Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Captain Yossarian posted:

I think power, screen and features are nice, but the battery life was just hot garbage from what I remember of the reviews. I too would be interested in an "updated" review

From what I've read LG had to seriously throttle the SOC in patches to keep it from overheating and it helped battery life. For the price you're getting flagship specs with a midrange processor at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

They were announcing devices that would dual boot Android and Windows over a year ago, but would that be possible? I assume the bootloader isn't compatible.

It's possible and they seem to be mainly chinese tablets.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

grack posted:

From what I've read LG had to seriously throttle the SOC in patches to keep it from overheating and it helped battery life. For the price you're getting flagship specs with a midrange processor at this point.

See that makes it MORE appealing to me. The most processor intensive thing I do is the awful app or that fallout shelter game. I guess pictures?

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Are the Samsung wireless charging pads the carriers are selling now the Quick Charge ones?

If you view them on carrier pages they are around $40-60 and don't say "Quick Charge" no the pad. If you search and look at Samsung's site, a quick charge version is listed as "coming soon" and is priced around $70

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES
Its now August 22, and I am legit concerned the X Pure won't come out on September 3.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I have a Moto X first gen and I love it. Should I go Nexus 6 or Moto X second gen, or wait for Moto X third gen or whatever?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Segmentation Fault posted:

I have a Moto X first gen and I love it. Should I go Nexus 6 or Moto X second gen, or wait for Moto X third gen or whatever?

At this point, wait for the third gen. The second is still solid and will only go down in price once the third gen is finally released, so even if you aren't wowed by the third gen, might as well wait the two weeks til it's released.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

RVProfootballer posted:

At this point, wait for the third gen. The second is still solid and will only go down in price once the third gen is finally released, so even if you aren't wowed by the third gen, might as well wait the two weeks til it's released.

Wait is there actually a third gen coming out? Hot poo poo, that answers my question.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Captain Yossarian posted:

See that makes it MORE appealing to me. The most processor intensive thing I do is the awful app or that fallout shelter game. I guess pictures?

I don't disagree. By all accounts the Flex 2 is otherwise a decent phone - good screen, good camera and even with the throttled SOC it performs pretty well. The camera is also the same one from the G3, so it's pretty good as well (and has the funky laser focus). Plus with the price plummeting it may be a good buy, as long as you're fine with LG's UI or willing to install your own launcher.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Cozmosis posted:

Its now August 22, and I am legit concerned the X Pure won't come out on September 3.

Man a whole two weeks? May as well just buy a Samsung.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
Hm... Apparently the new Moto phones aren't going to come out on Verizon. :( Guess I'll get that Nexus 6.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

Hm... Apparently the new Moto phones aren't going to come out on Verizon. :( Guess I'll get that Nexus 6.

The Moto X Pure will be available on all carriers, just not sold by carriers.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
So Google Inbox crashes constantly on my Droid Turbo (Verizon). Is this a known issue?

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

The G has CDMA support, so we might see it in the future, and as mentioned above, the X will work with it. The X style isn't going to be sold in any carrier stores.

Super Dude fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Aug 23, 2015

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
Apparently the new Motos are missing a gyroscopic sensor (no photosphere, cardboard, etc).

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Ragingsheep posted:

Apparently the new Motos are missing a gyroscopic sensor (no photosphere, cardboard, etc).

That sounds more like whatever lovely gab site gave you the specs overlooked it.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Krime posted:

Are the Samsung wireless charging pads the carriers are selling now the Quick Charge ones?

If you view them on carrier pages they are around $40-60 and don't say "Quick Charge" no the pad. If you search and look at Samsung's site, a quick charge version is listed as "coming soon" and is priced around $70

Nope. They are the normal Qi. Do have a 2A charger, but still slow vs. the newest ones.

The "fast charge Qi" pads aren't even for sale yet. Or at least they are "back ordered" on Samsung's site ($79 vs $49).

MC Hawking
Apr 27, 2004

by VideoGames
Fun Shoe

MC Hawking fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jul 20, 2018

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

vulturesrow posted:

So Google Inbox crashes constantly on my Droid Turbo (Verizon). Is this a known issue?

I use it all the time without issues.

E.T. NO HOMO
Jan 27, 2007

but you say he's
just a friend

bull3964 posted:

I use it all the time without issues.

Me too.

Also I've read about the Moto X Play coming to Verizon as the Droid Maxx 2 and also a Turbo 2 that nobody knows specs on. It was in my Google Now feed I think it was a phandroid article.

E: found it on AP too http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/0...akable-display/

E.T. NO HOMO fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Aug 23, 2015

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

MC Hawking posted:

Eagerly awaiting the hotsauce review of the upcoming BlackBerry Android super phone.

I bought something yesterday so it may be a while.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

hotsauce posted:

There's plenty of time. I count 3, maybe 4, phones between now and then.

Cozmosis
Feb 16, 2003

2006... YEAR OF THE BURNITZ, BITCHES

Endless Mike posted:

Man a whole two weeks? May as well just buy a Samsung.

I'm just concerned we don't have a date beyond a deleted tweet and no further confirmation at this point. Don't know what they are waiting for.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
The Sony xperia z3 compact I use can no longer get a GPS fix. It has always worked really well but all of a sudden today it cannot get a fix *at all*. I've tried powering off and back on again (???) and cleared and redownloaded the AGPS data.

With the "GPS Status" app I can see that it finds many satellites, it simply never gets a fix on any of them.

Google really isn't showing me many other reports of such an issue with this device. Any ideas?

It is still under warranty but I imagine any fix will take weeks and weeks :/ and I don't have another phone so it would be neat if I could avoid that...

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

hotsauce posted:

Did you happen to see this thing yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWX6qJjY-0

Ragingsheep posted:

I find that really hard to believe, but if true this would *really* make me laugh.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Would someone make a recommendation for a case? Just a simple cover with one special feature: a cutout in the inside for a credit card. This is for a Galaxy S5. Had one for my S3 and the hideaway was very handy. Can't seem to find one for the S5 so far.

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Waltzing Along posted:

Would someone make a recommendation for a case? Just a simple cover with one special feature: a cutout in the inside for a credit card. This is for a Galaxy S5. Had one for my S3 and the hideaway was very handy. Can't seem to find one for the S5 so far.

You could go for a wallet cover?

Samsung makes one for the S5, and it got room for a credit card inside.

http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/mobile-devices/accessories/case/EF-WG900BBEGWW

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

ilkhan posted:

Did you happen to see this thing yet?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDWX6qJjY-0

I know, the Note 5 is total garbage and I've been Samsung'd. Not even gonna defend it because the case is closed. Guess I have spare microseconds available because actual use yields zero issues. It's extremely fast for everything I've done and that's good by me. I guess if I sit there and go through spergy ~benchmarks~ I'll find differences but that's not important to me these days. I had the Note 4 for ~9 months (absolute record for hotsauce) so I knew what I was getting into with the Note 5.

But nobody buy this phone. Get a Nexus or Moto G forever, that's the only solution full stop. But I didn't particularly love the Nexus 6 for ~reasons~ so I know that I've left behind a perfect phone for Samsung jank. I can sleep at night knowing this, so cool?

hotsauce fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 23, 2015

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Chiming in again that the new G is really really a pleasure to use, coming from the Z3c.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

Chiming in again that the new G is really really a pleasure to use, coming from the Z3c.

New G Forever, hotsauce will regret this latest and most expensive transgression

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Gonna third the G3 love, this phone is loving perfect. It even runs most games pretty well, but when it comes to games I'd rather play them on literally anything that isn't a smartphone screen so. I could buy a new $200 phone every year and STILL spend less money than people who get the latest flagship every year.

What's the best way to use icon packs with the Google Now launcher, by the way?

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Daily Forecast posted:

Gonna third the G3 love

This is a phone made by LG.

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

RVProfootballer posted:

Give him a break - Android manufacturers have been getting a huge price break on Ones and Gs.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
The LG G3 is a nice phone though, my mom got one yesterday. She's happy with it, baby-boomer-:effort:-growing pains aside.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

RVProfootballer posted:

nah

shalnark
Nov 17, 2014

So I just received Huawei P8 max yesterday, I bought it 4 days ago from a chinese website and it got shipped through TNT and was wrapped in bubble wrap (around 5 wraps), haven't had much time using it just finished installing most of my apps and organizing it.

The emotion UI is pretty simplistic, might take me some time getting used to it . Playing videos is very nice, the colors are great and I'm very satisfied with it. Sound is also pretty loud with no noise (as far as I can tell) . The speakers are located at the bottom of the device.

Did an antutu benchmark and it scored 52273. The phablet did come with the original cover which is pretty neat and acts as a kickstand(the color is orange).
Still didn't transfer my sim so I can't comment on call quality. Over all I'm pretty happy.

shalnark fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Aug 23, 2015

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax

Daily Forecast posted:

Gonna third the G3 love, this phone is loving perfect. It even runs most games pretty well, but when it comes to games I'd rather play them on literally anything that isn't a smartphone screen so. I could buy a new $200 phone every year and STILL spend less money than people who get the latest flagship every year.

What's the best way to use icon packs with the Google Now launcher, by the way?

The new X pure looks pretty sharp, but it is really just the big brother of the G. Since I take a lot of photos, the nice camera is of interest to me.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I've already posted a bunch of pictures in this thread so I won't spam more, but the Moto G has a pretty drat nice camera for how much the phone costs. Definitely good enough for most people, I think. Suffers a little in low light but hey, so did the Note 4.

edit: gently caress it, one more cat picture

Came out really nice despite the poor lighting.

Daily Forecast fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 23, 2015

MannStooka
Sep 18, 2003
I'm a little new to Android so I apologize if this is a stupid question. I'm having a problem with Picasa photos showing up when I go to attach an image through text message, Hangouts, whatever. This is happening despite the fact that I have cleared everything out of the web interface for the Picasa web albums. Basically, I don't know want the pictures that are showing up here and I can't figure out how the hell to get rid of them. They don't show up in my Photos, or Gallery apps, they don't show up in the Picasa web management site, so where the hell are they showing up from? I'm assuming this is a Picasa issue since the photos in question have that litttle multi-colored circle in the corner.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love that Motorola can't even settle on a naming scheme for the phones that they name the same thing every year.