Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

3. Even though it's closed ballot, some members are scared of reprisals. One excused himself to the bathroom and then drove off.

Kentucky Fried Chickenshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
fun trump fact, in 2000 he joined the reform party and left it stating "The Reform Party is a total mess! You have Buchanan, a right winger, and you have Fulani, a Communist, and they have merged.... I don't know what you have!"

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

For those doing the PredictIt thing, someone just bought up all the "Biden is Running" Yeses, you can get "No" in the 30 cents range.

https://www.predictit.org/Home/SingleOption?contractId=523

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Shakugan posted:

This is actually a pretty serious and immediate issue right now, a court recently struck down part of the system (OPT extension) that international STEM graduates have been using to get work authorization, meaning it's very possible that many graduates will be sent home next year. I go to an Ivy and people here are freaking out. A friend recently graduated from Berkeley with a PhD and is looking at having to go back to China.

It's nuts, a great portion of the literal smartest people in the world come to the US for college and get educated here. Keeping them here is good for the economy, jobs, innovation etc. Have fun watching America fall far behind in R&D as it experiences a serious brain drain if it's not reversed.

A lot of people think it'll be difficult to see overturned because it's an election year, and saying "maybe we should do something for foreigners who are educated in the US" doesn't play well to the electorate (because explaining why it's a net positive for the country as a whole can't be condensed into a sound byte).

Our great golden hope is... Donald Trump?

*kills self

Soundbite? How about : "We must allow those bright and talented individuals to repay us for their world-class educations through becoming Americans and joining us in furthering the destiny of this great nation."

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Envisioning the ultimate Trump solution: Replace birthright citizenship with the free market. $250,000 for citizenship, assuming you pass a background check, come from a "reputable" country, and graduate from a US institution. Let the market decide who is American.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

It's a dangerous double standard, but the way to fix it is to return to Ellis Island style immigration: you want in, you show up at the border, they do a disease check and a fingerprint check, if you pass they let you in, you can stay.

And the reason we don't have that? Well, there's the jobs argument, but that breaks down in the face of reality -- for the vast majority of Americans, our current system is even worse from a jobs perspective, because those immigrants are coming in anyway, they're just working under the table, which makes it even harder for you to compete with them (unless you're a very high wage / high skill worker, like a programmer, where immigration restrictions really do help you).

There are two real reasons we don't have Ellis Island style immigration any more. The first is that the Republican base is too afraid of the Other to let the foreign hordes / huddled masses into the country legally. The second is that that business and lobbying interests want to preserve an underclass of quasi-legal laborers who don't have the protections of citizenship or legal status. Of the two, the second is the more amenable to change -- hence discussion of things like work vis

as, etc. -- but the real barrier is the widespread, virulent racism of the Republican voter base.

if this is such a good and viable idea, why do even third world countries not have such a system (let alone developed ones)?

Hint: it's not Republicans and corporations!

Vox Nihili posted:

Envisioning the ultimate Trump solution: Replace birthright citizenship with the free market. $250,000 for citizenship, assuming you pass a background check, come from a "reputable" country, and graduate from a US institution. Let the market decide who is American.

You joke, but you can basically outright buy residency in the US and most other developed countries via an investor visa already.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Aug 22, 2015

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

Pompous Rhombus posted:

if this is such a good and viable idea, why do even third world countries not have such a system (let alone developed ones)?

Hint: it's not Republicans and corporations!

These are D&D posters, and therefore leftists. Actually acknowledging why things don't work or changing their opinions based on past events is just not something that you can reasonably expect. :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Golden Bee posted:

"We need engineers!" is hocum that means "we want engineers at fry-cook wages!"

"Our industry-wide wage fixing cartel was busted so now we just want to bring in foreign labor to depress wages that way instead."

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Dahn posted:

The US is letting a lot of people in "legally", especially in the last 25 years. Here are some numbers.

http://web.mit.edu/cis/fpi_immigration.html

Yeah, I'm guessing you don't have personal experience with the legal immigration system.

And that's not even including lawyers fees, which routinely rack up tens of thousands of dollars for each applicant.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing you don't have personal experience with the legal immigration system.

And that's not even including lawyers fees, which routinely rack up tens of thousands of dollars for each applicant.

How does it compare to other countries?

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Reddit has helpfully advised me that I look like a "15 year old fortnite boi"

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Does a really great job of breaking down immigration.

Favorite part: ...business and lobbying interests want to preserve an underclass of quasi-legal laborers who don't have the protections of citizenship or legal status.

And guess what (this is not directed to Alloy) candidate is the only one talking at all about guest worker protections. :bernin:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Of the top of my head (and please correct me if I'm wrong), Canada, Scandanavia (which had the depressing honor of actually welcoming more Iraqi refugees than we did, and not even by per capita) are way more welcoming to refugees and immigrants. A quick thing I dug up:

quote:

AS A matter of national policy, Canada actively solicits immigrants and has done so for years. The public supports this and the default political assumption is in support of continued immigration. According to a recent poll, only a third of Canadians believe immigration is more of a problem than an opportunity, far fewer than any other country included in the survey. Rather, Canadians are concerned about "brain waste" and ensuring that foreign credentials are appropriately recognised and rewarded in the job market? Being an immigrant is also no barrier to being a proper Canadian; in parliamentary elections earlier this month, 11% of the people elected were not native. This warm embrace isn't just a liberal abstraction; 20% of Canadians are foreign-born.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/05/immigration

quote:

Consider the simplicity of the Canadian immigration system. To enter Canada through its federal skilled worker program, applicants are ranked on a points system. One hundred points are possible, and 67 are required to get an entry visa. Included are English and French language skills (28 possible points), education (25 points), experience (15 points), adaptability (10 points), age (12 points), and job offers (10 points).

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/in-immigration-us-loses-out-to-canada-2013-10-18

This is also the system they have in Australia (i believe), and New Zealand. Right now (to paraphrase someone else's post from pages ago), we have a policy that doesn't make sense if we're a self-centered, opportunistic nation, and one that doesn't make sense if we're a compassionate, suffering relieving one. We've got the worst of both worlds.

Deep Hurting
Jan 19, 2006

sullat posted:

Looks like an ad for Pfizer's new men's health supplements. "Ask your doctor if Jeb! is right for you! Symptoms may include flagging support, loss of charisma, confusion, and blackhand's syndrome. Not FDA approved."

"As always, 'Cheating Death' is brought to you by Prescott Pharmaceuticals. Prescott Pharmaceuticals: Yeah, we worked with the Nazis, but only for the money."

"That's why Prescott Pharmaceuticals is proud to introduce the latest breakthrough in campaign performance-enhancing drugs: VacsaJeb! Side effects of VacsaJeb! include chronic Iraq pain, lingering Schaivo, and Trumpitis."

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

For those doing the PredictIt thing, someone just bought up all the "Biden is Running" Yeses, you can get "No" in the 30 cents range.

I hope he doesn't run so that guy loses his money lmao.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Brannock posted:

Hot off the presses, the Donald turns his eyes onto the coming sandstorm:

I'd like to see a response akin to...

"Bernie acted like an adult. As a result he's being rewarded with increased name recognition and support from the black community."

Does that fit into 180 characters?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

In a modern twist, it's Biden hedging his bets on himself

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Crowd gathers for a Bernie rally in North Charleston, South Carolina.

Fun fact: North Charleston is 38% white, 47% African American, 10% Latino.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Some of those residence grounds like adult non-spouse relative of a citizen may not be possible at all, you just can't get a residence permit on that basis, but on the other hand if you do qualify for a permit the process takes months, not years, and the fees are cheaper. And just following the immigration thread in A/T, the American immigration bureaucracy is far more Kafkaesque in practice than, say, Scandinavian countries.

I also don't think any other first world country uses nationality-specific quotas or work visa quotas like the US, but I could be wrong. I just haven't heard of anyone else using them. Also the H-1B visa is a pretty American beast. Most first world countries let you stay and turn into a permanent resident and finally a citizen if you are there for employment.

So I'm not surprised at all that there are so many illegal immigrants in the US - the legal route is slow, expensive and draconian, and obviously the economy has a screaming need for immigrant labour, which other countries manage to mostly answer by legal immigration means.

"First world" includes Japan though and the Japanese system is insane.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Our convoluted legal immigration system also works in favor of corporations exploiting skilled labor as well (e.g. engineers). It's a win/win (for big business)!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Joementum posted:

Crowd gathers for a Bernie rally in North Charleston, South Carolina.

See? Who said Bernie can't reach out to minorities! :haw:

Dahbadu posted:

Our convoluted legal immigration system also works in favor of corporations exploiting skilled labor as well (e.g. engineers). It's a win/win (for big business)!

Our convoluted everything does, to be honest. Guess who really manages to benefit from the tax code?

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Absurd Alhazred posted:

See? Who said Bernie can't reach out to minorities! :haw:

:golfclap:

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Dahbadu posted:

For comparison, the majority of Finnish employment-based immigration is into small businesses in cleaning and agriculture, and restaurants. It's basically the same people that work illegally in the US.

If you're an engineer and you get something other than an entry-level job in Finland, getting a permit takes a couple of weeks and you can take care of it by yourself. You don't need a lawyer.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

stoutfish posted:

it's super cool how the US is always in these statistics that make us look like a backward country

https://vimeo.com/105441375

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Soul Glo posted:

What's Trump's exit strategy? I don't think he'll risk becoming a LOSER, so at some point he's gonna take his ball and go home, right? How's that happen?

From several pages ago but I didn't see anyone else answer: My thought is this is part of why he's dallying with third-party nonsense (the other part of which is he's an rear end in a top hat and it lets him twist the GOP's tail a bit). When he gets tired of the circus, he'll through a fit about how the GOP hasn't been fair to him (which he's already griped about a few times), declare he can't allow this to ruin his chances to make America great again, quit the GOP field to "explore" a third party run (for juuuust long enough to send a few torpedoes into the already-flagging USS-Jeb), but never actually choose/create a third party to run under.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Joementum posted:

I think one of the reasons why black support for Bernie will be a lagging indicator is that black people, in general, are poorer than white people and truly poor people often don't have the luxury to keep up with politics. I'm not black, but we grew up below the poverty line (without extended family support), and every day was a struggle.

FYI -- if you're a 30 year old white unemployed nerd living off your parents, you don't count as poor.

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Our convoluted everything does, to be honest. Guess who really manages to benefit from the tax code?

Indeed!

Diqnol
May 10, 2010

Dahbadu posted:

FYI -- if you're a 30 year old white unemployed nerd living off your parents, you don't count as poor.

To clarify, this means you (prospective 30 year old white unemployed nerd) and your opinion would be useless rather than poor

Dahbadu
Aug 22, 2004

GUISSEPPE PIZZAPIE posted:

To clarify, this means you (prospective 30 year old white unemployed nerd) and your opinion would be useless rather than poor

Don't put words in my mouth. What I'm saying is that having a safety net (parents, someone with money) makes a huge difference in terms of how you go about your daily life, what your priorities are, and what you have the luxury to focus on. And when you are awarded a bit of luxury you probably don't have the presence of mind or foresight to focus on stuff like this, because you're stressed out.

Dahbadu fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 22, 2015

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Deep Hurting posted:

"As always, 'Cheating Death' is brought to you by Prescott Pharmaceuticals. Prescott Pharmaceuticals: Yeah, we worked with the Nazis, but only for the money."

"That's why Prescott Pharmaceuticals is proud to introduce the latest breakthrough in campaign performance-enhancing drugs: VacsaJeb! Side effects of VacsaJeb! include chronic Iraq pain, lingering Schaivo, and Trumpitis."
It's really a National tragedy that we didn't have Jon Stewart to comment on the last debate, or Stephen Colbert to talk in character about the Rise of Trump.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Please don't shame the BerNEET voting bloc.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's really a National tragedy that we didn't have Jon Stewart to comment on the last debate, or Stephen Colbert to talk in character about the Rise of Trump.

They would literally have nothing to do other than point and laugh.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Hmm.. 3 out of 4 for Trump.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

So I'm hoping someone can help me understand the recent Joe Biden news. Why did he choose to go to Warren? The thought of a Warren Biden ticket would be amazing.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Seriously though, what did Jeb?? do to piss off Trump this much?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

So I'm hoping someone can help me understand the recent Joe Biden news. Why did he choose to go to Warren? The thought of a Warren Biden ticket would be amazing.

Biden Warren could potentially take voters away from both Bernie and Hillary.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007

Dahbadu posted:

I think one of the reasons why black support for Bernie will be a lagging indicator is that black people, in general, are poorer than white people and truly poor people often don't have the luxury to keep up with politics. I'm not black, but we grew up below the poverty line (without extended family support), and every day was a struggle.

I bet you're at a hit at the parties

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Warren would be wasted as a VP

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Spacebump posted:

Biden Warren could potentially take voters away from both Bernie and Hillary.
I would be surprised if Warren got in at all. I also don't want her as VP. She's way more useful in the Senate in a leadership position.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

What are you, some kind of middle class cheapskate? The price right now is a cool $1 million, and even that can let in just anyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Some good reading selection at Bernie's North Charleston rally.

• Locked thread