Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I never even thought to look at those, I figured those were just for authors. I'm clearly not terribly bright.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

ALFbrot posted:

I never even thought to look at those, I figured those were just for authors. I'm clearly not terribly bright.

2 and a half years into this people are still asking us how to inject customs (we have tutorials and Nemo developed a tool to do it). You clearly are in the high percentile if you only missed the usefulness of C3 CON Tools. ;)

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Which of the new Rush/Black Sabbath tracks are good for pure vocalists? Half of the rush stuff I've played has a 5 minute Neil Pert interlude.

Also, what are some hidden gems of the vocal customs in general? I just got Stacy's Mom yesterday, and most of the jazz/country releases.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Golden Bee posted:

I just got Stacy's Mom yesterday
This isn't an official C3 release, is it? I've wanted some Fountains of Wayne forever, can't imagine I'd've missed it.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Golden Bee posted:

Which of the new Rush/Black Sabbath tracks are good for pure vocalists? Half of the rush stuff I've played has a 5 minute Neil Pert interlude.

Well, Heaven and Hell clearly. For Rush, only La Villa Strangiato (which is an instrumental) and By-Tor... which has a long interlude are not that fun on vocals. Anything else maybe except for the first 2 albums is good. The Analog Kid is probably my favourite of the bunch.

farottone fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 22, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

DancinBrud posted:

This isn't an official C3 release, is it? I've wanted some Fountains of Wayne forever, can't imagine I'd've missed it.

Not yet, but I'd like to convert it properly from GH before we close our doors. A lot of the community GH conversions leave the charts entirely as-is, which almost never looks or plays right.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

farottone posted:

Well, Heaven and Hell clearly. For Rush, onyl La Villa Strangiato (which is an instrumental) and By-Tor... which has a long interlude are not that fun on vocals. Anything else maybe except for the first 2 albums is good. The Analog Kid is probably my favourite of the bunch.

Come on, who doesn't want to sing "By-Tor and the Snow Dog square for battle, let the fray begin!" even if there's like three or four minutes where they do fuckall unless they've got an instrument

DancinBrud posted:

Would play full-album Utopia Parkway

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Golden Bee posted:

Also, what are some hidden gems of the vocal customs in general? I just got Stacy's Mom yesterday, and most of the jazz/country releases.

I think it's hilarious you think that song is a hidden gem. I mean, it's fun, but a gem? :-D

DancinBrud posted:

pksage posted:

Not yet, but I'd like to convert it properly from GH before we close our doors. A lot of the community GH conversions leave the charts entirely as-is, which almost never looks or plays right.

If you look in the Other Customs forums you find all sorts of things. One of those sorts of things is my thread of customs that existed prior to C3. Everything that I've cleaned up and re-released through C3 is no longer available in that thread, but there's still lots of stuff there. It's not C3 quality, but it's a bit more polished than a direct port from GH :-)

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm gonna miss C3.

Then again, I'm excited to see what C4 has in store.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Gaspar Lewis posted:

I'm gonna miss C3.

C3 lives, man. Yeah, the official project is winding down, but they've cultivated a literal custom creators collective that's putting out poo poo I never thought I'd have in RB. Found this on the forums and completely agree.

quote:

Thank you to Farottone for being all Yoda and poo poo.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014
You guys didn't know? Why do you think pksage, nyx and I have our voice in C3 videos but not farottone? Because if you heard him, you'd know.
I traveled to Milan last year and met him. This is the only photograph he let me take. Sorry it's low quality, I was using a lovely cellphone at the time.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Gaspar Lewis posted:

I'm gonna miss C3.

It's gonna blow you away.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So I haven't really been following the game since the announcement. Have they said how the old instruments are going to work yet? USB dongle of some kind, I assume? Also are they going to be selling the new instruments separately? I'm thinking of just getting the guitar bundle at launch, then getting the drums later.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
All that is covered in their FAQ

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Jesus, now they're calling "poo poo we've already bought from you" entitlements??

Also, curse the mind that decided a custom for Joe Cam Stole My Bike would be a better idea than The Drugstore Sells Sparks.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

whypick1 posted:

All that is covered in their FAQ

They didn't say anything about how old instruments will work in here.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

quote:

Q: I play Rock Band with my ION Drum Kit. Will the ION Drum Kit, as well as other MIDI drum kits, be compatible with Rock Band 4?
A: The short answer is “no, not at launch.” Our first priority is to make sure that the core Rock Band legacy instruments be compatible on day one when Rock Band 4 launches – and they will be! If you want to see ION support in Rock Band 4, you can let ION Audio know by contacting them here: http://www.ionaudio.com/support/. We know that many of you play Rock Band using these peripherals, and we are actively working on finding a solution to this compatibility issue.

Q: So what is the official update on any hardware peripheral not manufactured for Rock Band and their compatibility with Rock Band 4?
A: Just about all wireless instrument peripherals will work with Rock Band 4. We’ll have a detailed compatibility chart that we’ll release closer to launch.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Jesus, now they're calling "poo poo we've already bought from you" entitlements??
This is standard legalese/jargon. They're not using it in the "ugh you entitled gamers" sense at all.

whypick1 posted:

If you want to see ION support in Rock Band 4, you can let ION Audio know by contacting them here:
Yikes, this makes it sound like HMX has either hit a wall or given up on ION kit support in RB4. There's gotta be little to no chance anyone over at ION HQ gives a poo poo. As someone who is willing to wait (indefinitely if need-be) for ION support in RB4, that's a bit disappointing.

xamphear fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Aug 22, 2015

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Yes, I already knew that they said they were going to work. My question was how.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Wait, so wired instruments and the Ion drum rocker won't work? That really sucks. I don't think I ever had a set of wireless drums. And I'm a drummer. I think I have one or two wireless guitars, so that's good. I had the Lips microphones, so I guess those are a no go, too.

Has anyone talked about a pro drum option for the new platform? I had hundreds of songs on the 360 and know I need to move to the Bone for this but I really want good drums...

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait, so wired instruments and the Ion drum rocker won't work? That really sucks. I don't think I ever had a set of wireless drums.

Not even from TBRB?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait, so wired instruments and the Ion drum rocker won't work? That really sucks. I don't think I ever had a set of wireless drums. And I'm a drummer. I think I have one or two wireless guitars, so that's good. I had the Lips microphones, so I guess those are a no go, too.

Has anyone talked about a pro drum option for the new platform? I had hundreds of songs on the 360 and know I need to move to the Bone for this but I really want good drums...

There is a cymbal kit for the RB4 drums, and seeing as all that drum info is baked in with the animations, I would assume it will work.

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

TheJoker138 posted:

and seeing as all that drum info is baked in with the animations, I would assume it will work.

I can't wait for the day where this misconception is done away with. That is not correct, please stop saying that.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax
http://www.harmonixmusic.com/blog/rock-band-4-at-pax-prime-2015/

quote:

Aside from all of the other awesome things we have going on during next weekend, we also have some special news for our dedicated Rock Band community. We’ll soon be announcing a major program just for you guys, and we’ll have more information to come before PAX begins, so stay tuned.

:confused:

quote:

And don’t forget the SWAG! Harmonix is bringing some great goodies to PAX Prime this year, and we can’t wait to share them with you. We have a Pinny Arcade Pin for the expo, which includes the first look at the new in-game “Band Overdrive” Stage Presence icon! How can you score the Band Overdrive Pinny Arcade Pin at the booth? You’ll have to come by and play Rock Band 4!

quote:

In terms of actual play session data, Rock Band 3’s online synchronous multiplayer feature was one of the least used features with over 90% of play sessions being local.

:confused:

(Does that figure factor in, you know, people playing local alone?)

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Stop letting shitheads ruin language for you. "Entitlement" isn't a dirty word.

You paid for songs. They are yours. You are entitled to them.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Gaspar Lewis posted:

(Does that figure factor in, you know, people playing local alone?)

I doubt they'd make such a big mistake in the data. I'm sure they differentiated between multiplayer online or locally, and single player was completely separate.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

There is a cymbal kit for the RB4 drums, and seeing as all that drum info is baked in with the animations, I would assume it will work.

Wait, you assume the Ion Drums will work, or the new cymbal kit for the new drums will work?

I am pretty sure I gave away my Beatles drums since I had the Ions.

How are the wireless instruments even going to be compatible? It's not like you can use other 360 wireless stuff on the Bone...

TrojanNemo
Jun 18, 2014

Ultimate Mango posted:

How are the wireless instruments even going to be compatible? It's not like you can use other 360 wireless stuff on the Bone...

The current word is one adapter that connects to the Xbox One and then your wireless Xbox 360 controllers connect to that adapter. That's on Xbox. PS4 will just accept the PS3 dongles and the controllers connect to the dongles like they do now.

Gaspar Lewis
Nov 30, 2007

by Lowtax

KiddieGrinder posted:

I doubt they'd make such a big mistake in the data. I'm sure they differentiated between multiplayer online or locally, and single player was completely separate.

The follow-up survey to the one they referenced first asked if you'd pre-ordered yet or no, then asked a bunch of reasons why you might not have yet if you said you didn't.

One of the options, after a bunch about hardware compatibility, was "I'm waiting for more information" which half-hid a third screen of other reasons someone might not have pre-ordered yet. You also couldn't choose more than one on the second screen, I don't think.

There's just a lot of questions and conditions that, yeah, I'd imagine were taken into account, but then why not go into them if you're going to start delving into specific statistics? Was there weighting for the amount those given people spent on the game / in DLC? What was the range of dates they used for play sessions in that data, and how much did that percent drop over the course of Rock Band 3? Or the series, for that matter? Is that information put into perspective with similar statistics over the course of the series?

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat
Does anyone actually use the rock band 3 pro guitar (squier)?

It's looking like I'm never ever going to use it, and given the peripheral situation with 4 I doubt it will be of any use for that. I have no idea if I could even get rid of it.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
The real guitar? I want to but I can't justify shelling out for it

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

Spoeank posted:

The real guitar? I want to but I can't justify shelling out for it

Yeah the real one. It does exactly what it's supposed to. I kept it for so long figuring I'd end up using the MIDI stuff more than I ended up doing. At this point I'd rather have another real (non rock band guitar). Are there any rock band forums or something where I could unload this?

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

TrojanNemo posted:

The current word is one adapter that connects to the Xbox One and then your wireless Xbox 360 controllers connect to that adapter. That's on Xbox. PS4 will just accept the PS3 dongles and the controllers connect to the dongles like they do now.

I mostly use a PS4 but I have a bone. Since my Rock Band, instruments, and downloads were all on 360 it makes the most sense to get the new Rock Band on Xbox One (in agreement with the thread title even).

If the Xbox One uses an adapter, then I suppose there is zero hope that the Ion stuff will work. Maybe someone can hack up something to connect the Ion brain to a wireless set of drums and have that connect wirelessly with low enough latency to be playable.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait, you assume the Ion Drums will work, or the new cymbal kit for the new drums will work?

I am pretty sure I gave away my Beatles drums since I had the Ions.

I'm assuming the cymbal kit with the new drums will work. Also I found an old quote from Harmonix about pro-mode for drums in general:

“Rock Band 4 will focus on the core experience and the roots of the franchise — guitar, bass, drums, and vocals. There will be no Pro Guitar or key support in Rock Band 4. We will continue to support ‘Pro’ mode for Drums.”

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

We will continue to support ‘Pro’ mode for Drums.”

*offer excludes your Pro Drums.

farottone
Oct 18, 2013

C3 Author
Btw, I love the limelight as much as the next self-obsessed egomaniac but it would be a disservice to the group to consider me more than a piece of the puzzle. This has worked for 2 1/2 years because it's a giant puzzle with a lot of pieces and I'm personally very happy of the way it turned out to be. :)

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

farottone posted:

Btw, I love the limelight as much as the next self-obsessed egomaniac but it would be a disservice to the group to consider me more than a piece of the puzzle. This has worked for 2 1/2 years because it's a giant puzzle with a lot of pieces and I'm personally very happy of the way it turned out to be. :)

you can at least admit that you're, like, twice as big a puzzle piece as anyone else.

That way I can hold you personally responsible when RB4 is released and we still never got a custom for Hocus Pocus by Focus Dire Straits Alchemy Live version of Sultans Of Swing.

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Aug 23, 2015

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

farottone posted:

Songs, we like. Yoda, you are, yes?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Funky Valentine posted:

CRASH COURSE IN VAN HALEN WITH THE GUY FROM EXTREME

ONLY ALBUM: ahahahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahahaahahahaaaahahahahahahahahahaaahahahahahahahahahahaahahaaa

My brother got this way cheap some time in the 90s and I therefore have much nostalgia for it and would particularly love 'Fire in the Hole' in my rhythm game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
With the amount of Windows 10 and XBox cross-over likely to happen I guess I'll stick to my rule of getting Sony consoles for the greater coverage of games not on PC. Good to know I don't have to throw out all my hardware.

Edit: Actually, gently caress it. The announced set list isn't exciting enough.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 23, 2015