Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Beta call for Barbarossa: Decisive Campaigns

http://www.matrixgames.com/news/1774/Barbarossa..Decisive.Campaigns.3.Beta.Call!

This sounds fun

quote:

Set during the entire Operation Barbarossa the game features a deep and detailed chain of command, with which you are forced to work with. Refusing to follow an insane order could mean the end of your military career...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I really, *really* want an AGEOD game based on the Mexican Revolution of 1910-1920.

That's all.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Is Coral Sea, Op. Buccaneer, or maybe Guadalcanal the best small scenario to start with in WitP:AE? Finally gonna give this a crack this weekend.

Also, any general advice for doing any of those scenarios?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Is Coral Sea, Op. Buccaneer, or maybe Guadalcanal the best small scenario to start with in WitP:AE? Finally gonna give this a crack this weekend.

Also, any general advice for doing any of those scenarios?

Gradenko's tutorial runs you through Buccaneer really well and gives you a good base from which to start island-hopping and getting a grasp on how combined strategy works (land/sea/air): http://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=17472

Coral Sea is a fairly simple and short scenario that is mainly about the sea and air components of the game.

I'd recommend Buccaneer first, following along the tutorial, then do Coral Sea on your own. Then you should be ready to tackle the grand campaign (with Quiet China enabled). You may want to look into getting one of those savegames off of the Matrix forums with all of your allied turn 1 stuff done, since there's a LOT to do on Turn 1. I generally play WitP very thoroughly and over Christmas when I was starting a new campaign, I spent like 3 hours setting up my turn 1 while watching movies on the couch.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
How the gently caress do you manage turn 1 in 3 hours? It takes me at least twice that if not 10+ hours sometimes.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Pharnakes posted:

How the gently caress do you manage turn 1 in 3 hours? It takes me at least twice that if not 10+ hours sometimes.

I was playing with Quiet China and didn't do nearly the amount of optimization I probably should have. Here were the notes I jotted down for myself of stuff I did just on the logistical side (not including stuff like moving Force Z to safety in Soerabaja and setting up normal automated supply/fuel convoys from the West Coast to Pearl/Fiji/Sydney).

Drone's Crazy Grognard Notebook posted:

8 December 1941

AUSTRALIA
-Began shuffling infantry formations around for eventual rebuilding (divisions in each major city).
-Moved Catalinas from Moresby to Rabaul. Beginning to ferry Lark Btn out with them, evac to Moresby.
-Moved xAP Queen Elizabeth and CL Perth to Port Moresby at best speed to pick up Lark Btn.
-Began moving Australian warships from around theater toward Sydney.

DUTCH EAST INDIES
-Began shuffling infantry formations around Sumatra for eventual rebuilding. Lack of infrastructure makes this difficult and time-consuming.
-Began moving Dutch combat ships to Soerabaja.
-Began evacuating supplies, fuel, and oil from Sumatra to Java, beginning evacuation of island.
-Commenced limited minelaying operations in Sumatra.
-Moved tankers/oilers to Balikpapan to evacuate fuel and oil resources.
-Moving transports to Ambon from around New Guinea/Philippines to pick up Dutch air force.

MALAYA
-Moving various ground units to Taiping (Malaya) to form 11th Indian Division.

INDIA/BURMA
-Moving various ground units to Rangoon to form 1st Burma Division.
-Moving various ground units to Calcutta for rebuilding.

PHILIPPINES
-Moved TK/AOs from around the islands to Balikpapan.
-Set up CAPs over Manila/Clark Field/etc.
-Began pulling back to a defensive line in Luzon.

HONG KONG
-Beginning evacuation of supplies and all air groups, if possible.

PEARL HARBOR
-Set up ASW Patrol for DD Ward.
-Put a few BB's in shipyard.

WEST COAST
-Moving an AP to Nome, to eventually work on combining a battalion in Alaska.
-Set up training and ASW Patrols for flights on the West Coast.
-Set up ASW corvette/patrol boat maneuvers on West Coast.
-Began convoying supplies to Dutch Harbor.
-Moved 7th Mot Infantry Division from Fort Ord to San Francisco (destination: Java)
-Moving 34th Infantry Rgmt from SF to Pearl, in order to build 24th Infantry Division.
-Moving 44th Infantry Division from Tacoma to Java by way of Seattle, then Pearl.
-Moving 35th PG/70th PS Fighter group from SF to Java by way of Pearl.
-Moving 35th PG/HqS Fighter group from SF to Java by way of Pearl.

My goal in that game was to play a Fortress Java strategy, hence consolidating naval and air assets on Java. Tried to consolidate as much existing Dutch forces as I could (pulling the disparate air units around the DEI back to a central location etc.) and used combined Australian divisions as the first phase of garrison troops on the island. American fighters were being sent in for more/better air cover, with British troops from India to follow. On Sumatra I tried to consolidate all forces I could in the major oilfield provinces and was starting to set up Singapore for a long siege. I then tried to evacuate as much oil/fuel out of Sumatra as possible while that was happening (I actually get a pretty big chunk out before the sea lanes became too dangerous).

Drone fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Aug 20, 2015

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Pharnakes posted:

Only your first turn should take that long. After that everything should shake up to make turns quite easy. Comparatively.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Peztopiary posted:

It doesn't seem like there is a Solium Infernum thread on the forums, can we talk about that here? Because it's so great, and so hard to find a game with other people. Maybe there are enough nerds here to make it happen?

I picked the game pretty late, and barely played, but I'd be up for it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Omi-Polari posted:

I really, *really* want an AGEOD game

A thing nobody has said before...

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 22, 2016

dublish
Oct 31, 2011

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

Why do they have such a bad rap? (I don't know a thing about AGEOD)

They pretend to be a developer, when in fact they've only developed one game that's since been packaged 15 different ways. That game is a turn-based strategy game that takes anywhere from 30-300 seconds to process a single turn.

They are peak grog. They're so grog that Paradox bought the company in 2009 and then had to let them go less than two years later because they weren't interested in things like sensible UIs or accessible gameplay. This is pre-CK2 Paradox we're talking about.

I'm only slightly exaggerating.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I always thought both Birth of Americas were solid games and worked well for what they did. Pity the rest of the games tend toward bloat.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Panzeh posted:

I always thought both Birth of Americas were solid games and worked well for what they did. Pity the rest of the games tend toward bloat.

I really enjoyed 1 until I got careless and realized how accurately they model winter. Civil War seemed a bit much with the staggered activation.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

This the right thread for this, I hope?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392470/

Nobunaga's Ambition has a new installment coming out September 1st. I barely remember the earlier titles from my childhood, but I think they were pretty groggy. Or is it more of a Paradox game in terms of complexity?

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
e: derp

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Holy crap the Combat Mission demos have a lot of content. Here I was thinking I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to go on with each game to decide on which one to get.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Dandywalken posted:

This the right thread for this, I hope?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/392470/

Nobunaga's Ambition has a new installment coming out September 1st. I barely remember the earlier titles from my childhood, but I think they were pretty groggy. Or is it more of a Paradox game in terms of complexity?

KOEI games are very much lightweights on the grog scale - I wouldn't say they even match up to Paradox in terms of sheer complexity. Purely in terms of how groggy they are KOEI games in general are closer to traditional 4Xes than anything else. They're still pretty good, though - their main feature is usually that the most important resource in the game isn't money, men, food, or any of that stuff, but talented officers who may or may not remain loyal to you. You can have the largest empire in the world, but if you only have poo poo-tier officers and incompetents working for you, you're going to get trounced by someone who managed to get his hands on really good officers.

I mean, they were pretty groggy for NES/SNES games, but that's not saying much, is it? Speaking of which, if you wanted to get an idea of how groggy they are exactly you could always see if you could, uh, hunt down the old SNES games...

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

markgreyam posted:

Holy crap the Combat Mission demos have a lot of content. Here I was thinking I wasn't sure if I'd have enough to go on with each game to decide on which one to get.

And that's without the patch updates or the base game and expansion combined. It's one thing to see the content on its own but when it's all jammed together it's a staggering scenario list to go through sometimes.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

And that's without the patch updates or the base game and expansion combined. It's one thing to see the content on its own but when it's all jammed together it's a staggering scenario list to go through sometimes.

I think I'm about to pull the trigger on Normandy, and then go for Black Sea later, but I just can't decide because so many other grog games I have are WW2 already :ohdear:

Also I can't work out if I need to purchase that $10 v3.0 patch for Normandy because the main game screen says that it's v3.0 already, but the patch page says nothing about this.

I'm also assuming there is very little point in getting anything physical posted to me, I'm predicting a simple CD in a sleeve?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Don't get the physical copy. It's a waste of money. Sure you get a nice manual but the PDF is just fine and it's not like the game doesn't alt-tab nicely. I'm not sure if buying the base game now gives you 3.0, but if it says it does that's nice. I've paid something like $20 for patches in total and I don't care how they justify it, it's still somewhat bullshit.

markgreyam
Mar 10, 2008

Talk to the mittens.
Haha holy poo poo

"Here is your 10GB download link direct from our servers with no alternative download options at all"

*browser is given Files.zip to download*

:allears:

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Battlefront is hella backwards but damnit why is Combat Mission so fun.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's a broken piece of poo poo but it's the ONLY way to get the experiences and gameplay it offers. Besides, it's only like 40% broken which is great for a grog game!

Fired up Black Sea again for the first time in a few months the other night and after playing WWII for a while, I promptly forgot just how easily slaughtered everyone is and wiped.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
I just started a 13000 point game in cmbn. It is going to be something else.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I hate large scale engagements in CM, it's SO much better suited for medium or small engagements. The only times I've enjoyed larger scale things are goon games. Which we should totally have another of!

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah it is going to be like playing 3 different games at one time, it is basically just a long strip of a map. Nice thing is it is holland so there is a lot of stuff I haven't used I get to try out.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

So I've been watching some Gettysburg Ultimate General videos, besides the fact I should buy it, I don't suppose this guy might be working on something like Waterloo Ultimate General or something? Napoleonics with this game engine would be awesome.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

I'd assume he's working on a new game. We'll probably see an announcement sometime next year. Ultimate General Gettysburg is one of the few real time games that actually works well on iPad, whilst also being one of the most fun Civil War strategy games on PC, especially at that price.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Aren't they doing Naval Action?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

His company is working on this http://www.navalaction.com/

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Wait, he is the guy doing Naval Action. I thought G:UG was done by a 1 man indie? :psyduck:

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Wait, he is the guy doing Naval Action. I thought G:UG was done by a 1 man indie? :psyduck:

He's not working on naval action. They're just the same company.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I thought ultimate general Waterloo was already announced, if not even out?

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Unity of Command is 4 bucks on Steam if people still don't have it.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Dev diary on a new operational level combat game called 'Combat Operations' funnily enough.

http://kriegsimulation.blogspot.com.au/2015/08/introducing-combat-operations-new_24.html#more

16 player MP and the ability to export tactical battles to Combat Mission sounds cool. Will be interesting to see how the Kickstarter goes next month.

Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I hate large scale engagements in CM, it's SO much better suited for medium or small engagements. The only times I've enjoyed larger scale things are goon games. Which we should totally have another of!

It would be more fun if their interface wern't clunky as poo poo. Theres just too much micromanagement in that game that adds very little to the experience.

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
I personally don't find the Combat Mission UIs that clunky, once you have all the hot keys down, giving orders goes pretty smoothly.

My big problem is the terrible performance when moving the camera around. I actually find the low framerate and texture/lod popping so frustrating that I basically don't play anymore.

dtkozl
Dec 17, 2001

ultima ratio regum
Yeah I like the UI but the camera controls are smooth for me. There is texture popping but that doesn't bother me, I played so long in low res mode that I'm used to my guys looking like stick figures. I do hate when the camera is jerky like in witp and other games, that drives me up the wall. If it were like that in cm I probably wouldn't still be playing it.

If anyone would like to see what a 13000 point game looks like here it is. That is 5 infantry companies, 3 tank companies, a towed at gun company, and probably some other bits and pieces I'm forgetting. Really isn't as much as you would think.

I think cm is best at med-large battles personally. I think for the really small stuff you run into the same problems you do with a lot of games where the tank is so much more powerful and longer ranged compared to the infantry you really have a hard time balancing a scenario. Red orchestra and advanced squad leader are like this too. Things just really luck dependent and swingy when you don't have redundancy and a match basically revolves around how well your tank does. If it is small I prefer it to be infantry only.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
I would like a collapsible icon feature that you can toggle (and maybe even have a slider for distance!) that will fold same-squad and same-company units into a larger icon, maybe even a different icon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VendoViper
Feb 8, 2011

Can't touch this.
Or at least have some sort of indication of subordination in the icons. Being able to select by platoon / company is great for giving starting orders. Or between hot spots, but having to use the little bits of text in the lower left sucks.