice, B. it can make your character a lot more limited than they could be and C. the necessity of some ability scores over others differs between classes and can contribute to class imbalance.

Say you're a Fighter. You need a high STR to hit often and hit hard and a high CON to have lots of HP. Depending on the edition (pre-3rd-Ed), you might also want high DEX for the extra AC or a bare minimum of INT/WIS to let you qualify for certain critical feats (3rd Ed).

A. It's a false choice because if you're using a standard array or a point-buy system, there's often going to be very little variation from one Fighter to another, because you're really only ever going to assign your stats one way. Maybe you might be a DEX Fighter, but besides that needing the STR/CON/DEX and a bit of INT is going to pigeonhole your stat allocation because it plays such a big factor into how well you can fight. If you're using rolled stats, then the freedom to have a high CHA score mostly rests on how many 18s you can randomly stumble upon and consequently how dicked over everyone else in the table is when you have 18 STR 18 CON 17 DEX or something and can still afford to put a 15 into CHA.

B. If the "Investigation" skill is linked to INT, or the "Intimidation" skill is linked to CHA, and you cannot ever have high CHA because of problem A, then you can never have a gumshoe Fighter or an intimidating Fighter. Or if you could, it'd mean gimping your combat stats, and good luck enjoying a game as combat-heavy as D&D when you're behind on combat stats. Granted, ability scores are only half of the problem - the skill system itself is also a contributor.

C. The Wizard needs INT to learn spells, and to have extra spell slots, and to bump up the saving throw difficulty of their spells, and to make their spells hit harder. Meanwhile a Paladin needs STR/CON just as much as a Fighter does, but they also need CHA to power their spells. And in some editions, they need CHA and WIS. If you have one class that only needs one high stat, versus a class that needs multiple high stats, then the former class has an advantage because problem B does not hit them as hard.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

It's also the fact that, in a lot of games now, you have an Ability Score that gives you an Ability Modifier, but then you never use the original Score anywhere. But you still have the 3-18 stats because D&D, that's why.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's also the fact that, in a lot of games now, you have an Ability Score that gives you an Ability Modifier, but then you never use the original Score anywhere. But you still have the 3-18 stats because D&D, that's why.

Dungeon World is the #1 offender in this regard, but it's a common problem in every D&D derivative game.

A big part of this forums' backlash against ability scores is how much more elegant they are in *World games in general than they have ever been in the past. You'll have between 4 and 6 stats, and the stats are always genre-appropriate names that fit the mood of the setting, and the numbers attached to the stats are directly tied to the moves you use to do things in the game. You know exactly what you're getting with each stat and exactly what you can do with it and it's all very clear. There's nothing like a better way to do a thing to make people dislike the old way of doing a thing.

Not to mention all sorts of other clever alternatives, like Danger Patrol's dice-assigned stats, or Last Stand's attributes-as-hit-points, or a variety of games getting rid of them altogether, like Golden Sky Stories and Nobilis and Law's Out.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Serf posted:

:shrug: Dunno what to tell you. I liked all the Mass Effect games pretty well, never had any problems with the story or anything. I remember I walked a couple miles to get that game in college and we all pretty much loved it. Good memories.

This goes back to all those good American RPGs I was posting, which even though there may have seemed to be some odd or wacky choices I was completely unironic about if you couldn't tell by me defending the "generic human" role you play in games like Riven or Zork: Grand Inquisitor. But the point is that if you were in college and enjoyed it, that's fine. Everyone has different experiences. Personally my experience with Mass Effect 2 is I had just come off playing Alpha Protocol and comparatively the conversation system in ME2 sucked. I also ran into little nitpicks that annoyed me like running out Jacob's dialogue (whom I had chosen for Shepherd to get romantic on) super early and then after each mission I would return to chat with him and there was just the same response every time. It really exposed the limitations of the system in how it was designed.

There's also the fact that the Elder Scrolls/Fallout/Mass Effect trio is all very well known and fairly recent games and to me shows a lack of actual insight into what games and RPGs in particular have been made in the forty-five-odd years that video games have existed. Arcanum and the three Ultima games were even on the edge of not even being mentioned because those are still fairly well known and often brought up when "good CRPGs" are brought up, but the point is there's a lot of good stuff out there and amazing experiences that can be had outside the very top of the surface of what's current and mainstream. Legend of Grimrock II probably should've made the cut too, now that I'm thinking about it.

You know, some of those games aren't super easy to get into. But who knows, maybe someone will google Treasure of Tarmin and be amazed at what type of gameplay was possible on the Intellivision, or decide to check out if 2400 AD was actually a video game and not just made up and see what the Origin crew came up with between Ultimas IV and V. Sadly the old feature phone iD RPG games are not really available for play anymore, but Orcs & Elves I + II came out for the Nintendo DS and that can be played on a 3DS if a person has one of those available. It's a lovely name for a game, but the games themselves are really well put together. Sadly I cannot recommend one over the other since II fixes some of the problems I had, but introduces new problems of its own.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
People who hate on Mass Effect 2's storylines are dumb and deserve the idiocy that is every other Bioware storyline, because ME2's plotlines were just uniformly cheesy 80's action movies. Mass Effect 1 was just a recycle of every other Bioware game and Mass Effect 3 wouldn't shut the gently caress up about how my badass protagonist apparently can't stop weeping over one dumb kid who got himself killed, whereas Mass Effect 2 gave me a goddamn Contra boss at the end and was 100% better for it. It's maybe the only Bioware game that isn't entirely shoved up it's own rear end. It's a dumb fun cheesy action game in space.

Also the entire ending part of splitting the team up and choosing where people go and utilizing the party you've recruited - which leads to immediate input on how the party members trust you and feedback on if you completed their extra questlines - was well done.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So unrelated to the current conversation. A friend of mine found a company whose slogan is "purity through innovation" which got us talking about a company run by Space Marines. And now all I can picture is The Office 40k with a space marine in full power armor wearing a tie sitting at a desk and trying to sell paper For the Emperor.

Only it would have 40k logic. So the printer goes out and the techmarines don't just replace the toner. They have to go on some elaborate ritual involving praising the Emperor, killing a heretic, and replacing the toner.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah. I mean, it'd make sense in games like GURPS where it's "roll under stat" but I have no idea why games like 13th Age use 3-18 other than to give that D&D feels.

Generally, though, I think most modern games only need to take one measure of PC competence anyway, whether it's skills or attributes or approaches. I'm not sure most games really benefit from combining two numbers, particularly if those combinations aren't variable. It makes some sense to at least give some unpredictability to make players roll Charisma + Lore at some point, but if you're always rolling Lore with Intelligence, what's the point?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. I mean, it'd make sense in games like GURPS where it's "roll under stat" but I have no idea why games like 13th Age use 3-18 other than to give that D&D feels.
Sadly, there's a lot of people out there who won't give a new game a shot unless it has the D&D feels. I've seen people ask stuff like "how do I make <game> more like D&D?" and part of me dies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

ProfessorCirno posted:

People who hate on Mass Effect 2's storylines are dumb and deserve the idiocy that is every other Bioware storyline, because ME2's plotlines were just uniformly cheesy 80's action movies. Mass Effect 1 was just a recycle of every other Bioware game and Mass Effect 3 wouldn't shut the gently caress up about how my badass protagonist apparently can't stop weeping over one dumb kid who got himself killed, whereas Mass Effect 2 gave me a goddamn Contra boss at the end and was 100% better for it. It's maybe the only Bioware game that isn't entirely shoved up it's own rear end. It's a dumb fun cheesy action game in space.

Also the entire ending part of splitting the team up and choosing where people go and utilizing the party you've recruited - which leads to immediate input on how the party members trust you and feedback on if you completed their extra questlines - was well done.

I agree with this for the most part, except that I think I must've blocked out the weepy Shepard part of ME3. Also Bioware games generally have enjoyable stories to go with the gameplay.

One day we'll get Jade Empire 2. One day...

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Serf posted:

Also Bioware games generally have enjoyable stories to go with the gameplay.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Sadly, there's a lot of people out there who won't give a new game a shot unless it has the D&D feels. I've seen people ask stuff like "how do I make <game> more like D&D?" and part of me dies.

I get what you're saying on one hand, but, on another, people like what they like and there isn't one way to play. While a poo poo game is a poo poo game and I'm not excusing bad game design, if people like D&D and want to mod their games to be more like it and they have more fun as a result, it works for them like story and indie games work for us.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Serf posted:

Also Bioware games generally have enjoyable stories to go with the gameplay.

Which-- ones?

Wait, I take that back. I don't care which ones you enjoyed. Sorry.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ProfessorCirno posted:

People who hate on Mass Effect 2's storylines are dumb and deserve the idiocy that is every other Bioware storyline, because ME2's plotlines were just uniformly cheesy 80's action movies.
I just wish it was like, one or two or maybe 3 strong action movies instead of like a dozen kinda weak ones.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I am also cool because I hate things other people like.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

dwarf74 posted:

Edgy

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

If a big group of people like something, it means it's not lovely and beyond reproach!

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Ah, a storygamer.

Potsticker posted:

If a big group of people like something, it means it's not lovely and beyond reproach!

Ah, another storygamer.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I forget, is storygamer cool or an insult on SA? I'm not down with the lingo around here.

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Potsticker posted:

I forget, is storygamer cool or an insult on SA? I'm not down with the lingo around here.

It depends. How ironically do you use the term 'Swine'?

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot
Arcanum was made by the same people who did Vampire: Bloodlines, which is probably the only decent World of Darkness property. I rank it up there with Alpha Protocol. And if I recall correctly, after Troika shut down an awful lot of that crew went on to join Obsidian.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Error 404 posted:

It depends. How ironically do you use the term 'Swine'?

Unironically? But like I prefer to refer to them as pigs. Or piggies if they're small and cute.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

paradoxGentleman posted:

Why do a lot of people in this forum hate ability scores?
It's specifically D&D 3.x+ (and D&Dalike) ability scores that are disliked because of the class + skills + ability scores combo. Your class dictates what ability scores you need to take to function, which in turn dictate what skills are worth taking. So there's this huge illusion of choice that really just gets in the way of making a Sorcerer who can actually Sorce, or, god forbid, a strong wizard or smart fighter. Unless your character falls within a few very specific archetypes you end up having to choose between your character being fun and your character being effective. Customisable systems are good, as are strict archetype systems, but a strict archetype system that looks customisable is the worst of both worlds.

This could be worth putting up with if ability scores in D&D actually brought anything to the table, but all they really do is shuffle some of your numbers around, meaning they add very little in exchange for actively getting in the way of the other character creation tools. Taking them out would allow for a much wider range of viable characters without removing any actual functionality, and if further number shuffling customisation is desirable there are other methods that would work better with the rest of the system.

Again, this is D&D (and some similar games) specific. Ability scores work fine in some other games (variable success based systems, systems like OD&D where they're basically just your skill list), but since 3.x they've just been getting in the way of the rest of the game.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Aug 23, 2015

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Potsticker posted:

Unironically? But like I prefer to refer to them as pigs. Or piggies if they're small and cute.

I meant when you refer to people playing elfgames.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Arcanum was made by the same people who did Vampire: Bloodlines, which is probably the only decent World of Darkness property. I rank it up there with Alpha Protocol. And if I recall correctly, after Troika shut down an awful lot of that crew went on to join Obsidian.

http://debofnight.andcuriouser.com

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Error 404 posted:

I meant when you refer to people playing elfgames.

Those are nerds.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

dwarf74 posted:

:shibe:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

dwarf74 posted:

That explains why no-one got cool by hating your posting

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Splicer posted:

That explains why no-one got cool by hating your posting

:shibe:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Ew.

I feel dirty.

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

You've just made my day so much better. I want to go back to the world of 2004

Serf
May 5, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

Accurate.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Gravy Train Robber posted:

You've just made my day so much better. I want to go back to the world of 2004

Glad to help!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I have no idea why games like 13th Age use 3-18 other than to give that D&D feels.

13th Age has that because of Jonathan Tweet. But it's OK because it means I can actually get players. It's loving dumb, but most fantasy RPG gamers won't touch a system unless they initially mistake it for a Pathfinder supplement.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

moths posted:

...most fantasy RPG gamers won't touch a system unless they initially mistake it for a Pathfinder supplement.

Where did you even find the market research documents for D&D Next?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

People apparently took guns to a Pokemon tournament. https://www.facebook.com/BostonPoliceDepartment?fref=nf

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So for my homebrewed "5e Retroclone" known as "The Next Project" I decided to do a 2nd slate of classes:siren:
After discussing ideas pertaining to classes, abilities and fluff with the people following the thread, a semi-finalized class list was created, and I've posted the 1st drafts for two of them.

A link to the "SRD" is in the OP of the same thread, and any discussion posts can go there, too (or in my PMs.) :buddy:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
There's nothing wrong with ability scores, even with having them alongside class, level, and skills. A bigger issue is that they're often implemented terribly and counterintuitively when that's the case, such as in D&D past 2e. But it's not exactly hard to see a game where you have two silos, one with class and level as the key elements and another with ability scores and skills as the key element. Ability scores also allow you to, if they're well-designed, sum up a character with a glance (D&D doesn't do this very well at all) even if they're cosmetic, which helps with roleplaying somewhat. You could also use them as the centerpiece of a damage system.

• Locked thread