Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Dr Pepper posted:

This was never going to happen.

Worries over people "bootlegging" Mario levels instead of buying the original games? Is that really a concern?

Hell, it would make sense for Mario's 30th bday that they bundle in a Super Mario All-Stars 2 feature with the game that includes all the original games as content. That would probably sell more copies, as it would be the ultimate classic Mario game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
Yea lets add a massive amount of development time for very little appreciatable difference

Timall
Dec 20, 2008
gently caress I love the sound effects option. I can't wait to make a castle level filled with burning, screaming Cheep Cheeps

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

SeANMcBAY posted:

This is not the case according to gamexplain. All the styles share the same physics.

I dont know what gamexplain is but is this true? I heard the complete opposite from people who played the game around e3. Also from looking at the gameplay the physics look different to me

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

BabyRyoga posted:

I just feel like a game called "Mario Maker" should 100% be able to make an exact 1 for 1 copy of any Mario game level that has already existed, otherwise the game fails on some fundamental level. I would think it screams oversight more than anything, but there's no way they leave something like that out on accident.
I would never have expected one-off gimmick stuff like the angry sun or the floating platform that stops moving if too many enemies are on it, but some of the omissions and limitations are pretty irritating. Obviously this was never going to be as powerful a level creator as Little Big Planet's and that's probably a good thing, but that makes the absence of basic Mario features like slopes, podaboos, check points, and tiered power-up blocks all the more disappointing.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Why does everyone keep saying there's no Podoboos?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Mega64 posted:

Haha, well in my case it's from spending more time reading other people say it than studying that image.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

i wonder if you can play sounds on your phone and that will be good enough for it to record

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Mega64 posted:

Someone posted a list of things they want added to the game and included podoboos, then the error propagated.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BabyRyoga posted:

I just feel like a game called "Mario Maker" should 100% be able to make an exact 1 for 1 copy of any Mario game level that has already existed, otherwise the game fails on some fundamental level. I would think it screams oversight more than anything, but there's no way they leave something like that out on accident.

Yeah basically this, I can't imagine conceiving of this game and not ensuring this. They probably even still have level editors lying around from when the games were developed as a starting point. Even if allowing all the levels is a tough goal to achieve, this game fails to even let you create something identical to 1-1 in SMB.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

On its own merits the game still looks pretty rgeat so I'm not too upset, but it sure would be nice if they patched in some of the fundamentals after release (I didn't even realise there wasn't a contextual item block, that really is a bizarre oversight)

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah basically this, I can't imagine conceiving of this game and not ensuring this. They probably even still have level editors lying around from when the games were developed as a starting point. Even if allowing all the levels is a tough goal to achieve, this game fails to even let you create something identical to 1-1 in SMB.

Is it just the pipe redirect not working or is something else deeply wrong that I don't know about?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Doctor Goat posted:

Is it just the pipe redirect not working or is something else deeply wrong that I don't know about?

Nitpicky but fire flower blocks always give you fire flowers, there's no "mushroom if you're small, fireflower if you're big" blocks. The pipe shortcut doesn't matter as much to me though I don't know which of those features are in.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Is there any sort of leader board feature for the levels? From what I've seen there isn't and that's a bit of a shame. I'd like to see boards for both high score and for completion time.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, I have to say that if the game doesn't allow you to recreate pretty much every previous Mario level from 1 through at least Super Mario World, it kind of fails to achieve its purpose in my eyes. I'm sorry if that's an ignorant opinion due to design difficulty or something I'm not seeing but you're crazy if you don't think it's an opinion shared by tons of people interested in this game.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Aug 23, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah, I have to say that if the game doesn't allow you to recreate pretty much every previous Mario level from 1 through at least Super Mario World, it kind of fails to achieve its purpose in my eyes. I'm sorry if that's an ignorant opinion due to design difficulty or something I'm not seeing but you're crazy if you don't think it's an opinion shared by tons of people interested in this game.

who careds. that's a failure of imagination. if i want to play smb1-3 or world i own all of those and can already play all of them on my wii u. i want to see the crazy poo poo that people are coming up with. i ddon't want to play hundreds of copies of smb 1-1, if i did i'd just load up smb and play it

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

like, that's literally the worst complaint i can think of. whole point of the game is for people to come up with cool new levels, birtching that you can't just remake the old stuff endlessly until the end of time is loving dumb as hell

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
The way that ? Blocks work is understandable, since fan-levels are often way more gimmicky and we'll see more levels where you should have a certain power-up at a certain part. Putting two blocks is much more stupid and might make someone with a small Mario stuck, because they hit those blocks at once, getting two mushrooms. And, sure, I would like more poo poo, but the ability to combine elements seems more important than having Walking Fire guys from Mario 3 or something like that. It's not meant to be a tool for recreating your favorite levels!
Mario games had a lot of poo poo, and I can't imagine how anyone is surprised that some elements are missing. Mario 3 had something different basically every level! Half above ground-half underground levels, pyramids, bolted blocks, red note blocks, tanks, black and white levels, sideway Thwomps, etc. Sure, slopes, some new power-ups, water tiles and vertical levels would be nice, and I think they'll add some packs that may have them, but having every element from four games is asking too much.

Vookatos fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 23, 2015

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Eonwe posted:

i wonder if you can play sounds on your phone and that will be good enough for it to record

Unfortunately, custom sounds don't actually upload, so there isn't really much point.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
The only thing missing that I think will seriously hamper creativity is sloped terrain.

Context-sensitive blocks, fire brothers, etc would all be neat to have, but not really critical.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

It's not that I specifically want to recreate levels, that's just a barometer for the feature-completeness of the game. I want the same creative freedom that the original creators had and it seems bizarre that it's anything less than that. They obviously have (way outdated) tools they used to create those levels, couldn't they port them over?

I also want the physics of each individual game instead of...whatever the single physics engine is because I have no idea which game it feels like.

Frankly I'd rather a (complete) SMB3 maker than a partial subset of a bunch of them. SMB3 ruled.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Aug 23, 2015

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

It's not that I specifically want to recreate levels, that's just a barometer for the feature-completeness of the game. I want the same creative freedom that the original creators had and it seems bizarre that it's anything less than that. They obviously have (way outdated) tools they used to create those levels, couldn't they port them over?

I also want the physics of each individual game instead of...whatever the single physics engine is because I have no idea which game it feels like.

even if they could snap their loving fingers and make the exact same code from four different games across three different systems spaced over thirty years work in a single game i 100% guarantee those tools weren't user friendly enough to give to the public. in fact i know they weren't because miyamoto said as much during the e3 treehouse. also that's a really dumb barometer because that's something like 300 or so levels most of which have unique gimmicks, that's an insane number of tools to have to create

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
While we're on the subject of what we want, I think I would want night levels. 3-1 is my favorite SMB1 level, because white pipes with dark sky look rad. I would make every level SMB1 night level.

I think they just didn't have enough time (at least for more obvious elements that aren't there). I see no reason for why they couldn't add, let's say, Fuzzy, and I'm sure they didn't just forgot. We know that they kept working at the game at least until E3, and I would imagine that testing this thing would be kinda hard, since everything should work together, and many elements can be combined. I don't know much about creating games, but I feel like programming a sun that chases you might be easier than recreating it perfectly and then putting it inside a sandbox where you can give it wings, make it big, put a hat on it and attack it many different ways.

Lynx Winters
May 1, 2003

Borderlawns: The Treehouse of Pandora

Frankly I'd rather a (complete) SMB3 maker than a partial subset of a bunch of them. SMB3 ruled.

http://www.romhacking.net/utilities/298/ There, have fun.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
SMB1/2/3/4 level editor = graph paper.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I don't care if you can't give the sun wings.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Guys stpo having complaints about a game :qq:

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I think this complaint is about as legitimate a complaint as you can possibly have about a game like this.

No worries though, it'll still be awesome.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Overbite posted:

Guys stpo having complaints about a game :qq:

oh no someone's calling me out for stupid bitching, better pretend they're the crybaby

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I'm sorry that everyone is complaining about a game that will still be Game of the Generation regardless of any complaints people may have about it.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Fungah! posted:

oh no someone's calling me out for stupid bitching, better pretend they're the crybaby

this guy is mad as gently caress:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3726029&userid=175670

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
There are things that could make Super Mario Maker better and they're things that could be DLC later (primarily slopes and the angry sun).

Right now, the only thing needed to make it better is to have it in my possession.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

i've got a couple of complaints too from what i've seen (mostly no sloped ground)b ut whining about it not being four fully feature complete level editors with four different sets of physics and evyery other thing i can think of is dumb and the game as is looks insanely cool and well thought out

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

slopes of any sort seem to be in such high demand that I imagine they'll figure out a solution for DLC (probably free?). probably have like one or two slope angles at least, you can make that stuff work on a grid system i'm sure

besides you can't do proper sonic costume levels without slopes

my personal powerup wishlist includes the wearable koopa shell from NSMB because other than the raccoon tail that was the most fun

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Wait there's no slopes?

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Countblanc posted:

Wait there's no slopes?

ban this racist filth

ElegantFugue
Jun 5, 2012

I was going to say people whining about this game not having literally every feature ever from every Mario game in it and therefore being a rushed hackjob by idiots were kind of dumb, but

Fungah! posted:

even if they could snap their loving fingers and make the exact same code from four different games across three different systems spaced over thirty years work in a single game i 100% guarantee those tools weren't user friendly enough to give to the public. in fact i know they weren't because miyamoto said as much during the e3 treehouse. also that's a really dumb barometer because that's something like 300 or so levels most of which have unique gimmicks, that's an insane number of tools to have to create
does it a lot better. There is not some magic "import old games to new editor" button you press to make things happen, it takes actual time and effort to add things, even if they were implemented in previous games on previous systems running older engines on different hardware (and also remade for the other three modes too). It's not jaw-dropping that your list of favorite one-off gimmicks isn't in.

Slopes are kinda annoying to not have though, yeah.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

aactually anyone know what that first tool on day 8 on the chart is?

thing says it's called the "track line", whatever that means, but it kkind of looks like a slope tool

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

It's a track for platforms and other things to move along. You can attach almost anything to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

You can make tracks slopped but not ground.

• Locked thread