Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!
(Also, it's not a whole park, just a large-ish addition to Animal Kingdom.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

WhiteHowler posted:

Avatar is literally the biggest hit film of all time, and the sequel is coming out in December 2017.

The property may not have much buzz right now, but I can't imagine it won't be huge.

I just don't see the point of a whole park area devoted to that particular IP, I guess. It works for Harry Potter, and it'll certainly work for Star Wars, but I just don't recall there being a lot of super-hardcore Avatar fans.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

MrYenko posted:

I just don't see the point of a whole park area devoted to that particular IP, I guess. It works for Harry Potter, and it'll certainly work for Star Wars, but I just don't recall there being a lot of super-hardcore Avatar fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk2vR8w2sjc

It's fake but

chitoryu12 fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Aug 18, 2015

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

James Cameron is working on not one or two but three sequels and even that aside I think people will just be really impressed by it because of the level of detail going in. Not to mention it seems like it has a killer E-ticket ride going in called The Flight of Passage.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Avatar is literally the biggest hit film of all time, and the sequel is coming out in December 2017.

The property may not have much buzz right now, but I can't imagine it won't be huge.

It comes out in slightly over 2 years and there's been 0 about it in the news and most Avatar fan base sites are dying off left and right. If people were excited about them, there would be more general interest. Avatarland is a very poor idea for the long term and will probably be bulldozed over or rethemed in 10-15 years regardless of how well the movies do. Same goes for Toy Story land. Pixar Place would've been something you could expand on for as long as Pixar existed. Toy Story limits your ability so much I have no idea why they did it that way. It seems stupid.

Avatar is not Star Wars. Avatar made shitloads of money in 2008. That is 7 years ago. It will be 9 years ago when the sequel comes out and the sequel might (unlikely but maybe) bomb. It's only been 7 years since this movie came out and nobody references it anymore. It does not have a societal recognition anymore. They should've waited until 2017 and seen if the movie was going to go as big as the first one (Or Cameron shouldn't have waited nearly a decade to release a sequel). In 1995, more than 10 years after Return of the Jedi came out, people were still referencing it and talking about Star Wars poo poo. It's 7 years later with Avatar and people go "oh yeah that was that blue rabbit/cat person movie right?". I just don't have a lot of faith in that decision.

Tim Whatley posted:

James Cameron is working on not one or two but three sequels and even that aside I think people will just be really impressed by it because of the level of detail going in. Not to mention it seems like it has a killer E-ticket ride going in called The Flight of Passage.

Because what we need is more E-ticket rides with 120 minute pile ups, especially in the hottest park with the most limited hours. I'm not saying Animal Kingdom doesn't need rides, but Disney really needs to remember E-ticket doesn't just mean roller coaster kinda poo poo. As someone who has 0 interest in roller coasters and wild rides, I saw nothing that interested me other than maybe the Avatar boat ride. Everyone will go check out Pandora, but Disney seems to think that it has Harry Potter's staying power and I honestly don't think it does.

E:
And that never gets old :lol:

Fluffy Bunnies fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Aug 18, 2015

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
It doesn't need Harry Potter level recognition. They have Marvel and Star Wars for that. Avatar is a suitable THEME for AK, and it is looking like a fantastic expansion just for the environment alone.

Plus, even with Harry Potter, Universals numbers haven't put a DENT in Disney attendance, it's helped it if anything from people coming down to see Harry Potter but also going to Disney because it's Disney.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Bottom Liner posted:

It doesn't need Harry Potter level recognition. They have Marvel and Star Wars for that. Avatar is a suitable THEME for AK, and it is looking like a fantastic expansion just for the environment alone.

Plus, even with Harry Potter, Universals numbers haven't put a DENT in Disney attendance, it's helped it if anything from people coming down to see Harry Potter but also going to Disney because it's Disney.

I'm not saying that putting Pandora in Animal Kingdom is going to make Disney fail. I'm saying it's a dumb and poor idea even if it will look good. It's not something that's going to stand very long in my honest opinion.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I wouldn't try to predict its success or failure just yet. We don't know what'll happen with the next Avatar, after all. It's easily possible for the next movie to bomb and turn Na'vi Land into an embarrassment....or it may be one of the best movies of the 2010s and revitalize interest in the franchise. Sequels, especially sequels coming a decade or more after the past film, can be a real toss-up. Compare the differing reactions this year to Terminator: Genisys, Jurassic World, and Mad Max: Fury Road. I don't think any of us predicted Mad Max being :perfect:, let alone one of the best action films of the decade. And like hell anyone predicted it being a centerpiece of feminist filmmaking.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

I'm still sour over the Beastly Kingdom not being a thing and the stupid Dragon being on the Animal Kingdom logo still.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
Avatar is one of the most realized fictional natural settings we've got. Letting imagineers run wild with a chunk of a park that never really reached its full potential is a fantastic idea. It's not going to hurt the park in any way. AK will now be open after dark, which gives them so much more to work with. Even if the sequels aren't tremendous hits, they're not going to let that impact the park, it'll still be amazing to see and experience. People aren't going to be all "gently caress that park, I hate that movie!". I don't care for aerosmith but goddamn if I don't scream like an idiot when Steven Tyler launches me into some drug fueled spinning nightmare.

Avatar won't make AK perfect but it'll be a huge step forward. Maybe they'll try to work on the Beastly Kingdom stuff afterwards. Dinoland needs to be redone, because it's a sad waste of space right now. Maybe combine dinosaurs into some type of "ancient beasts and mythical legends" type deal.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Primeval Whirl is a great ride, and Dinosaur is my favorite at AK! The theming of Dinoland is pretty brilliant but not conveyed well at all and leaves many guests scratching their head and wondering why something at Disney looks so cheesy.

Also, they're doing some serious ramping up at AK as far as staff and behind the scenes stuff. A new table service restaurant is coming soon, they're adding a lot of full time positions, etc. The night time stuff is going to be a big deal, even before the Avatar expansion opens. I just want to see the Hyaenas.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Lincoln`s Wax posted:

AK will now be open after dark, which gives them so much more to work with.

Really? Are they just shutting down the safari ride after dark, and leaving the rest of the park open? I was under the impression that animal well-being was a prime driver in the early closing time.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

MrYenko posted:

Really? Are they just shutting down the safari ride after dark, and leaving the rest of the park open? I was under the impression that animal well-being was a prime driver in the early closing time.

Safari ride is getting a night time version with various predator animals being featured (like the aforementioned hyaenas). The daytime animals go in before sunset already, so they won't be in danger. It's going to rule. They're also adding a nighttime spectacular that will be based on the river and feature lights/music (no fireworks of course).

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy

MrYenko posted:

and then the almighty dollar trumped animal well-being.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The animals aren't being worked any harder or doing anything differently. Different sets of animals. Not all attractions will be open after dark either (the trails, Rafiki's, etc).

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

demonR6 posted:

and then the almighty dollar trumped animal well-being.

Having worked at a zoo that had frequent night time events: the diurnal animals will either be put up or be asleep. They seriously don't care if they're used to humans, and I'm pretty sure animal kingdom ones are. The giraffes I dealt with that were from AK were pretty chill and friendly and really didn't give a poo poo about humans being around them any time of the day or night.

Bottom Liner posted:

The animals aren't being worked any harder or doing anything differently. Different sets of animals. Not all attractions will be open after dark either (the trails, Rafiki's, etc).

All that above said, it's gonna be enough to turn AZA's head and they're going to keep one hell of a watch on them. And I'm positive Disney's already aware of this. My concern is the lights for trails bothering or shooing nocturnal animals away. There's not much they can do about that, though.

I think Beastly Kingdom would've done better than Avatarland, honestly. And again, you can have it there for the long haul. And given how much room AK has, there's really no reason they couldn't do both.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Rhino Rally was always so loving creepy at night when Busch Gardens used to have the gigantic savanna in the middle of the park and stayed open late during the summer. Now they just have Edge of Africa and some animal pens with a boardwalk. drat you idiot who somehow figured out how to roll over a 10 foot wide Land Rover.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I hope they don't get rid of the 90s cartoon Hulk stuff :(

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper
Splash Mountain is based on an IP that's banned and it's an extremely popular ride that draws huge lines 28 years later. The IP doesn't matter if the place is themed well and has great rides.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

KidVanguard posted:

Splash Mountain is based on an IP that's banned and it's an extremely popular ride that draws huge lines 28 years later. The IP doesn't matter if the place is themed well and has great rides.

Guess who's got a commercial DVD copy of said IP sitting in his house somewhere?

It was gifted by a Disney and Universal employee that we're no longer friends with because he's literally crazy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I need to dig out my dad's old Birnbaum 1992 guide that had a preview of the soon-to-be-opening Splash Mountain.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

KidVanguard posted:

People knew what Song of the South was when Splash Mountain appeared and it became a family favorite that people have now passed down to their kids because "I rode this when I was a kid!". In fact, Song of the South was re-released in 1986, just three years before the ride popped out. And it was re-released in theatres several times between the 1940's and then, too. IPs absolutely do matter. The little mermaid ride in california is fantastically themed and gorgeous and it is a walk on except at crazy high peak times of the year. And little mermaid is still popular enough to have merchandise out. When's the last time you saw something Avatar-based that wasn't just the dvd in a store?

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

People knew what Song of the South was when Splash Mountain appeared and it became a family favorite that people have now passed down to their kids because "I rode this when I was a kid!". In fact, Song of the South was re-released in 1986, just three years before the ride popped out. And it was re-released in theatres several times between the 1940's and then, too. IPs absolutely do matter. The little mermaid ride in california is fantastically themed and gorgeous and it is a walk on except at crazy high peak times of the year. And little mermaid is still popular enough to have merchandise out. When's the last time you saw something Avatar-based that wasn't just the dvd in a store?

You're reaching, dude. I know a ton of people who know of Splash Mountain, the ride (even if they've never been to Disney World), but have no idea what Song of the South is. I'm not sure you can even buy anything related to that movie besides glasses at the gift shop outside the ride.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

The Unholy Ghost posted:

You're reaching, dude. I know a ton of people who know of Splash Mountain, the ride (even if they've never been to Disney World), but have no idea what Song of the South is. I'm not sure you can even buy anything related to that movie besides glasses at the gift shop outside the ride.

I'm talking about opening day vs opening day, not current day vs 28 years in the future for avatarland (which won't exist 28 years in the future from it's opening day, probably).

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
Ah, okay. Yeah, you're right.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I think anything being co created by Joe Rohde and James Cameron is reason enough to be stoked as hell, IP involvement or not.

KidVanguard
Jan 27, 2006

American Diaper

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

The Little Mermaid is a walk on because it uses the omnimover system that eats up crowds like pac man and because the ride isn't actually that great. Management has been trying to plus it over time because they love how efficient it is with crowds but it the ride itself is pretty lame.

And if you really want to get into it, some of the biggest rides at Disneyland had no IPs opening day: Pirates, Haunted Mansion, Space Mountain, Big Thunder, Matterhorn, Submarines.... but these rides were all absolutely through the moon fantastic.

The Little Mermaid sucks and is on par with an extended fantasyland ride with greater capacity.

IPs don't matter if its great and Avaterland, which will be opening with the new movies, will absolutely not be hurt by its source material if its done well. And yeah, if Cameron and Rhodes are working on it there's a really high chance it'll be amazing.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Plus the early footage of the tech they're using there is out of this world mind blowing stuff. It looks incredible.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/travel/attractions/theme-park-rangers-blog/os-disney-animal-kingdom-avatar-video-20150226-post.html

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

This probably isn't the best place for this, but this is almost the catch all Disney thread these days, and some of you might find it interesting.

Just got an email, Chase is releasing 3 new StarWars designs for the Chase Disney Visa.

It also seems there's no longer any different card designs for standard/premier card holders. It kind of sucks though as the current designs we have are no longer there. I have the Lightning McQueen card, and my wife has the Mickey/Minnie in love card. Neither design is listed any longer. Not that big of a Star Wars fan, but I bet these are going to be popular.

https://disneyrewards.com/card-designs/

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared
Oh hell yeah I can change my card to Darth Vader!

Honkey Magoo
Jun 22, 2005
So I have a trip planned for the week of Christmas, which from what I am seeing is one of the busiest times to visit. I would like to get my son into the Jedi Training Academy but with the large crowds I am worried it will fill up. I booked a breakfast for Hollywood &Vine before the park opens and am hoping I can check the family in and then run my son over to sign up. Does anyone have any experience with signing up and does this seem like it should work? Any suggestions are welcome.

Uziel
Jun 28, 2004

Ask me about losing 200lbs, and becoming the Viking God of W&W.

Honkey Magoo posted:

So I have a trip planned for the week of Christmas, which from what I am seeing is one of the busiest times to visit. I would like to get my son into the Jedi Training Academy but with the large crowds I am worried it will fill up. I booked a breakfast for Hollywood &Vine before the park opens and am hoping I can check the family in and then run my son over to sign up. Does anyone have any experience with signing up and does this seem like it should work? Any suggestions are welcome.
I have no idea what it would be like during Christmas week, but I was there in early June. I didn't have a reservation for breakfast so I had to wait until the park actually opens. I was one of the first people in line though. When the park opened, I ran both of my kids in a stroller over there. The employees kept yelling to not run but others started running when they turned away. I made it over there to the sign up and got both of my kids in a time of my choosing.

It was total madness and worth it! I'm guessing you'll have an easier time with the reservation but Christmas week could make it even more competitive to get a spot.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
It's first come, first served as you can imagine people are making the beeline when the gates open.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm planning a November 2016 trip. I've heard it can be crazy busy one week and dead the next. Anybody have a good bunch of dates that it would be dead?

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
I've gone the first week of November, usually Election Day through Sunday. The beginning of the week is great but by the end of the week it gets moderately busy. New Jersey teachers convention is at the end of the week and we get a four day weekend so you get the NJ invasion. It's also toward the tail end of Food and Wine fest. Still a decent week to go. I think you'll also get build up the other weeks the closer to Thanksgiving you get.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The wine and dine half marathon is also around the second Saturday of the month, and gets pretty crowded. I would say anytime after that until a few days before thanksgiving is a good time.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm planning a November 2016 trip. I've heard it can be crazy busy one week and dead the next. Anybody have a good bunch of dates that it would be dead?

Every time I've gone (and my trip in a few months this year) has been the week before thanksgiving, leaving the fri/sat before thanksgiving week. Typically pretty empty at all the parks, get to catch Food & Wine for a few days, then enjoy Epcot the rest of the week without all the jackasses who are stupid drunk, and they seem to be running rides at full capacity even though there aren't crowds for it, I'd assume testing for thanksgiving week? Whatever it is, it's a good time to go.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

On the subject of datechat: can someone vouch for the accuracy of the calendars at Your First Visit? Things seem well reasoned, but as with all things, I'd love the input of the goon hivemind.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Boxman posted:

On the subject of datechat: can someone vouch for the accuracy of the calendars at Your First Visit? Things seem well reasoned, but as with all things, I'd love the input of the goon hivemind.

Just looking at the dates we're going next year they seem a little high. We're going March 10th to 18th and they have those dates pegged at 11. It's going to be insane as it's spring break season. Touringplans has them rated between 8 and 10 and uncercovertourist has them between 7 and 8.

This year we went the last week of Feb which was supposed to be like a 5/10 crowd wise and some days it was way busier than that. The weekends being the worst of course due to good weather and AP holding locals.

Honestly, just expect insane crowds, the economy getting better and a lot of pent up demand for WDW means they're going to be busy no matter when you go. We work around the crowds as much as possible and still have a really good time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah, the crowds are definitely picking up during what was traditionally slow times. It's hard to get an empty park day anymore.