Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I know 6 and 8 are Big Finish's golden children, but are there any good McCoy audios? Preferably with Ace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

PriorMarcus posted:

Oh, what could've been...

I still own the DWWiki.net domain name, Marcus. It's just that I'm going back to school and I do not have the time to devote to organizing this sort of thing.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Aug 22, 2015

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

DoctorWhat posted:

I still own the DWWiki domain name, Marcus. It's just that I'm going back to school and I do not have the time to devote to organizing this sort of thing.

Will it have a page discussing what a "Posterior" is?

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

egon_beeblebrox posted:

Will it have a page discussing what a "Posterior" is?

over my dead body

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Oh yeah. School. Real important :rolleyes:

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I know 6 and 8 are Big Finish's golden children, but are there any good McCoy audios? Preferably with Ace?

Colditz jumps to mind as one of the best McCoy/Ace episodes, it also has some guy called Davis Tarrant or something who's not bad. Most of the Elizabeth Klein series are pretty good too, but they don't have Ace. Dust Breeding is another good McCoy.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

For Ace...

The Fearmonger feels like is could have come right after Survival, it's very 1989'ish and very well done.

Colditz is pretty good and is the serial where Ace's character matures from "teenage rebel" to "brilliant young woman" to fit Sophie Aldred being older.

The Harvest and Night Thoughts are great too - they introduce a new character, Hex, who plays off Ace very well. Night Thoughts was an unproduced television script with shades of Ghost Light.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I like Flip-Flop, but it does have some weird undertones that may put someone off it completely.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
I can't be bothered to go through them right now, but from what I recall pretty much the whole Seven/Ace/Hex run is solid and occasionally great. Especially if you particularly like Chess Master/fighting ancient gods Seven.

Except the Australian one, whatever that was called. That's really pants.

Dr. Gene Dango MD
May 20, 2010

Fuck them other cats I'm running with my own wolfpack

Keep fronting like youse a thug and get ya dome pushed back

One Swell Foop posted:

Colditz jumps to mind as one of the best McCoy/Ace episodes, it also has some guy called Davis Tarrant or something who's not bad. Most of the Elizabeth Klein series are pretty good too, but they don't have Ace. Dust Breeding is another good McCoy.
These two are Fantastic and Colditz in particular is stellar. Still one of my favorite Who audios.

Dr. Gene Dango MD fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Aug 22, 2015

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

One Swell Foop posted:

some guy called Davis Tarrant

wasn't he a character in Blake's 7?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DoctorWhat posted:

wasn't he a character in Blake's 7?

He was also in Harry Potter for like 5 minutes.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
Choose me a story to watch, Doctor Who thread

In the last couple of days I've watched Genesis and The Green Death

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MrL_JaKiri posted:

If you have it, track down the Moonbase. It's an old Cyberman story that doesn't get mentioned alot, despite getting animated segments recently

FreezingInferno
Jul 15, 2010

THERE.
WILL.
BE.
NO.
BATTLE.
HERE!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

That one neat Pertwee story, The Ambassadors.

....OF DEATH! (TWAAAAAANG)

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

FreezingInferno posted:

That one neat Pertwee story, The Ambassadors.

....OF DEATH! (TWAAAAAANG)

Gone with this one, because I don't have to get up to my DVD shelf to watch it

Moonbase tomorrow!

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

I choose to believe that the extremely odd incidental music in the docking sequence is diegetic

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

computer parts posted:

He was also in Harry Potter for like 5 minutes.

no i meant

... nevermind

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
I just got finished with An Unearthly Child, which is also my first foray into Classic Who. I can't say enough good things about the first part. I'll admit my memory is a bit fuzzy since I watched the first 3 parts and then came back to part 4 about a month later, but the first part was magical. Like, I know plenty about Who, but I still felt a huge sense of mystery in the first episode. The absolutely nailed the tone of this weird kid going to a police box in a junkyard, and the whole mystery surrounding it. The point where Ian and Barbara met The Doctor was filled with tension. Hartnell is also amazing. :allears:

My only real complaint is that the pacing is terrible on the caveman plot. I knew the pacing could sometimes be bad on the old episodes, but this was just far too slow and the cavemen weren't really interesting enough to compensate. Speaking of the cavemen, why did they seem to have American accents? It's possible they all had some really subdued British accent of some sort, but they sounded really American to me.

Next I'll be watching the first episode the Daleks showed up in. My plan is to watch all the "origin" episodes for various major villains and Doctors (first Cyberman episode, regeneration episodes, etc. Yes, even the Twin Dilemma), though I may forget that temporarily and do Genesis of the Daleks after this one since people talk about how good it is and it's being invoked next series. Then I'll probably start filling in highly regarded episodes.

I may watch all the Classic Episodes eventually, but that's my plan for now, I may also start being a nerd and posting reviews, though it's difficult for this one since I had such a big gulf between starting and finishing it.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

The first episode is fantastic. The other three episodes are less fantastic.

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I stopped watching the show at series 7, not out of lost interest so much as other things taking preference. Now I'm kind of wondering... What happened? Not, like, in the series, but it seems like the public interest for the series just disappeared midway through series 8. Was this just in the group I was in, or were people just not that impressed with Peter Capaldi, or did it move in a different direction that didn't go over well?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I stopped watching the show at series 7, not out of lost interest so much as other things taking preference. Now I'm kind of wondering... What happened? Not, like, in the series, but it seems like the public interest for the series just disappeared midway through series 8. Was this just in the group I was in, or were people just not that impressed with Peter Capaldi, or did it move in a different direction that didn't go over well?

Speaking solely about my own social circle, a lot of people hate both Capaldi and Clara.

E: Midway through Series 8 is also when the really bad episode happened, which was probably the nail in the coffin for most people.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Jsor posted:

E: Midway through Series 8 is also when the really bad episode happened, which was probably the nail in the coffin for most people.

10 of 12 is not midway :v:

And viewing figures stayed pretty static

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Pretty much everyone I know loves Capaldi and while they weren't impressed with Clara pre-Capaldi they've loved her with him.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

MrL_JaKiri posted:

10 of 12 is not midway :v:

And viewing figures stayed pretty static

I was referring to the 7th episode, which regardless of personal opinions, is where a lot of my friends stopped watching. :v:

SirSamVimes posted:

Pretty much everyone I know loves Capaldi and while they weren't impressed with Clara pre-Capaldi they've loved her with him.

A lot of my friends really, really hate him and Clara. They haven't given reasons for Clara, but they find Capaldi too "mean", and not whimsical enough (they didn't watch up to Mummy, so understandable I guess). I'll admit the first half of Series 8 could be kinda rocky in terms of 12's writing. It works much better as a single cohesive story than a weekly episode-by-episode show, IMO.

But then, these people also regularly share glurgy poems about 10 and Rose.

Linear Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 23, 2015

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hiro Protagonist posted:

A lot of people tuned in for the pretty boy aspect.

Not really enough to matter, mind you, but the most vocal people.

Jsor posted:

I was referring to the 7th episode, which regardless of personal opinions, is where a lot of my friends stopped watching. :v:

Interestingly the Caretaker had the lowest viewership ratings.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Aug 23, 2015

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
I almost picked it up again when I hear Capaldi was the new doctor, just because I thought it was a move away from the "dreamy" doctor that was Matt Smith into a more hard as one, which I personally like. What's the problem with Capaldi?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I almost picked it up again when I hear Capaldi was the new doctor, just because I thought it was a move away from the "dreamy" doctor that was Matt Smith into a more hard as one, which I personally like. What's the problem with Capaldi?

He's really gruff, and says really needlessly assholish things to Clara (and others) a lot. In reality, I think the exact things he says are oftentimes very Doctory things that don't come off as well as they should because he's not a pretty boy (or Tom Baker), and that's the entire point. He's still finding himself. It still put off a lot of people, though. In fact, I was put off by the Clara insults until I had the benefit of digesting the entire Series as a whole.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I absolutely love Capaldi but Matt Smith is my least favourite Doctor so my opinions probably won't jive with big fans of his

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Most people I know who are into Doctor Who lost interest during the break in the middle of season seven, came back either for the 50th or because they wanted to see Capaldi, then sort of lost interest again partway through season eight. There might be any number of reasons why: general fatigue with the show, perhaps (it has been back for 10 years at this point, and unlike the 1970s when the best you could do was flip over to ITV, it has a great deal more to compete with, both in the science-fiction/fantasy genre alone and on Saturday night more generally), dislike the characters, dislike the direction etc.

(Edit: Please keep in mind that I have no friends so my anecdotes about the opinions of other people may not be reliable.)

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
It's kind of interesting to see people rejecting him for being mean considering Capaldi's Doctor is more of a Good Guy than Tennant's or Smith's ever were but he isn't as young and charismatic.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

As far as I know the show is as popular as it has ever been, though I don't doubt the show lost a fair number of fans who were only in it for "shipping" or whatever the gently caress it is - it seems despite being extremely vocal their numbers weren't as great as a lot of people liked to pretend, because it doesn't seem to have had any meaningful impact on viewing figures . That said.....

Hiro Protagonist posted:

it was a move away from the "dreamy" doctor that was Matt Smith

I'm still utterly confused when people refer to Matt Smith as dreamy or a heartthrob, because while he is absolutely not an ugly person, I would classify him as a distinctly weird looking human being (which is great!).

Re: Hartnell's first season. The pacing can be a little weird, especially in the first two stories - I actually quite dig the cavemen stuff in the first story because while it is extremely slow paced, you get some awesome stuff like the one caveman struggling to articulate concepts like visualizing potential scenarios, unable to grasp if he's talking about things that are actually happening or things he dreamed (but I'm awake! :aaa:")

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
"Well poo poo, we're out of mercury guys, guess we can't take you home and we have to go explore the spooky post-apocalyptic city! :v:"

Hartnell is the best

saucerman
Mar 20, 2009
As I said before in this thread I am one of the people who was/is put off by the aggressive tone, not just of the Doctor but also Danny at times. One scene from "The Caretaker" comes to mind when Danny gets all "Yes, Sir" and everyone just keeps on shouting. I don't mind arguments but I feel it too often went it a bit too much into "that makes me anxious" territory. There was no fun in it and it feel more like a disfunctional marriage. It doesn't help that the colours in Capaldi's first season were grim, too, with lots of dark blues and greys. Clara was fine, maybe because I knew her for at least one season beforehand and she was always sassy (which I enjoy) but not mean. I recently rewatched all season (from 9th) and none of the Doctors were like that.

That may sound very negative but I still watch the show because I do enjoy Doctor Who. The Christmas special was perfect in tone and I would like to see more of that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

So BBC was showing a bunch of "old" eps and I caught the end of The End of Time.

Now I know I've probably said this before, and it means absolutely nothing because it's a total retcon, but...

When you watch 10's mauldlin drawn out regeneration, it totally, totally works if you see it as him experiencing what will be for him his Final Regeneration.

Yeah, :words: RTD didn't intend that, Moffat hadn't thought of any of his part of it yet (or had he? :smug: ) but as a retcon it really is an appropriate regeneration. In fact I'd go so far as to say if he hadn't acted a little emotional over his final regeneration, it would be disappointing.

Flame on. :colbert:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Astroman posted:

So BBC was showing a bunch of "old" eps and I caught the end of The End of Time.

Now I know I've probably said this before, and it means absolutely nothing because it's a total retcon, but...

When you watch 10's mauldlin drawn out regeneration, it totally, totally works if you see it as him experiencing what will be for him his Final Regeneration.

Yeah, :words: RTD didn't intend that, Moffat hadn't thought of any of his part of it yet (or had he? :smug: ) but as a retcon it really is an appropriate regeneration. In fact I'd go so far as to say if he hadn't acted a little emotional over his final regeneration, it would be disappointing.

Flame on. :colbert:

Credit to Moffat on this one, yeah, the whole 'Eleven's the last in the cycle' retcon could have only really worked with the specific groundwork Ten and Eleven put down. No other Doctor could've been retconned as 'the last' like Eleven, especially given Ten's groundwork.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Cleretic posted:

Credit to Moffat on this one, yeah, the whole 'Eleven's the last in the cycle' retcon could have only really worked with the specific groundwork Ten and Eleven put down. No other Doctor could've been retconned as 'the last' like Eleven, especially given Ten's groundwork.

It's just a shame that nothing at all in Elevens run points to it until 10 minutes before it's resolved.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

PriorMarcus posted:

It's just a shame that nothing at all in Elevens run points to it until 10 minutes before it's resolved.

Yup. Totally shoehorned in.

Ten's end made perfect sense already, because he was a massive prima donna. Capaldi would've made a much more logical 'last Doctor', to be honest.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

I can completely understand people being put off by capaldis doctor. There is a world of difference between the doctor who said "I've never met anyone who wasnt important before" and the doctor who doesnt bother remembering people because they arent important to him (into the dalek, the last Xmas special). Obviously there is always a change in the doctors character between regenerations, but capaldi has been handed a doctor who is relentlessly negative, and at times deliberately and pointlessly cruel.

Essentially Capaldis doctor, a lot of the time, comes off like he doesnt enjoy travelling the universe and doesnt particularly like humans. Which is a take on the character I personally find wearing. I love Capaldi as an actor, I'm a big fan of doctor who, but they are writing a doctor that to me feels like he should just jack in the whole adventures in time and space thing and do something he doesnt actively detest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Have you seen Last Christmas? It remains to be seen what happens next of course, but the ending of that was such an inspiringly hopeful and positive thing from the characters it left me wondering if it marks a turning point for the Doctor's demeanor going forward.

• Locked thread