Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Thanks Ants posted:

it looks like its covered in that fake leather stuff like a cheap japanese camera from the 1970s.

that poo poo owned tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Thanks Ants posted:

it looks like its covered in that fake leather stuff like a cheap japanese camera from the 1970s.

less like leatherette and more like crinkle finish which is the objective best

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

LastInLine posted:

that poo poo owned tho

agreed, krinkle finish steel was the best

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

what are you so confused about? the only people who unironically like balackberry hardware and would buy it also like sliders.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Thanks Ants posted:

looks like poo poo from this angle, your honour

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Nintendo Kid posted:

what are you so confused about? the only people who unironically like balackberry hardware and would buy it also like sliders.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Nintendo Kid posted:

"just wait til the White Castle Edition you guys! the entire company will turn right around when greasy fingered fucks learn how much easier it is to text with physical buttons!" :v:

as opposed to, you know... wiping your fingers with a loving napkin.

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.

Thanks Ants posted:

More like expensive blackberries bold circa 2010

Joe 30330
Dec 20, 2007

"We have this notion that if you're poor, you cannot do it. Poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids."

As the audience reluctantly began to applaud during the silence, Biden tried to fix his remarks.

"Wealthy kids, black kids, Asian kids -- no, I really mean it." Biden said.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/blackberry-rolls-out-new-round-of-job-cuts-1.3161807

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

god bless the transcontinental federal food tube network (the T-FFTN, or as the kids call it 'the fountain')

sliders straight from minnesota in 15 minutes

kentucky cheese grits on-tap

proper california burritos nationwide

a lot of chinese people died building it but goddamn was their sacrifice worth it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

duTrieux. posted:

god bless the transcontinental federal food tube network (the T-FFTN, or as the kids call it 'the fountain')

sliders straight from minnesota in 15 minutes

kentucky cheese grits on-tap

proper california burritos nationwide

a lot of chinese people died building it but goddamn was their sacrifice worth it

http://www.idlewords.com/2007/04/the_alameda-weehawken_burrito_tunnel.htm

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

i read this every time it's linked

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
Let's lay off more people and then buy another company to drag down to hell with us.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5745194-blackberry-signs-deal-to-buy-crisis-communications-software-company-athoc/

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

cool blackberry is gonna be in charge of our emergency response what could go wrong

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

gotta spend money to make money!

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Remember how RIM was going to start putting QNX in cars? About that....

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/hackers-remotely-kill-jeep-highway/

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
@evleaks has snuck out some pictures of "venice", blackberry's android phone

webm/gifs from some promotional video tat

yep... it's a slider. @evleaks claims that it'll land in november on all four major us carriers.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Yo reading Losing the Signal as recommended up thread somewhere and it's p good.

Like on one hand you have to admire how they managed to get the marketshare that they did.

But on the other hand you have to laugh as you see the very same hubris the big players showed that they took advantage of when getting big being their own downfall.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

The ego they have comes mainly from the echo chamber that is Waterloo. Like this story which was on the front page in last week's Saturday paper.

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5799120-how-blackberry-changed-everything/

When the Z10 was released, the city but up banners everywhere and local businesses had "YOU DID IT BLACKBERRY!" on their signs.

The city still treats the company like a savior but in reality the only people that still work there are one who can't get a job anywhere else or have been there so long they would never get paid the same again. Some of their L3 support guys make around $125k a year.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Bonzo posted:

When the Z10 was released, the city but up banners everywhere and local businesses had "YOU DID IT BLACKBERRY!" on their signs.

aww its like cheering on a retarded kid

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

pram posted:

aww its like cheering on a retarded kid

Yes. I compared it to a kid who does really well in high school, gets a full ride to a top university but drops out due to partying too much, then comes home and "graduates" from a for profit college and everyone tells him how proud they are.

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!
the blackberry android might actually be okay if it didn't come with any software fuckery on top of android like every other non-nexus android does.

but it's going to have software fuckery because blackberry.

what i really want is a hardware slider phone running ios with a keyboard more like my old treo 680. i texted like a mofo on that thing.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

There Will Be Penalty posted:

what i really want is a hardware slider phone running ios with a keyboard more like my old treo 680. i texted like a mofo on that thing.

you're never going to get this because it is objectively stupid. people can operate the ios software keyboard as fast as the crappy shrunken ones they used to put in phones. there is no advantage to the hardware keyboard.

it was necessary once upon a time because phone chips were not fast enough to work with multitouch input and infer intent. that time is past.

i suspect blackberry's remaining consumer business is slackjawed yokels who want a hardware keyboard more than they care about whether their smartphone actually works

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i suspect blackberry's remaining consumer business is slackjawed yokels who want a hardware keyboard more than they care about whether their smartphone actually works

certainly the case

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

The Kins posted:

webm/gifs from some promotional video tat

yep... it's a slider. @evleaks claims that it'll land in november on all four major us carriers.

this reminds me of the pre and it's sad it didn't come out before rotor's passing, he might have loved it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

all the hardware quality of whatever far-eastern oem is still prepared to offer blackberry a line of credit, and the software quality of the android os. a winning combination.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
rip qnx i guess

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
qnx is alive and well where it has always been, in cars and power plants and factories. it's BBOS10 that's dead.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

qnx is alive and well where it has always been, in cars and power plants and factories. it's BBOS10 that's dead.
i presume most or all of BBRYs value is because someday theyll sell qnx off for a couple of bllion dollars

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

people can operate the ios software keyboard as fast as the crappy shrunken ones they used to put in phones. there is no advantage to the hardware keyboard.

my hatred of composing emails longer than two lines on a screen vs a hw keyboard back in the day begs to differ

of course the screen is saving people from my lovely rambling emails so maybe humanity wins in the end?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

The Kins posted:

:heysexy: "We heard those Samsung Edge phones are really popular, what if we gave our phone, wait for it... two edges?"

:byodood: "BUY MORE BBRY STOCK RIGHT NOW! WE'RE COMING BACK BABY!"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i don't think it has the Edge gimmick, just a slightly rounded screen.

also they'll now be basically the only android OEM with a keyboard. i honestly think it could be good for them.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FMguru posted:

i presume most or all of BBRYs value is because someday theyll sell qnx off for a couple of bllion dollars

bbry's market cap is 3.9 billion

they have 1.2 billion cash on hand, 1.6 billion in short term investments

so 50%+ of their value is just cash they have lying around (or expect soon to)

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
my father in laws blackberry finally kicked it and i swooped in to give him an iPhone 4s as a temp replacement, hoping it sticks

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
i was getting my health card renewed this morning and i saw a lady with an actual bb cheese phone

she was talking on it and it was as big as her head

i was going to ask her if she worked for rim but my number got called before her phonecall ended

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

hahaha they bought good technology

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

good technology
the most ironically named company on earth

and isnt good was a cobbled together bes wannabe that lets you manage non-bb phones like treos and winmobiles? at least thats what i remember from using it back in the mid-2000s

bb spending money to buy a bad clone of their own flagship product somehow makes perfect sense

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

qirex posted:

hahaha they bought good technology

For $425 Million even.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

FMguru posted:

the most ironically named company on earth

and isnt good was a cobbled together bes wannabe that lets you manage non-bb phones like treos and winmobiles? at least thats what i remember from using it back in the mid-2000s

bb spending money to buy a bad clone of their own flagship product somehow makes perfect sense

I'm not a computer janitor but I hear good is one of the most popular management software for android deployment

• Locked thread