Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Much more importantly, that's a fuckin' fat cat plushie behind Yoshi. I need this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

kirbysuperstar posted:

Much more importantly, that's a fuckin' fat cat plushie behind Yoshi. I need this.

YES!

Also, some slides:

'

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

quote:

We've been receiving requests to be able to instantly reach the maximum amount of Chakra stacks while not in battle; however, having an ability that would allow for this between fights in dungeons and such would be much too strong, so we’re still in the midst of making adjustments.

This is so bizarre to me. How is what happens outside of combat a power issue?

quote:

First we will be making adjustments to the effect duration and effect potency of Greased Lightning.

This though I hope is for the better; Monks could use a little push atm.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Good to see they're adding exp gain from the HLDR. Maybe it's a small thing but it's nice to know small things are getting attention too. :)

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I wish they would have translated the handful of stream questions he answered after the live letter. It seemed like he was saying something on the subject of tank accessories but I have no idea what (other than "please wait for a while" at the end).

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Fishious posted:

Ignoring how backwards it is to have a raid require the same tier gear it drops to kill it, if you are not approaching amazing at your job forget even doing it in full AF2. Groups that cleared FCoB in full i130 but before echo will be waiting for echo with this one, assuming they don't go gently caress it and disband before that happens.

Some DPS are already at i200 if they have been lucky and are in the most progressed groups. They still can't do it, and they are the best players out there.

Frankly, I don't think they will put Echo into Alex Savage. Why would they? Echo was there because there was actual plot and cutscenes of merit in Coil, so that people who couldn't put in Raid-level hours or weren't at Raid-level skill could at least see the content. Maybe pick up gear for glamours. Later they added some materials for desynth or crafting in the older content.

There is nothing in that paragraph which is not already covered or could be covered by Alex Normal. You don't need to make Alex Savage Easy Mode because that already exists.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
They should take a page from wow on raiding. There end bosses don't last more then 2-3 weeks of gear reset. They are extremely hard up to the point where the world first guild will kill it and it won't die by a second guild until next reset. Or is that not possible because ffxiv has way less bosses and has to stretch it out?

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Kibner posted:

Warriors use axes and rage a lot. Dark knights use swords and... I dunno, brood or maybe something cool (haven't seen their quest line, yet).

DRK quest line is amazing, easily trumping WAR and PLD. (Although I did get a kick out of the NPC in the PLD 60 quest voicing my thoughts of how colossally stupid the whole thing was.) It's also great to go back and read the completed quest log for the DRK quests after the fact (especially 45 and 50).

Kuai
May 25, 2004

Meiteron posted:

Frankly, I don't think they will put Echo into Alex Savage. Why would they? Echo was there because there was actual plot and cutscenes of merit in Coil, so that people who couldn't put in Raid-level hours or weren't at Raid-level skill could at least see the content. Maybe pick up gear for glamours. Later they added some materials for desynth or crafting in the older content.

There is nothing in that paragraph which is not already covered or could be covered by Alex Normal. You don't need to make Alex Savage Easy Mode because that already exists.

They can call it Y'shtola's blessing or something if you are such a lore nerd.

They will always nerf outdated content just so people can experience it. Why waste it on the top 5% of players once its been outdated? Just slap echo and nerf some abilities and call it a day.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Holyshoot posted:

They should take a page from wow on raiding. There end bosses don't last more then 2-3 weeks of gear reset. They are extremely hard up to the point where the world first guild will kill it and it won't die by a second guild until next reset. Or is that not possible because ffxiv has way less bosses and has to stretch it out?

Do you also want them to release like two patches a year or less?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Kuai posted:

They can call it Y'shtola's blessing or something if you are such a lore nerd.

They will always nerf outdated content just so people can experience it. Why waste it on the top 5% of players once its been outdated? Just slap echo and nerf some abilities and call it a day.

I don't think savage coil got echo but I could be misremembering.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I don't think savage coil got echo but I could be misremembering.

I believe you're correct.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
For any time-locked difficult chat, remember that not everyone is 60. Hell, there are people who joined a couple days ago that are barely even 10 or 20.

I joined a little before the HW launch, and that means I never get to play final coil at the "hardcore" original difficulty. Sure I could go in blind to the mechanics and intentionally undregear to i50ish, but that doesn't affect the nerfs to the dungeon itself or the fact that echo was added which means that it's impossible to even do the easy version through learning-by-wiping without it being even easier.

There's nothing wrong with letting content that's hard for the sake of hard actually stay difficult - maybe someone who joins 3 years from now wants the true savage experience

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Sentient Data posted:

For any time-locked difficult chat, remember that not everyone is 60. Hell, there are people who joined a couple days ago that are barely even 10 or 20.

I joined a little before the HW launch, and that means I never get to play final coil at the "hardcore" original difficulty. Sure I could go in blind to the mechanics and intentionally undregear to i50ish, but that doesn't affect the nerfs to the dungeon itself or the fact that echo was added which means that it's impossible to even do the easy version through learning-by-wiping without it being even easier.

There's nothing wrong with letting content that's hard for the sake of hard actually stay difficult - maybe someone who joins 3 years from now wants the true savage experience

You can click off the echo buff duder.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Wait, only 200k-ish people have cleared Alex normal? That seems really low. Maybe I just have unreasonable expectations of how many baseline competent people have reached the level cap in this game.

Nebilim
Oct 21, 2010

More people have won the Jumbo Cactpot than have cleared A3S after over a month. That's a pretty absurd difficulty jump from normal.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Klades posted:

Do you also want them to release like two patches a year or less?

We don't need 13+ boss raids, but honestly having 6~ fights instead of 4 would be nice, and let them raise the curve a bit more smoothly rather then that sharp drop between A2 and A3.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Thundarr posted:

Wait, only 200k-ish people have cleared Alex normal? That seems really low. Maybe I just have unreasonable expectations of how many baseline competent people have reached the level cap in this game.

It's not really that low when you consider the total number of subs and the amount of those subs that actually have i170+ characters in the first place.

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde
Lets be fair, Alex 2 isn't that much of a boss fight either. ;) I mean I enjoy it for the spectacle but the same applies for all of Alexander.

Saigyouji posted:

It's not really that low when you consider the total number of subs and the amount of those subs that actually have i170+ characters in the first place.

Source your Sub numbers please. I'm genuinely curious as to what FFXIV's are. I remember reading something on the lines of "you only need about 200k to be profitable" but I think that was at least five years ago.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Axle_Stukov posted:

We don't need 13+ boss raids, but honestly having 6~ fights instead of 4 would be nice, and let them raise the curve a bit more smoothly rather then that sharp drop between A2 and A3.

Pretty much this.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Axle_Stukov posted:

Bah who cares about the Odin set, TIN CAN TANKS RETURN!

Well, looks like that means the dancing Lalas in Maelstrom HQ will go back to tincan armor.

It was a nice change to actually see what they look like, for a bit at least.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Didn't it take around two months to clear Nael on savage second coil?

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Thyrork posted:

Lets be fair, Alex 2 isn't that much of a boss fight either. ;) I mean I enjoy it for the spectacle but the same applies for all of Alexander.

Source your Sub numbers please. I'm genuinely curious as to what FFXIV's are. I remember reading something on the lines of "you only need about 200k to be profitable" but I think that was at least five years ago.

From their financial reports from some time ago you could extrapolate that they had at most 1m subs but this was before the release of the game in china, korea and Heavensward.

Even if it was still at around 1m subs, I think 1/5 is actually a pretty good number for clearing alexander.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Surprised nobody has written a scraper to pull a dataset out of Lodestone.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Sentient Data posted:

Between clicking off echo and wearing gear of the max ilvl for whenever some given content came out, you can totally try to do this if you like. It's true that there's nothing you can do about baseline mechanics nerfs, but overall those have been fairly light outside of second coil (which, conveniently to the sort of person who wants to run things for the challenge rather than the reward, has an un-nerfed and more difficult savage option as well).

Personally, of course, I think the idea sounds like an amazingly colossal pain in the rear end and I have a lot of things I'd much rather do than spend many evenings or weeks wiping on old content to fulfill a self-imposed challenge of "beat it as if I were a progression raider at the time". But I'm glad it's an option for anyone who a. thinks differently and b. can find seven other people who also think differently.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Didn't it take around two months to clear Nael on savage second coil?

One. 2.3 hit on July 7th, Lucrezia downed it on August 9th.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Is Pharos Sirius HM going to be an EXDR dungeon?

Please give us Great Gubal Library HM, Yoship.

Griz
May 21, 2001

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Surprised nobody has written a scraper to pull a dataset out of Lodestone.

someone did, but it only shows total number of players and players with at least one skill at 50
https://jonathanprice.org/xiv/compare/

Potato Jones
Apr 9, 2007

Clever Betty

Killed By Death posted:

Probably a stupid question, but what set is that (if it is indeed a set)?
Not a stupid question since it's multi-slot armor and nobody uses it. It is the Heavy Darklight Set.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Cao Ni Ma posted:

If they drop ps3 support, I wonder if they'll do another world revamp to get the world deinstanced. Thought it would be more likely when still in 2.0 since it feels like 3.0 areas just have too much space between them.

They said that this was so that they could add more stuff to them later.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

would've been way higher if they included yoship and yoshi

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

If they included yoship those numbers would be for PBC alone.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'
That's nice, but where's the real important information, the number of times people PRAISE TANAKA.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

seiferguy posted:

Is Pharos Sirius HM going to be an EXDR dungeon?

Please give us Great Gubal Library HM, Yoship.
Yeah, all new dungeons are put into the EXDR, before being pushed down into the HLDR the patch after.

Gotta say I was still hoping they would just expand the EXDR and keep older 3.X dungeons in it as well with an ilvl-sync. Getting tired of seeing the same two dungeons once a day. No matter how good HM Pharos is eventually the same will happen.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Don't do the daily expert every day. Trials and frontline roulette are there as well to get esoterics. Toss in some normal alex runs and it's not at all hard to cap without a daily expert.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Trial roulette is a deathtrap because if you get Ravana or even Bismark or Garuda you will probably wipe a couple times. It's not worth the slight chance of getting Westwind imo.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Have they made any adjustments to make leveling other jobs easier or is it still gently caress you do dungeons

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
So the minion battle stuff seems to pretty much fall in line with the April Fools joke they posted: http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/pr/blog/000963.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Have they made any adjustments to make leveling other jobs easier or is it still gently caress you do dungeons
Heavensward fates are actually really efficient now, if that's your thing. I leveled my monk doing fates in-between dungeons, and I think I got as much exp per level in fates as I did the dungeons.

• Locked thread