Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Is this supposed to dissuade me from buying the game, it didnt work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Quest For Glory II posted:

Yeah the world design/cutscenes seemed very high effort like on par with Xenoblade in videos I saw

Bear in mind I bought and have played Spectrobes Origins so the game being for kids isn't a huge problem (all video games are for kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

crystal bearers' main problem is that the core gameplay feels incredibly half-baked. maybe I missed something, but it doesn't feel like the combat goes far beyond just picking stuff up and chucking it at guys or picking guys up to chuck them at walls or other enemies. you can use certain enemies as special weaponry, but they're mostly just various projectiles and it can be a pain to stun some enemies to use them that way. you have to spin a bomb around like three times for it to get dazed and be able to pick it up.

there's also a dumb mechanic where every zone other than towns cycles between NPCs being around and monsters being around. your only way of increasing your health is killing every enemy in an area and closing off the miasma stream before it shifts to NPC time, and if you gently caress up you have to wait around for it to shift back to the monster phase.

e: I think it would've been a lot better if they gave you more to do with your gravity powers, or even just added some standard action elements while leaving your Bearer powers as an extra utility alongside standard weaponry.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Aug 23, 2015

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Yeah the world design/cutscenes seemed very high effort like on par with Xenoblade in videos I saw

Bear in mind I bought and have played Spectrobes Origins so the game being for kids isn't a huge problem (all video games are for kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Yeah, its legit one of the prettiest wii games there is, and though you mostly can't talk to NPCs you will notice a lot of fun little things in the world, like there's a shop where you pull the chain to open the shop window, and its very clearly all run by one moogle who has to dash to whichever window you've got open at the time, or the museum where if you pick up and throw the exhibits around then the curator gets increasingly annoyed until he has the guards seize all your money

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
You can control Opoona entirely with the nunchuk, which the designers say was meant to let you relax and snack on stuff while playing

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

corn in the bible posted:

Yeah, its legit one of the prettiest wii games there is, and though you mostly can't talk to NPCs you will notice a lot of fun little things in the world, like there's a shop where you pull the chain to open the shop window, and its very clearly all run by one moogle who has to dash to whichever window you've got open at the time, or the museum where if you pick up and throw the exhibits around then the curator gets increasingly annoyed until he has the guards seize all your money

Yeah, it has a lot of problems but it's a super-charming game despite that. I wish it had been a more polished game because I think it'd be well-liked if so.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

What's Dawn of Mana like?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, it has a lot of problems but it's a super-charming game despite that. I wish it had been a more polished game because I think it'd be well-liked if so.

it has some really cool moments, I just wish it had a better foundation connecting them. I think all the minigames and setpieces are much more fun than the main game; the opening in particular is really fantastic between the great music and getting to blast the poo poo out of a bunch of monsters. in contrast, the core gameplay gives you stuff like the fight with the pyromancer crystal bearer who I was able to beat handily just by picking him up and chucking him over and over, and it never goes far beyond that. you walk up to guys, point and waggle, then toss them. sometimes the guys blow up, or you get to shoot a few arrows before chucking the guy, but it's essentially the same thing for the whole game.

though despite the core gameplay being pretty shallow, I never got sick of loving with NPCs.

Motto fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Aug 23, 2015

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Super Ninja Fish posted:

How was Suikoden 5? I think I remember seeing people say that it was another good one like the first two. Is that true?

I love Suikoden 5, but it does have problems. The technical issues bother me the most, especially performance. It's prone to frequent (if short) loading times and framerate drops not seen anywhere else in the series. Poorly optimized, I guess. Some of the design choices don't help either, such as the camera perspective.

I don't mind the slow, gradual pace of the early hours because I find it contributes a lot later. Still, a few sections like Stormfist could've benefited a lot from another editing pass. If you loved how the first Suikoden rushes you into your HQ and out collecting stars within two hours then you might hate Suikoden 5's slow burn.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Suikoden V's biggest weaknesses are the overall pacing of the game (which improves around the halfway point) and the tiny, weird recruitment windows for some characters. I loved the game but it's very hard to get back into these days.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Out of all the RPGs I repeated, Suikoden V is a game I still beat to the end. There's a poo poo ton of stuff I didn't like, such as the dick move of putting a long, winding stair case and loading screen you have to go through multiple times in a story mission, the beginning being so much more slower than people say, rear end in a top hat developers that didn't let you run until new game +, etc.

But I just liked the characters too much despite never really playing Suikoden 1+2 beyond the first couple hours so it's not like I liked it because it was a good Suikoden game.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
While I recognize that Suikoden II is the better overall game, I think I had the most fun with V. It helped that I had a pretty great guide to follow that was open enough to let me explore on my own to figure things out but also let me know which members I had to recruit by whatever story points.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009
Is Suikoden III not well received? It's the only one in the series I've played to completion and I thought it was alright at the time. Though I guess now it would be a bit clunky, thinking back on a few parts and mechanics it had...

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Overlord K posted:

Is Suikoden III not well received? It's the only one in the series I've played to completion and I thought it was alright at the time. Though I guess now it would be a bit clunky, thinking back on a few parts and mechanics it had...

I think that Suikoden III's jank outweighs what it does well. The writing is pretty good and the main characters are all pretty solid the but the rest feels like a hodge podge. Visually it's an awful mess; models look like they have very few frames of animation so they look like badly animated puppets.

That opening though. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5JnlNtx_mM

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Overlord K posted:

Suikoden III is sort of back and forth. A lot of die-hard Suikoden fans really disliked how it hosed with the series formula and the general direction the plot went. That's part of the reason why 4 and 5 went so hard back to formula and backed off towards prequel territory. (Though it also involved issues with the staff behind the games too.)

It also was the first 3D Suikoden and holy poo poo did it not look good, especially coming off Suikoden II's very nice spritework.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 23, 2015

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Suikoden V is very expensive to buy now though

Oh yes, $60 used on Amazon. That's almost as bad as $98 used for Suikoden 2.

I should probably get one of the other PS2 RPGs that I keep hearing about instead. Persona 4, Nocturne, Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I know that those are well liked here. I can get all of them for the price of Suikoden 5.

Finishing up Lost Odyssey now. I have to admit I'm struggling to care at the end. I thought it was so fantastic on the first CD too. The random battles are too long, the kids are annoying, last two boss battles were a pain in the rear end, the story ended up being more normal and typical RPG than I was hoping, they haven't done much of interest with the characters since the first CD. I really thought it would be one of my favorite games in the first few hours.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Oh yes, $60 used on Amazon. That's almost as bad as $98 used for Suikoden 2.

I should probably get one of the other PS2 RPGs that I keep hearing about instead. Persona 4, Nocturne, Shadow Hearts: Covenant. I know that those are well liked here. I can get all of them for the price of Suikoden 5.

Do that, because Persona 4i s decent and Nocturne and Covenant are flat-out fantastic.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

alcharagia posted:

Do that, because Persona 4i s decent and Nocturne and Covenant are flat-out fantastic.

Do I need to (or should I) play Shadow Hearts 1?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Nah

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Tae posted:

rear end in a top hat developers that didn't let you run until new game +

The biggest dick move about New Game + is that it lets you keep some armors and items, but only the ones you didn't have equipped at the end of the game :(

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Finishing up Lost Odyssey now. I have to admit I'm struggling to care at the end. I thought it was so fantastic on the first CD too. The random battles are too long, the kids are annoying, last two boss battles were a pain in the rear end, the story ended up being more normal and typical RPG than I was hoping, they haven't done much of interest with the characters since the first CD. I really thought it would be one of my favorite games in the first few hours.

What part are you at? There are a couple really slow parts in the middle, but if you're already past the scene with the ballad, that's where it picks up a lot again so if you're still kinda ehh on it, it might just not be your jam.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 23, 2015

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

You should play it because it's good, and also will let you appreciate Covenant more.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Kinda. You don't *need* to but a lot of the characterization of Yuri (the protagonist) is built around the first game, as well as one of the main antagonists is a character from the first game.

The main plot itself functions, but you miss a lot. and SH1 is a good game, too.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I liked Suikoden V, but I've never beaten it again because it takes 10 hours to get out of the prologue. Suikoden IV is pretty bad, but it's short so at least there's less of it. Suikoden III is interesting but I think it involved a lot of running and forth between the same few places with vague story flags?

Clarste fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 23, 2015

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Endorph posted:

Kinda. You don't *need* to but a lot of the characterization of Yuri (the protagonist) is built around the first game, as well as one of the main antagonists is a character from the first game.

The main plot itself functions, but you miss a lot. and SH1 is a good game, too.

You need to play Koudelka too. :colbert:

(Don't play Koudelka, even if I kind of like it in all it lovely glory.)

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

ImpAtom posted:

Do listen to its music, though.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Koudelka is fine, but it should be emulated to minimise load times. It unloads everyone except for the attacker and the target for all spell animations and then has to load everyone back. Every turn.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It is the finest form of lovely glory though. It's worth at least glancing at just because it was so unique for the time.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

That's some well done animation for a video game opening, 2000's CGI aside.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I watched a LP of Shadow Hearts 1 instead so I could get to Covenant quicker.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

closeted republican posted:

*Biulding the town isn't nearly as complicated as it looks. I was expecting a ton of choices, but instead it seems to be "Find a dude that can sell items and recruit him for your town".

The one thing which always miffed me was not taking the bog-standard normal townbuilder locking you out from not only having a flying city, but also from the true ending.

Libluini fucked around with this message at 12:32 on Aug 23, 2015

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
So what makes Grandia 3 and Xtreme bad? Also thinking about trying Breath of Fire Quarter, but mainly asking about urgency of story for all those games.

Cause I realize if a plot isn't moving at a decent pace towards its goal, I get real disinterested quickly.

Overlord K
Jun 14, 2009

Tae posted:

So what makes Grandia 3 and Xtreme bad? Also thinking about trying Breath of Fire Quarter, but mainly asking about urgency of story for all those games.

Cause I realize if a plot isn't moving at a decent pace towards its goal, I get real disinterested quickly.

Grandia Xtreme completely killed the sense of sprawling adventure, as you stay in the same boring town and just explore nearby ruins instead of actually getting to venture out into the world. And after the first two games being all about the adventure and exploring the world, especially in the case of the original, it was just a huge disappointment to me. The fun combat is still there, but everything else about it is honestly lacking.

I can't really pin the nail on the head about what ruined 3 for me, honestly. I played what I imagine was 70% into the game and just... stopped. It wasn't awful, it wasn't amazing, it just kind of felt like it missing the mark somewhere. None of the characters were memorable, the plot was nothing I can recall and at some point in the game the combat went from fun to tedious due to random encounters getting obnoxious moves. The only thing I'll ever remember about 3 is that ridiculous opening theme song it had. It is so awful but it gets stuck in my head whenever I think about the game.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Do we have a date for Grandia 2 on Steam yet?

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Tae posted:

Neither are bad JRPGs, but it's really obvious that they were written by different people than the first two. Aside from the series's signature battle system 3 is basically a generic melodramatic JRPG story past the first few hours, and Xtreme doesn't care much about its story of character interaction. That said, 3 is actually a decently challenging game, and Xtreme is a Grandia dungeon crawler, so if you like the battle system they're worth looking into.

Dackel
Sep 11, 2014

Tae posted:

If you like dungeon crawlers (I do) then you'll like Xtreme. It's basically a Grandia gameplay game without a good story. Does that make it a bad RPG? Eh... I like it.

3 is visually pleasing, but I don't know... after Your mom and her boytoy leave you I was kind of left in a "oh... uhm... ok then?" moment and then I just halfheartedly trudged on. I don't even remember how far I got tbh

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Libluini posted:

The one thing which always miffed me was not taking the bog-standard normal townbuilder locking you out from not only having a flying city, but also from the true ending.

It's been a while, but I'm pretty sure you can get the flying town and true ending no matter which architect you choose. As far as I know, the only steps you need to take for it are investigating the well in Township, sparing the old man in the fight with the three eyes, and speaking to Eichichi in that one town full of minotaur people.

The normal architect is probably still the best option optimisation-wise, though, since it gives you a way to make unlimited stat-up items and other high-end consumables.

Thuryl fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Aug 23, 2015

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Sakurazuka posted:

That's some well done animation for a video game opening, 2000's CGI aside.

I think it's the only part the game that has aged anything approaching well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Is there any best order for the scenarios in Suiko 3? That is, one that makes the most sense, or one that doesn't lock you out of nice things until the endgame.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
If I remember correctly the order doesn't matter, just who you pick as your Flame Champion later on (for which Hugo makes the most sense).

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Sakurazuka posted:

Do we have a date for Grandia 2 on Steam yet?

Tomorrow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

SelenicMartian posted:

Is there any best order for the scenarios in Suiko 3? That is, one that makes the most sense, or one that doesn't lock you out of nice things until the endgame.
I think something like: Hugo 1 > Chris 1 > Geddoe 1 > Thomas 1 > Chris 2 > Hugo 2 > Geddoe 2 > Hugo 3 > Thomas 2 > Geddoe 3 > Chris 3 > Endgame.

Don't do Geddoe 1 first because it spoils some important parts of Hugo/Chris 1, and don't slack too long on doing Thomas chapters because you can get pretty useful characters to the castle during them.

EDIT: Also whoever you pick as Flame Champion is forced into your party for the rest of the game and don't make that be Chris because she's kind of lame mechanically. Hugo is a much stronger fighter and has access to a mount (which due to the S3 system is not really costing you much) and Geddoe is pretty much the best mage in the game just due to the spells he has access to.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 23, 2015