Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TomEmanski
Dec 29, 2008

Node posted:

Here's a picture of the situation. Does anyone know what I can do here?

e: It's 1655, so I have plenty of time, if I can get out of this endless cycle.

Here's a pic from a "Prester John" run I completed recently.

Winning the first war against the Ottomans was the hardest but once they were weakened, it was easier on the 2 following wars. I had an alliance with Poland/Lithuania which appear to be stronger in my game although the pic provided is the end result of 3 or 4 sequential wars won against the Ottomans. I built up max level forts in Sinai which really restricted movement in that area and prevented easy access to most of my territory. I would hide behind them until the Otto's had to focus their attention back west avoiding direct battles unless I had a large numeric advantage. Eventually attrition wore down their armies enough for me to attack and claim territory.

Here's a pic of my fortress network. You probably have something similar to this already. Suez and Dalmiette (sp?) were my original two. I added the others later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Ofaloaf posted:

Oh my god I don't think I've looked at MEIOU & Taxes since it was first released for EU4.

The worst thing (so many worst things) is that, for all the nonsense provinces they added, the map is not even all that accurate. Especially for representing anything other than a 14th century start. The territory represented by that giant "Breda" province, for instance, was divided between the Netherlands and the Habsburgs for 70 years.

The exchange of a key piece of frontier between two of the greatest powers of the age was in other words less important to their minds than adding a dozen backwater abbey-states that "historically" conducted no diplomacy or warfare measurable by the standards of EU4.

Edit: and what the heck is "Arlelerland" (in the Ardennes)?

PoontifexMacksimus fucked around with this message at 15:09 on Aug 23, 2015

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013
So this just happened in my Tuscany game while I was allied with France and losing badly to Burgundy :)

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

LLSix posted:

For Allies it looks like both Muscovy and Persia could be of help if you can get them onside.

You can start hiding your armies in Madagascar so you don't lose them. Once you catch up in tactics tech you can counter-attack after attrition and war-exhaustion have taken their toll. If you're losing every battle, there's not much point of having your troops guarding the border, that's just more warscore lost. Go ahead and expand in the other direction.

Honestly, that's a terrible situation; I don't think I'd have the guts to try and turn it around.

If you consider that a terrible Prester John scenario then I don't know what you'd consider a good one; the Ottomans are nearly always that powerful and unless you want to keep rolling games until the one where the Europeans beat them you're stuck with them as an endboss. Thankfully like TomEmanski posted you can completely wear down their manpower in the southern Suez areas - build forts, keep forts maintained, scorch earth when available. Make the Ottomans bleed money and manpower and sooner or later the Europeans will pick up the slack on punching them. You're Christian, and the closer you get to Europe the more likely it is that you'll be able to score some cherry alliances. Poland and Lithuania seem like good choices. If the distance modifier is still a little much, try taking Cyprus/Rhodes/Malta (if they're independent, it's hard to tell from that picture).

Remember, ultimately you only need two provinces from the Ottomans - Constantinople and Antioch. Those are worth a combined 41% warscore in my early 1500s game. You can get them in a single (apocalyptic, total) war.

Also thanks for posting your stuff in the thread, it saves us from Quantitychat and gives us interesting things to talk about. I'd post mine except mine is an extremely boring England/Great Britain game in which I go for that achievement where you win 10 parliament debates. Oh, I got One Night in Paris and now France no longer exists - that's kind of neat, I guess!

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Node posted:

Since I treat this thread like an EU4 blog sometimes, I figure I may as well continue and ask for some advice. Like my recent posts have said, I'm trying a Pester John achievement. I've hit a roadblock. The Ottomans are enormously powerful and we are now in a state of eternal war or white peace. I am allied to Lithuania, Austria, and The Papal State. The Ottomans only have a couple vassals. Every time the white peace expires, within days he declares war. His stacks decimate mine, because he's two levels of mil tech higher than I am (I've never been behind on military, I haven't wasted it on development or too many Defensive ideas) with a tactics advantage. Luckily, since every time he declares war, he has to fight a three front battle. Austria+Pope, and Lithuania lose to him, and so do I, but he doesn't focus on me so I can get a white peace since he has war exhaustion. If I try to go on the offensive, his superior army wastes me. I can't do the Bosphorous Cockblock, he has around 180 ships. My force limit is 90. I can't afford it. My income is barely above zero, despite having a million gold provinces.

Force limits for Ethiopia are 107 while Ottomans are 202. It's a similar story for naval. I've tried other allies like Spain and Portugal, but they decided to break alliance and royal marriage even though they have no claims on my provinces or any missions that target me. They would accept my alliances again, but I can't send one since my opinion of them is so low. I could continue to royal marry them and have them immediately break the marriage and send my opinion of them to -999 if I wanted to. The Pope and Austria have done random alliance breaking too, but I didn't have a royal marriage with Austria so I could immediately get the alliance back. And you can't RM the Pope, so I could ally them the day after they broke the alliance. There is something odd with having allies that are a long distance from you.

Like I said, I have pretty much a neutral income. In cases like these I would usually expand the other direction, wait until I'm more powerful, then attack. But since the Ottomans are declaring war as soon as the white peace is over, I can't leave my borders unprotected and can't declare any wars on Asia or Africa. If I do, and the Ottomans declare war, I'm boned. They aren't letting me expand.

Here's a picture of the situation. Does anyone know what I can do here?

e: It's 1655, so I have plenty of time, if I can get out of this endless cycle.

Do you have the fort defense idea from Defensive? You can bleed the Ottomans horribly without ever firing a shot if you have good forts and fort placement, because the terrain in Nubia and Ethiopia is incredibly punishing and Coptic + Coffee + Defensive makes your forts take forever to siege. The basic idea is to tank for your allies by tying up a huge portion of the Ottoman army sieging your hellhole so that they can beat up the Ottomans on the European side.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Contingency Plan posted:

Does anyone have a suggestion what to call my Ottoman eastern america colonial nation?

Wiz was playing an MP game where every colonial nation, being Muslim, was masterly named. See: Khalifornia.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe

Tahirovic posted:

code:
# Very Hard
achievement_albania_or_iberia = {
I actually culture shifted to Crotatian so this should be fun, since I can do Krabatar after this one.

Just as a follow up, this worked. Early in the game I took some Croatian land and this was enough to culture shift from Albanian to Croatian. I got the Albania or Iberia achievment and after that formed Croatia and got the Krabatar one with the same savegame.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Allyn posted:

Not even sure culture shifting would count, because it may well check on the start date.

Anything in a 'possible' tag is checked at game start, iirc. (So, culture shifting shouldn't work for the netherlands achievement.)

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Beamed posted:

Wiz was playing an MP game where every colonial nation, being Muslim, was masterly named. See: Khalifornia.

Caliphornia

Also United Sheiks, Allahska and Infidel Castro. I forget what I called Canada.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Wiz posted:

Caliphornia

Al-Qanada is a good name for Canada.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!
I'm stuck on what to name Canada playing as Inca. Incan Ada or Inkanada are my two top choices, atm.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Wiz posted:

Caliphornia

You forgot Allahbama.

Hutter
Feb 16, 2011

It's been giving me nightmares.
You called it Meccanada. I took a screenshot at the end of that game. You also named Lousiana "Duq Dynasty", I did not quite get the joke on that one though.

I was way behind in the naming of colonies game in that one.

And in the weird shenanigans game in general. You managed to somehow cause the United States to end up in England... I only managed to create the Portuguese exchange university/admiralty/military collage/embassy against their will.

Hutter fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Aug 23, 2015

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Vlad Antlerkov posted:

MEIOU got updated for Common Sense.

It's like staring into the sun.

I am very into this.

The provinces anyway. Aesthetically it looks like awful. And I'm with Koramei in that redoing in the interface like that is a pretty boneheaded move.

Ofaloaf posted:

and check out all their Native Americans in North America!

:negative:

Antwan3K posted:

So this just happened in my Tuscany game while I was allied with France and losing badly to Burgundy :)

Well I'm pretty jealous.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Hutter posted:

You also named Lousiana "Duq Dynasty", I did not quite get the joke on that one though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_Dynasty

GSD
May 10, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you colonize eastern north america as Japan, you are obligated to form the colonial nation of Ohayo.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Which is better? Infantry with 1 pip defensive shock & 1 pip offensive morale or infantry with 1 pip offensive shock and 1 pip defensive morale? Mostly fighting same sized or slightly (2-4 regiments) smaller stacks.

What's the best way to get cores back from a vassal? I was all set to cancel the vassalization so I could declare war on Ligor and get my cores back, but the tooltip says I lose all my cores if I cancel the vasslization but if I wardec without canceling vassalization I lose 3 stability.

LLSix fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Aug 23, 2015

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Some of them do have beards worthy of devout Muslims.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Pyromancer posted:

Can you push the border at all, so you defend in deserts of Arabia/Sinai? Defensive ideas, grab fort defense advisor, fortify some desert land on the border, use scorched earth when he's coming. Attrition in arid land with scorched earth can reach 15% and really ruin army of any size quickly.

Also try to ally UK, although useless on land they usually have a strong navy of heavies they gladly contribute.

I definitely do the scorched earth tactic, it's saved me from conceding land by giving Ottomans lots of war exhaustion. I think if I drug the war out long enough to the point where he has zero man power, my other allies will either white peace, or lose where they would be forced to annul treaties with me which would be super bad. As for the UK, there are too many negatives to overcome the positives to ally them.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

In addition to the scorched earth recommendation, how is your income only neutral? You can probably mothball or scrap your bigboats, for one thing.

My ten heavy boats are mothbolled. I keep them to block the strait from Arabia to Africa when they declare war. The Ottomans never send ships that far out, but if they could get through and start ravaging the horn of Africa it's game over, so I'm being really cautious. As for why it's neutral, I don't know how to answer your question. I have three level 1 advisers, near max army force limit, no where near enough of a navy. My trade port is in Alexandria, but I don't have much trade power there, so my trade income is poor.

LLSix posted:

For Allies it looks like both Muscovy and Persia could be of help if you can get them onside.

You can start hiding your armies in Madagascar so you don't lose them. Once you catch up in tactics tech you can counter-attack after attrition and war-exhaustion have taken their toll. If you're losing every battle, there's not much point of having your troops guarding the border, that's just more warscore lost. Go ahead and expand in the other direction.

Honestly, that's a terrible situation; I don't think I'd have the guts to try and turn it around.

Muscovy has too many negatives to ally. I could ally Persia, they only have about 38k troops. And I can't expand in the other direction like I said, because they're giving me no time to recover during the white peace.

Jazerus posted:

Do you have the fort defense idea from Defensive? You can bleed the Ottomans horribly without ever firing a shot if you have good forts and fort placement, because the terrain in Nubia and Ethiopia is incredibly punishing and Coptic + Coffee + Defensive makes your forts take forever to siege. The basic idea is to tank for your allies by tying up a huge portion of the Ottoman army sieging your hellhole so that they can beat up the Ottomans on the European side.

That has been my thinking. I have about five forts in Egypt for that purpose, but I don't have fort defense idea yet. So far the Ottomans still steamroll my allies to the point where they can't recover.

I'm going to try going over my diplomatic relations limit to ally and see if that stops them from declaring war.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

LLSix posted:

Which is better? Infantry with 1 pip defensive shock & 1 pip offensive morale or infantry with 1 pip offensive shock and 1 pip defensive morale? Mostly fighting same sized or slightly (2-4 regiments) smaller stacks.

What's the best way to get cores back from a vassal? I was all set to cancel the vassalization so I could declare war on Ligor and get my cores back, but the tooltip says I lose all my cores if I cancel the vasslization but if I wardec without canceling vassalization I lose 3 stability.

Infantry choice there doesn't matter. Generally I'd say shock/fire is better than morale, and I would pick defensive pips over offensive unless you have a ton of really good military NIs then you might lean offensive. Sometimes you will have a choice between three or even four similar units but in this case they're pretty equivalent. The only thing that is -bad- is offensive fire on cavalry.

Probably just integrate the vassal, I can't think of a way to get them that wouldn't be more expensive than the few hundred diplo points.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Trying to pick up a Spain game again but drat they nerfed them hard. No core on Granada, constant threat of Castilian Civil War, and in five restarts I have yet to get the Iberian Wedding.

ed

And no matter how much I rush it, I can't beat Portugal to those islands off of Africa.

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 23, 2015

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Node posted:

I'm going to try going over my diplomatic relations limit to ally and see if that stops them from declaring war.

Wow, it looks like it worked. They decided to pick on Wallachia, who is allied with Lithuania, Spain, and Austria. And France just happens to be the Defender of the Faith (Wallachia must have converted somehow.)

"Je t'emmerde, le Ottoputains! HON HON HON HON HON" - Famous French Conquistador Clement des Herbiers, March 31 1659

Node fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Aug 23, 2015

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So what's a general strategy for when/how to invest monarch points into province development? Everything I've read has said that it's basically a waste of points and only really good for keeping you from going over the mp cap, which kind of makes the province development stuff a wasted feature.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I'm pretty sure MEIOU does have north american natives, but they are a separate download on the steam workshop for whatever reason.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I'm best friends with the Papal State. Naples takes Roma, so I take the mission to restore the Holy See. Attack Naples, Papal State is allied to castile, and thus sees it as a defensive call (I guess?) and joins against me. I'm tempted to loving vassalize them for their insolence.

They had a green check for me too which is stupid.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

PittTheElder posted:

I am very into this.

The provinces anyway. Aesthetically it looks like awful. And I'm with Koramei in that redoing in the interface like that is a pretty boneheaded move.

I've been trying it out a bit today and it's not as bad as I'd expected it would be. It suffers from the usual mod bloat and there are all sorts of :wtc: modder's-understanding-of-history things in it and I still don't understand why anyone actually wants to play with a computer-melting number of provinces as a regular thing, but there are genuinely some pretty good ideas in there and it's cool to see how far the game engine can be stretched by modders. It's also not nearly as Eurocentric as I thought it'd be.

when i get off the 'wow it's a whole new game' high i'm sure my opinion will sour a lot but it's fun to mess around in for a while.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I remember trying to play MEIOU a DLC or two back and my computer could simply not handle it. It worked, but it went by so goddamn slow.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

OneTwentySix posted:

I just got the 1001 achievement around 1700 with Ottomans last time I played. I kinda did a gimmick run, though, where I converted to Catholic and then Protestant, and became Emperor (another 10% coring discount, plus vassal swarm!) after winning the 30 years war, so you don't need to go as crazy as I did and should be fine. You're asking a lot less, but in case anyone else wanted to try, here's what I did...

Gave this a quick shot today and man, you aren't kidding about the start being hectic. I'm sure I could do better now that I have a bit of a feel for it, but that many wars in the first twenty years plus intentionally rebelling yourself catholic is a world of hurt.

Also, after I converted and wanted to release Syria, it warned me that they would release as Sunni, even though I was catholic, their provinces were catholic, and catholic was presumably the dominant faith. Anyone know what the problem was there?

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

So Ming forced me to release two-province minor Pegu. I agreed because Ming outnumbers me 6:1. When the truce timer finally runs down I go to declare war and all my cores are gone so I have no CB. It's been way less than 50 years since I released them (it's only 1472). What happened here? Do cores not stick around for at least 50 years anymore?

I love this game, but every time I take a break it feels like the rug has been pulled out from under me when I come back.

Tendronai
May 7, 2008

My worst nightmare. It's a dream I have. I'm in a square cell, glass walls, just me and a little castle.
I believe you need to have the primary culture of the province in question to not lose it as a core province when they get spat out. Otherwise the core gets revoked upon release.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

There isn't any way to invite a non-HRE state into the HRE, is there?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Bold Robot posted:

There isn't any way to invite a non-HRE state into the HRE, is there?

Annexation is sort of an invitation if you think about it.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LLSix posted:

So Ming forced me to release two-province minor Pegu. I agreed because Ming outnumbers me 6:1. When the truce timer finally runs down I go to declare war and all my cores are gone so I have no CB. It's been way less than 50 years since I released them (it's only 1472). What happened here? Do cores not stick around for at least 50 years anymore?

I love this game, but every time I take a break it feels like the rug has been pulled out from under me when I come back.

You lose cores when forced to release a nation now, so that you can't trivially reannex them.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Is there any easy way to identify nations that will accept an offer to become a Free City, or do I have to just click through everyone and check?

OneTwentySix
Nov 5, 2007

fun
FUN
FUN

nutranurse posted:

So what's a general strategy for when/how to invest monarch points into province development? Everything I've read has said that it's basically a waste of points and only really good for keeping you from going over the mp cap, which kind of makes the province development stuff a wasted feature.

You don't really want to develop unless you have nothing else to spend them on and you're going to go over the cap, getting a gold province to the 10 dip development, or you're really small and don't intend to get any bigger. I've never really noticed any benefit to development, aside from the gold provinces, though; if you're not conquering somewhere else, what are you doing all game, and if you are conquering, a few extra development is kind of a drop in the bucket. Others might have other opinions, but it really is a bit of a waste of monarch points for me; I'd generally rather try rolling another general or two rather than sink 100 points for 2-3 development into a province most of the time. If you really commit to development, you're probably going to fall behind in technology. I like the idea, but I think it'll probably be better implemented in EU5 if they decide to keep the idea.

skasion posted:

Gave this a quick shot today and man, you aren't kidding about the start being hectic. I'm sure I could do better now that I have a bit of a feel for it, but that many wars in the first twenty years plus intentionally rebelling yourself catholic is a world of hurt.

Also, after I converted and wanted to release Syria, it warned me that they would release as Sunni, even though I was catholic, their provinces were catholic, and catholic was presumably the dominant faith. Anyone know what the problem was there?

There's this weird thing where vassals only change religion if over 50% of their cores are the new religion, and extinct cores count extra. It didn't matter a whole lot to me that my vassals stayed Muslim in my game, but when I tried to make it work so that they'd be my religion, it was a mess and too much work.

If you can get through the conversion and get your vassals up, you're doing well. Persia as a march is really useful for most of the game and will really help your wars out if you can keep them loyal, though Iraq and Syria are less useful. It would probably be easier to have one big vassal in their place, or one small vassal that just blocks you off, but their main point is easy land plus coring cost and limited AE overall.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

If the religious leagues event never fires, will Catholicism eventually become the official religion of the Empire? It looks like you need at least one Protestant/Reformed elector for the event to fire, but my only Protestant elector just converted back to Catholic. The heretic princes are killing my IA gain but I can't enforce religion without an official religion. I can't get a CB on most of them so doing it in wars isn't really an option. Also apparently you can't revoke electorates until there's an official religion, so I can't just give an electorate to a heretic.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan

Bold Robot posted:

If the religious leagues event never fires, will Catholicism eventually become the official religion of the Empire? It looks like you need at least one Protestant/Reformed elector for the event to fire, but my only Protestant elector just converted back to Catholic. The heretic princes are killing my IA gain but I can't enforce religion without an official religion. I can't get a CB on most of them so doing it in wars isn't really an option. Also apparently you can't revoke electorates until there's an official religion, so I can't just give an electorate to a heretic.

The Protestant League has to declare the league war (30 years war). If they don't do so within a certain MTTH (30 years I think?), Catholicism becomes the official religion of the HRE by default.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Deutsch Nozzle posted:

The Protestant League has to declare the league war (30 years war). If they don't do so within a certain MTTH (30 years I think?), Catholicism becomes the official religion of the HRE by default.

I mean if the Leagues never even form. It looks like you need at least one heretic elector for the event creating the Leagues to fire, and I don't have one.

Deutsch Nozzle
Mar 29, 2008

#1 Macklemore fan
The Protestant League should be formed (and led by) the first HRE Elector to convert to Protestantism. If that didn't happen then something broke, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Dear Paradox,

Please make it so non-contiguous land provinces crash the game.

Thanks,
Fintilgin

• Locked thread