Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Wamdoodle posted:

Would you say it's better or worse than Hook?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZ2cIsqAk_o

Also, what is it with a lot of NES games giving you an attack that's just outside your hitbox enough to be useless?

It's much worse than Hook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
Spooky Selfie

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

precision posted:

the original ninja gaiden trilogy still stands as probably the best 2D platform/fighting games ever designed. so perfect in every way

Requires a whole lot of your username to get through. I love Nina Gaiden, but I'm very very bad at it.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I have the collectors edition of this ordered, the only one I ever have or will buy.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Sakurazuka posted:

I have the collectors edition of this ordered, the only one I ever have or will buy.

What is that game? I feel like I've seen it somewhere.

The Taint Reaper posted:

It's much worse than Hook.

Wow. My condolences.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

precision posted:

if you want to talk about unplayable NES garbage lets talk about loving DEADLY TOWERS and goddamn LEGACY OF THE WIZARD

no 10 year old should be subjected to that poo poo, scarred me for life

Deadly Towers' unplayableness is exaggerated, in my opinion.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

Deadly Towers' unplayableness is exaggerated, in my opinion.

Yeah it's no hydlide that's for sure.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Caveman Games was the worst NES game I ever played. I literally could not figure out how to play it. No input seemed to work.

I also rented Gyroscope and had the same experience, but it wasn't until adulthood I discovered it was because a certain crucial robot accessory was not included in the rental lol

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
caveman games owned. a few of the events were tough as balls (firemaking, dino chase) but holy poo poo wife toss is a god tier event

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

You know what was a good NES game

Street Fighter 2010: The Final Fight

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Wamdoodle posted:

What is that game? I feel like I've seen it somewhere.

The new Fatal Frame for Wii U.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

theultimo posted:

Yeah it's no hydlide that's for sure.

wasn't the only problem with hydlide that you had to just grind for hours and hours? deadly towers and legacy of the magician were like actual labyrinths and impenetrable to american kids like me

edit i mean legacy of the wizard, smh

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

abagofcheetos posted:

caveman games owned. a few of the events were tough as balls (firemaking, dino chase) but holy poo poo wife toss is a god tier event

How do you loving play it??? The only thing I could do was the race and even then I could only get the dinosaur to move by clubbing it, making it jump forward, which was a really slow way to go and caused me to lose every time.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Sakurazuka posted:

NES games were usually programmed by like three people, only one of which had any idea what they were doing.

It didn't help that you had to program a new engine from scratch in assembly for every single game from what I've read, unless it was extremely similar to something you had done before.

The actual hardware was less complicated than what we have nowadays but still.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
The guy who set out to explore his randomly generated world in Daggerfall wound up getting his guy stuck in terrain, he couldn't reload his save either either so that's something like over a decade of gametime down the drain.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG_HLHQxh1Q

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mechanical droning by some boring Anglobot over game footage that really makes me wanna replay Tomb Raider.

Injun Greenberg
Sep 14, 2011

get a load of this loving nerd

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

The Taint Reaper posted:

The guy who set out to explore his randomly generated world in Daggerfall wound up getting his guy stuck in terrain, he couldn't reload his save either either so that's something like over a decade of gametime down the drain.

That's a metaphor for life right there.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

The Taint Reaper posted:

fun fact: even if he hadn't gotten stuck, ten years of daggerfall is still ten years down the drain.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Mak0rz posted:

How do you loving play it??? The only thing I could do was the race and even then I could only get the dinosaur to move by clubbing it, making it jump forward, which was a really slow way to go and caused me to lose every time.

For wife toss, you have to rotate the dpad in circles, slowly at first, but quicker as you spin her around. Then you hold one of the buttons and it brings up the angle thing, and you let go when it is the angle you want to launch her. The fighting one was just a really lovely Mortal Kombat, and the pole vault one is just button mashing to run, then you hit the other button to set the pole and you have to maybe use the dpad? I forget, I haven't played in years.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

exquisite tea posted:

Mechanical droning by some boring Anglobot over game footage that really makes me wanna replay Tomb Raider.

I was really surprised by how much I liked new Tomb Raider. Did the sequel end up getting announced for PC?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Last I heard it's gonna be some kind of XBone exclusive for a few months and then get a PC/PS4 port.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

PC early 2016
PS4 Late 2016

its coming for 360 for some stupid reason this year though because ms loves spending money for things that won't help them sell xbox ones.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Real hurthling! posted:

its coming for 360 for some stupid reason this year though because ms loves spending money for things that won't help them sell xbox ones.

haha, really? guess i'll get to play it then, that's cool.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I just hope that doesn't mean it's being developed on XBone hardware and just upscaled from that, one of the nicest things about Tomb Raider on PC was that it actually ran really well and looked amazing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

The Taint Reaper posted:

i would like to know more so i can laugh at this insane person

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

exquisite tea posted:

I just hope that doesn't mean it's being developed on XBone hardware and just upscaled from that, one of the nicest things about Tomb Raider on PC was that it actually ran really well and looked amazing.

pc and ps4 versions were in production prior to ms buying the exclusivity so it shouldn't be an issue unless they threw all that work away and try to port from xbox.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Arena and Daggerfall have aged pretty terribly, I don't know why anyone would choose to play them over even Morrowind these days.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

The Colonel posted:

Arena and Daggerfall have aged pretty terribly, I don't know why anyone would choose to play them over even Morrowind these days.

The worst is the guy who abandoned his reverse-engineered Blood and Dark Forces source port projects to focus on making one for Daggerfall.

Why? Why would anyone do that?

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!
Why would anyone watch all those stupid old movies with bad graphics from the 1970s just watch the avengers instead loving idiots

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
That analogy is weird because Morrowind is a way better game than Daggerfall by pretty much any metric other than world size (which is meaningless in Daggerfall's case because it's randomly generated, totally flat, and mostly empty)

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adam Bowen posted:

Why would anyone watch all those stupid old movies with bad graphics from the 1970s just watch the avengers instead loving idiots

Daggerfall is more like trying to watch a silent movie from 1910.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
Hell, there are some entertaining silent movies out there. Daggerfall and especially Arena are just games made by a team of devs who didn't really know what the heck they were doing, but preferred doing it over making another Home Alone game for the NES. They're both really big, but they don't have anything cool to find inside their big-ness. Not even a single giant mushroom tower.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

Sakurazuka posted:

That analogy might work if we were talking about one of the first games for the Intellivision or something, not so much for a massive and complicated game that's only 20 years old.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
I like old games and people who claim they should be forgotten are dumb idiots, but Daggerfall is one of those games that's just hopelessly outdated. Its main hook was the huge open world but it's so primitive and plain compared to today's open world games that it just doesn't hold up at all. Tons of old games have cool and charming things that make them worth playing but I can't really come up with anything when it comes to Daggerfall.

Except boobs, but even boobs are available in better games.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Adam Bowen posted:

Which one? One is a terrible movie, the other stars Sean Connery

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Adam Bowen posted:

That analogy might work if we were talking about one of the first games for the Intellivision or something, not so much for a massive and complicated game that's only 20 years old.

Intellivision games are those drums with horses cut out of that you spin round a light.

Ekster
Jul 18, 2013

Daggerfall, for if current Bethesda games aren't janky enough for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Sakurazuka posted:

and also that movie causes you intense physical pain as long as you keep watching it

• Locked thread