Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

LazyAngel posted:

No actually... hadn't even thought of that. Think strategy-game franchise.

It does look very familiar, but I am drawing a blank right now. I'm sure it will be a "duh" thing for me.

Pictures! Took them outside in better light. Downloaded GIMP for white balance. I need a light box (or a better camera). :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

omnibobb posted:

I oath... A good time!

For the first time ever, I do oath a thing for reals

These are 2 zombies from zombicide season 1

omnibobb posted:

Oath addition - 3 more zombies

omnibobb posted:

I additionally oath three additional additional zombies.

Oath complete!

omnibobb fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Aug 22, 2015

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!
I know there are several days left to go and I only oathed 3 minis, but not sure if I'm going to be finishing my oath for August. My work schedule changed recently, and that, alongside dealing with some personal issues, has left me with absolutely zero motivation to get any painting done. So, yeah. :sigh:

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING

LazyAngel posted:

No actually... hadn't even thought of that. Think strategy-game franchise.

I just googled images, I was mentally mashing the two different colour schemes unit 00 has into one, so nope! Saw the answer in the DzC thread though, I see what you actually did there. ;)

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I should probably get on this oathing business for August huh

I, SRM, Oath one Terminator Librarian by Games Workshop

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The worse part of this thread is knowing what I want to do with the Challenges for the next month, but being unable to work on the models! I have plenty to paint before hand, but man...

Paint people from a TV show for September, and I have a bunch of masked models from Aetherium who are basically 4chan/Anonymous hacker group. Coupled with the fact that Mr. Robot is ending in a couple of episodes.... A match made in heaven.

Signal
Dec 10, 2005

Thanks LordAba, my Aetherium boxed set arrived! You're the best!

Electric Hobo
Oct 22, 2008

What a view!

Grimey Drawer
Oath complete! Even if they aren't all accepted yet.

Rogue and walls:

With a slightly harder light:

Rats:

Spiders:

Well of Chaos:

Treasures:

Did I rolled a 6! for the treasures, this month's technical challenge on the rogue and speed painting on the rats:

Electric Hobo posted:

Speed painting some rats.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Oath Completed

Baleful Realmgate. Jurnal is the mystical glowy blue flame within the gate.

Ophidian Archway.This thing has ridiculous amounts of detail. I tried for a worn-out look rather than filling it with verdigris like some of my other stuff 'cause there's way too much brass for that,

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
^^^ Man, those look good. Those terrain sets are nice, and you painted them up good!

Signal posted:

Thanks LordAba, my Aetherium boxed set arrived! You're the best!

Sweet! Got there faster than I thought.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Another OATH ADDITION

I'm going to paint these 11 stands of 15mm US Infantry by the Plastic Soldier Company. Cpn. Rogers needs him some Howling Commandos.

Still don't know what I'm doing for the monthly challenge.

Germ posted:

OATH ADDITION

Not only did I oath that other stuff, I also oath this terrain, made by me:

4 ruined walls
1 fallen column set (base, 2 columns, 1 fallen column)
1 statue plinth

I also oath all this resin terrain, made by THMiniatures (1 big grave/altar piece and 16 pieces of scatter terrain)

And, for reference, the original oath is here:

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
OATH COMPLETE!

I'd take a picture for the Speed Painting dealie since it's only been about 18 hours since I oathed him, but the varnish is drying right now and I didn't think that far ahead :doh:

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Oath Addition (Again!): Malifaux Brass Arachnid (and currently separated base)

BobFish
Jan 16, 2004

Believe: The Sequel - This time it really will happen
Oath Complete!

Amazingly hard to photograph metallics with a phone camera. Next month I will swot up on the photography advice in the painting thread.

Bonus pic with their other two buddies who weren't oathed due to being basecoated but were completed at the same time.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

Schmetterling posted:

Oath Complete!
For Speedpainting

Prettier pictures will come later, when I've finished the other models I've oathed.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I'm back from my trip! This was my last trip of the summer/year (the RC car racing season is coming to an end) so I should be able to get to everything quicker from now on (until next May, at least).

Mugaaz posted:

Haven't painted minis in years.

1 Infinity Pan-Oceania force from Operation Icestorm
1 Fusileer Box missing male heads

Think the primer is bad, these look all weird =/

Electric Hobo posted:

Oath addition! Again!
1 Well of Chaos from Reaper and 3 treasures made from bits and bobs.

The small thing on the left is part of a treasure.

lilljonas posted:

Back from vacation and ready to paint:

I, lilljonas, hereby oath to paint one squad (10 men, including a LMG) of 28mm German Gebirgsjäger infantrymen.

The models are originally plastic Afrikakorps Germans from Perry Miniatures, but are converted with bits from Warlord Games and a bit of green stuff.
With timestamp
In lightbox, hopefully a little more visible

Ledgem posted:

Oathing for August: 3 Super Dungeon Explore heroes from Soda Pop Miniatures and one Wyrd Miniatures through the breach model!

MasterSlowPoke posted:

Oath Addition:

1 Cows On Fire, from Mantic Games, 28mm

LazyAngel posted:

I, LazyAngel, oath for August one Odin Command Walker from Dropzone Commander (Hawk Wargames, 10mm)

Zenithal priming, looks odd as primer fuzzed up in the humidity (and I hadn't shaken the white enough). Not bad enough for dettol, and a toothbrush took care of the rough texture. Lazy oath anyway, as I only have about a week of painting time this month, and want to make sure my colour scheme works.

SRM posted:

I should probably get on this oathing business for August huh

I, SRM, Oath one Terminator Librarian by Games Workshop

Germ posted:

Another OATH ADDITION

I'm going to paint these 11 stands of 15mm US Infantry by the Plastic Soldier Company. Cpn. Rogers needs him some Howling Commandos.

Still don't know what I'm doing for the monthly challenge.

Schmetterling posted:

Oaths Accepted!

And after seeing how quickly I can get some Zombicide models painted last week, I'll also be doing an Oath of my own this week!

Germ
May 7, 2013

It's always stressful to oath at this time of month. I don't want to NOT oath and paint something that won't count. I also don't want to NOT paint just to avoid failing an oath. The solution?

Another Oath Addition

Dragon by Reaper in Bones.

Weirdo
Jul 22, 2004

I stay up late :coffee:

Grimey Drawer
I Weirdo Oath one "Phil the Gofer" from Hasslefree Miniatures for the month of August (28mm).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Germ posted:

It's always stressful to oath at this time of month. I don't want to NOT oath and paint something that won't count. I also don't want to NOT paint just to avoid failing an oath. The solution?

Another Oath Addition

Dragon by Reaper in Bones.

I would like some sort of solution to figuring out how folks doing multiple Oath additions and failing their last one won't get their entire Oath output for a month wiped out by failing a single Oath. If you (or anyone else) have suggestions, let me know!

Weirdo posted:

I Weirdo Oath one "Phil the Gofer" from Hasslefree Miniatures for the month of August (28mm).

Oaths Accepted!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hello, lovely people! I've been working on adding to the publicly accessible web page that highlights our monthly Judge's picks and sponsors, please feel free to check it out and share it: https://somethingawfuloaththread.wordpress.com/

This was made mainly for the sponsors, so they have somewhere to go where they can see what their sponsorships bux are going towards, and to show that this is a real thing that lots of people take part in. Part of the difficulty of doing this is that this thread is not a podcast, open-access website or web forum, SA is behind a paywall so it's not as widely known as you might think. So the Wordpress site is mainly something for the sponsors. I've made blog posts for most of the new sponsors like Frontline Gaming, Secret Weapon Miniatures, Wargames Tournaments and Acrylicos Vallejo and sent them the links so they can get a sense of the appreciation we have for them. I'll also be adding in the monthly figures when I can (as long as they're impressive!) so they know how many people they are reaching.

However, this thread is also about encouraging painters to expand their horizons and become better (whatever that means to them/you), so each month all of the Judge's picks will be featured, plus after all the Judges have made their choices I'll take the top picks from each Judge and put them in a photo montage (yeah!! a montaaaaage!!!!!) at the top of the site - the header image, basically. So you can show off your achievements to your grandma or girlfriend and get your cheek pinched and a shiny new nickel pressed into your sweaty palm to congratulate you.

If anyone has any suggestions on how to make it better (keeping in mind it really won't get that much traffic and it's meant mainly for the current and future sponsors), please let me know your thoughts!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

krushgroove posted:

I would like some sort of solution to figuring out how folks doing multiple Oath additions and failing their last one won't get their entire Oath output for a month wiped out by failing a single Oath. If you (or anyone else) have suggestions, let me know!

This would be great. Since I finished my oath a couple weeks ago I have just been prepping models for the most part and tried out a paint scheme on one other. I am hesitant to start a project beyond the prep stage just because its something I want to oath along with being what I want to work on next. The only thing I can think of to make this work within the current point system is that any oath additions that are not finished must be added to the following month's oath. If you don't oath any additional that month maybe you lose a point? I'm not exactly for penalizing people by taking things away, but if someone does an addition and does another oath the next month it just means they have more they need to get through painting. If they don't oath anything that following month than they basically got credit for failing an oath the previous month.

On a some what related topic, there is a model I want to prep for painting up to the base coat level for next month but the basecoat is two parts due to the nature of the paints I am using. I want to airbrush on a metallic and then do a candy coat on top of that to tint it to a colored metallic. The entire model would be base coated that one tinted metallic color it just takes two steps to get there. Can I do this ahead of time or do I need to wait until the first of September?

Lord Thrust
Jan 18, 2013

If you build a man a fire he'll be warm for a night.
If you set a man on fire he'll be warm for the rest of his short, painful life.
I Lord Thrust Oath this very metal 28mm GW Noise Marine. for the month of August 2015.

Schmetterling
Apr 1, 2011

For next month's theme, would a character from a videogame be acceptable? Games are sort of like TV and movies.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Lord Thrust posted:

I Lord Thrust Oath this very metal 28mm GW Noise Marine. for the month of August 2015.

Oath Accepted!

nesbit37 posted:

This would be great. Since I finished my oath a couple weeks ago I have just been prepping models for the most part and tried out a paint scheme on one other. I am hesitant to start a project beyond the prep stage just because its something I want to oath along with being what I want to work on next.
Well the advance notice of the Challenges and Themes came about because I wanted to let people plan ahead for the models they're going to do. Collecting bits, choosing a model, altering the pose if you want, etc. In the old method the theme was announced the first day of the month and you might have to scramble to come up that was really cool. Now, there's plenty of advance notice.

What I'm looking for are suggestions on how to handle Oath Additions in a gentler way that "oh, you didn't finish your 3rd Addition? you get no points"

quote:

The only thing I can think of to make this work within the current point system is that any oath additions that are not finished must be added to the following month's oath. If you don't oath any additional that month maybe you lose a point? I'm not exactly for penalizing people by taking things away, but if someone does an addition and does another oath the next month it just means they have more they need to get through painting. If they don't oath anything that following month than they basically got credit for failing an oath the previous month.

I was going to say I don't like the idea of someone losing a point for not completing an Oath Addition, because the points are that low now that a single point can be pretty hard on someone, and it's not like you're getting additional points for doing an Oath Addition...however at the moment if you don't complete an Addition you lose ALL your points for the month, so maybe this is a viable thing. Thoughts from anyone else? or is this even an issue?

quote:

On a some what related topic, there is a model I want to prep for painting up to the base coat level for next month but the basecoat is two parts due to the nature of the paints I am using. I want to airbrush on a metallic and then do a candy coat on top of that to tint it to a colored metallic. The entire model would be base coated that one tinted metallic color it just takes two steps to get there. Can I do this ahead of time or do I need to wait until the first of September?
Well, I'm not watching you paint the model before you take the picture and I don't try to analyze exactly what colors are on the models, so if you told me it's a metallic red or green or whatever I wouldn't really know. However if you're doing a clear candy over the model that's a little different - I would still be hard-pressed to say, unprompted, that you did 2 colors, but since you're asking in the thread I'll just ask that you do your metallic, take the Oath picture and carry on with your candy coats if you don't mind. I'm pretty easy when it comes to the rules but I

Schmetterling posted:

For next month's theme, would a character from a videogame be acceptable? Games are sort of like TV and movies.

I can go for this, because there's a lot of video games that get released around this time (and all the time, I know, but game characters fit in pretty well in this theme). So yes you can do a videogame, TV or movie character for September's Oath theme.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
:siren: OK, now for something really exciting! :siren:

We've now got our

Secret Weapon Miniatures

DISCOUNT CODE FOR SEPTEMBER!!

Just head over to http://www.secretweaponminiatures.com/ from the 1st of September and up to the 1st of October, place an order and enter AWFULSEPT as your exclusive Oath Thread discount code to get 10% off anything from the Secret Weapon store!

The discount code lets Secret Weapon know that they are getting something for their grand prize investment, so it's kind of a 'thank you' that goes both ways. I know I'll be looking pretty hard at their site for certain bases and loads of other things. If you'd like to thank them, place an order and/or head over to their Facebook page!

Ugleb
Nov 19, 2014

ASK ME ABOUT HOW SCOTLAND'S PROPOSED TRANS LEGISLATION IS DIVISIVE AS HELL BECAUSE IT IS SO SWEEPING THAT IT COULD BE POTENTIALLY ABUSED AT A TIME WHERE THE LACK OF SAFETY FOR WOMEN HAS BEEN SO GLARING
I think it would be fair to allow your second (or whatever) oath addition to roll over to the next month if your original oath is completed provided that you oath and complete something in the following month.

If the point of the whole endeavour is to get people painting stuff then the rules should encourage people to actually complete stuff.

Also, yay for sponsors! Will take another look at their catalogue...

Germ
May 7, 2013

krushgroove posted:

Nah, I'm just grousing. I don't think it's that big of a problem. It adds to the end-of-the-month drama. Oathing is serious business!

That website looks great! Glad we've got an external site for the sponsors.

Hey - does my painting-area-completed after-photo need to be time-stamped? I took pictures when I was done but forgot to include a world time server shot. It's gotten a bit messier since then, but I could always straighten it up again and re-photo if need be.

And my final, last minute OATH ADDITION.

Gonna paint this 50 mm campfire marker made from Hirst Arts casts:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oath Complete!

(This month's jurnal (the technical challenge) is the the red-hot balefirey skulls in the catapults.)

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
I WhiteOutMouse Oath 15 Bloodletters, GW 28mm.

Nova is so drat soon!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

krushgroove posted:

I can go for this, because there's a lot of video games that get released around this time (and all the time, I know, but game characters fit in pretty well in this theme). So yes you can do a videogame, TV or movie character for September's Oath theme.

I may have to look into some stuff next week, but keep in mind there might be a super secret hidden contest next month. Or there might not be! Dunno yet.

Let's just say if you paint an anime show / game / etc you might be able to win some relic knights stuff. Or not! I honestly can't remember.

Fun fact: My friends and I are planning on entering the team tourney at Adepticon, so we went in on a huge order of bases from Secret Weapon so we could all match. Well, long story short they literally mailed my a trophy for spending the most amount of money ever and I get a percent off for life. It is one of those weird moments that make you reflect on your life...

LordAba fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Aug 29, 2015

Germ
May 7, 2013

LordAba posted:

Let's just say if you paint an anime show / game / etc you might be able to win some relic knights stuff. Or not! I honestly can't remember.

Well, long story short they literally mailed my a trophy for spending the most amount of money ever and I get a percent off for life.

1st question - Do 80s post-apocalyptic Saturday morning cartoons count?

2nd not a question - Secret Weapon is a legitimately great company. They were discontinuing the bases I used for my Infinity army, and when I ordered as much of their remaining stock as I could, they included the rest. They also regularly sponsor a big regional tournament in the Pac NW. Good folks who care a lot about the gaming community.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Also, these are really great!

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Germ posted:

1st question - Do 80s post-apocalyptic Saturday morning cartoons count?

2nd not a question - Secret Weapon is a legitimately great company. They were discontinuing the bases I used for my Infinity army, and when I ordered as much of their remaining stock as I could, they included the rest. They also regularly sponsor a big regional tournament in the Pac NW. Good folks who care a lot about the gaming community.

Hmm, I guess retro cartoons could work. Though I will say that anyone who paints up some models for Captain Power and the Soldiers of the Future will get double points! Again, I'll have to verify that I have what I think I have.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
[b]OATH COMPLETE![b]

A whole 15mm company of German Grenadiers!

1st Platoon!

2nd Platoon!

3rd Platoon!

The Evil Overlords - I mean company HQ unit.

Next month is their enemies, the British Paras! (again, a whole company, as I'm a masochist!)

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Oath Complete!

First thing I've painted in 5 years. Looking forward to playing.

Germ
May 7, 2013

So, maybe I went a bit for quantity over quality this month, but … OATH COMPLETE!

The technical/theme challenge is the campfire (which includes flames and OSL on the rocks). I’m also claiming Spring Cleaning.

To start with, here’s the last-minute campfire I cobbled together from Hirst Arts bits:

Here’s the Reaper Bones Dragon that I’ll be using for my Wood Elves army (formerly for WHFB, now for Kings of War):

This is the US Armored Rifle Company (sans transports, those’ll happen in some future oath) for Flames of War:

Here is the terrain I’ve been working on for my own Worldsmith Industries. Some ruined walls, a plinth to be used for statues, and a modular rubble “wall” to be used as an obstacle.

I’ve also been playing around with cast resin hills. Here’s my latest iteration. It’s not as tall as I’d like (only up to 1.25 or so inches at the highest point), but I used a 1:3 slope in most places, so models can stand just about anywhere without tipping:

I got a slew of scatter terrain from the THMiniatures kickstarter I backed:

This is my favorite piece from the set – a large ruined temple that can be opened up to reveal a fighting pit inside. Consider me inspired!

Finally, my project room got cleaned! I can now cast without getting tetanus.

Mugaaz
Mar 1, 2008

WHY IS THERE ALWAYS SOME JUSTICE WARRIOR ON EVERY FORUM
:qq::qq::qq:
Dragon owns

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.

Germ posted:

Here’s the Reaper Bones Dragon that I’ll be using for my Wood Elves army (formerly for WHFB, now for Kings of War):

If you took these pictures on a dark cloth I would have assumed it was a Batchre model.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Mugaaz posted:

DragonGerm owns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Germ
May 7, 2013

WhiteOutMouse posted:

If you took these pictures on a dark cloth I would have assumed it was a Batchre model.

Best compliment ever! Made my day, thanks all!

• Locked thread