Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

MrChips posted:

Birthday today :confuoot:

Too late, yesterday was when the old cool people had a birthday.

Happy birthday anyway! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

NEAI got to this point much later than I expected based on last night's Snaps.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Mooseykins posted:

I had some tuna once and it was gross. I also once ate an achovie by mistake and thought i was going to die puke. With the effect the smell has on me, i am absolutely not going to put it in my mouth.

This is like refusing to eat a filet mignon because you had bad experiences with a beef hot dog and an overcooked frozen hamburger.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Fish and what not is delicious. Shellfish is not because I'm allergic to shellfish. Everyone seems to forget this and invites me out for sushi. :smith: I know there's sushi without shellfish in there but the risk of cross-contamination isn't worth it.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
i'll eat nearly anything in fact the only thing ive ever refused to eat is natto

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

This is more Cycle Asylum than AI, and my cell phone has a poo poo camera, but dad's latest project is making progress:

https://youtu.be/C1hEQ8t8LjE

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
Received a check from our mortgage group for $3k that they thought they would need for taxes but didn't! Yay! Oh, what's that dear? It is going to our savings and the most we will spend from it is treating ourselves to a good lunch out? Ok! This is a pretty awesome Saturday.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

14 INCH SLIT posted:

Mistakes were made. Others will be blamed.

you should try turning it in for warranty.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

corn in the fridge posted:

i'll eat nearly anything in fact the only thing ive ever refused to eat is natto

Natto is delicious though. It just smells bad.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Phone posted:

ETA on delivery is 30-40 days. It takes 2 weeks to go from Hiroshima to the west coast, and about 4 weeks to go from Hiroshima and through the Panama Canal. There are at least two east coast ports: Jacksonville and Baltimore, and it's put on a truck for the last leg of the trip. There are a bunch of people on mnet who are tracking boats coming out of Japan, so I might try to find that information in a few weeks.

What a world we live in that we can track the boats our cars are on via satellite. loving crazy and awesome.

This is so great, I love it.

Last night a buddy of mine that has recently been teaching himself to draw said "hey after we saw Mad Max I started a cartoon portrait of you, but never finished it, but check it out anyway":

Not only do I know understand more of why we're friends, I think he should finish it :)

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Ether Frenzy posted:

So on one side you have a Englishman who's eaten an anchovy once and decided he doesn't like fish and somehow has avoided ever eating a fish & chips in 26 years of living in old blighty.

and on the other side you have a bunch of Americans who've never eaten food in England that wasn't a Burger King and have formed an opinion that english food sucks because they had a bad Whopper at Heathrow and they've heard all the jokes from the 1960's so it must be true - while not noticing that half the top chefs in the world are english

I ate a bunch of fish-n-chips in the UK when I was there for a few weeks, and the only one that wowed me was in Cardiff. poo poo must have been caught that morning because it was fantastic. I was on hostel budget, wish I had more cash at the time to try nicer places but we were spending all our money on beer at pubs and red wine at tesco. We did spring for one three-digit meal at a nice place but I don't remember it at all so meh.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

The Locator posted:

It's 105 degrees outside. At 6:35pm.

95F in Dallas/Ft. Worth @ 8 PM, and 52% humidity.
Fortunately I'm in SoCal right now, and it's 74F. 78% humidity, but there's a lovely breeze off the Pacific. also, it's only 6 PM. :)

El Segundo had a Car Show on Main Street today, so I felt I needed to see that. Uploading pics now, will post in Awesome Car Things when done.
I think I'll go out to Irwindale or Auto Club dragway tomorrow.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So my loveable "fun uncle" just came by the house with a 93 notchback foxbody in terrible shape, 4 cylinder automatic, saying something about how he doesn't know how he'll keep going to work and also find time to change the u joints in the drive shaft. I sent him away with my old beater truck, I told him I'd get the joints changed and he can just bring the truck back then.

While all the sensible people around me are telling me what a bad idea it is to let him borrow the truck, I'm over here wondering if he'd like to swap vehicles with me. I'll have to throw some pictures up tomorrow.

So far I've gone to relocate it on my street and roll the window up only to find that 1) the window doesn't roll up and 2) I can't get the key out of the ignition now. He had left it in when he showed up and it came out like normal, but he'd said something about how you have to try hard to get the ignition cylinder to move after parking it so I guess that's the issue. Oh also he says the U joints went bad because 6 months ago he accidentally employed the car and it's bell housing as an impromptu stump puller then "pulled the drive train back straight with a come along and put some c-clamps on it". Surely I'm smart enough not to want this car. Surely.

T1g4h
Aug 6, 2008

I AM THE SCALES OF JUSTICE, CONDUCTOR OF THE CHOIR OF DEATH!

Jack B Nimble posted:

So my loveable "fun uncle" just came by the house with a 93 notchback foxbody in terrible shape, 4 cylinder automatic, saying something about how he doesn't know how he'll keep going to work and also find time to change the u joints in the drive shaft. I sent him away with my old beater truck, I told him I'd get the joints changed and he can just bring the truck back then.

While all the sensible people around me are telling me what a bad idea it is to let him borrow the truck, I'm over here wondering if he'd like to swap vehicles with me. I'll have to throw some pictures up tomorrow.

So far I've gone to relocate it on my street and roll the window up only to find that 1) the window doesn't roll up and 2) I can't get the key out of the ignition now. He had left it in when he showed up and it came out like normal, but he'd said something about how you have to try hard to get the ignition cylinder to move after parking it so I guess that's the issue. Oh also he says the U joints went bad because 6 months ago he accidentally employed the car and it's bell housing as an impromptu stump puller then "pulled the drive train back straight with a come along and put some c-clamps on it". Surely I'm smart enough not to want this car. Surely.

Strip it, gut it, cage it, stuff a 302 / 351 in it mated to a T56, and turn it into a drift monster :getin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EphjLzP0OT0

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

turns out the 3rd bolt wasn't actually the 3rd starter bolt, it was just some bolt. The 3rd starter bolt was hiding behind it.

And then after all that hassle to change starters, it seems the problem may have been my battery terminals all along.

May have been. I didn't try old starter + new terminals, so it's entirely possible the old starter was also bad. For my own happiness, I choose to believe that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

May have been. I didn't try old starter + new terminals, so it's entirely possible the old starter was also bad. For my own happiness, I choose to believe that.

This is the same logic I used when I replaced a fuel pump on my Volvo 240, only to discover that the fuse that powered the ECM had a bad holder. (Common problem but mine had already been replaced by the PO so I never considered it.)

I still maintain that pump was bad :pseudo:

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I bought a new starter for my bus because the old one was weak (even bought a new battery), but after doing the oil seals the starter works like new, because I inadvertently cleaned the ground points :eng99:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Replaced the fuel pump in my truck assuming it would fix an issue I was having. It fixed a completely different issue, so the pump was in fact failing, it just wasn't the source of my original problem! :eng101:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I usually park in the driveway (garage is too full of poo poo to get a car in there), and the only easy way to get out there is via the overhead door.

I hit the button for the door. And the door opener starts running. But the door isn't moving, yet the arm that attaches to it is moving fine. :sigh:

That explains the 2 bolts I found on the ground the other day. Turns out it ripped two of them out of the door (again), and the 3rd must have ripped out today. Stupid sheet metal door, there's a few sets of holes where the bracket has torn out before. Except every time we noticed a bolt fall out or something and caught it before it ripped completely off, except when the spring broke.

I kind of hacked it back into working - found a couple of starter holes on the door, but had to lengthen the arm on the door opener to make the bracket reach. Got 2 of the bolts in there, then realized I had to clearance the beam at the top of the door slightly with a BFH. I'll dig out my drill tomorrow and get the 3rd bolt in. Need to adjust the open and close positions by about 1/4". I'd prefer to just replace the door and opener (opener is a 21 year old noisy as poo poo Genie screw drive that hasn't been maintained at all, door is bent from when the spring broke and ripped the bolts out of the door opener mount at the same time), but as long as it opens and closes for now, it's just gonna have to wait.

I need to get a working lock for the door in case the door opener calls it quits for good. There is a lock on it, but we never got a key for it, and the lock has been painted over anyway - it can only be locked/unlocked from inside (lock bar is bent really bad anyway, so if you hulk it you'll pop it out of the rail easily).

On the up side, my mileage has definitely gone way up since replacing the thermostat. Haven't run a full tank through it, but it's definitely taking a lot longer to go through a quarter tank.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Mooseykins posted:

You're thinking of Ireland.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nhTLaD1n2g :v:

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
We popped electrotechniks cherry with CSB dick pics

elektrotechnik
Sep 7, 2012
I cannot unsee them

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

It is rather hard to forget about something that really shouldn't be attached to a human, isn't it?

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Mid trip report: I'm the only one not drunk and I still do dumb poo poo. Only minimal blood loss. 10/10 would NEAI again.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
lol at anyone intimidated by csbdick

big dong wanter
Jan 28, 2010

The future for this country is roads, freeways and highways

To the dangerzone

14 INCH SLIT posted:

lol at anyone intimidated by csbdick

we arent all 14 inches

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Pham Nuwen posted:

turns out the 3rd bolt wasn't actually the 3rd starter bolt, it was just some bolt. The 3rd starter bolt was hiding behind it.

And then after all that hassle to change starters, it seems the problem may have been my battery terminals all along.

When my wife's civic left her stranded at work, I fuckled with the cables going to it and it worked again. Then it left her stranded again. So I replaced the starter, thinking it fixed the issue. Then it left her stranded a third time. It was then that I undid the electrical tape around the positive terminal, which I'd replaced 3 years prior because it went from metal to green granola. I found that the lead terminal was fine, but the copper cable was turning green again. I replaced the positive side lead from the battery to the ECU and starter. $29 fix. After I'd spent $300 on a honda genuine starter :negative: Car diagnoses can be just as stupid at computer diagnoses. "Is it plugged in? :rolleye:"

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

Powershift posted:

I'm going to install a back-up alarm in everything i own.

It has the same effect as honking the horn to get people to move out of the way, but doesn't piss them off or make you look like an rear end in a top hat. If you honk the horn at people standing behind you in the parking lot, you look like an impatient jerk. Put it in reverse and it starts beeping, that's a safety feature, you're being safe and they move out of the way without even really thinking about it.

frost advisories being issued now, as well.

Pack it up, it's all over. you wasted your summer.
Really bright LED backup light pods do the same thing. My old truck came from a fleet company, so it had a beeper. I swapped it with a 13w LED.

i like Ham
Dec 25, 2006

I'm a big fancy business man. Mind if I check you'r prostate?

The Jabberwocky posted:

Hey so is there anybody in the Austin, TX area that's willing to go check out a car at a dealer for me? I'd pay you for your time and\or expertise.

Not sure if you still need some help with this or not, I just saw it. In Cabo until Tuesday night, but then I've got the entire rest of the week off and I would be happy to go take a look for you. What are you looking at?

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008
Traveling for work today. I'm going to get so much overtime this week due to travel. I don't have PMs but I'll be about half an hour from Boston if anyone wants to get dinner. I know that I missed out on NEAI.

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

Shenzhen (formerly Portland), Oregon. Looking east from SW 23rd. That's not fog.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Really bright LED backup light pods do the same thing. My old truck came from a fleet company, so it had a beeper. I swapped it with a 13w LED.

Not around here. When every brotruck has 30 feet of them slathered on every corner, people ignore it.

People seem to ignore back-up lights, and large chunks of steel moving towards them, but a little eardrum shattering "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" and they move like it's an ambulance.

i crawled under there and the speaker itself is only a little 2 inch box. i could probably hide that in the trunk of the cars and it would still be loud from the outside.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Well the weekend is over, am I in my new house?

No. Builder has apparently done all the paperwork required of him so we're waiting for the warranty certificate. The house looks fantastic but it's
Still
Not
loving
OURS.

So everything has to happen this coming week, because I'm back to work on the 31st and my son has to be resident in that area to go to school the following week. All the paperwork and solicitors bullshit and bank bullshit etc.

Good thing the loving builder isn't going on loving holiday later this loving week then.

I could legit throttle the man.

E: you can buy reverse bulbs with beepers built in, easy installation compared to wiring in a special box

The house is full of boxes and everyone is stressed and I can't loving deal with it anymore

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 20:25 on Aug 23, 2015

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Shenzhen (formerly Portland), Oregon. Looking east from SW 23rd. That's not fog.

Here's Missoula on Friday:

We haven't even had the worst air quality in the area. Cleared up yesterday due to some wind and storms, but it's all starting to come back in.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

RIP Paul Walker posted:

Is it smug? :smug:

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Preoptopus posted:

Is it smug? :smug:

That's a pre-existing condition. With all the surrounding states on fire it's really dicking up the air quality here in Utah even. We do a rather fine job of polluting the air we breathe without forest fires thanks.

Knock on wood we've actually done a decent job at not catching on fire for a while. Good thing too since we've had some dry years.

Mooseykins
Aug 9, 2013

Triangle tits and an annoying sex voice?

Fuuuuck youuuuu sluuuut!

sharkytm posted:

Powershift posted:

Not around here. When every brotruck has 30 feet of them slathered on every corner, people ignore it.

People seem to ignore back-up lights, and large chunks of steel moving towards them, but a little eardrum shattering "BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP" and they move like it's an ambulance.

In my van, with all the lights on, which is 2 reverse lights, 2 reverse LED lights, two rear flashing lights, rear corner flashing lights and hazard lights on, people will look right at it (Well, you can't miss the loving thing.) and still walk behind it when reversing. Some trucks here have to have reverse alarms by law, which people ignore all the time. People are idiots. There is not cure, fix or solution.

mafoose
Oct 30, 2006

volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and vulvas and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dongs and volvos and dons and volvos and dogs and volvos and cats and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs and volvos and dogs

IOwnCalculus posted:

280Z is fine. 280ZX makes less power, weighs more, has an overly complex interior, has an awful fuel injection setup, and an awful ignition setup. Both are unreliable and lovely even when working.

If you wanted to gut the whole loving thing it might be better but at that point you could do the same to a 280Z and still have a better car.

Show me where the bad datto touched you.

I'm an s30 guy at heart, but I'll let you in on a few secrets. The stripper 79/80 ZXs are actually lighter than the 78 280z. They also use the exact same drivetrain as the late (78-78) 280zs, same efi system, and made the same power. The lower power number on the plaque comes from dyno standard differences between sae gross and sae net.

1980 ZXs got updated transmissions (-80 5 speeds are weak), with a gearing revision again in 1981 and a switch to a high compression, better flowing head, and o2 sensor feedback in the efi. The biggest driving differences between a Z (s30) and ZX (s130) come from the ZX having rack and pinion steering and semi-trailing rear suspension. It's true though, they do feel less sporty than the earlier cars, but come loaded with power everything and a cushier suspension.
ZXs are also much more aerodynamic than Zs (stock for stock).

Even with all the "improvements", I'd still prefer a Z.
(But I'd love an 82+ ZX turbo for a DD)

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

mafoose posted:

Show me where the bad datto touched you.

I'm an s30 guy at heart, but I'll let you in on a few secrets. The stripper 79/80 ZXs are actually lighter than the 78 280z. They also use the exact same drivetrain as the late (78-78) 280zs, same efi system, and made the same power. The lower power number on the plaque comes from dyno standard differences between sae gross and sae net.

1980 ZXs got updated transmissions (-80 5 speeds are weak), with a gearing revision again in 1981 and a switch to a high compression, better flowing head, and o2 sensor feedback in the efi. The biggest driving differences between a Z (s30) and ZX (s130) come from the ZX having rack and pinion steering and semi-trailing rear suspension. It's true though, they do feel less sporty than the earlier cars, but come loaded with power everything and a cushier suspension.
ZXs are also much more aerodynamic than Zs (stock for stock).

Even with all the "improvements", I'd still prefer a Z.
(But I'd love an 82+ ZX turbo for a DD)

My wife had a 79, which eventually went to my youngest brother. That thing was a never ending source of fuel leaks, coolant leaks, ignition problems, and emissions trouble. It would also vapor lock if it got too warm.

Just to loving spite us, the drat thing had a master cylinder failure the day the people who ended up buying it came to inspect it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
You don't want those late model S30s, anyway. Get an earlier 2-seater 240, and it'll even be smog exempt :getin:

• Locked thread