Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!
Dual stat belts are garbage in my experience. They should only ever be used until you can get a single stat belt. Even with that you will get more than a few drops that aren't meant for you. I estimate the dual skill belts dropped something I for the skills listed maybe 20% of the time but the single skill belts dropped 80%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I dunno, it seems that the majority of my drops are either Unarmed and/or Mentalism with the belt I have.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Yeah, if I'm not trying to get the perfect piece of archery boots or some crap like that, I usually found it worthwhile to use a dual belt with my target secondary on it. As it stands, in most cases you're going to be better off with the rare mixed gear that fits your two skills anyway.. many mods are limited to specific pieces of equipment, and you might find that the transformative mods like adding a stun or aoe to a skill show up on the same piece of equipment, and you're best piece might be a pair of boots with 2 such mods from two different skill sets.

But it's been a while, and minmaxing is for a game that's done at 50, 50 is mid-level once they roll out the rest of this baby.

lethargical
Sep 21, 2010

Lethargy at it's best.
This game is everything I have been looking for in an MMO for sometime. Put 100$ in the pot for Kickstarter, hope they get to the 60k mark for vampires!

What a refreshing experience, it feels a lot like a spiritual successor to EQ

Inimicul
Oct 14, 2006

Shenanigans!

lethargical posted:

This game is everything I have been looking for in an MMO for sometime. Put 100$ in the pot for Kickstarter, hope they get to the 60k mark for vampires!

What a refreshing experience, it feels a lot like a spiritual successor to EQ

Don't forget, the devs have a unique sense of humor. This is a quote from an earlier thread about undead:

Citan posted:

There's a bone-form planned for late-level Necromancers, which is technically an undead form, but nothing too exciting in terms of crazy rules.

I'm hoping we have time to do Vampirism too, and possibly others like lichdom, with more intricate rules. I agree that doing something like "you die if you go outside during the day" isn't really playable. Though catching on fire during the day sounds hilarious. But it'd need to be weak enough that you could overcome it with equipment or fire-resistance potions etc. You'd also probably have a damage debuff outdoors in the sun, and maybe be repulsive to some NPCs.

My current plan for the whole "blood drinking" thing is to do it offline. (Your "hang out" is always "prowl for blood in a psychotic frenzy", which means you can't ever do NPCs' hang out options... that's just a weakness of the skill set.)

After you log off, a monster version of your character can appear around town at night, trying to kill hapless players. (It would look like you, but not necessarily have all your stats and equipment... probably would scale depending on where you logged off.) If your monstrous version gets killed, you'd log in with a Headache debuff or something. If it managed to kill somebody, you get a buff when you log in instead.

This might have other effects, too. For instance, sometimes NPCs might give you the cold shoulder some days because "I saw what you did last night... you're a monster!" and you have to use Vampiric Hypnotism to be able to interact with them again. There's lots of places to take it... depending on what ends up seeming fun.

But I don't actually know if/when we'll get around to undead forms... it may be something that ends up in an expansion after the game ships.

No official word on whether or not you could take off your armor so you would be naked while you ran around murdering other players.

lethargical
Sep 21, 2010

Lethargy at it's best.

Inimicul posted:

Don't forget, the devs have a unique sense of humor. This is a quote from an earlier thread about undead:

No official word on whether or not you could take off your armor so you would be naked while you ran around murdering other players.

That's amazing!

hahaha..

Please please get to 60k ><

Hakkeshu
Aug 10, 2005

Blinging in the Wastes!
Just pledged $50 and got to the 55k goal, I like being able to level up my skills while being offline with the VIP sub.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

I haven't paid attention to this game since the thread was originally posted. They're adding PVP? What kind? I was hoping there could be one sandbox MMO that didn't get taken over by rear end in a top hat griefers for loving once in my life.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

AlmightyBob posted:

I haven't paid attention to this game since the thread was originally posted. They're adding PVP? What kind? I was hoping there could be one sandbox MMO that didn't get taken over by rear end in a top hat griefers for loving once in my life.

At the moment there's a single PvP area and a seasonal recipe (Spooky Punch) you can use to opt into PvP for a few minutes. In the future they plan on adding duels. No global PvP is planned, though if there's enough interest they might make a separate PvP server.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

senrath posted:

At the moment there's a single PvP area and a seasonal recipe (Spooky Punch) you can use to opt into PvP for a few minutes. In the future they plan on adding duels. No global PvP is planned, though if there's enough interest they might make a separate PvP server.

OK cool. I'm fine with all that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

AlmightyBob posted:

A shameful goon.

Cathair
Jan 7, 2008

AlmightyBob posted:

Angela Christine posted:

A shameful goon.

I was just about to say, the rear end in a top hat griefer goons might get all up in your grill for saying this. :v:

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013
I really hope PVP is a focus one day considering PVP is a huge driving force in a sandbox-type game. To be fair, I never played Asheron's Call so I've never experienced a PVE sandbox. I was about to say that I played Pre-CU Galaxies, but even that had a relatively large focus on PVP content.

lethargical
Sep 21, 2010

Lethargy at it's best.
Well they hit their 60k stretch mark!

I wonder if they will implement another or just leave it at that.

Regardless I'm excited to play as a vampire.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Alexander DeLarge posted:

I really hope PVP is a focus one day considering PVP is a huge driving force in a sandbox-type game. To be fair, I never played Asheron's Call so I've never experienced a PVE sandbox. I was about to say that I played Pre-CU Galaxies, but even that had a relatively large focus on PVP content.

If it becomes a focus that's going to be way down the line, as they've repeatedly said they have no intention of making it a focus.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

lethargical posted:

Well they hit their 60k stretch mark!

I wonder if they will implement another or just leave it at that.

Regardless I'm excited to play as a vampire.

There's now an "unofficial" 65k stretch goal so that everyone can have a party pack when the campaign ends, and to make sure that when pledges fail at the last minute we don't drop below 60k.

Unfortunately, I can't really justify giving more. The next tier up for me is double my current pledge.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Same. I can't justify throwing another hundred dollars into the pot for the ability to grant a title to people.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I've been following this thread for... some reason? Should I just bite the bullet and try playing this thing?

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

Saxophone posted:

I've been following this thread for... some reason? Should I just bite the bullet and try playing this thing?

It's free, so... yeah?

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

30.5 Days posted:

It's free, so... yeah?

And not for much longer either, I think the devs said the doors are closing about a week after kickstarter ends (since they have to get game keys or whatever out to all the KS backers first). So if you're going to try before you buy, now is the time.

Wolpertinger
Feb 16, 2011

mushroom_spore posted:

And not for much longer either, I think the devs said the doors are closing about a week after kickstarter ends (since they have to get game keys or whatever out to all the KS backers first). So if you're going to try before you buy, now is the time.

Wait what? 40$ buy in AND a monthly fee? That's.. excessive.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Wolpertinger posted:

Wait what? 40$ buy in AND a monthly fee? That's.. excessive.

What? It's buy2play with an optional subscription that allows offline leveling (requires resources) and gives you some currency for cosmetics.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

What? It's buy2play with an optional subscription that allows offline leveling (requires resources) and gives you some currency for cosmetics.

And double the character slots. It's pretty reasonable IMO.

You can still get the game at a discount if you buy into the Kickstarter.

mushroom_spore fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Aug 23, 2015

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

mushroom_spore posted:

And double the character slots. It's pretty reasonable IMO.

You can still get the game at a discount if you buy into the Kickstarter.

I don't see the point of character slots if you can be good at everything on a single character though. I've never been a fan of alts so I'm glad they're doing this.

tuscany
Apr 13, 2007

all the good MMOs of our day required an up front purchase along with a monthly fee. i'd rather pay the premium for a quality game rather than obsess over playing for free

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

I don't see the point of character slots if you can be good at everything on a single character though.

Technically, you can't, when you start bringing curses into it. Even just having lycanthropy can be a real inconvenience if you wanted to play sword/psych during a full moon game session, and Citan's been talking about requiring animal-form curses like spider to have to become incurable if they want to progress the skill past 50 and get various unique abilities (like spiders scurrying across water).

And we have no idea how vampirism will work. I wouldn't be surprised if they stop allowing werewolves to have other animal curses (and no vampirism either/no vampires doing the lycanthrope questline).

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

So, the admins have been spawning in tons of super bosses for people to fight over as celebration. It's been chaotic as all hell.

As to character slots, every race will have race specific things, some things are permanent choices (Lycanthropy, Druid, Vampirism) that impact everything you can do, and supposedly the animal curses will become 100% permanent if you level them past 50.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

senrath posted:

So, the admins have been spawning in tons of super bosses for people to fight over as celebration. It's been chaotic as all hell.

As to character slots, every race will have race specific things, some things are permanent choices (Lycanthropy, Druid, Vampirism) that impact everything you can do, and supposedly the animal curses will become 100% permanent if you level them past 50.

I'm sad I missed all the super bosses, because apparently they were dropping pretty good loot and my gear is still pretty meh.

I did at least manage to have the admin give me super speed, which lead to a nice 30 minutes of flying around Serbule knocking out surveys.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Nemo2342 posted:

I'm sad I missed all the super bosses, because apparently they were dropping pretty good loot and my gear is still pretty meh.

I did at least manage to have the admin give me super speed, which lead to a nice 30 minutes of flying around Serbule knocking out surveys.

Some were. Sadly the most dangerous ones, the Super Droaches, gave poo poo all because Droaches give poo poo all. The Spiderlords and Manticores up now give decent stuff, though.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Now, are they dumping the current build and characters, and starting a fresh load for the kickstarter alpha/beta, or is it going to carry over existing characters?

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

glug posted:

Now, are they dumping the current build and characters, and starting a fresh load for the kickstarter alpha/beta, or is it going to carry over existing characters?

I thought they'd only wipe gear if necessary. Progression is supposed to stick around throughout, even after launch.

mushroom_spore posted:

Technically, you can't, when you start bringing curses into it. Even just having lycanthropy can be a real inconvenience if you wanted to play sword/psych during a full moon game session, and Citan's been talking about requiring animal-form curses like spider to have to become incurable if they want to progress the skill past 50 and get various unique abilities (like spiders scurrying across water).

And we have no idea how vampirism will work. I wouldn't be surprised if they stop allowing werewolves to have other animal curses (and no vampirism either/no vampires doing the lycanthrope questline).
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I wasn't aware curses were so influential in the game design.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

glug posted:

No wipes are planned until before full launch next year, when items and money will be wiped.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

I thought they'd only wipe gear if necessary. Progression is supposed to stick around throughout, even after launch.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. I wasn't aware curses were so influential in the game design.

As far as I can tell curses are the real character choice. Races don't seem to do nearly as much and there are no classes per se. But I've just started.

I'm just starting my guy sword/shields with psych because it has a full bar without requiring me to unequip my shield. Where do I grind low level foraging?

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
So this games going buy to play soon? JW because of the backer rewards. I'll back if it'll save me money down the road because I'm definitely gonna play it but I'm not sure because I thought it was f2p.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
Dang, I've been playing shootmans and missed the fun

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Nevvy Z posted:

As far as I can tell curses are the real character choice. Races don't seem to do nearly as much and there are no classes per se. But I've just started.

I'm just starting my guy sword/shields with psych because it has a full bar without requiring me to unequip my shield. Where do I grind low level foraging?

Races don't do much yet. More racial things are planned for later.

THE PWNER posted:

So this games going buy to play soon? JW because of the backer rewards. I'll back if it'll save me money down the road because I'm definitely gonna play it but I'm not sure because I thought it was f2p.

Uh, the Kickstarter's already over, and yes, the game's buy to play. Free access ends on the 30th. It'll be on Steam Early Access in about a month, if things go as planned.

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

senrath posted:

No wipes are planned until before full launch next year, when items and money will be wiped.

And I think there's been vague statements that some number of "economy-related" skills may be included in the economy wipe if necessary, but we don't know what. For the most part though you can expect to keep your character, you'll just lose some small pieces by the time full release happens.

Nevvy Z posted:

Somewhere in the blurry mass of dev posts and comments I've seen were statements to the effect of "races will have more mechanics they can unlock, someday." So that'll change.

Also for your low level foraging, apples spawn around Serbule along with whatever the lowest level flowers are. You'll be able to pick the grapes after a bit. Then I think you'll have to move on to harvesting in Eltibule. Then Sun Vale, though the guava stage is awkward now, it seems like their spawns were nerfed to hell from when I leveled my other character.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
Be nice if it launches with an ability to one-time change your characters race and remove some perma-skills.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

mushroom_spore posted:

And I think there's been vague statements that some number of "economy-related" skills may be included in the economy wipe if necessary, but we don't know what. For the most part though you can expect to keep your character, you'll just lose some small pieces by the time full release happens.

He's also not sure what to do about NPC favor, so there might be a full/partial wipe of that as well at some point. That's the part I really dread, based on how much time/money I've spent trying to get the vendors in Serbule to be useful to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mushroom_spore
May 9, 2004

by R. Guyovich

glug posted:

Be nice if it launches with an ability to one-time change your characters race and remove some perma-skills.

Citan did say we'd get a free appearance change in alpha once there are more options, so IMO it's not unreasonable that we will get more "get old characters up to date for new features" options. ex: if vampire turns out to be mutually exclusive with lycanthropy.

Folks who picked druid are probably out of luck getting that removed, since the devs did put a giant warning sign on the druid altar, but if we get a new skill that druids *can't* take I can see that happening just so more people can test whatever the new skill is.

Nemo2342 posted:

He's also not sure what to do about NPC favor, so there might be a full/partial wipe of that as well at some point. That's the part I really dread, based on how much time/money I've spent trying to get the vendors in Serbule to be useful to me.

It might not be too bad. We'd be going into a favor wipe with a lot of other skills at high rank, so it'd be trivially easy to replace a whole bunch of stuff that was a struggle for a newbie.