Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

Jimbosaurus posted:

So here is something we need to get our hands on and do. Prestige means nothing if you can't back it up with a dance competition. https://eu.portal.sf.my.com/comments/55ccc9faac7209d4747ebb60?page=1

No. It's a lot of work for very little reward and have you ever tried getting goons to do something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Martout
Aug 8, 2007

None so deprived

Melanion posted:

Tanking trash in this game means exhausting your defensive cooldowns and then knocking down/kiting the mobs until they come back up. Knights have a moderate amount of always-on mitigation with Barrier II but the encounters are still designed with the idea that trash packs should lead brief lives and spend most of those lives CC'd or unable to punch through shields while DPS kill them.

When properly built Paladins have a rotation of Shield->Aegis->Shield->Right-Mouse knockdown that is infinitely repeatable with smaller barriers from dashing/impulse consumption covering the fractions of a second between abilities. Done correctly (Which is not the easiest thing in the world, at least not for me) you have zero time spent vulnerable.

I did end up switching to pally for trash packs and died a whole lots less as a result but it's not a whole lot of fun. The biggest difference between a tank and a non-tank is that the tank can take 4 hits instead of just 2 :(

Those loving Dryads in Darlen Facility for example, I just made sure I got their attention and then kept them out of LoS until they did the cast animation for the red grass that follows players around when I did a taunt and some damage and then back to hiding or they'd schwack me in three hits. Super engaging gameplay! No wonder the pubbie instance queue is short on tanks.

lewtt
Apr 2, 2011

The Great Twist
:siren:VOTE NOW OR FOREVER HOLD YOUR PIECE :siren:

ps: you have to login

https://na.portal.sf.my.com/comments/55d7acde37986b4ee9ac6b31/

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?
Alas, 41k is the last reliquary.

Quite disappointing.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.

Martout posted:

Pretty much, especially when tanking trash mobs. Daren facility bosses are chumps compared to the trash.

Daren Facility is actually one of the easy ones I've been able to do reliably. My first real roadblock was the one temple instance that has a boss that just summons all of the adds forever after it gets to about half dead, I've yet to see a group able to deal with it.

ttocs7
Sep 14, 2010
Probably Hespilon Temple's first boss.

It's tough, but with some control and attentive DPS it's fine. I've honestly had a harder time (at first) with the carrion berserkers than that boss's adds, but I've since figured those out.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.

Morglon posted:

No. It's a lot of work for very little reward and have you ever tried getting goons to do something?

woah there god of no-fun, way to harsh the dance buzz.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

ttocs7 posted:

Probably Hespilon Temple's first boss.

It's tough, but with some control and attentive DPS it's fine. I've honestly had a harder time (at first) with the carrion berserkers than that boss's adds, but I've since figured those out.

I had a group legit almost beat that boss without a tank. Only had three bars to go and if some of the others had focused on the adds a bit more I think we would have had it.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

heard the walls are paper thin from where you are to where I am

Martout posted:

Those loving Dryads in Darlen Facility for example, I just made sure I got their attention and then kept them out of LoS until they did the cast animation for the red grass that follows players around when I did a taunt and some damage and then back to hiding or they'd schwack me in three hits. Super engaging gameplay! No wonder the pubbie instance queue is short on tanks.

I honestly think you're supposed to kite those dryads. Their damage is insane for something that takes a boss-like amount of time to kill and there are those four pits arranged neatly. I don't see fighting them in terms of the challenge of 'can you not take too much damage', I see them in terms of how stationary I can keep them so the DPS can unload.

goldjas
Feb 22, 2009

I HATE ALL FORMS OF FUN AND ENTERTAINMENT. I HATE BEAUTY. I AM GOLDJAS.
The Dryads just kill you instantly unless you just basically run around the entire zone like a chicken with it's head cut off, because (as far as I know) they have two main attacks, one is a ranged attack that hits for a billion damage, another is this vine thing that kind of tracks you and basically instantly kills you if it ever hits you, and what you want to do is make sure that when the ranged attack hits you have shield/invuln up, and that you just never get hit by the vine tracking thing. They are honestly really annoying to tank because you just run around like an idiot, more so then normally even.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Don't stand in the thorns, the rest depends on your support. I used to be able to just face tank them early on but lately my supports have been doing more bitching than shielding so I have to do some kiting but most of it is actually fairly straight forward. Of course it all depends on your spec and timing too and you pretty much need all the symbols that give you extra shield on dodge, impulse and what have you.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
Where I can get the pink sparks (the one who block the atlas chokepoints)?

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
You won't be seeing those until 30k+ prestige.

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.
For Daren yeah, I just grab aggro and stand on the other side of one of the squares, it takes the shortest path to you so you can quickly move left and right to keep it in place. I pop out every now and again to immune and hit it with massive verdict and then back to trying to keep it still. They are kinda dumb fights but if your support is good they'll know to just buff dps.

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010
Lanber catacombs is hooking it up with the shards. First I log in and see I need a few blue shards on my way on the necromancer path (pretty close, I would probably be there if I had gone straight here instead of continuing on the way to berserker), check the missions and boom a blue x3 lanber catacombs, do it and the sub missions and get 540 sparks (I'm only 2.6 or .7k prestige so this is a ton for me, dunno if it is later on), then I see I need some red sparks. What do I notice? x2 red lanber catacombs

I probably should be doing some holy text missions since my temples are drastically needing upgraded but I can't pass up these opportunities to bolt across the grid. Necromancer here I come! It seems like a fun class from what I've played of it (a little bit of a promo mission thing that I quit, and a couple combat trainings) and it'll probably be more fun for soloing than paladin. Though the more I play paladin the more I like it, pretty rock solid class. The damage is kinda awful but the shields are incredibly useful. Am I right in assuming if I want damage I should be focusing on impulse for paladin? But aiming for str and spirit ring wise, not that I get a ton of choice in the matter

DemonTrigger
May 30, 2011

I'M MAKIN' IT GP RAIN

Apparently I can't figure out how to send PMs in this game because the chat system is garbage, but if there is any room in the guild or a space on the waiting list, I would like to join. IGN is Demon Trigger.

Digital Fingers
Sep 2, 2012

DemonTrigger posted:

Apparently I can't figure out how to send PMs in this game because the chat system is garbage, but if there is any room in the guild or a space on the waiting list, I would like to join. IGN is Demon Trigger.

Enter and then the arrow keys to pick chat channels/search for players.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Eerkik posted:

Am I right in assuming if I want damage I should be focusing on impulse for paladin? But aiming for str and spirit ring wise, not that I get a ton of choice in the matter

Impulse isn't just good for damage, it's an integral part of your tanking. There are fights where you absolutely cannot go without at least a bit of protection for even a fraction of a second and the symbols that grant a small shield upon dashing/impulse consumption are the way to cover those gaps in your shield/knockdown rotations.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Melanion posted:

Impulse isn't just good for damage, it's an integral part of your tanking. There are fights where you absolutely cannot go without at least a bit of protection for even a fraction of a second and the symbols that grant a small shield upon dashing/impulse consumption are the way to cover those gaps in your shield/knockdown rotations.

Keep in mind that the important thing here is that it happens, not that it actually does damage so no need to build for spirit. There are symbols that give you extra charges you should take and some of the Knight talents but those are obviously Knight only.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I'll keep pestering people as I can, but I'm gonna be on in a minute as Literally Yourdad if someone can invite me to the pantheon!

Eerkik
Feb 13, 2010

Morglon posted:

Keep in mind that the important thing here is that it happens, not that it actually does damage so no need to build for spirit. There are symbols that give you extra charges you should take and some of the Knight talents but those are obviously Knight only.

Thanks, been kinda focusing for spirit and probably gonna stop now in favor of str and luck. Valor doesn't seem that great

thanks for all the advice guys, I was just eyeing the symbol that gives a shield on impulse for later on. Currently I just wanna unlock some more classes but for paladin I imagine for symbols I'll be going for impulse charge symbol, shield on dash and shield on impulse. Right now I only have 2 symbols unlocked, the 10% strength bonus and the dash shield, but the dash shield is pretty loving handy. I should probably start doing more group content but ugh playing with pubbies. Plus I still haven't gotten a lot of the threat skills, I just finally unlocked the 4 button aoe threat a half hour ago, haven't reset my build for it yet, gonna wait til I have waves of holiness and maybe a couple more talents I'd rather use than the ones I have equipped. The particles of transformation just don't seem to be coming in nearly as well as anything else so I wanna save them as much as possible for class unlocks.

Eerkik fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Aug 23, 2015

Deadmeat5150
Nov 21, 2005

OLD MAN YELLS AT CLAN
This game is not friendly to the casual player who gets only a limited amount of time to play.

Melanion
Jun 7, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

This game is not friendly to the casual player who gets only a limited amount of time to play.

Depends on your definition of friendly, I suppose. This game is very friendly to someone who has small chunks of time to play in--you can log on, send your adepts out and do a couple of adventures or a group dungeon in the space of an hour, then log off again. It's true that you can't progress terribly quickly without moderate time investment, but with prestige scaling you will still get groups even if the majority of the playerbase is much more progressed than you.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
When does this game get... fun? I'm a paladin at 1200 prestige and so far it just seems like a slog. I really want to like this game, the setting is cool and I like the sphere grid but this can't be all there is to it, can it?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

metasynthetic posted:

When does this game get... fun? I'm a paladin at 1200 prestige and so far it just seems like a slog. I really want to like this game, the setting is cool and I like the sphere grid but this can't be all there is to it, can it?

The second you unlock Archer.

Sash23-83
Jan 23, 2010

lost

Eerkik posted:

Thanks, been kinda focusing for spirit and probably gonna stop now in favor of str and luck. Valor doesn't seem that great

thanks for all the advice guys, I was just eyeing the symbol that gives a shield on impulse for later on. Currently I just wanna unlock some more classes but for paladin I imagine for symbols I'll be going for impulse charge symbol, shield on dash and shield on impulse. Right now I only have 2 symbols unlocked, the 10% strength bonus and the dash shield, but the dash shield is pretty loving handy. I should probably start doing more group content but ugh playing with pubbies. Plus I still haven't gotten a lot of the threat skills, I just finally unlocked the 4 button aoe threat a half hour ago, haven't reset my build for it yet, gonna wait til I have waves of holiness and maybe a couple more talents I'd rather use than the ones I have equipped. The particles of transformation just don't seem to be coming in nearly as well as anything else so I wanna save them as much as possible for class unlocks.

Outside of 5mans (and maybe higher content) you don't really need special threat skills. Waves of Holiness is more of an emergency, "Oh poo poo, I lost aggro!" button, and Mass Verdict has such a long wind up it is only useful as an opener/maintaining threat on enemies you pretty much have to kite (See Dryads in Daren Facility). If your team has half a brain, they'll attack what you attack and not pull aggro unless they're higher prestige and you aren't scaled up.

As for Transformation things, you'll be swimming in them later but if you need some badly you can get ~35 by redoing the very first region, only takes about 5 minutes. Alternatively, repeating any region results in a large influx of them.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Massive Verdict is only ever good as an opener, if you're trying to keep single target aggro the basic one that's instant and does tons of damage will be way better. As for the waves yeah, you do want the taunt because you'll never lose aggro unless the enemy resets it which happens more often than in other games. Of course you also have your charge taunt that'll usually do the trick but you won't have time to stand around and channel poo poo uninterrupted most of the time anyway so might as well.

Jimbosaurus
Feb 3, 2004
I believe in Jesus, our one Lord and GOD to be man's savior. Let us praise him at all times.
So, I think I just played a pvp match against a speed hacker. Whether it's true or not, thank you random dude playing a gunner that warped across the map round trip like 15 seconds from his flag to capture our flag, back to his flag for the cap. That pvp match lasted like 3 minutes instead of 20ish.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

I want people like that in my 10v10s so they end faster

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Jimbosaurus posted:

So, I think I just played a pvp match against a speed hacker. Whether it's true or not, thank you random dude playing a gunner that warped across the map round trip like 15 seconds from his flag to capture our flag, back to his flag for the cap. That pvp match lasted like 3 minutes instead of 20ish.

When Monks do that naturally, speed hacking seems unnecessary.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Liberatore posted:

When Monks do that naturally, speed hacking seems unnecessary.

A what? What the gently caress is a Monk?

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.

Drinkfist posted:

A what? What the gently caress is a Monk?

Some OCD guy who solves crimes or something.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
Is there a class that doesn't require Cookie-Clicker-constant-clicking to do damage besides Gunner? I don't know if I can keep up the mousework for the weeks it will take to get to Gunner.

Anal Papist
Jun 2, 2011

Cryomancer is obscene DPS and requires you to hold buttons down rather than mash keys.

Drinkfist
Aug 2, 2005

Necromancer is best class. :getin:

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

MrBims posted:

Is there a class that doesn't require Cookie-Clicker-constant-clicking to do damage besides Gunner? I don't know if I can keep up the mousework for the weeks it will take to get to Gunner.

Alchemist can also hold LClick for single-target or hold Rclick for AoE. Every 8 or 5 (respectively) attacks you'll want to detonate the stack by the other click, then go back.

These build resource, but it's also very easy to spend Alchemist's resource.

Unfortunately, it's just as far as Gunner.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 17:07 on Aug 23, 2015

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Just like your posting.
Nonsense, Gunner is a few weeks out, Alchemist is just 60 bucks away.

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

With alchemist you just swap the mouse mashing for the mashing of the ooze key. It's not much better

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,

Kessel posted:

With alchemist you just swap the mouse mashing for the mashing of the ooze key. It's not much better

Alternatively, Toxic Emission (and its talents) or Disintegrate. These (and oozes) are keyboard by default, though you could always rebind them to a mouse.

It's way better than what he's talking about - where you left-click constantly to do things.

Evil_Greven fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Aug 23, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kessel
Mar 6, 2007

Yeah, I'm exaggerating for effect. There's going to be mashing either way, though.

Don't you have to mash during gunner's plasma phase, too?

• Locked thread