Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kinetica
Aug 16, 2011
Do the japanese DDs ever get good again post-minekaze?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Kinetica posted:

No not really, I mean eventually you get 20km torps and poo poo but at that level all the ships you are trying to kill have 70% torpedo protection, are more agile, and much more accurate if you do get spotted, which the other carrier is going to be doing this a lot more at tier 8+.

Junkozeyne
Feb 13, 2012
Also I guess people just get more used to torpedos the higher in the tiers you go, I definitely had trouble with destroyers in the lower tiers but in Tier6 they are more annoying than dangerous unless you decide to drive forever in a straight line.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I messed around with playing in a window and I'm starting to get a feeling. Bb players what resolutions are you guys playing at? I feel significantly more screwed by the RNG when playing at lower resolutions.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sextro posted:

I messed around with playing in a window and I'm starting to get a feeling. Bb players what resolutions are you guys playing at? I feel significantly more screwed by the RNG when playing at lower resolutions.

Just under 1080p

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just under 1080p

And also post how much you think the RNG matters.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Kinetica posted:

Reload times go up a lot post minekaze, but the IJN DDs aren't bad by any stretch. They just become very reliant on their gimmick, long range torpedoing dumb nerds. The Mutsuki is a rough spot, as it has neither great torpedoes nor good turrets (this will be changed in the next patch), but the Hatsuharu and Fubuki both have far more serviceable guns, and decent torpedoes. The Kagero's guns are as good as the Hatsuharu's with an extra double turret (until final hull, but you don't need it), and gains access to the extremely damaging and long range long lance torpedoes, and the Shimakaze is supremely fast, with the Fubuki's fast turning turrets, and 3 quintuple tubes carrying the most deadly torpedoes in the game.

Washout posted:

No not really, I mean eventually you get 20km torps and poo poo but at that level all the ships you are trying to kill have 70% torpedo protection, are more agile, and much more accurate if you do get spotted, which the other carrier is going to be doing this a lot more at tier 8+.

The highest damage reduction value I've seen in the game is 55%. Unless that 70% is for the Zao, I'm pretty sure nothing gets THAT ridiculous of a torpedo damage reduction. And torpedo bulges only protect the midsection of a ship, damage to bow and stern is 90% max damage until those areas start to run out of HP.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Sextro posted:

And also post how much you think the RNG matters.

A lot. I'm playing the Wyoming, new York, and south Carolina though.

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
I don't know if it's rng or just more situational awareness but I seem to do better when I'm playing on my desktop at 3440x1440 34" than my little 15" 1920x1080.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
I can only land my 20 km BB shots when I'm playing on my 10000x9000 60" monitor on my alienware pc

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Hey, boats are beautiful in hi res :colbert:

Michi88
Sep 15, 2012

Still a Pubbie Magnet
How does it work!?
:livintrope:

Raged posted:

Really does anyone honestly care about the e-peen multiple screen shots of your scores? Who honestly gives a rats rear end. Break 10k exp sure post it but other wise no one gives a gently caress.
:fap:

Also, howiplayBB.jpg

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
Are there any mods with a damage log for received damage? I don't like not knowing who just took off a ton of damage.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
Is the Fuso awesome? It looks freakin sweet with all those cannons

TehKeen
May 24, 2006

Maybe she's born with it.
Maybe it's
cosmoline.

It's apparently p good once upgraded.

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

New Mexico is better!

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
New Mexico has better armour and gun layout but is slower and shorter range. The Warspite is just as fast (24 vs 25 knots) with fewer but larger and shorter range guns and better secondaries. I think it's slightly better armoured too. The Fuso is the fastest of the bunch and has great range but suffers from weaker armour and poor gun layout.

That being said, I do like it and feel like if your team is working together at all it offers a stronger support to your team because it can move fast enough and has range enough to support your team nearly all the time. Quite often I'll see New Mexico's who have taken a wrong turn or have been forced by the battle into a bad position struggle to make any meaningful contribution to the match after the first few clashes.

Daylen Drazzi
Mar 10, 2007

Why do I root for Notre Dame? Because I like pain, and disappointment, and anguish. Notre Dame Football has destroyed more dreams than the Irish Potato Famine, and that is the kind of suffering I can get behind.
Just had one of the most one-sided matches I have ever been a part of. I died in my Nicholas, but not before I planted 4 torps into the nose of a Colorado. He had to burn his repair party, and then a fellow DD put another one in his side and lit him on fire. The rest of the team was scarily competent and took the enemy down like bowling pins. Final score was 1000 to 9.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Razzled posted:

Is the Fuso awesome? It looks freakin sweet with all those cannons

Stock is like punching yourself in the donger. You have no range and no speed.

Upgraded, oh yes, it's much much more fun.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice

Daylen Drazzi posted:

Just had one of the most one-sided matches I have ever been a part of. I died in my Nicholas, but not before I planted 4 torps into the nose of a Colorado. He had to burn his repair party, and then a fellow DD put another one in his side and lit him on fire. The rest of the team was scarily competent and took the enemy down like bowling pins. Final score was 1000 to 9.
I had 1000 to 11 once. Before that happened I had no idea it was possible to lose by that much and still lose by points

pidgeotto-san
May 1, 2003

FAULT LINE THUNDERDOME

FOUR FIVE SHIPS ENTER, ONE NO SHIPS LEAVE

TSBX
Apr 24, 2010

Not depicted is the collision indicator for the... patch of open water directly in front of me that I beached and died upon.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

pidgeotto-san posted:

FAULT LINE THUNDERDOME

FOUR FIVE SHIPS ENTER, ONE NO SHIPS LEAVE

Fault Line Thunderdome in a Clemson or Nicholas is some of the most fun you can have in WoWS.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I think what I like about the Zao is that I always feel like I can contribute. I can always do whatever needs to be done, even if not as well as some other ship. I no longer get to say "nope, can't do it" when it needs to be done.

Sorry about you getting smacked a lot last game Duros.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT

Hencoe posted:

[SEAMN] pink submarine icon

Quoting because im a petty little poo poo and want in on the hot barrel action.
Sent in an app

DurosKlav
Jun 13, 2003

Enter your name pilot!

wdarkk posted:

I think what I like about the Zao is that I always feel like I can contribute. I can always do whatever needs to be done, even if not as well as some other ship. I no longer get to say "nope, can't do it" when it needs to be done.

Sorry about you getting smacked a lot last game Duros.

That was my fault. I didnt think both Yamatos would be around the corner. So I had to hit the brakes but I wasnt quick enough.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Playing the Cleveland feels kind of boring so far. You just kinda sit at range and poo poo HE all over everything while your mystery citadel stays unpenetrated and you dodge occasionally. Like, it's really effective but it's not that fun.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009

Night10194 posted:

Playing the Cleveland feels kind of boring so far. You just kinda sit at range and poo poo HE all over everything while your mystery citadel stays unpenetrated and you dodge occasionally. Like, it's really effective but it's not that fun.

I didn't care for the Cleveland because it felt like the shells were basically being lobbed underhanded.

Servicio en Espanol
Feb 5, 2009
Pensacola is better, though. Sorta. Citadel is definitely a lot easier for the enemy to find. I enjoy the better AA, but in other respects I liked the Omaha better.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Servicio en Espanol posted:

I didn't care for the Cleveland because it felt like the shells were basically being lobbed underhanded.

Actually, I find that makes it better. You have to lead a lot, but the HE raining all over their deck sets multiple fires, does more damage, and fucks more modules.

Also, yeah, the Omaha is just more fun to actually play.

Night10194 fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Aug 24, 2015

axelord
Dec 28, 2012

College Slice
Man I love using AP in my Cleveland. You can citadel pretty much any same or lower tier CA. You'd be surprised how effective this is too, because everyone is shooting HE at you while your getting citadel hits.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Omaha (well, Murmansk and Omaha after patch) is better for its tier than Cleveland :colbert:

I haven't bought a Cleveland yet so I'm going off the end of closed beta, but as far as I know Cleveland hasn't been improved since. Omaha gets that extra buff in the next patch, and release matchmaking gives you more interwar scout cruisers to kill :madmax:

Playing Aoba is kind of like Chai sniping but there's more variation than there was in Cleveland games, and fighting battleships is something other than just "hope fire chance RNG is good!" You can even shoot AP at them!

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Aug 24, 2015

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've finally fully-upgraded my New York, and I feel like I have a BB that can somewhat reliably citadel cruisers. Is there a set of guides or resources that tell you where to shoot ships? Coming from Tanks, it's really weird not knowing where to shoot/aim.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
Cleveland does not need improving. And like axelord said, AP can be surprisingly effective in the Cleveland. They penetrate more than you might expect, given their lower velocity and floaty feeling.

PerrineClostermann posted:

I've finally fully-upgraded my New York, and I feel like I have a BB that can somewhat reliably citadel cruisers. Is there a set of guides or resources that tell you where to shoot ships? Coming from Tanks, it's really weird not knowing where to shoot/aim.
General rule of thumb is at the waterline under the smokestacks to hit the boiler or engine rooms. Except for the Cleveland, which has two smaller citadels. One under the aft funnel, and one slightly ahead of the foreward funnel. Someone posted the Cleveland diagram again a few pages back. There are also magazines under turrets, but those are much smaller and harder to hit without a standard location and tend to be under the waterline.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Shooting a Cleveland's citadel is a little like finding out headshots won't work and you need to shoot a guy in the hands. Same target area, but split up into two small areas and against what you've learned from shooting almost every other boat.

Also, putting 8 shots into a Furutaka's citadel with a Nicholas and winning a gunfight with him straight up is loving hilarious.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
This site has (self selected) average stats for all the servers. It more or less supports everything the SEA stats said. Hashidate is super OP. :shobon:

grrarg posted:

Cleveland does not need improving.

It certainly doesn't. Murmansk/post patch Omaha is just better tier for tier than Cleveland was in CBT, and Cleveland hasn't gotten any stronger.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I'm astonished to see the Myogi has a lower kill rate than the Furutaka. Once you get used to it, the Myogi is fine. Not good, but fine.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.

James Garfield posted:

This site has (self selected) average stats for all the servers. It more or less supports everything the SEA stats said. Hashidate is super OP. :shobon:
That site is interesting and very depressing. Like this guy with over 2150 battles and a 43.5% win rate.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

James Garfield posted:

It certainly doesn't. Murmansk/post patch Omaha is just better tier for tier than Cleveland was in CBT, and Cleveland hasn't gotten any stronger.

How surprising. Of the top 10 boats with the highest win rates, 6 of them are CVs. The top 12 survival rates are CVs. I'll say nothing more on the matter.

Of all the games I've played so far, I've never shaked more after a game. Perhaps the most thrilling end to a game I've had yet, torping a hostile Hatsuharu I disabled, then running from a Fuso and Atago swerving left and right. If there had been one more hostile boat alive, I'd have gotten Solo Warrior. I'm still getting over the adrenaline rush on this game. This is what pushed me over to get the Long Lances too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

How surprising. Of the top 10 boats with the highest win rates, 6 of them are CVs. The top 12 survival rates are CVs. I'll say nothing more on the matter.

Seems that with a CV you might be able to consistently play High tier game even without premium.
Repair cost hurt a lot after T8, for a 1000 base XP game you lose money if you sink at T9 (with premium).