Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

Help Im Alive posted:

the (painful) Pauly Shore episode
Didn't you learn your lesson from that time? EEEH WRONG it was actually a really GOOD episode and NOT painful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Does the howl app get rid of HH ads because those are the only ones I listen to

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
What was the LBJ/presidential blowjob episode of I4H?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
"The thing I remember most about September 11th was Jon Stewart talking about how he used to be able to see the Twin Towers from his apartment, and now they're gone..."
"Yeah, he said 'Good riddance to bad rubbish.' "

GREAT Hollywood Handbook this week.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

JethroMcB posted:

"The thing I remember most about September 11th was Jon Stewart talking about how he used to be able to see the Twin Towers from his apartment, and now they're gone..."

Also the Dave Matthews Band jukeboxes musical

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

JethroMcB posted:

I have soooo much looove for this week's HH.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

JethroMcB posted:

Millennials have no idea what it was like living in the pre-K Cup world.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Well, so, buuuut, what if news we think is real... Is that joke?

Some of the guys saying "I'm real news..."

"Tonight, the news" biggest joke... even more?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Tacier posted:

I have soooo much looove for this week's HH.

Layoffs
Bailouts
BROKEN DREAMS

Yes. My generation, collectively, we chose these things. I hope that movie is a big success that gets big box office.

Power of Pecota posted:

Also the Dave Matthews Band jukeboxes musical

This episode also got me really angry at people I considered good friends 15 years ago who told me I would probably really like DMB

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Millennials have no idea what it was like living in the pre-K Cup world.

Which is why H.R. K-Cuppenstuff needs a series order.

JethroMcB fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Aug 22, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

JethroMcB posted:

Layoffs
Bailouts
BROKEN DREAMS

sooo much love

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

"You can watch my show, free - you will have to sit through ads"
"-but can I PAY Julie, and if I pay does that mean I LOSE the ads?!"

Brock Samson
May 13, 2003

I let you know me, see me. I gave you a rare gift, but you didn't want it.

Imagine the skills and practice required to bring a crowd all the way from 125 to 128bpm over the course of a show!

Also https://twitter.com/whocharted/status/634846376371843072

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

"You can watch my show, free - you will have to sit through ads"
"-but can I PAY Julie, and if I pay does that mean I LOSE the ads?!"
this had me crying laughing.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I can't believe I waited so long to listen to I4H. I'm on a 6 hour road trip and it's probably the only thing keeping me sane right now.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Hardcore Game of Thrones is perfect. Holy poo poo did the host nail Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. The voice, the mannerisms, the questionable metaphors, it goes on and on. And now I don't need to read the books! I think it's specific to the Howl app, so keeping multiple episodes downloaded is impossible though.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Analytic Engine posted:

Hardcore Game of Thrones is perfect. Holy poo poo did the host nail Dan Carlin's Hardcore History. The voice, the mannerisms, the questionable metaphors, it goes on and on. And now I don't need to read the books! I think it's specific to the Howl app, so keeping multiple episodes downloaded is impossible though.

Yeah the vague description of that podcast alone was almost enough for me to get the app

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
How is never not funny working? Do you have to subscribe to both howl and the players club to get everything?

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Brock Samson posted:

Imagine the skills and practice required to bring a crowd all the way from 125 to 128bpm over the course of a show!

Also https://twitter.com/whocharted/status/634846376371843072

yessssss!!!!

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one

a pipe smoking dog posted:

How is never not funny working? Do you have to subscribe to both howl and the players club to get everything?

It's not a part of Howl Premium if that's what you mean, but the (current season?) Earwolf eps aren't behind the Howl paywall.

I would be surprised if they joined up with Howl but maybe?

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Looks like the UCB is gearing up for another TV show. UCB Sunset was mysteriously closed down last week but the schedule this week is 5 straight days of taping for a pilot.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
It sounds very variety show-y.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I am in favor of that being a thing. Very much so.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Julie Klausner's episode of HH was amazing (I'm just catchin' up)

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

There's a really silly flaw with the Howl website right now. For the Wild Horses Perspective podcast, I was going into the source code and doing ctrl-f 'mp3' to find the URL of each episode so I could download the mp3s directly because I didn't want to stream them. Then I realised I wasn't actually logged in??? So basically there's nothing stopping someone just going to the browser version of Howl and downloading all the Howl exclusives/specials/stand up albums without an account

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

There's a really silly flaw with the Howl website right now. For the Wild Horses Perspective podcast, I was going into the source code and doing ctrl-f 'mp3' to find the URL of each episode so I could download the mp3s directly because I didn't want to stream them. Then I realised I wasn't actually logged in??? So basically there's nothing stopping someone just going to the browser version of Howl and downloading all the Howl exclusives/specials/stand up albums without an account

It's not just Wild Horses, it's everything on the site. I figured it out last night and had a good laugh.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

ArtVandelay posted:

It's not just Wild Horses, it's everything on the site. I figured it out last night and had a good laugh.

Yeah I tested it with Sprezzatura right after that. Basically anyone that has even a tiny bit of knowledge about HTML can get everything on the site for free

There have been a lot of mistakes with the Howl launch but man

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

Website security coming soon

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Yeah I tested it with Sprezzatura right after that. Basically anyone that has even a tiny bit of knowledge about HTML can get everything on the site for free

There have been a lot of mistakes with the Howl launch but man

I'm going to pay for Howl, but I work in a building where I get no signal, so i've just downloaded all the Wild Horses: Perspectives and put them on to my (android) phone. I'm also going to do it with Superego.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Is there not a good way to just set this type of thing up with RSS feeds? Serious question, I don't know much about how RSS feeds work. I'd much prefer just having a premium RSS feed that I could use with my Howl username & password in the apps I already use. Hell, I don't even want the no-ad option for shows like HH, Spontaneanation and CBB as they're usually entertaining, I just want my stuff all in a central location.

freeipods
Jul 3, 2007

That still doesn't sound as bad as MaxFun's paid content, which I managed to stumble upon while using the site's own search bar.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

GobiasIndustries posted:

Is there not a good way to just set this type of thing up with RSS feeds? Serious question, I don't know much about how RSS feeds work. I'd much prefer just having a premium RSS feed that I could use with my Howl username & password in the apps I already use. Hell, I don't even want the no-ad option for shows like HH, Spontaneanation and CBB as they're usually entertaining, I just want my stuff all in a central location.

Wrestling Observer is run by a man that goes to the apple store whenever he needs tech help, and they are able to make premium RSS feeds work. Earwolf could easily make them but I am betting they decided not to for business reasons. How can they change how you experience content when you just use a feed!

Greggy
Apr 14, 2007

Hands raw with high fives.
I think the idea behind going with their own app was so that people who know nothing about podcasting or how it works currently can just get on the app store and get Howl without having to know anything about RSS feeds or how to make password-protected feeds work. I hope they get feeds going eventually for those of us who know how podcasting works and would prefer to use the apps we use for all our other shows (and they say that is part of their "roadmap" but who knows how far down that road), but I can see where they're coming from.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.

Help Im Alive posted:

Haha jesus this launch has been such poo poo.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

Greggy posted:

I think the idea behind going with their own app was so that people who know nothing about podcasting or how it works currently can just get on the app store and get Howl without having to know anything about RSS feeds or how to make password-protected feeds work. I hope they get feeds going eventually for those of us who know how podcasting works and would prefer to use the apps we use for all our other shows (and they say that is part of their "roadmap" but who knows how far down that road), but I can see where they're coming from.
That's my peeve too. "On the roadmap" and coming "soon" could just mean they wrote it down on a post-it in a meeting.

also lmao that mp3 thing

The Berzerker posted:

Julie Klausner's episode of HH was amazing (I'm just catchin' up)
defo one of my top tens. I was bussin up hard

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

soggybagel posted:

Haha jesus this launch has been such poo poo.

It's really pretty hilarious how much they missed the mark for their launch.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Help Im Alive posted:

Idk, there seems to be some sorta key baked in to the url. For example, here's one for The Complete Woman: http://howl.7408.audio-stream.cdn-s...Key-Pair-Id=...

The link expires a year from the time the page was loaded, and the sig seems to change on reload. So there seems to be some sorta system around it, but I'm also sure you could share those tokenized links with friends. And I bet they'll eventually rate limit you, saying "hey, someone shouldn't be listening to this same mp3 100 times with the same token"

e: nm, this is awful architecture. http://stagebloc.com/home picks up on the howl.fm cookie it seems.

ManoliIsFat fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 25, 2015

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

HH does some pretty hilarious mentions of Howl in today's episode

Spraynard Kruger
May 8, 2007

The JavaScript for the page isn't even obscured, it's pretty trivially easy to remove the paid membership checks and enable the web player.

This appears to be brought to us by the same folks who wrote the Earwolf store, which is served over unencrypted HTTP, so I guess I'm not too surprised.

ElCondemn
Aug 7, 2005

Spraynard Kruger posted:

The JavaScript for the page isn't even obscured, it's pretty trivially easy to remove the paid membership checks and enable the web player.

This appears to be brought to us by the same folks who wrote the Earwolf store, which is served over unencrypted HTTP, so I guess I'm not too surprised.

This is the kind of poo poo that happens when non-technical people are put in charge of technical problems. Either way I think it doesn't matter too much, pirates are going to pirate, there's little you can do to prevent people who want to do it from getting it for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006

Let's talk Football.
This is why it was dumb to put Aukerman as this living breathing FAQ machine in the ear wolf forums. Because anything remotely technical he'd just say I don't know I think they're working on it.