Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Oh, are you still interested in VW Snowflakes? I think we chatted about it, and it got bypassed. I've got a bunch, and no VWs onto which to install them. I keep one set for the wife's Fit (wrong taper lugs instead of wheel bolts, yeah yeah yeah), but the rest can certainly go away.

I am, but I'd have to figure out shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

CommieGIR posted:

I am, but I'd have to figure out shipping.

02559 is my zip. I can palletize and freight them, or ship courier (UPS/FedEx). I can probably get the tires taken off at some point if we're palletizing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, I got a new job last week. Its in downtown Atlanta, which is not really conducive to driving a manual semi-sports vehicle like the Audi 90 Quattro, at least fuel wise.

So I went to 'resurrect' the Jetta. First order of business, new Harmonic Balancer:

Cool! Engine started up easily with a new battery!

Then I noticed some rust...

Uh oh...

Oh poo poo. Its the cancer.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Aug 22, 2015

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib
Strut towers... That blows. Time to get out the grinder, POR15, and the gloves.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

sharkytm posted:

Strut towers... That blows. Time to get out the grinder, POR15, and the gloves.

That and the AC Compressors RCV is apparently bad, as I'm getting slightly high low side pressure, and low high side pressure.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
So, after some Google research, the concensus is the Compressor is either bad or the Compressor RCV is bad.

So, either way, the compressor has to come out. Seeing as rebuild parts are cheap, I'm gonna take a crack at rebuilding it.

Compressor.

High and Low lines sealed.

Compressor is out! Lets take it apart!

Valve Cap removed

Reed Valve Plate and Valve Stems removed and bagged

And there it is. The pistons and the Refrigerant Control Valve. My main concern is the scoring on the face of some of the pistons, but I see no damage elsewhere. Moisture issues maybe?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
How do the bores check out? Assuming it functions just like any other compressor, they might be wore out.

But I don't know that much about it.... Also that's cool you took all that apart.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BrokenKnucklez posted:

How do the bores check out? Assuming it functions just like any other compressor, they might be wore out.

But I don't know that much about it.... Also that's cool you took all that apart.

Here's the thing: When the car was parked, the AC worked. Sat for 4-5 months, now it doesn't, so it would be odd for the bores to suddenly go bad. I suspect the Refrigerant Control Valve.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Follow up: Ordered the Refrigerant Control Valve and gaskets for an SD7V16 compressor.

Rebuilt mine with nothing but photos as a reference, refilled with oil, filled system with R152. HOLY CRAP COLD AC. It works! Now I can run my more fuel efficient vehicle to drive downtown instead of my fuel hungry performance car.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
That's awesome! (Sorry I have nothing else to contribute)

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx

CommieGIR posted:

Follow up: Ordered the Refrigerant Control Valve and gaskets for an SD7V16 compressor.

Rebuilt mine with nothing but photos as a reference, refilled with oil, filled system with R152. HOLY CRAP COLD AC. It works! Now I can run my more fuel efficient vehicle to drive downtown instead of my fuel hungry performance car.

Just as it starts being 60 in the morning instead of 90! :D

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SuperDucky posted:

Just as it starts being 60 in the morning instead of 90! :D

Meh, sitting in traffic for an hour in i85N makes it worth it.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!
repost from the VW Audi thread: So i got the 15 tdi last weekend and my question is this, it seems that tdi's actually have a pretty serious breakin regime (according to the tdi hive mind forums), is this something i need to be following or is it more of an undying urban legend? I really was enjoying my 47 mpg city, but with this break in driving i am down to a measly 30mpg city.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

repost from the VW Audi thread: So i got the 15 tdi last weekend and my question is this, it seems that tdi's actually have a pretty serious breakin regime (according to the tdi hive mind forums), is this something i need to be following or is it more of an undying urban legend? I really was enjoying my 47 mpg city, but with this break in driving i am down to a measly 30mpg city.

Just make sure you are following the recommended oil change cycle, other than that, drive it hard and drive it fast. Wearing in the TDI motors involves some good heavy driving.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Just make sure you are following the recommended oil change cycle, other than that, drive it hard and drive it fast. Wearing in the TDI motors involves some good heavy driving.

So call me crazy, but could i just buy some sandbags and throw them in the trunk? That would force me to use more throttle/load and help get a better seat on the rings (but not have to speed as much), or is this a totally stupid idea?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

So call me crazy, but could i just buy some sandbags and throw them in the trunk? That would force me to use more throttle/load and help get a better seat on the rings (but not have to speed as much), or is this a totally stupid idea?

Is it a manual? If it is, just shift later. Load wise a bunch of sandbags are not going to place a discernible load on the motor, its easier to just Italian tune the motor and drive it like you stole it.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 25, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Is it a manual? If it is, just shift later. Load wise a bunch of sandbags are not going to place a discernable load on the moro, its easier to just Italian tune the motor and drive it like you stole it.

its the dsg but i can rev it up high, im just worried about getting popped by the fascist police around here.

I guess i should ask is it just revs or revs and load? The procedure on tdiforums.whatever made it seem like load was more important than revs, but maybe you can help me out.

edit: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501 here is the link

Lord of Garbagemen fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 2, 2015

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Drive it hard. You will sacrifice fuel economy now, but it'll pay off with better longevity and sustained performance in the long run (performance including fuel economy, worn rings later means you use the same amount of fuel but lose power to blowby).

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

its the dsg but i can rev it up high, im just worried about getting popped by the fascist police around here.

I guess i should ask is it just revs or revs and load? The procedure on tdiforums.whatever made it seem like load was more important than revs, but maybe you can help me out.

edit: https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=252501 here is the link

Technically, running the motor hard IS introducing a heavier load as far as the piston rings are concerned. Adding weight is kind of a way to work around it, but its better to just hard rev the motor and might not really get the seal you desire.

Remember: Piston Rings seal due to the gas pressure from the combustion chamber, higher pressures (i.e. sitting in higher revs) will help push the rings into the walls, creating a better seal and, in the long run, better 'seating' for the rings into the wall.

You want to italian tune it every now and then...say, when coming off on on ramp or merging. Give it a good thrashing. You want to do this in like Gears 2-4, not 1st.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Sep 2, 2015

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

CommieGIR posted:

Technically, running the motor hard IS introducing a heavier load as far as the piston rings are concerned. Adding weight is kind of a way to work around it, but its better to just hard rev the motor and might not really get the seal you desire.

Remember: Piston Rings seal due to the gas pressure from the combustion chamber, higher pressures (i.e. sitting in higher revs) will help push the rings into the walls, creating a better seal and, in the long run, better 'seating' for the rings into the wall.

You want to italian tune it every now and then...say, when coming off on on ramp or merging. Give it a good thrashing.

Ok, thats a little bit more reasonable. I read the guide on the forums and he said 75% throttle and i found myself doing like 60 in a 35 pretty often. Ill keep the revs in the designated ranges and just goose the throttle when its appropriate to do so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Ok, thats a little bit more reasonable. I read the guide on the forums and he said 75% throttle and i found myself doing like 60 in a 35 pretty often. Ill keep the revs in the designated ranges and just goose the throttle when its appropriate to do so.

For some more technical detail:

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

CommieGIR posted:

For some more technical detail:

This picture is setting off my 'tism pretty hard, I'll be honest.

the chamfered side of the ring should be on the inside, towards the piston. This gives the combustion gasses a pocket to go, which forces the ring into the cylinder wall to aid with sealing

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Terrible Robot posted:

This picture is setting off my 'tism pretty hard, I'll be honest.

the chamfered side of the ring should be on the inside, towards the piston. This gives the combustion gasses a pocket to go, which forces the ring into the cylinder wall to aid with sealing

You are right, that IS wrong. The chamfered needs to catch downward gasses INTERNALLY to push the rings into the wall, not the rings AWAY from the wall.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I wonder if the need for break-in could be reduced by machining the bore to a sufficiently low roughness.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

I wonder if the need for break-in could be reduced by machining the bore to a sufficiently low roughness.

The idea is you want the differences to hone themselves out to make a more perfect match with the rings, the idea being: No machined part, ring or cylinder, is perfect, so if you can let the ring and the cylinder 'match' themselves through initial wear, you can get a more perfect seal.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Guys,

I will likely be attending the Treffen South VW Show at the Atlanta Speedway. If you are in the area, see you there:

http://visithenrycountygeorgia.com/list/events/events-treffen-south-volkswagen-show

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Just bouncing the thread to keep it marked active.

It's gonna be a garage weekend, so hopefully get some new photos up.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
List of things the Audi 4k still needs from looking over it today:

- Coolant hose from the water manifold to the turbo coolant flange
- 2 x battery terminals in the engine bay for the battery move and another distribution block
- Power steering pump from a 200/5000 and hits mounting bracket and power steering hoses
- 3B intake hoses and intercooler

Things that I should do before going road-worthy:
- Run new fuel and brake lines

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Sep 26, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I may end up trying out the Speeduino setup that is shared in the EFI thread I started on the 4k.

Gotta do some breadboarding this weekend to try it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Started the Audi 90 this morning, only to be greeted by a very chunky sounding lifter rattle. Not like the normal Audi lifter clatter until the oil circulates, but a nasty sounding metal rattle.

So she is parked till I can get to the lifters. Not too expensive to fix at $12 a lifter, but not worth risking motor damage to drive.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 9, 2015

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Started the Audi 90 this morning, only to be greeted by a very chunky sounding lifter rattle. Not like the normal Audi lifter clatter until the oil circulates, but a nasty sounding metal rattle.

So she is parked till I can get to the lifters. Not too expensive to fix at $12 a lifter, but not worth risking motor damage to drive.

To follow up: Lifter noise disappeared :psyduck: I'm still likely going to take the head apart and get the valve stem seals done, I can smell burning oil on idle...

Had a guy contact me about a CL ad I posted for old Audis, he's got these two:

Somewhat Rusty black 4k Quattro

Flood damaged white 4k Quattro (he only wants $300 for it, which is awesome for a good parts car, even if the body/electrical is dead)

And some spare rims!

He wants to talk package deal, which I am open to.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Jan 2, 2016

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CommieGIR posted:

I imagine this is how things started with my uncle, and he has around eight or more Audi's on his property at any given time.

I'm not sure how many actually run. Once you're buying 80-90's Audis in bulk you've crossed over into being the crazy cat lady of misfit VAG cars.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

8ender posted:

I imagine this is how things started with my uncle, and he has around eight or more Audi's on his property at any given time.

I'm not sure how many actually run. Once you're buying 80-90's Audis in bulk you've crossed over into being the crazy cat lady of misfit VAG cars.

I already accepted that I'm the crazy Audi guy. More will come, I'm sure.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

How does your wife feel about this package deal? :v:

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

How does your wife feel about this package deal? :v:

She doesn't care, I let her buy expensive sewing/knitting stuff. We have a 'fair trade' spending plan, and we each get to buy the things we want.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

It's probably a good thing that I'm not allowed to have parts cars in the back yard because I'd have no yard left :(

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

leica posted:

It's probably a good thing that I'm not allowed to have parts cars in the back yard because I'd have no yard left :(

We're prepping to have half the back yard leveled and a slab poured for just such things, as well as our driveway expanded and a possible roundabout if the county signs off on it.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

CommieGIR posted:

We're prepping to have half the back yard leveled and a slab poured for just such things, as well as our driveway expanded and a possible roundabout if the county signs off on it.

Holy poo poo my uncle did almost the same thing, so that he could fit more Quattro's. Are you related to my uncle

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

8ender posted:

Holy poo poo my uncle did almost the same thing, so that he could fit more Quattro's. Are you related to my uncle

Unlikely, as I'm the only Audi guy in my family and extended family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lightbulb Out
Apr 28, 2006

slack jawed yokel

CommieGIR posted:

Unlikely, as I'm the only Audi guy in my family and extended family.

What if you're the uncle?

• Locked thread