Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

It would be way more interesting that she was working for the Russian Osip. Then it would be way more believable where he just wanted to burn everything to the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
I wish she did anything other than be an outlet for Frank's dialogue and not grow as a character at all

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I think this show suffered from the same problem a lot of career revival shows suffer from. McConaughey and Harrellson both made successful forays into TV drama so the agents of McAdams, Farrell, and Vaughn all wanted their guys to compete on screen time and spotlight. Throw in the fourth dude who was John Carter and you get another guy dipping into TV time. All of it together forces the writers to use these big namers equally which leads to a bogged down plot with forced dialogue.

What made season 1 so good was that it had a unique story telling element with two main stars feeding off each other to develop and push the pace. What made season 2 so mediocre was that it had four stars and two plots with no real flavor of its own.

BlackIronHeart posted:

Would Vince Vaughn's character been more interesting if his wife was a figment of his imagination? A delusion based on his desire for a 'normal' domestic life?

I think she should have been used better as an innocent wife who gets caught up in Vaughn's poo poo.

Really though Vaughn shouldn't have been kicked around so much this season. He should have been way more successful, maybe be one of the evil guys in on the sex ring plot, then right when he has a wife who's pregnant and is about to get out of the game, the Russians kill them all. Not a random revenge stabbing by the Mexicans, just make Vaughn the thoroughly hosed over person at the end. Farrell's character didn't need to die, and he only died because they were going for a gut punch on a paternity test that no one cared about. Woodrough also didn't either need to die or be developed as a character at all. If he was just a hothead cop that was discovered to be a closeted homosexual angry at his own sexuality then that would have been a good reveal when he died in his boyfriends house after getting a hit put on him by the corrupt officials, not dying because he didn't do a corner check before running out of a subway station.

Doltos fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Aug 18, 2015

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011
Another thing that bothers me is that the sheer amount of bodies dropped reduce the impact of each individual death.

Including all plot relevant* offscreen/backstory deaths:

S1:
1995 victim
2012 victim
Rust's daughter
Drug stash dude shot by biker
Tuttle
Ledoux
Childress

S2:
Fake rapist
Caspere
Stan
Amarillo's henchman #1
Amarillo's henchman #2
Amarillo's henchman #3
Amarillo's machine gunner
Amarillo
Bystander #1
Bystander #2
Bystander #3
Bystander #4
Fat cop
Cop #1
Cop #2
Cop #3
Birdman's dad
Birdman's mom
Orgy thug
Orgy photographer girl
Orgy girl killed by mexicans
Holloway's henchman #1
Holloway's henchman #2
Holloway's henchman #3
Holloway's henchman #4
Gay biker
State investigator
The mayor
Blake
Osip's henchman #1
Osip's henchman #2
Osip's henchman #3
Osip's henchman #4
Osip's henchman #5
Osip's henchman #6
Osip
Holloway
Birdman
Burris' henchman #1
Burris' henchman #2
Velcro
Frank

I may have missed some because that's Game of Thrones levels of corpses, mostly extras(and Stan).

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Do we know how much of the dialogue from season one was made up by Harrelson and McConaughey? Maybe the fact that they are two waaaaaaaay better actors and were given a bit more say helped out the writing of last season. OR, maybe last season the editors and producers had more say and just sort of let Pizzollato off the chain for this one because season one was such a hit.

nasboat
Sep 9, 2004

Asehujiko posted:

Another thing that bothers me is that the sheer amount of bodies dropped reduce the impact of each individual death.

S1:
1995 victim
2012 victim
Rust's daughter
Tuttle
Ledoux
Childress

I've always wondered whether Ginger lived or died. I believe that Rust says he left him in a ditch somewhere, but that's kind of open-ended.

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax

Asehujiko posted:

S1:
1995 victim
2012 victim
Rust's daughter
Tuttle
Ledoux
Childress

You missed DeWall

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Solice Kirsk posted:

Do we know how much of the dialogue from season one was made up by Harrelson and McConaughey? Maybe the fact that they are two waaaaaaaay better actors and were given a bit more say helped out the writing of last season. OR, maybe last season the editors and producers had more say and just sort of let Pizzollato off the chain for this one because season one was such a hit.

I think it was just that they were much better actors and they worked with a director who actually had creative control, rather than directors who weren't allowed to showcase their skills. I mean, they had Justin Lin, an action director, who didn't director the biggest action scene of the season. He isn't exactly known for his dramatic movies.

You had no memorable cinematography in season 2. In season 1, Louisiana itself was almost like a character. For shots, you have the one long take in the ghetto with McConaughey. What is there in season 2? About a billion loving stock shots of highways that everyone mocks.

Megasabin posted:

The Tim Watches True Detective video illustrates a view point that's going to be problematic moving forward. People really just want Occult Detective, and that's not necessarily what the show is. That's fine with me, because I actually think the 1st season had a pretty bad ending, and the Occult stuff amounted to a whole lot of nothing. Other people probably are never going to be satisfied with another season unless it involves cults and copy pasted monologuing from Cosmic Horror books.

So you'd rather have a copy and pasted plot and bad ending from Chinatown? The second season was basically that, except done really incompetently.

The occult elements made it interesting, because people are getting burned out on cop shows. I was fine with them having no occult elements, but they replaced it with nothing but a bunch of characters and a plot nobody cared about. At least if it had occult elements and failed, it'd be an interesting failure. As it stands, it is the worst kind of failure. A boring one.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
Haha are we really at the point in the thread where people say Breaking Bad wasn't a great TV show?

Never quit goons.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Unzip and Attack posted:

Haha are we really at the point in the thread where people say Breaking Bad wasn't a great TV show?

Never quit goons.

You liked bb? Lol.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
That s1 death toll thinks the ghetto rip-and-run only killed one person? :psyduck:

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
We definitely see a bunch of black bangers being gunned down.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Black Bones posted:

That s1 death toll thinks the ghetto rip-and-run only killed one person? :psyduck:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmhS_IYnjcA

One dies in the initial shot, one when Cohle kidnaps Ginger and gets out of the crack house, one dies on the exit, and then one of the neonazis dies right after. So four on screen deaths, maybe two offscreen deaths when one of the Iron Crusaders fires two shotgunblasts out the window with people seemingly standing there, and maybe a few more during the shootout between the cops and the drugdealers. Plus the other Iron Crusader who was firing the shotgun probably died after Cohle knocked him out.

Also that was an amazing scene. It shows how much higher quality season 1 was over season 2.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

You liked bb? Lol.

Pews
Mar 7, 2006

one thousand years of anime
Grimey Drawer

Doltos posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GmhS_IYnjcA

Also that was an amazing scene. It shows how much higher quality season 1 was over season 2.

Both big shootouts happened in episode 4. In S1 it was the turning point for the show going from good to great. S2 it was also a turning point, but in the opposite direction.

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001
What pissed me off were the insane Michael Bay movie guns. These guys had little handheld submachine guns with little/no visible reloading. But we saw the last ganger light up a bus, a crowd of cops, and everything else like he had the minigun from Predator with a backpack full of ammo. Compared to the tight, gritty fighting in big ghetto scene, it was like a parody.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*
The s2 shootouts were loving garbage compared to season 1. It was like watching John Wick all over again.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

mcvey posted:

This seasons real bad yall.

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine

mcvey posted:

The s2 shootouts were loving garbage compared to season 1. It was like watching John Wick all over again.

Kelly posted:

Well, time to unsubscribe. We've reached "that" point in the post-season thread.

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

Sorry for insults

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man
John Wick is an incredible movie that does not need to be insulted by being compared to True Detective season two.

Ashrik
Feb 9, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.
https://youtu.be/1gGKvFYfDaQ?t=1h45m7s

Ashrik fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Aug 21, 2015

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Proposition Joe posted:

John Wick is an incredible movie that does not need to be insulted by being compared to True Detective season two.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Proposition Joe posted:

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mcvey posted:

gently caress you and gently caress Breaking Bad. You deserve everything you get you loving garbage mother fucker.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

BB got into the same rut Dexter did where Walt/Dexter run around putting out fires so that Rita/Deb/Skylar/Hank don't find out that they're criminals.

What'll go wrong next?! :haw:

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!

Dapper Dan posted:

So you'd rather have a copy and pasted plot and bad ending from Chinatown? The second season was basically that, except done really incompetently.

The occult elements made it interesting, because people are getting burned out on cop shows. I was fine with them having no occult elements, but they replaced it with nothing but a bunch of characters and a plot nobody cared about. At least if it had occult elements and failed, it'd be an interesting failure. As it stands, it is the worst kind of failure. A boring one.

I thought season 2 ended up pretty strongly actually so to me it wasn't a failure. All in all I thought it was worse than season 1, but by no means bad, so the whole trying triggers flavored of noir works well in my eyes.

This thread just has a lot of the typical TVIV hyperbole going on. Something can be weaker than its predecessor, and not be total garbage. People in this thread are also claiming breaking bad is not a good show though, so I mean I guess I shouldn't even be taking them seriously.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Why the gently caress do Ray and Frank split up anyway? Frank has a dude who he can rely on to watch his back if poo poo goes down and they're both eventually getting on the same loving boat to Mexico, yet they split because...? If the Jews wanted him to come alone for the cash to diamonds exchange, Ray could've just waited in the car. God this ending is so frustratingly dumb.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

ruddiger posted:

Why the gently caress do Ray and Frank split up anyway? Frank has a dude who he can rely on to watch his back if poo poo goes down and they're both eventually getting on the same loving boat to Mexico, yet they split because...? If the Jews wanted him to come alone for the cash to diamonds exchange, Ray could've just waited in the car. God this ending is so frustratingly dumb.

Because he wanted to go sneak off and see his kid one last time before leaving. It also set up the gut punch ending they wanted to do with the paternity test and Ray, and the storyboard ending for Frank where they wanted him to end up dying alone because he wanted to live his life alone. Neither ending worked out because neither ending was particularly good in the context of what the viewers wanted out of the show.

Like I get that they were really trying to drive home the point that the kid wasn't Ray's, then turn it around on the audience, but none of the audience cared. No one rooted for the kid, no one liked the mother (who actually had a very good reason to deny paternity and visitation rights to an abusive alcoholic violent cop who killed a dude), no one liked Ray because he was a mopey bitch. I honestly still don't know why Ray died since he was being set up for a redemption arc all season.

Frank dying alone because he was secretly coming to terms that he didn't truly love his wife more than himself and his own need to get back at his father, school bullies, and his present day enemies was just a lame way to play out the character. I get that they were trying to make a sympathetic villain but Frank's storyline was just a meandering waste of time. Like he didn't even need to exist in the season at all. They could have replaced him with an ancillary character who feeds Ray false information then is killed later and no one would have batted an eye.

Pretty much the entire plot of season 2 could be explained as: we wanted to be Game of Thrones, the television version, not the book version.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
For what its worth, guys, I just picked up season one on Blu-ray for $27.99 at Target.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

CornHolio posted:

For what its worth, guys, I just picked up season one on Blu-ray for $27.99 at Target.

It's worth $27.99 apparently. :haw:

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ray didn't come up with the brilliant idea of seeing his son one last time until after calling Ani. He was on a hot streak and was pushing his luck, but up until then, the plan was always to beeline it back to the hideout.

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Megasabin posted:

I thought season 2 ended up pretty strongly actually so to me it wasn't a failure. All in all I thought it was worse than season 1, but by no means bad, so the whole trying triggers flavored of noir works well in my eyes.

This thread just has a lot of the typical TVIV hyperbole going on. Something can be weaker than its predecessor, and not be total garbage. People in this thread are also claiming breaking bad is not a good show though, so I mean I guess I shouldn't even be taking them seriously.

People saying 'Breaking Bad' is awful is lol, but a lot of people here still like BB and still think S2 was awful. There are a lot of other people who feel the same way (weaker and bad in its own right) who had reasons for feeling so. For me, it is dime-store noir at best, where the writer is getting paid by the word and tries to bulk up a small plot with irrelevant characters, illogical plot points, and a meandering story that goes nowhere, tying it in with an ending that tries to make it look deeper than it actually is. I can't even loving imagine what it was if it were 12 episodes instead of 8.

You get the same meaning and symbolism from watching 'Chinatown', which is two hours of your time instead of eight, better paced, better noir and better acted. Also, it really feels like this:

Doltos posted:

Pretty much the entire plot of season 2 could be explained as: we wanted to be Game of Thrones Season 5

TheBalor posted:

What pissed me off were the insane Michael Bay movie guns. These guys had little handheld submachine guns with little/no visible reloading. But we saw the last ganger light up a bus, a crowd of cops, and everything else like he had the minigun from Predator with a backpack full of ammo. Compared to the tight, gritty fighting in big ghetto scene, it was like a parody.

It reads like a parody because Pizzalito was in charge and didn't want anyone showing him up. They had an action director who is good at making action look fun, and he directed the first two dramatic episodes, which is something he isn't known for. I also admit I laughed when the bad guys just turned to the crowd and gunned them down for absolutely no particular reason.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Aug 23, 2015

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

It reads like a parody because Pizzalito was in charge and didn't want anyone showing him up. They had an action director who is good at making action look fun, and he directed the first two dramatic episodes, which is something he isn't known for. I also admit I laughed when the bad guys just turned to the crowd and gunned them down for absolutely no particular reason.

How do you guys know so much about Pizzalito and his motivations/relationship other show runners? Some links to interviews would be cool.

And the reason they gunned down the crowd is cuz they are bad guys. Like they don't care about others

Dapper Dan
Dec 16, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Black Bones posted:

How do you guys know so much about Pizzalito and his motivations/relationship other show runners? Some links to interviews would be cool.

And the reason they gunned down the crowd is cuz they are bad guys. Like they don't care about others

I mean, it looked like some kid playing GTA with infinite ammo. If you are a bad guy who has to worry about ammo, you typically shoot back at the people who can kill you and then get your mass murder on. The arrive, and just shoot them and then turn to shoot the cops, without reloading (they never reload in the entire scene). Its like someone had gotten the max wanted level and turned on a cheat code to blow away civilians just because. This is probably the thing that I've got the smallest problem with, it was just something I found comical. The story/character/plot etc. issues are the main reasons why I found the season bad.

In terms of on set motivations, there's this: http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/nic-pizzolatto-cary-fukunaga-true-detective-feud.html The exec producer credit is also meaningless, you can pay for one of those and it might have even been in his contract. I also believe he stated he had no involvement with this season as well. Producer is what matters. There are also a lot of rumors that Harrleson and McConaughey contributed a lot as well, but there's no way to affirm this or any hints besides the dynamic between Rust and Marty. Obviously a lot of rumor floating around, but there seems to be some truth to it. For example:

One of the most talked about and celebrated things about the first season was the Ghetto shootout, an action scene. The director who opens your dramatic second season for the first two episodes is one who directed 'The Fast and the Furious', not exactly known for his dramatic skills. Why would you hire one of the most experienced and successful action directors working, whose slated to direct the next Star Trek film, only to have him direct two episodes with no action? And then have your action episode be directed by a director whose known for his skill in HBO dramatic series and not action? And if Justin Lin was only available for the first two episodes, why would you hire an action director and not a dramatic director? It was a critically acclaimed series and I'm sure you could convince one to join up. Or even just take Fukunaga on just for the first two? Since having a single director on for even a season is almost unique (unless you are 'The Knick', in which Sodbergh is directing both seasons himself. And is a very good show that is on HBO Go right now).

It's either hubris or incompetence, neither good. And with the stories going around, I'm more inclined to believe the former rather than the latter.

Dapper Dan fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 23, 2015

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Dapper Dan posted:

I mean, it looked like some kid playing GTA with infinite ammo. If you are a bad guy who has to worry about ammo, you typically shoot back at the people who can kill you and then get your mass murder on. The arrive, and just shoot them and then turn to shoot the cops, without reloading (they never reload in the entire scene). This is probably the thing that is the smallest problem, it was just something I found comical.

I gotta admit, I have never seen a realistic gun fight outside of war footage and security cameras. Maybe meth heads who have been tipped off that a hit squad is coming to kill them or put them in a box for life don't really worry about optimal ammo conservation? Or just reload when the camera isn't on them?

quote:

In terms of on set motivations, there's this: http://www.vulture.com/2015/07/nic-pizzolatto-cary-fukunaga-true-detective-feud.html The exec producer credit is also meaningless, you can pay for one of those and it might have even been in his contract. Producer is what matters. There are also a lot of rumors that Harrleson and McConaughey contributed a lot as well. Obviously a lot of rumor, but there seems to be some truth to it.

It's all rumor dude. And :lol: this article's links reveal he is just regurgitating someone else's speculation verbatim. Not that I expect quality journalism or even common sense from clickbait poo poo, but still

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
Pizzolatto spent years writing season one and it obviously sold McConaughey & Harrelson along with Fukunaga when they read it (reminder Pizzolatto was an unknown at this time). Goons beginning to retroactively say he had little involvement in the script or plot or characterization in favor of said others in S1 now since S2 sucked rear end is just typical autistic TVIV hyperbole. Every good writer/director has done subpar & mediocre work. Note this is the same thread where apparently Breaking Bad, The Sopranos, The Wire, and John Wick are terrible as well.

Goons. :nallears:

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
True Detective Season 2 Episode One recap.

Snappy Zings
Feb 19, 2003
I'M TOO FUCKING STUPID TO DO A SIMPLE SEARCH OF THE FORUMS.

"Hey.....hey.....I'm here to know who raped muh wife!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

On the second last episode, predicting the drunk cop gets murdered then is found with the recorder running which results in the people getting arrested. :)

• Locked thread