Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You can't kill me, I quit!

NeurosisHead posted:

Have they said anything about when they're going to actually remove veteran ranks, rather than add more of them? I just can not bring myself to a)abandon my DC Templar and b)do the AD zones in VR.

The next patch is going to bump all veteran quest rewards by 50% and reduce the xp required to level by 15%. Just keep an experience potion or scroll active, and only do the main quest (Cadwell's journal tab). You'll get more than a vet rank per zone, with almost none of the "you can't get there from here" that makes the Bosmer AD zones uniquely terrible. Or, if you're PC NA, join the guild and I'm sure we can get some vet dungeon runs going (don't tell Scyantific!)

I don't believe they're ever going to remove veteran ranks. If there's no new veteran ranks, there's no gear progression, so there's not as much reason to buy the DLC. And given the sales they've run in advance of the DLC being released, that does seem to be their business model. Plus, it allows them to sell a 1000 crown potion of gain veteran rank somewhere down the line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
They keep saying "We're gonna remove VRs, we swear, but here, have more VRs to gain!"

It's probably a lie at this point in time.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

I kinda see what they're trying to do though. There's so much poo poo tied to the VR system right now that trying to remove them will cause a ton of problems.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Stupid question. What does the empty bar mean here?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Everytime an enchantment fires, it drains that bar. Once it's empty, the enchantment will not activate until you use a soul gem to "recharge" the weapon. (Refill the bar)

The weapon will still work fine, but you wont get that extra 300 damage from the fire enchantment until you refill it.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Keep your mind be open window everyday
Last I heard, they'd decided not to remove VR afterall. I think it's here to stay.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!

RCarr posted:

Everytime an enchantment fires, it drains that bar. Once it's empty, the enchantment will not activate until you use a soul gem to "recharge" the weapon. (Refill the bar)

The weapon will still work fine, but you wont get that extra 300 damage from the fire enchantment until you refill it.

Ah, ta. Forgot about soul gems.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

JackBadass posted:

Last I heard, they'd decided not to remove VR afterall. I think it's here to stay.

The last I had heard was when they added the last set of VR and said "we're still planning on removing them, this is just for progression while we figure out how". When did they talk about keeping them after all?

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

NeurosisHead posted:

The last I had heard was when they added the last set of VR and said "we're still planning on removing them, this is just for progression while we figure out how". When did they talk about keeping them after all?

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/07/tamriel-infinium-elder-scrolls-onlines-veteran-ranks-are-here-to-stay/

Full disclosures:
1.) I didn't read the whole thing.
2.) I don't know which info is the most current.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

JackBadass posted:

http://massivelyop.com/2015/07/07/tamriel-infinium-elder-scrolls-onlines-veteran-ranks-are-here-to-stay/

Full disclosures:
1.) I didn't read the whole thing.
2.) I don't know which info is the most current.

That posts says nothing about the VR system being permanent. It's purely dumb speculation from the author and one big YouTube ESO blogger.

On the other hand the Quake-Con presentation and the aftermath both had statements from the Design and Combat leads that VR is going away, and will be the main focus starting with Wrothgar/Orsinium.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Scyantific posted:

That posts says nothing about the VR system being permanent. It's purely dumb speculation from the author and one big YouTube ESO blogger.

On the other hand the Quake-Con presentation and the aftermath both had statements from the Design and Combat leads that VR is going away, and will be the main focus starting with Wrothgar/Orsinium.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

I've been playing a sorcerer and a nightblade, both 'dps' specced. Will I have a hard time getting a group to do dungeons (since I am not a tank or healer)? Soon I think I'll be able to go to the fungal grotto, but I really have no idea how the grouping dynamic works in this game since I've mostly just been farting around questing and stealing everything that isn't nailed down.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

You'll be among the many "dime-a-dozen" dps that are calling out for groups. The good thing is that both of those classes can be specced out for tanking or healing rather well. Carry around a resto staff and swap to it when turning in quests and level it up.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
The sorc in particular can easily be specced for healing as long as you keep a healing staff on your second bar and level those skills.

E:assuming you're a mag based sorc that is.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

drat Dirty Ape posted:

I've been playing a sorcerer and a nightblade, both 'dps' specced. Will I have a hard time getting a group to do dungeons (since I am not a tank or healer)? Soon I think I'll be able to go to the fungal grotto, but I really have no idea how the grouping dynamic works in this game since I've mostly just been farting around questing and stealing everything that isn't nailed down.

The way it seems to work is you say "pledges?" in guild chat, then somehow it's twelve hours later and you have three more master weapons.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
Those early dungeons don't need a proper trinity anyway, you can just do them as 4 dpses (be good if someone can heal though) and beat it by strength of numbers

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rough Lobster posted:

The sorc in particular can easily be specced for healing as long as you keep a healing staff on your second bar and level those skills.

E:assuming you're a mag based sorc that is.

Yeah, I have a mag based high elf sorcerer and a stam based redguard nightblade. It sounds as if it will probably be easier to do both healing and dps roles with the sorcerer.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
You could have had perfection, but you mixed up your races and classes.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Yeah, I have a mag based high elf sorcerer and a stam based redguard nightblade. It sounds as if it will probably be easier to do both healing and dps roles with the sorcerer.

What's up healer/dps sorc supremacy buddy. You'll have no problem switching between each role.

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

One of the guilds I'm in holds a weekly lotto. Seemed like a neat idea to me.

Would there be any interest from the PS4 guilders if I were to organize one?

ModeSix
Mar 14, 2009

Looking for an invite to Ebonheart goon guild @photekobv

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

Alright, I pulled the trigger on the lotto idea. If you're in the PS4 DC guild, it's 500 gold per entry, you can enter as many times as you want, and on Saturdays a winner will be drawn. Pot's only at 1000 gold at the moment, but each entry's gold goes into the pot, so the more people enter, the more you stand to win.

If you aren't in the PS4 DC guild and want in on the action, let me know and I'll shoot you an invite.

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
So I'm getting the impression my Stamina based Khajit Dragonknight was a bad idea huh. You'd think if there was such a requirement for high levels of min/max, someone would've posted what the preferred makeup of the class/races should be.

Welp.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

JackBadass posted:

Alright, I pulled the trigger on the lotto idea. If you're in the PS4 DC guild, it's 500 gold per entry, you can enter as many times as you want, and on Saturdays a winner will be drawn. Pot's only at 1000 gold at the moment, but each entry's gold goes into the pot, so the more people enter, the more you stand to win.

If you aren't in the PS4 DC guild and want in on the action, let me know and I'll shoot you an invite.

Oh man, I'd love that lotto idea to hit the PC guilds :allears:

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

you can be my wingman anytime
So I'm new to ESO online and I've been playing a Nord Templar on ps4. I'm enjoying it but feel like the leveling is really slow. I'm level 11 now. Maybe I'm just not doing the right quests but I'm grabbing EVERY quest I've run across and gotten rid of quests that I'm now over level of.

But anyway, is there any sort of auction house in game? I'd like to look at weapons to buy other than what the merchant can sell, as well as maybe provisioning recipes. Why is this so difficult for me to figure out?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Cowboybot posted:

what the preferred makeup of the class/races should be.

Every race and class combo is perfectly fine for endgame content, and any suggestions are a matter of personal preference. Spend levels 1-50 messing around finding out what skills are fun. Once you know what's fun, you can start putting together the skills, passives, and gear options that you have at your disposal. When you get to the veteran ranks, level everything you can up to the morph, you may discover some hidden benefit that is not suggested by the base skill (like how executioner makes all your two-hander abilities do 18% more damage against low-health targets). As you start doing veteran content, you'll have a better idea of what works and what doesn't, and you can adjust your build accordingly.

If you want to tank or do stamina dps, your race/class combination will serve you well. But let's take the worst case scenario, where you discover you really wanted to be magicka dps and none of your racial passives are helpful. If you find that out early, then you have the option to re-roll. If you don't, then you're missing out on a maximum of 10% dps compared to altmer/dunmer. 10% is not nothing, but it's easily lost in the noise of your ultimate, your weaving, your buff maintenance, and how much running around you have to do.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Oh man, I'd love that lotto idea to hit the PC guilds :allears:

We had a master weapon lottery 6 or 7 times this weekend. Congratulations to our jackpot winner, me.

rotaryfun posted:

So I'm new to ESO online and I've been playing a Nord Templar on ps4. I'm enjoying it but feel like the leveling is really slow. I'm level 11 now. Maybe I'm just not doing the right quests but I'm grabbing EVERY quest I've run across and gotten rid of quests that I'm now over level of.

But anyway, is there any sort of auction house in game? I'd like to look at weapons to buy other than what the merchant can sell, as well as maybe provisioning recipes. Why is this so difficult for me to figure out?

I personally find the first zone to be a bit of a slog compared to the next few zones. Your best bet on leveling is doing the main quest (so go back and get it if you abandoned it) and casually grinding dense clumps of monsters along the way (e.g. Vivec's Antlers). The grind will stop giving you experience when you're 6 levels above the monsters, so be careful you don't overlevel yourself.

Every guild with 50 members has a store for members accessible from the bank, as well as the option to bid on a "guild trader" storefront for non-members. Look on your map for the guild trader shield, and you'll find them.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

tgidieday posted:

Every guild with 50 members has a store for members accessible from the bank, as well as the option to bid on a "guild trader" storefront for non-members. Look on your map for the guild trader shield, and you'll find them.

So I guess it really makes it easier then to be a part of a guild? Or at least it just makes buying/selling more feasible?

In that case, is there an Ebonheart Pact guild on PS4 that I can join or get an invite for?
PS4 id is shoafer0

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

tgidieday posted:

Every race and class combo is perfectly fine for endgame content, and any suggestions are a matter of personal preference.

I wholly subscribe to the "gently caress the haters, play your favorite race unless you're really hardcore" mentality, but out of curiosity my next character is definitely going to be an Argonian and I'm torn between Sorc or NB tank. If I want to be Argonian, which of those two classes would be a better fit for its racials? Also, do the two tanks have a different playstyle or is it largely the same?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

rotaryfun posted:

So I guess it really makes it easier then to be a part of a guild? Or at least it just makes buying/selling more feasible?

Definitely join your local goon guild, but also keep an eye out for guild traders on the map. If the PS4 guilds are anything like they are on PC, the best guild traders will be in Mournhold (Deshaan) until you are veteran rank.

Cuckoo posted:

I wholly subscribe to the "gently caress the haters, play your favorite race unless you're really hardcore" mentality, but out of curiosity my next character is definitely going to be an Argonian and I'm torn between Sorc or NB tank. If I want to be Argonian, which of those two classes would be a better fit for its racials? Also, do the two tanks have a different playstyle or is it largely the same?

There's two levels of tanking. The normal level is putting on heavy armor, using pierce armor, blocking, and interrupting. For this, all tanks are the same. The next level is finesse: helping out your group with buffs or healing. There are a lot of great non-class skills for doing this (bone shield, war horn), so take the following with a grain of salt: I personally think dragonknights (talons, chains, shield, magma shell) and templars (breath of life, repentance/shards, remembrance) have the best options here. Sorcerers have dragonknight crowd control (restraining prison, absorption/suppression field) but no group buffs. Nightblades have templar healing (soul siphon) and something similar to dragon knight magma shell (bolstering darkness) but they are both ultimates.

Given the two options, it seems like the best fit would be a nightblade. You'll be crushing potions as an argonian, so combine that with the nightblade potion passive and blood spawn pieces, and your ultimates will have great uptime, mitigating the primary issue with nightblade tanks.

tgidieday fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Aug 24, 2015

Mr. Creakle
Apr 27, 2007

Protecting your virginity

tgidieday posted:

Definitely join your local goon guild, but also keep an eye out for guild traders on the map. If the PS4 guilds are anything like they are on PC, the best guild traders will be in Mournhold (Deshaan) until you are veteran rank.

There's two levels of tanking. The normal level is putting on heavy armor, using pierce armor, blocking, and interrupting. For this, all tanks are the same. The next level is finesse: helping out your group with buffs or healing. There are a lot of great non-class skills for doing this (bone shield, war horn), so take the following with a grain of salt. I personally think dragonknights (talons, chains, shield, magma shell) and templars (breath of life, repentance/shards, remembrance) have the best options here. Sorcerers have dragonknight crowd control (restraining prison, absorption field) but no group buffs. Nightblades have templar healing (soul siphon) and something similar to dragon knight magma shell (bolstering darkness) but they are both ultimates.

Given the two options, it seems like the best fit would be a nightblade. You'll be crushing potions as an argonian, so combine that with the nightblade potion passive and blood spawn pieces, and your ultimates will have great uptime, mitigating the primary issue with nightblade tanks.

Thanks!

I wouldn't mind being a DK tank (Wouldn't roll a Templar one, as I have a Magicka-based healer as a main and don't want to roll 2 Templars) but chose NB because if I ever said "gently caress tanking, I want to DPS", Nightblade's style probably fits me better than DK.

rotaryfun posted:

I made absolutely dick for money until joining a trading guild. Guilds are literally the AH in this game. The goon guilds are great to be in as well, but with 5 slots available I'd definitely suggest getting into a trade guild if you want to make money.

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Cuckoo posted:

Nightblade's style probably fits me better than DK.

What you think a nightblade should be is best played as a sorcerer, while what you think a sorcerer should be is best played as a nightblade.

poor life choice
Jul 21, 2006
What would a DK healer look like?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007
Igneous shield spam, not for the shield but for the 30% healing done.

http://deltiasgaming.com/2015/06/01/dragonknight-healing-build-the-infernal-warden-reborn/

LastGoodBoy
Sep 7, 2014

rotaryfun posted:

In that case, is there an Ebonheart Pact guild on PS4 that I can join or get an invite for?
PS4 id is shoafer0

Sent invites to all three guilds.

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
So I played a bit of PVP the other day and something really irked me. I kept getting basically "1 shotted" by really low level players. Like lvl 6 vs. my lvl 40ish guy. Is there some weird thing I'm missing? Am I a baddie?

tgidieday
May 7, 2007

Stanley Pain posted:

So I played a bit of PVP the other day and something really irked me. I kept getting basically "1 shotted" by really low level players. Like lvl 6 vs. my lvl 40ish guy. Is there some weird thing I'm missing? Am I a baddie?

You get scaled up to level 50 in Cyrodiil (and with the next patch to max veteran rank as well), which makes it common to get trucked by someone lower level than you. A good PvP build is all about peak damage, so if you were using light attacks and they were using soul strike, you're going to lose.

That said, since someone can't be level 6 in Cyrodiil, I assume there was a shield next to the 6 to indicate veteran rank.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

When is the Update supposed to be released? Has a concrete date been given?

Stanley Pain
Jun 16, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

tgidieday posted:

You get scaled up to level 50 in Cyrodiil (and with the next patch to max veteran rank as well), which makes it common to get trucked by someone lower level than you. A good PvP build is all about peak damage, so if you were using light attacks and they were using soul strike, you're going to lose.

That said, since someone can't be level 6 in Cyrodiil, I assume there was a shield next to the 6 to indicate veteran rank.

Could be something up with my UI showing level 6, there are no vetran ranks in the non VR campaign unless that changed recently :shobon:

It wasn't a one time occurrence either. I'd go from full health to dead in the time it took the global cooldown to refresh :/ I think it's been to long since I've played and theres a bunch of meta stuff I'm missing. I looked at the combat log and saw that they were landing a ton of hits between me being able to get off on hit and then be promptly dead. The build I have used to be pretty good at 1v1 so I'm not even sure what's up.

rotaryfun
Jun 30, 2008

JackBadass posted:

Sent invites to all three guilds.

Rock on! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Berke Negri posted:

When is the Update supposed to be released? Has a concrete date been given?

Next Monday.

So, come back on Tuesday/Wednesday after the initial clusterfuck.

E: Speaking of, now is the time to start organizing Goon Runs for Imperial City Prison and White-Gold Tower. Both Normal and Veteran Modes. Ennu, Pluto, and I are in one group and we'll need someone solid for our fourth.

Guessing we'll do runs the weekend after release?

Synthwave Crusader fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Aug 24, 2015

• Locked thread