Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
I need to upgrade my Max for Ableton license

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
I really hope Apple doesn't jump at that discount and make it Mac only like they did w/ Emagic/Logic.

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...
You know, it drives me insane when people do it with other software but yeah, I call it Ableton too.

Do they even make anything else? I feel like it's at least a little less egregious if it's the only piece of software they make, whereas calling something "Adobe" or "Microsoft" is a little generic.

Splinter posted:

I really hope Apple doesn't jump at that discount and make it Mac only like they did w/ Emagic/Logic.

...What?

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Get with the program son! 30% off Ableton. See what I did there? You do?! Yes! :hf: :respek:

moctopus
Nov 28, 2005

Since the packs are of too, does anyone have any recommendations?

renderful
Mar 24, 2003

You'll love me, I promise.
Max 7 is also 30% off

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
drat, tempted to get a Push now

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
How do I run 4 audio inputs into Ableton for live composition and arranging through the session view.

Interface? Mixer? USB Mixer?

I'll be recording and launching stereo guitar signal, vocal mic, hard synth, and one misc mic.

My biggest concern is latency - budget is around 100$ max $200 but it would really have to be worth it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
You want an audio interface, yeah. Head on over to the Audio Interface thread and ask for recommendations there. $200 is a tight budget for what you're asking, though.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
:frogsiren: Sale extended through Monday! :frogsiren:

a loathsome bird
Aug 15, 2004

philkop posted:

How do I run 4 audio inputs into Ableton for live composition and arranging through the session view.

Interface? Mixer? USB Mixer?

I'll be recording and launching stereo guitar signal, vocal mic, hard synth, and one misc mic.

My biggest concern is latency - budget is around 100$ max $200 but it would really have to be worth it.

What do you have now? A mixer will let you mix inputs together before they reach your computer, an interface will have separate tracks for each input on Ableton. $200 will buy you a cheap 4-8 input mixer or a used/cheap 2-4 input interface. Latency with a cheap interface will be 15-40ms round trip or thereabouts.

You have 5 inputs listed also- stereo guitar counts for 2.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

wayfinder posted:

Hahah I don't think you've ever communicated with anyone about Ableton ever

I was talking about how the company itself refers to it since it's their sale

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003

Earwicker posted:

I was talking about how the company itself refers to it since it's their sale

I was being facetious but realtalk I've spoken to people who work there who called it "Ableton" and not "Live" and it's a cause I've given up on

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

Ortazel posted:

What do you have now? A mixer will let you mix inputs together before they reach your computer, an interface will have separate tracks for each input on Ableton. $200 will buy you a cheap 4-8 input mixer or a used/cheap 2-4 input interface. Latency with a cheap interface will be 15-40ms round trip or thereabouts.

You have 5 inputs listed also- stereo guitar counts for 2.

I've found I can manage with 4 inputs. I'll probably end up with something like this: http://www.midi-store.com/v/vspfiles/photos/SKU2115311-2T.jpg

Mono guitar, hard synth, vocals, extra input for whatever or guest.

Does anybody here use ableton for live looping? My whole rig is pretty much centered around being able to loop and mix these inputs in real time via the clip launcher and an apc40.

Hoping for some specific tips regarding live clip creation, maybe certain settings I should use regarding quantization and warping. I plan on using the looper effect in ableton to record my first loop which will also set the tempo for the song.

I can rock a ditto looper with no timing issues, but I know this will be a little different.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died
Recently two of the faders on my APC40 went to poo poo so I'm ordering new ones, and thought I would share the mouser page incase anyone is looking:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RS45112A400Gvirtualkey68800000virtualkey688-RS45112A400G

Has anyone ever tried DeoxIT fader cleaner? I was wondering if I should go that route before ordering new faders.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

OMGWTFAOLBBQ posted:

You're going to be hard pressed to find a powerful laptop for less than $1000. With that in mind, I'd get a laptop with the best CPU and the most RAM you can for the money.

Oh 2009

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

1karus posted:

Recently two of the faders on my APC40 went to poo poo so I'm ordering new ones, and thought I would share the mouser page incase anyone is looking:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=RS45112A400Gvirtualkey68800000virtualkey688-RS45112A400G

Has anyone ever tried DeoxIT fader cleaner? I was wondering if I should go that route before ordering new faders.

Those seem cheap enough to just go for them (if you think you can install them well.)

I've dealt with pot cleaner on guitars and I'd almost always rather just install a new pot.

E: Unless they still work, but are only slightly glitchy in their movement. Then maybe I'd go with slider cleaner.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
Quick question.

I can't figure out how to only hear my wet sends.

I'm setting up a send track to be used as a low pass filter but I keep hearing my dry signal come through.

Can I set it up so that when send is all of the way up I only hear wet?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think you need to set the tracks being sent to that return track as 'Send Only'. It's an option in the I/O box.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 24, 2015

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Second option is doing an effects rack, and have two threads, and one is the effects you wanted and the second is a utility with both phase buttons pressed. That way it cancels out the original track as the volume increases. A handy trick for other reasons too

Plavski
Feb 1, 2006

I could be a revolutionary
I'm finding it hard to resist the siren song of the Push - is there any news of a Push Mk2 on the horizon that can stay my hand for a while?

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets

echinopsis posted:

Second option is doing an effects rack, and have two threads, and one is the effects you wanted and the second is a utility with both phase buttons pressed. That way it cancels out the original track as the volume increases. A handy trick for other reasons too

THIS! Thank you man. Worked perfectly.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

echinopsis posted:

the second is a utility with both phase buttons pressed. That way it cancels out the original track as the volume increases.

i will use this, thanks.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Goon Made Wallets
E: nvm

philkop fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jun 28, 2015

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

9.2 is out.

1karus
Jan 29, 2006

The Fun Machine
Took a Shit and Died

Plavski posted:

I'm finding it hard to resist the siren song of the Push - is there any news of a Push Mk2 on the horizon that can stay my hand for a while?

There is some light speculation a new model is coming due to the recent flash sale they did for push, but nothing announced officially.

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

And Max for Live got updated to 7 :ccb:

SineRider
Oct 10, 2012

Come on die young
Really glad I bought a Push during that 30% off sale. Thing is a beast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFvseehk6gY

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

abraxas posted:

But do you guys think a Launchpad S and the Ableton Live Launchpad Edition (whatever that is) is a good and fun start for a beginner to learn stuff?

Don't hide your question in 5 paragraphs :)

Is Ableton Live easy to learn? Yes and no. Any authoring tool (Photoshop, an IDE, 3dsmax or Blender) is not easy to learn because it does a lot. There are tons of tutorial videos around and the manual is pretty useful, so it's not for want of documentation that it's hard to pick up.

While this is not a video for beginners, I still like it a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCx5L3kOoRA

because it shows the kind of cool poo poo you can do with it.

quote:

The Launchpad just seems like a more fun way to do it than to sit here with a poopy small MIDI Keyboard to plink around on once you've set up the software.

Why not both?

Usually, buying a keyboard and then buying a pad controller is a matter of budget. Do you play keyboard, or do you want to learn to play keyboard? No? Then start with the Launchpad.

The "xxx edition" is just a way of saying "this is Ableton Live Intro/Lite so it's not the full version" - see comparison chart here.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/feature-comparison/

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

IMO if you just do the first 4 or 5 tutorials that comes with the program, which takes like an hour, Ableton is extremely easy to learn once you have that basic stuff down. until you start messing with Max then it gets a bit crazy

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT
Cross posted from electronic music production, as I only just clocked that there's an Ableton thread:

In Live 9, other than using the Looper plugin, is there any way of recording a loop on the fly and having Ableton set the session tempo based on the length? It's really handy for what I"m doing, but the audio in the Looper pedal doesn't save with the session, and to get the audio into a clip you have to drag it out of the plugin, I can't find a way of doing it from my controller.

Also, any general tips for using Ableton for live looping would be appreciated, particularly with an Axiom Pro.

kuf
May 12, 2007
aaaaaa
I just found out how to use step input in the piano roll. poo poo's life changing.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

kuf posted:

I just found out how to use step input in the piano roll. poo poo's life changing.

You referring to the Fold feature, or do you mean placing midi effects on the rack to generate additional notes from a root note?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Pretty sure he's talking about this.

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.

Mister Speaker posted:

Holy hell I've been using Live for years and had no idea about that. And I thought the SHIFT+UP/DOWN to transpose by octaves was hot poo poo.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

chippy posted:

Cross posted from electronic music production, as I only just clocked that there's an Ableton thread:

In Live 9, other than using the Looper plugin, is there any way of recording a loop on the fly and having Ableton set the session tempo based on the length? It's really handy for what I"m doing, but the audio in the Looper pedal doesn't save with the session, and to get the audio into a clip you have to drag it out of the plugin, I can't find a way of doing it from my controller.

Also, any general tips for using Ableton for live looping would be appreciated, particularly with an Axiom Pro.

Is that a no then?

The Gasmask
Nov 30, 2006

Breaking fingers like fractals

Mister Speaker posted:

Haha wow, I've been using live exclusively since 6 and didn't know this or the octave transpose key combo :(.

Figured out how to use live to trigger patch changes on my AxeFX, I've now officially got my dream rig complete. Been reworking all my songs to have an additional patch change midi track, it's so drat cool!

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!
How do I go about updating authorizing the stand alone Max application if I got it through Ableton Suite?

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

Poizen Jam posted:

How do I go about updating authorizing the stand alone Max application if I got it through Ableton Suite?

Preferences->File/Folder->Max Application

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Radiapathy
Dec 3, 2011

Snooping as usual, I see.
For anyone interested in such things, I just finished a 4-part tutorial on how to play General MIDI files inside Ableton Live. This goes into detail about how Live handles MIDI files, and what tools and instruments you can use to play General MIDI songs in Live the way they were meant to be heard. There are also step-by-step walkthroughs for Steinberg HALion 5/HALion Sonic 2, Sonic Cat Purity, and a hardware Roland Sound Canvas. I'm a Windows user, but all tools and instruments I cover in depth are Mac/PC.