Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It might be worth it, it might last 40 years. The problem is you have no way of knowing. So much of furniture's life is the material used, the tolerances allowed, and the actual design of the piece - i.e. how it's put together. A chair with good tolerances using decent wood might last as long as a $2000 velvet-cushioned artisanal dining chair built with dovetail joints from African Blackwood.

You can't just look at price and say "this is better", it might be a bunch of expensive poo poo designed badly and put together poorly. I've seen that. We stopped carrying a particular furniture line because they had exactly this problem - they were higher end but designed badly and wore out relatively quickly.

Yeah, I 100% agree with this. Not to mention the designer/art factor -- sure, a George Nakashima table will cost you tens of thousands of dollars, but you're not paying for the workmanship alone. You'd pay that because you think he was an artist and you want to display his art in your home.

You would, yeah, also want to see the thing first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Evil Mastermind posted:

I have to admit, this is a nice looking "gaming" table, but $2800 is really high for a 7-piece set.

Couldn't you make a similar table that looks basically the same and has the same general function with like $200, a weekend of work, some power tools, and some patience sifting through garage/estate sales?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Drone posted:

Couldn't you make a similar table that looks basically the same and has the same general function with like $200, a weekend of work, some power tools, and some patience sifting through garage/estate sales?

To be more functional, I'm making a table built off 2 ikea kallax units and some felt on top of plywood. This is all just paying for looks for people who don't know anything about woodworking. I am certainly not about to say I could make a table that looks as good, because I simply don't know that much about building poo poo. I suspect most people don't.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Drone posted:

Assuming it's actually nice wood and not crappy box store pine, no not $200. For my table, I bought nice furniture grade poplar and paid $450 for the wood. Oak or some other hardwood would be even more.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Doctor Zero posted:

Assuming it's actually nice wood and not crappy box store pine, no not $200. For my table, I bought nice furniture grade poplar and paid $450 for the wood. Oak or some other hardwood would be even more.

That's why I mentioned garage/estate sales to get some used furniture for cheaper to then modify instead of buying lumber.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Drone posted:

That's why I mentioned garage/estate sales to get some used furniture for cheaper to then modify instead of buying lumber.

Meh. Personally I think that'd be a bigger pain in the rear end than just building something.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Couldn't you just chop down a tree, process and treat the lumber, and build your table that way?

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Week you don't want to pay the owner for the wood. I suggest planting the trees waiting then chopping before building the table

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Couldn't you just find a good woodworker and eat his brain to gain his power

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Just got a final "this is the address you gave us, double check and make sure it's right" email from Rule and Make for Entropy, so that's about to ship

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is actually a pretty clever idea: dice for tracking passive bonuses. Unfortunately, half the dice are only useful for 3.Path derived games (due to being Fort/Ref/Will Saves), and they only go up to +3, which you can outpace pretty quickly with 3.Path games.

Thanlis
Mar 17, 2011

Evil Mastermind posted:

This is actually a pretty clever idea: dice for tracking passive bonuses. Unfortunately, half the dice are only useful for 3.Path derived games (due to being Fort/Ref/Will Saves), and they only go up to +3, which you can outpace pretty quickly with 3.Path games.

"We're not sure how we're going to make the dice racks if people want a lot of them."

Also, $25K goal for... dice.

Also, $2 for shipping anywhere in the world.

Do not touch.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Evil Mastermind posted:

They're actually perfect for 4e, too. Hmm....

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, why would you waste a face on "+0?" Surely if you have no bonus you just don't put one of these dice in front of you?

Seems to me that a better way to do this would be something roughly the size of, say, a poker chip, but treated with a dry-erase surface so you could just quickly jot down a modifier, but not be drowning in index cards at the end of a session.

Oh wait....

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

GimpInBlack posted:

Also, why would you waste a face on "+0?" Surely if you have no bonus you just don't put one of these dice in front of you?

Seems to me that a better way to do this would be something roughly the size of, say, a poker chip, but treated with a dry-erase surface so you could just quickly jot down a modifier, but not be drowning in index cards at the end of a session.

Oh wait....

Currently unavailable.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

Mojo Jojo posted:

Currently unavailable.

Huh. When I posted that it still had a "buy this from other sellers" link. Oh well, these are in stock and they're designed to tent up, which might be even better.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Mojo Jojo posted:

Currently unavailable.

GimpInBlack posted:

Huh. When I posted that it still had a "buy this from other sellers" link. Oh well, these are in stock and they're designed to tent up, which might be even better.

You can also get cards from All Rolled Up, about $2.50 for 10. They also sell ones that are a little bigger.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Or if you still wanted dice, you could not bother with a kickstarter and just get these

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Ryuutama should start printing within 2-3 days! :dance:

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

I just finished the last bit of final writing on Thin Blue Line and am celebrating with come chili-cheese fries and an ice cold shiner. Gonna need edited and laid out, then the book is actually done!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I have blank six-siders that I write on with wet-erase markers. Good for order dice, status markers, whatever. I've had them for at least 8 or 10 years and forget where I got them from but I doubt they're that hard to find.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Leperflesh posted:

I have blank six-siders that I write on with wet-erase markers. Good for order dice, status markers, whatever. I've had them for at least 8 or 10 years and forget where I got them from but I doubt they're that hard to find.

Chessex sells blank polyhedrals, so pretty much any game store should be able to get them.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

TMG just sent out the survey for Orleans kickstarted which means hopefully they'll ship in September and not October. :peanut:

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

Just got home from work and found my copy of Feng Shui 2 waiting for me. Beautiful looking book, I hope to maybe find the time to read it someday.

Playing it would also be p. cool, but with the amount of gaming I've been doing lately, I'm not going to hold my breath.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Heck yes the Myth Journeyman pledge manager is up!

... anyone?

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

signalnoise posted:

Heck yes the Myth Journeyman pledge manager is up!

... anyone?

I guess it would be cool to see if they fixed the flaws in the game? Or if they actually improve the delivery methods, which was pretty crap from what I've heard?

Did they deliver MERC?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LordAba posted:

I guess it would be cool to see if they fixed the flaws in the game? Or if they actually improve the delivery methods, which was pretty crap from what I've heard?

Did they deliver MERC?

MERCS: Recon is like a month or two out still. They had a video at some point where they talked about their delivery stuff and apparently for the first run of Myth they actually did all the mailing themselves, which they of course said was a huge, huge mistake that they'd never do again. They're currently blaming delays on their product providers, and that everything is actually designed and they're just waiting for product so they can fulfill.

I've already played the 2.0 rules for Myth and I like it a lot. Seems to me like pretty much the same game as the original, but the rulebook has been totally rewritten from a teaching standpoint so it's actually easy to understand. Do you have any specific complaints about the gameplay from Myth 1.0?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LordAba posted:

Did they deliver MERC?

Last update on the subject (8/7) said it has shipped and they were waiting for it to hit customs but had no ETA. It'll be at least another few weeks once that happens since it has to clear customs and get to the fulfillment center. They said to expect the next update at that point, although they might touch base sooner if there's further delay.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Some existing projects completed. World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service has been distributed and is fine. Viceroy is also finally out to the EU (after retail sales began) but is not so fine. People are reporting missing items from their consignments and the box lid seams can split at a moment's notice.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I got a huge box of War of Indines yesterday! This is a tremendous amount of stuff and I didn't even add-on anything.

Germ
May 7, 2013

Jedit posted:

Some existing projects completed. World of Smog: On Her Majesty's Service has been distributed and is fine. Viceroy is also finally out to the EU (after retail sales began) but is not so fine. People are reporting missing items from their consignments and the box lid seams can split at a moment's notice.

Opposite experience in the U.S. My copy of Smog hasn't shown up yet, but Viceroy showed up ages ago and it's fantastic. No missing stuff, no splitting box, and a wonderful game.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

malkav11 posted:

Last update on the subject (8/7) said it has shipped and they were waiting for it to hit customs but had no ETA. It'll be at least another few weeks once that happens since it has to clear customs and get to the fulfillment center. They said to expect the next update at that point, although they might touch base sooner if there's further delay.

Cool, as long as they show improvement in the process!

signalnoise mentioned wanting to the know the problems and... I haven't played a single game of Myth yet honestly. I know people were having problems with some of the status effects not being defined (poison) while the quest system was a bit broken out of the box (undead captains or whatever being needed that were not provided out of the box) and the base rules just not being very good. I want a game that is "finished" as I don't have a lot of time hunting down FAQs and different modules and spend a lot of time preloading quests. Maybe it is not the game for me, which is fine. I have most of the models from the first kickstarter and might buy some of the new stuff because it looks cool, but eh?

EDIT: Man I can't wait for Pixel Tactics to be delivered.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LordAba posted:

signalnoise mentioned wanting to the know the problems and... I haven't played a single game of Myth yet honestly. I know people were having problems with some of the status effects not being defined (poison) while the quest system was a bit broken out of the box (undead captains or whatever being needed that were not provided out of the box) and the base rules just not being very good. I want a game that is "finished" as I don't have a lot of time hunting down FAQs and different modules and spend a lot of time preloading quests. Maybe it is not the game for me, which is fine. I have most of the models from the first kickstarter and might buy some of the new stuff because it looks cool, but eh?

http://megacongames.com/2015/03/02/2nd-edition-myth-rules/

Give that a read

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

LordAba posted:

What I'm hoping (and not really expecting) is that they'll include some way to actually store the giant piles of stretch goal extras. With my Myth order, there is no room in the game box for anything over what comes in it by default. All of the addon/stretch goal stuff is at least twice as much stuff by volume and just came loose in the shipping box. (I mean, the cards are packed in little bundles and such, it's not a complete disaster. But I've yet to figure out what to do with it all.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Opened my BattleCON box, saw all the contents, closed the box, wept at all the sorting and tuckbox making that will need to be involved.

I imagine that the same thing will happen with Millenium Blades, minus tuckboxes.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

malkav11 posted:

What I'm hoping (and not really expecting) is that they'll include some way to actually store the giant piles of stretch goal extras. With my Myth order, there is no room in the game box for anything over what comes in it by default. All of the addon/stretch goal stuff is at least twice as much stuff by volume and just came loose in the shipping box. (I mean, the cards are packed in little bundles and such, it's not a complete disaster. But I've yet to figure out what to do with it all.)

Why, another kickstarter, of course!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/932371889/mantis-storage-for-zombies-and-mythical-minions?ref=nav_search

Just kidding though. I am working on a good way to store it all using stuff from U-line. For the cost of one of those box sets, you could just buy some pluck foam and some of these http://www.uline.com/BL_1405/Jumbo-Carrying-Cases.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
At least with Myth you can kind of get away with a giant blob of minis before you start cleaning/painting them. But yeah, that will be crazy.
The only bad thing is the kickstarter giving away exclusives, but oh well. I'll have to look up those 2nd ed rules/faqs/whatnot when I have some time.

GrandpaPants posted:

Opened my BattleCON box, saw all the contents, closed the box, wept at all the sorting and tuckbox making that will need to be involved.

I imagine that the same thing will happen with Millenium Blades, minus tuckboxes.

BattleCON is a lot of stuff. I went with the sandwich baggy option which is working out well for me.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

LordAba posted:

At least with Myth you can kind of get away with a giant blob of minis before you start cleaning/painting them. But yeah, that will be crazy.
The only bad thing is the kickstarter giving away exclusives, but oh well. I'll have to look up those 2nd ed rules/faqs/whatnot when I have some time.

Just FYI there are version 2.0 printed materials coming out at some point to replace some of the cards and also they completely redid the way traps work.

The core of the game is the same though. Venture forth, kill baddies, and try to be as efficient as possible with your group before the Darkness counter rolls over and the enemy has a turn. In a lot of ways it is very puzzly, but I like the combat so much more than the Dungeons and Dragons board games and Super Dungeon Explore and Imperial Assault that it's easy to look past the flaws. Definitely give it a shot. If you've got any rules questions let me know, I think it's a tragedy that the game fell victim to terribly rulebook design.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

LordAba posted:

BattleCON is a lot of stuff. I went with the sandwich baggy option which is working out well for me.

Worked well for me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

signalnoise posted:

Just FYI there are version 2.0 printed materials coming out at some point to replace some of the cards and also they completely redid the way traps work.

The core of the game is the same though. Venture forth, kill baddies, and try to be as efficient as possible with your group before the Darkness counter rolls over and the enemy has a turn. In a lot of ways it is very puzzly, but I like the combat so much more than the Dungeons and Dragons board games and Super Dungeon Explore and Imperial Assault that it's easy to look past the flaws. Definitely give it a shot. If you've got any rules questions let me know, I think it's a tragedy that the game fell victim to terribly rulebook design.

That's a generous way to put it, considering they launched their kickstarter over 2 years ago and just now have a "playable" ruleset. gently caress those guys.

• Locked thread